Abel to Yzerman

The Bottom Line

from Dana Wakiji of DetroitRedWings.com,

"What I did as a player, I did as a player. It's done, I can't do anything about that now," Yzerman said. "I have goals, I have things I want to do. One, I want to be a general manager, I want to win a Stanley Cup as a general manager. I wanted to do that in Tampa. I didn't get the job done. How the people in Tampa feel is one thing. I know how I feel about it and I'm disappointed. It makes me more determined to be more successful.

"But I'm coming back to Detroit not worrying about, oh, what happens if I don't get the job done? I'm coming in thinking I'm going to do everything I possibly can to do a good job here, to make this team competitive. That's hard to do. And I'm hoping we can win a Stanley Cup. At the end of the day, I'm going to do everything I can, I'm going to do my best and how I'm judged down the line, I understand how pro sports work and I'm not afraid of that."

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Michael Traikos of the National Post,

Now that he’s back in Detroit, where he’s won as a player and as part of the management team, don’t necessarily expect success to immediately follow. Listening to him speak on Friday, it didn’t sound like he was in a rush to win championships. Rather, he sounded a lot like Brendan Shanahan laying out his Shanaplan.

There was no talk of ending a three-year playoff drought or being aggressive in free agency. There were no promises, except the promise of a long-term plan and sticking with it.

This isn’t the same situation Yzerman found himself in nine years ago when he inherited a Lightning team with Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman already on the roster and immediately took them to the conference final.

The Red Wings, who finished with the fourth-worst record in the NHL, has no one close to that skill level, though Dylan Larkin is coming off a 73-point season and Filip Zadina is a highly regarded prospect. To make matters more challenging, they have $79.5-million committed to 18 players next season.

No wonder he looked happy to be on the job earlier than expected.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/19 at 08:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

So what’s next for Ken Holland?

In the immediate future, a promotion in the Red Wings’ front office.

Long term, it’ll be interesting to watch.

Holland, the Red Wings’ longtime general manager, was elevated to senior vice president Friday upon Steve Yzerman returning to the organization and taking over as general manager.

Holland, 63, was excited about the return of Yzerman — the two have strong friendship and admire each other — to the Wings’ organization.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/19 at 09:02 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Craig Custance of The Athletic,

“It’s an emotional day for a whole lot of reasons,” Holland said. “I’m excited for Steve. I love Steve. But you’re not the boss anymore.”

And by you, he means himself.

“I’ve been a boss for a third of my life — 22 years,” Holland said. “That’s a long, long time. I’m 63, I still feel like I have a lot of passion. I feel like I have a ton of energy. It’s a little bit of a mixed-emotion day.”

When explaining why he did it, he pointed to the chest of the person asking the question. It’s for the logo that would go right there on the hockey sweater. He faced a moment when he could dig in and try to keep his current position or he could try to find a solution that put the franchise first.

He thought of all the times he called players into his office and asked them to change the way they played. Or asked them to spend more time in Grand Rapids for the good of the team. Or maybe take a little less money to add another player under the salary cap.

more ($$$)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/19 at 09:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News on a few topics including,

Zetterberg has heard the speculation about Pavel Datsyuk possibly returning to the NHL, but Zetterberg isn’t necessarily buying it.

Datsyuk, who will be 41 in July, floated the idea of possibly returning to the NHL this season — or remaining in Russia’s KHL (he is a free agent this summer).

“I’ve heard rumors he still wants to play and where that is, I don’t know,” Zetterberg said. “I’m not sure if he wants to come play in the NHL and he’s been out for five years now. He’s gotta be old.

“But, obviously, if he decides to come back, I don’t see him in another place where he can play (than Detroit).”

more topics..

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/19 at 10:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The GRG had lost 9 in a row, Yzerman takes over and GRG defeat Chicago 5-1 in first playoff game.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/19 at 11:02 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

I think Holland winds up in Seattle.  With all that new money to play around with, he can get busy signing guys in their 30’s to long term contracts.

Posted by WingDingy on 04/20/19 at 12:04 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area

Sure. It makes sense. Now the kids know their path to the NHL isn’t going to be blocked by Holland’s love affair with washed-up vets on ridiculous contracts. Stevie Y’s hiring has given everyone, from the players to the fans, a burst of energy and some real hope for the future.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/20/19 at 12:08 AM ET

Alan's avatar

That’s a challenge, for sure, and it’s gonna certainly make some things pretty sticky moving through FA and into camp. But there’s still options, and Stevie has some time to look over those options and crunch the numbers.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/20/19 at 01:22 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/20/19 at 12:08 AM ET

Or the losing streak coincided with all the call-ups to DET, and winning again coincides with them all finally coming back down and re-integrating to the lineup.

Posted by Primis on 04/20/19 at 09:02 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Primis on 04/20/19 at 09:02 AM ET

How dare you desecrate the holiness of Yzer’s return with your blasphemy. Off with your head, I say.

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/20/19 at 09:08 AM ET