Abel to Yzerman

St. James: Wings Land The Swiss Kid

Interesting start to the day by the Wings.

Helene St. James

The Detroit Red Wings appear to have reeled in Damien Brunner, a sought-after European unrestricted free agent.

Swiss media is reporting Brunner will sign with the Wings. Attempts to reach general manager Ken Holland by the Free Press were not immediately successful. Brunner can reach a deal any time, as he’s not associated with any NHL team at the moment, but he can’t sign until July 1.

Brunner is 26 and a star scorer in the Swiss league. He led the league in scoring with 24 goals and 36 assists in 45 games last season. He had 46 points in 40 games in 20-10-11, and 23 goals among 58 points in ‘09-10.

He’s drawn interest from numerous NHL teams including Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington, Montreal, and Philadelphia, among others.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If Kenny signed Jesus Christ some people would still complain he isn’t big enough and can’t score on his backhand.

That’s just nonsense. Everyone knows Jesus Christ is a goalie.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/22/12 at 11:30 AM ET

True, Jesus saves.

Besides, while he was pretty good with them in his younger days, he had an incident with his hands that really hurt his stickhandling abilities.

I’m also saying he can’t hit a curveball.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/12 at 01:56 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

What about a #1 iron?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 06/22/12 at 02:08 PM ET

calquake's avatar

That’s just nonsense. Everyone knows Jesus Christ is a goalie.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/22/12 at 11:30 AM ET

True, Jesus saves.

I’m also saying he can’t hit a curveball.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/12 at 11:56 AM ET

Yeah but he once took four nacho snacks and a Big Gulp and fed an entire arena.  However it was in NYC and Bloomberg fined him for violating the new beverage law.

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 02:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Oh yeah, Jesus is bad-ass at golf. He plays #17 at TPC Sawgrass like nobody else can.

He’s also good at boxing. Jesus packs a mean cross.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/12 at 02:14 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Per HockeyDB: Height 5.10—Weight 176
Ooofff….

According to EliteProspects.com, Brunner is 5’11 and 187 lbs. – about the size of Zetterberg or Parise. And they describe him as:

A slick offensive forward who can shoot as well as pass the puck. Has great wheels and hands. Plays a gritty game.

I think it may be that “Plays a gritty game” part that attracted the Wings. That and the fact that he was 3-4-7 in seven games at the Worlds and 11-6-17 in 20 games in International competition.

Maybe he’s gonna be Brunnstrom’s replacement in GR if Fabian doesn’t make the Wings. My recollection is he said he’d go back to Europe if he wasn’t on the Wings’ roster in October.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/22/12 at 02:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

He’s also good at boxing. Jesus packs a mean cross.

You guys are all going to hell. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/22/12 at 02:20 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Yeah what else is new?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 06/22/12 at 02:22 PM ET

True, Jesus saves.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/12 at 11:56 AM ET

But Homer puts in the rebound

Posted by Blas Phemous from Purgatory and heading south on 06/22/12 at 02:27 PM ET

Per HockeyDB: Height 5.10—Weight 176

Well, we did draft a couple of undersized skinny kids in Yzerman, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg and they turned out pretty well.

We’ve nothing to lose here.  We know that a few kids are coming up from GR expecting to take up some roster spaces permanently.  Nill wants to make sure GR’s prepared for their season as well.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/22/12 at 02:31 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I am on a bus with 50 people in Portland OR, and they all want to know why I am laughing so hard that I can’t talk.

Those are the best Jesus jokes ever, who cares about the Swiss guy when we have these?

Posted by dougie on 06/22/12 at 02:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

No risk, high possible reward. Excellent probable signing.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/22/12 at 02:38 PM ET

No risk, high possible reward. Excellent probable signing.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/22/12 at 12:38 PM ET

We’re talking ‘bout Jesus here, right?  wink

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/22/12 at 02:44 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I am on a bus with 50 people in Portland OR,

Warn them that that’s how communes start. cheese

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 02:45 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I am on a bus with 50 people in Portland OR,

When she gets wooley, try a little tenderness?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 06/22/12 at 02:47 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

He’s also good at boxing. Jesus packs a mean cross.

You guys are all going to hell.
Posted by OlderThanChelios on 06/22/12 at 12:20 PM ET

I have a Last Supper one-liner that locked that trip up for me already.  I’m afraid to make it public here out of respect for people’s sensibilities.  I know, that would be a first for me.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/22/12 at 02:59 PM ET

That’s just nonsense. Everyone knows Jesus Christ is a goalie.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/22/12 at 11:30 AM ET

He tried playing forward for awhile but he got tired of getting NAILED TO THE BOARDS. Zing!

Posted by LGRWeh on 06/22/12 at 03:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by RWBill from missing the Tiki Bar at The Shores, Daytona Beach. on 06/22/12 at 12:59 PM ET

You cocktease.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/12 at 03:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

“Don’t F—- with The Jesus”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/22/12 at 03:06 PM ET

That’s a lot like getting a lap dance from you, Bill.  wink

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/22/12 at 03:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

You cocktease.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/12 at 01:04 PM ET

Well, seeing as LGRW opened up the floodgates already,

Who paid for the Last Supper?

Jesus got nailed for it.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/22/12 at 03:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well, this is good, amid all the anxiety instead of piling on each other, we pile on JC.

The wisdom of that in the long run remains to be seen.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/22/12 at 03:12 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I think it may be that “Plays a gritty game” part that attracted the Wings.
Posted by OlderThanChelios on 06/22/12 at 12:19 PM ET

If true I change my “Oooffff…” into a “Hmmm….”

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/22/12 at 03:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by RWBill from missing the Tiki Bar at The Shores, Daytona Beach. on 06/22/12 at 01:09 PM ET

Hahaha

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/12 at 03:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

What did you say his name was?  Fabian Brunnstrom?  Ville Leino?

Posted by monkey from lighting my nuts on fire on 06/22/12 at 09:04 AM ET

I think you’re aiming a bit high with those comparisons even.

This seems like another Michael Hackert signing to me:  one where the guy did fine in a Euro league a rung below the KHL’s and SEL’s (or even the SM Liga).  Hackert came from the DEL, was a complete disaster in the AHL, and left back for the DEL all within the span of what, 20 AHL games or less?

Or maybe Per Ledin is another apt comparison.

I get the “low risk, high potential reward” angle, but until I see something from the guy I could really give a crap about the signing because odds are it’s meaningless and he’ll be back in Switzerland by Christmas.  That’s just how these generally work.  You don’t sign guys from the DEL, NLA, Erst Banke, etc… and ever have it work out very well.

Posted by Primis on 06/22/12 at 03:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yes I may have been knee-jerk skeptical.  How does gritty in a Swiss league compare with gritty versus rural, 6-4 Canadiens?  Just curious.

This could be a find, as Holmstrom, Hudler and Emmerton are whisked aside.  Adding “Parise” or a Plan B, plus this guy, plus signing Helm and Abby, plus returning a hopefully healthy Eaves, and we’re probably at 13 or more Forwards.  If he doesn’t show well in Camp will he accept seasoning in GR, or go back to Switzerland?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/22/12 at 03:33 PM ET

dougie's avatar

A2Y, ya come for the hockey, ya stay so you can burn in hellfire.

Posted by dougie on 06/22/12 at 03:34 PM ET

I’ll take the Swiss kid since he didn’t cost us anything, and more than makes up for not having a 1st round pick this season, hell he’s probably a better bet than most draft picks.  He cost us nothing and he may well pan out.

BUT….  Kenny has a lot bigger fish to land than this minnow.

I want Suter AND Parise, nothing less.

With the team’s reputation/history/commitment to winning, and the amount of cap space Kenny has to work with this season, I expect no less.

Posted by Matt from Saginaw on 06/22/12 at 03:45 PM ET

Jesus got nailed for it.

A2Y, ya come for the hockey, ya stay so you can burn in hellfire.

Posted by dougie on 06/22/12 at 01:34 PM ET

Yeah, I’m already on the damnation train. The rest of you lot should learn some reverence before it’s too late!

P.S. To stay hockey related, I don’t really care about this signing… it doesn’t outrage me, it doesn’t make my pants tight… it’s just kind of ‘meh’

Posted by LGRWeh on 06/22/12 at 03:53 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I want Suter AND Parise, nothing less.
Posted by Matt from Saginaw on 06/22/12 at 01:45 PM ET

This ^^^^ and I also DEMAND toughness and a backup goaler. I’m very demanding, I am.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/22/12 at 03:58 PM ET

calquake's avatar

A2Y, ya come for the hockey, ya stay so you can burn in hellfire.

One of youse guys pass the marshmallows fer christ’s sake.

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 04:40 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

You guys are all going to hell. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 06/22/12 at 12:20 PM ET

we pretty much had that spot in hell reserved the day we started claiming Baby Jesus owes us a Stanley Cup.  Whatever.  Voox will be there with alcohol.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/22/12 at 04:48 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/22/12 at 02:48 PM ET

it’s Hell, so I’m guessing the only alcohol will be 3:2 beer that really does taste like piss.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/22/12 at 04:53 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I guess I will be burning with the rest of the 19.

Jesus is coming…
...get a towel

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/22/12 at 04:55 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Jesus is coming…
...get a towel

Or at least some Kleenex…

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 05:28 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

you guys kill me.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/22/12 at 05:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Jesus wouldn’t be good on road trips either.  Have you ever seen him on a plane? He keeps trying to Pontius Pilate.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/12 at 05:52 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Went to a swap meet with Jesus and he kept buying up all the dashboard icons… he thought they were hilarious.  And talk about an expert at haggling… you’d think he was a… great negotiator.

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 06:18 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Would Jesus take as long as the jury is taking to decide the fate of Jerry Sandusky?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/22/12 at 06:24 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Only if he wanted to get crucified… again.

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 06:57 PM ET

The best way to beat Jesus is high, stick side.

Posted by monkey from my dumbphone on 06/22/12 at 07:19 PM ET