Abel to Yzerman

That Was Nice…Back To The West

It's been exciting, this three game stint against the East. Everything we expected. A little rougher, a little more tense. A couple of patsies and a lay-down against the Big, Bad Bruins.

Glad you liked it.  Because here comes the same old, same old...Gary's Coyotes.

We know. Shane Doan makes mean faces.

It's a Live Blog and I'm late so get started.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 6 7 8

Mandingo's avatar

ing if they lost and at least looked competitive, but this is unacceptable.  No this doesn’t keep them out of the playoffs and yes it’s still only 4 games in, but how do you not show up for 2 of those 4 games.

2 of 4 games? They’ve only showed up for 2 periods so far this year.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 10/10/13 at 10:17 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

If I have to hear “start on time” anymore….........every fuching game starts on time.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/10/13 at 10:18 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I need to murder countless innocent people now.

Interesting.

And here I thought the fact I flipped off my cat when she meowed for food was a bit of an over-reaction.

I feel in control now.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/10/13 at 10:20 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I need a new sport.

I know it’s reviled on this side of the pond, but you should consider looking overseas and check out football. With expanding US tv coverage, the interwebs and last years lock-out, I’ve been following the EPL much closer and have finding the joy that has been sucked out of American sport (and in particular NHL hockey.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 10/10/13 at 10:21 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I feel in control now.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/10/13 at 10:20 PM ET

Eh, this shit-show of a hockey game is only the tip of the iceberg, my friend; real life rears its ugly head a little too often around me.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/10/13 at 10:21 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Nyquist is down in Grand Rapids because Babcock wouldn’t play him over some crusty, way-past-their-sell-by-date veterans. Hudler and FIllpula are great players, but didn’t “flourish” in Detroit because they weren’t utilized properly.

This is ridiculous.  I get that many of you are all aflutter with the chance to rip Babcock, but let’s stick to things that are not imaginary?  Quincey and Smith have done the opposite of developing in the last two years.  That’s on the coaching staff and is a damn good reason to rip Babcock.  But what I quoted above?  Come on, let’s keep it at least tangentially related to reality.

Nyquist is in GR for cap and roster space reasons, not because he wouldn’t be playing.  Babcock seems to trust him (and for whatever reason doesn’t trust Tatar).  Hudler was utilized as a third-line forward with limited minutes, PP time and almost entirely offensive zone starts (09, before he split to Russia).  He played on the second line for the entire season his first year back with the Wings, opposite Filppula with Z centering them.  Filppula was also a semi-effective second line center for the entire 08 playoffs, when he, Sammy (yeah, that Sammy) and Franzen provided the illusive secondary scoring we’ve missed since ‘09.  In the years that followed he’s either been played as a shut-down third line center then as an offensive player as second-line wing, with occasional shifts to second-line center when, like last season, Z played with Pav instead of centering the second line.

That’s… about as good an attempt at proper utilization as two guys like that can expect to have.  We saw their best and they didn’t flourish because they’re not great players.  They’re merely above-average players and are paid like great players by their new teams.  That’s why they have new teams.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 10/10/13 at 10:29 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 10/10/13 at 10:29 PM ET

So you’re saying that Babcock’s desire for and propensity to play guys like Sammy and Cleary aren’t related at all to Nyquist and Tatar’s lack of playing time?

Not even a little bit?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/10/13 at 10:45 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 10/10/13 at 10:29 PM ET

Also, try to express your opinion without being quite so inflammatory, eh? Your opinion isn’t the only one out there, you know.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/10/13 at 10:48 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I do agree that his handling of Tatar is borderline criminal; I should’ve explicitly said that earlier.  That and the Quincey/Smith regression is bewildering to me in its continuance.  I know we saw the holes in Lashoff’s game at the end of last season but he would at least bring more to the table with his consistency than either Quincey or Smith and it’s not like what he would take away (a ton of offensive upside) is being realized at the moment.

But to actually address your question; yeah, I do think Babcock’s affinity for very defensively responsible veteran forwards who are clearly closing in on done is a all of the reason Tatar isn’t playing.  And it sucks.  But what I was rebutting earlier was Nyquist’s status and Hudler/Filppula’s worth. I just think those guys weren’t ever as good as we wanted them to be.  They’re kinda like Q and Bs on that regard.

As far as the tone of my previous post goes; point taken.  I thought I’d done a better job of making it clear I included myself in the “not enthralled with Babcock right now camp” which would’ve made it seem a bit more tongue in cheek than it did but, eh, it doesn’t read at all how I’d like for it to have.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 10/10/13 at 11:58 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, at least one Detroit team showed up to play tonight. Impressive job by Verlander.

As for the Wings, wow, that was brutal. And no one was worse than Smith. I don’t see how Babcock can let him play on Saturday. Lashoff at least deserves a chance.

And it must do Tatar a whole lot of good to sit in the press box and watch “Sammy Sh!t Shot” stink up the ice for a whopping seven minutes. Imagine the knowledge he must have gained from watching that.

And just to really make things suck, think about this: Filppula and Brunner each have three goals in four games, and Weiss and Cleary have 1 goal between them. Talk about salt in the wound.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/11/13 at 12:47 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/11/13 at 12:47 AM ET

Dont forget to include Alfredsson…

Posted by pgoody on 10/11/13 at 01:25 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/11/13 at 12:47 AM ET

For a team in need of scoring, I’ve felt letting Brunner go was/is a mistake. Flip for Weiss is trade I can live with.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 10/11/13 at 09:04 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/11/13 at 12:47 AM ET
Posted by SnLO from the sub-great white north on 10/11/13 at 09:04 AM ET

No kidding. I would have taken an up and coming Brunner over AARP Fredo any day of the week.

Nyquil in GR isn’t Babs fault. That is a 100% KH/FrontOffice F-up. They FUBARed the cap and Nyquil is the odd man out because he could be sent down without clearing waivers. Nquil is in GR for the LOOONNNGGG term. He won’t be called up until there is a season ending injury or a trade, because once he plays his second game with the Wings, he can’t be sent down without clearing waivers.

The only way out of this mess is to break some rules. How about bribing Stevie Y to take Samy and Samy to accept a trade? Samy ought to be easy to buy off with a well-paid no show job in the organization after he retires. But what do you bribe Stevie with?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 10/11/13 at 12:21 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 10/11/13 at 12:21 PM ET

Sammie and Smith for future consideration ... we all know there won’t be any anyway ....  does the NHL even keep track of those?  :-D

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 10/12/13 at 12:47 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

(http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/smith-out-tonight)  looks like we got our wish

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 10/12/13 at 12:48 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 6 7 8