Abel to Yzerman

Spokes In A Great Big Winged Wheel

I'm writing this at 0900 PST and the last thing George told me was that William Tell is in for the Strangler.  Note to Sobotka, reinforce the glass behind the nets...hell, ALL the glass.  A hail of rubber is headed your way.

I've decided Justin Abdelkader is my huckleberry today.  I have a feeling, an inkling really.  Something tells me this young man is going to be a wrecking ball of a force tonite in front of hockey's greatest fan base, in hockey's greatest arena, with banners hanging down and fat men with red cheeks sputtering while aging Fins, balding assholes and a pansy named Perry get angrier and angrier.

It's a big one.  A big fat one.

Hope you enjoyed your Saturday, used your time wisely to prepare yourselves for what's to come.  Somewhere, Larry Murphy is incoherent.  Somewhere closer Darren Helm is wondering what he's done to baby Jesus.  I keep waiting for the game that he's just, without fanfare, announced as a starter.  Surprise me.  I dig it.  Fairy tales, I know.

It's a Live Blog, you bitches.  Grab your seats.  Unwrap the cheddar.  Hide the pets. Warn the neighbors.  Keep your whore mouths shut unless the situation is clearly deserving.

LGRW. 15 to 12.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 16 17 18 19 >       Next »

DAN M's avatar

This coming from mr strip club. Lol. I don’t need those anymore. Got a beautiful girl here. She walked both dogs and served dinner to me in my lazy boy. All while I was a snarling beast like I am during all red wing games. That’s love.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 09:39 PM ET

Primis's avatar

notice the three blue lines - Abby’s skates on the ice, shoulder to shoulder.

how this is a penalty AT ALL is beyond me.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:30 PM ET

His right skate looks off the ice to me there, I actually see defined space like his skate is up maybe 2 or 3 inches already (hard to tell scale).  I can’t make enough out either way with the left.  but to me his right skate already looks up and off.

The angle from behind Abby shows even clearer his right skate up and off, and possibly his left just coming off the ice.  The third angle behind the net showed nothing either way to be honest save for maybe making the headshot part look more damning..  If Abby had done a Kronwall and led with his butt, I doubt they’d have had any case to call anything though.

And again I want to state: the hit wasn’t going to score DET a goal, or likely to lead to one in any way.  Abby is not a dumb guy, he has to have situational awareness better than that, knowing how tough goals have been to come by for them.  You CANNOT play on the edge like that, you just can’t.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 09:41 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I didn’t follow the LB….but is it a safe assessment that Primis is on the “pussification of the NHL” side of things?

look at the image again.  you can see the shadow of the back of his skate separate from the skate itself…meaning there is distance there.  but the shadow meets the front of his skate.  meaning the front of his skate is still on the ice.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 09:44 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I’d like to say its also fair to say howards grade is INC in my eyes until he gets a frickin back-up who can play. The guys NEVER had one. So many times the back-up gets crapped on.  An end of the road osgood, an end of the road conklin, now monster disapointment gustavsson. Forces howard into back to backs, or more stress cuz they lost the last game with the back-up in there.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 09:45 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I can’t believe I’m defending niemi. Ralph.

Huh, didn’t know Niemi’s first name is Ralph.  The More You Know.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 09:46 PM ET

Primis's avatar

You could see that it deflated the team.  The ensuing PK ...the players just had a demeaner to them that just screamed “Fuch this shit”

Pavel especially.

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 05/04/13 at 10:31 PM ET

It did.

DET wasn’t looking capable of getting a goal before that either though.  Remember the 5-on-3?  DET had maybe 3 or 4 good chances and came away empty, and that set the tone.  Abby’s penalty may have been the final pin to deflate the balloon, but there were already pins in there…

I really don’t want Wings fans pointing to Abby’s penalty as a reason or excuse.  I don’t.  We’re better than that.  Let’s suck it up and admit the team just played like sh*t tonight and this outcome was very likely anyways at the rate they were going.  Let’s not delude ourselves like Bloser, ‘lackhawk, or Cwosby fans would and make fools of ourselves.  We’re better than that, no?

Series is still only 2-1 I guess.  Indicators are poor, but weirder things have happened.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 09:47 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I just watched the Gryba hit.  hadn’t seen it yet. the explanation is basically “he didn’t successfully throw a body check, pretty much missed the check, so he’s suspended.’

if THAT is what they’re suspending people for, not only is Abdelkader done…this league is done.

The ongoing pussification of hockey.  I may have mentioned this before.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/04/13 at 09:52 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Spot on primus. Not even remotely worried about any of this. Series split. New series follows.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 09:52 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:44 PM ET

No I’m on the “Abby did a dumb thing at a dumb time” side of things.  And I’m on the “He’s going to get suspended because that’s what the NHL does” side of things.

*shrug*  I guess different folks are going to see different things then, which is fine.  My initial reaction was “God that was dumb to leap into him, Abby” followed by uncertainty, and then the replays seeming to show him leaping.  Truth is, we could both be right in a way, maybe Abby only did have 1 skate up and another down at the exact instant, but it was close enough in real-time the officials called it.  Remember:  that very argument about leaping is exactly why Kronwall started hitting guys backwards, to eliminate the possibility.

In the end, Abby had nothing to gain in that hit though, regardless.  Nothing.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 09:52 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:47 PM ET

As I said earlier, there is a whole lotta that pie to go around.  The only way this series goes forward for the Wings is if the Red Sweaters decide they will do this as a team, with everyone doing their jobs and ,you know, scoring a fecking goal every now and then.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 09:54 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

of course, there’s also the fact that NHL rules do not include any mention whatsoever about having your skates on the ice for a check.  not that I see, anyway.  correct me if I’m wrong.

it’s all about the “charging” rule, which basically states “if you check a guy too hard it’s a penalty.”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 09:54 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Anyone just wish they refs would choke on their whistles for shits sake. Sick of saying. That penalty that could have went either way affected the outcome of the game.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 09:54 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Seems like the wings only win when its imperative they do. Don’t do urself any favors guys.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 09:58 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

i did not watch the game. We lost 4-0?  Jimmah? What the fuch?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/04/13 at 09:59 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I’m pretty happy I had datsyuk,z and mule on my fantasy challenge tonight. Oh and howard too

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The ongoing pussification of hockey.  I may have mentioned this before.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/04/13 at 10:52 PM ET

Since this LB is dead anyways, I’d like to say something on this whole thing.

The NHL, in trying to legislate certain hits out, is never going to win this war.  There really is no way they can.  I’m not saying that in any defense of them, but to call attention to the futility and that it’s not futile just to certain cases or teams.

In trying to continually write in an absolute rule, they’re always going to get stuff wrong.  The reason is because every single hit exists in its own universe in a way, with its own context.  And there’s absolutely no way the NHL is ever going to be able to get a hard and fast definition and rule that works, because they can’t write a rule long enough and wordy enough to cover every single possible scenario.

Perhaps because they’ve even realized this, they’ve begun then using the aftermath as criteria, intentionally or not.

Call me “resigned”.  The NHL calls things certain ways, and they try to standardize hits.  But that’s only going to guarantee they get a chunk of them very wrong.  It’s less about whether we like the hit or not, and more to do with “That’s what they call, and how they call it”.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:01 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Since I didn’t watch the game I gonna blame Babcock and Sammy? Well for sure I’m going to blame Jimmah.

Leta Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/04/13 at 10:05 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Times like this I can’t wait to hear from George. That guy is the Red Wings whisperer.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:05 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

That loss could be attributed to more than just Jimmah, to be honest. But he sure didn’t help matters. Huge disappointment! Looking for better things on Monday… albeit, probably without Abby.  rolleyes

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/04/13 at 10:06 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 11:01 PM ET

My argument with them is consistency, not what was called.  I see the same actions on the ice but sometimes it’s called… and sometimes it’s not.  I’ve been a fan for 50 years and all of a sudden I don’t know what a penalty is anymore.  I honestly don’t know at times.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 10:10 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 11:01 PM ET

Essentially what this means that, since just about any body contact in a sport that is played at such a high speed has the potential to go awry, virtually any body check of any kind could be construed as worthy of major penalties, suspension, etc. depending on the result of the hit.

Then why not just go ahead and take hitting completely out of the game?  Just adopt the same rules as women’s hockey and be done with it.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/04/13 at 10:11 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

This is playoff hockey. We have to score. You only need to score one goal more goal than the other team to WIN.Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/04/13 at 10:12 PM ET

calquake's avatar

My biggest complaint so far Kate.  Doesn’t matter how well the D plays or the goalie if you don’t outscore the other guys you lose.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 10:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

goalie if you don’t outscore the other guys you lose.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 11:14 PM ET

I get that. I said that. But, Howard has plenty to prove, too He had a 3 goal lead the other night.  Just saying….....

Leta Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/04/13 at 10:26 PM ET

calquake's avatar

He has to prove he’s a playoff goalie.  I don’t see that yet.  The next 2 games would be a great time to steal a few and justify a huge new contract.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 10:35 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

On a related note, I’m watching the WHL playoffs, Portland vs Edmonton tonight and a kid for Edmonton takes a knee-on-knee hit at the blue-line.  Bang bang play at the blue line with both players going full speed— obviously unintentional, but also has to be called.  The Edmonton player, clearly sensing the moment, goes to the ice after the hit and looks around at the officials, then stays on the ice as though perhaps mortally wounded.  The officials, to their credit, refused to buy what he was selling and only gave the Portland player a two-minute penalty, which was absolutely the right call.

Less than thirty seconds after all this, the very same player who was laying on the ice as though he might very well be crippled for life, is back out there going full speed on the power play.  Clearly this was a soccer move—faking an injury in hopes of increasing the severity of the call against the other team.  And therein lies the problem with calling penalties not based on what the referees actually see, but rather on the perceived result of the hit.

We run the danger of the whole sport becoming a farce of diving and fake injuries.  Obviously in the game today, I’m not suggesting Lydman was faking anything, but equally clearly nothing was going to be called, there were no refs arms in the air until Lydman was slow to respond.  Before that?  Nothing.  And there’s absolutely no reason to imagine that a call was forthcoming had it not been for Lydman being shaken up.

So this is what the game is unfortunately becoming.  Rather than having the entire notion of hitting and body-checking subject to a grey area that obviously has players at every level operating under the belief that the injury (as opposed to the intent) is what draws penalties, just go ahead and outlaw hitting.  We’re headed there anyway, so why continue to pretend we’re not?  Just be done with it already.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/04/13 at 10:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/04/13 at 11:11 PM ET

No that’s not the point at all.

I think the solution is to teach the refs to judge each hit, in a vacuum, independently of every other hit.  Judge the given hit’s timing, context, etc, and stop using hard written criteria that may or may not apply to a given situation.  As the situaiton stands now with the rule a guy like Zucarello could get called for Charging on Zdeno Chara because he left his feet, even though that is no advantage to Gerbe whatsoever due to the size deifference.  And that’s ridiculous.

The problem with that is two-fold.  One, the league is already trying to take judgement away from the refs as much as possible, and two… refs currently never take responsibility for anything, and are never accountable so they’re pretty much incapable of that.

MLB has done an interesting thing as of late.  After years of hiding umps from the public and press, they’ve behind the scenes (according to reports) been urging their umps to come out and explain themselves sometimes.  Defend themselves or even own up to everyone if you got it wrong.  And some umps have done exactly that:  come out to defend themselves what they think they did right, or to come out and admit “Hey, I blew it.  I just did”.  And in those cases, it’s helped defuse the controversy some.  If more umps start to take their lumps like that, players and public won’t feel they’re immune, all-powerful, and protected no matter what.  And maybe that’s the kind of thing the NHL needs to do too:  urge the refs to stop hiding in these cases and come forward to either own up to a mistake or defend that they feel it was right.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 11:05 PM ET

His Twitter feed in the 1st period was a descent into madness.  The poor guy is losing it, this team is going to kill him yet.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:41 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Mehn… I used both Zucarello and Gerbe (who both came to mind) above instead of sticking with just one for some weird reason.  Both are tiny dudes.  Take your pick which one you keep.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:43 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Just be done with it already.

I completely understand your point.  Is the WHL doing a better job at it than the NHL?  If so, the NHL can learn, if not, we’re fecked.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 10:44 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I’m just plain and simple…....Disgusted! The other team just disgraced us on home ice! No excuses for that. Not from Babcock, or any player. Period,

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/04/13 at 10:46 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

The hot and oh-so-cold scoring has been a bitch for the Wings and appears to continue to be a hurdle here in the post season, as well. Babcock at one time, attributed the lack of scoring because our scorers were having to play back more to compensate for our defensive weaknesses. I suppose I could buy that, except when the power play goes stone cold. Or when, despite the forwards playing more of a defensive role, we still get 4 goals against.

I don’t know what it is… but 4-0 is indicative of a definite problem.(genius, right?)

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/04/13 at 10:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Watching it was painful after the 1st.  Way too undisciplined and scatter-shot.  Forecheck was imperceptible, oulet passes were hit and miss.  This was just one big sh*t pie.  Shit Pie For Everyone!

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 10:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/04/13 at 11:48 PM ET

As salient as anything any of the “19” have come up with.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 10:53 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Just one last thing. What the FUCH why/was Sammy even in the line up? WTF Was Babbles thinking?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/04/13 at 10:59 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Like you said Kate… top to bottom.  Good night.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 11:00 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Just watched the game.  Although the wings struggled to score at first, that bullshit ejection cost them the game, you can tell it took everything out of them.  Thanks NHL.  Stupid asses.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/04/13 at 11:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/04/13 at 11:59 PM ET

Presumably because Holland and/or the coaches weren’t happy enough with Bert’s performance in Game 2.  After game 2 a bunch of us said Bert was a complete non-factor, and that might not be what they were hoping for with him in.  I’m guessing that’s why they then gave Samuelsson a crack instead.  There’s nobody else at forward they can put in right now unless more guyts go down with injury and they can claim emergency status.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 11:08 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Is the WHL doing a better job at it than the NHL?

Given that the on ice officials are not professionals to anywhere near the degree that NHL officials are purported to be, I’d have to say that they do a pretty good job.  And the game you watch at this level is much more reminiscent of the sport some of us grew up with.  It’s fast, it’s hard-hitting and guess what?  As in any fast, hard-hitting sport, people do get hurt.  Nature of the beast.  NHL Inc. just wants a different beast, that’s all.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for penalizing and suspending players for a cheap shot.  I just don’t happen to think what we saw today in any way qualifies as that.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/04/13 at 11:13 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/05/13 at 12:13 AM ET

If I do move to the Portland/Vancouver area, we will go see some games.  If they are still there in 2-5 years.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 11:21 PM ET

Bent's avatar

After cruising around the web and reading what everyone else thinks about the hit, I am surprised.  Can I really be seeing it that wrong?  EVERYONE thinks it was horribly dirty and suspension worthy.  I still do not see how it targeted the head.  He for sure hit his shoulder, without a doubt.  Going through the body, his head then bounced off his shoulder.  I have watched it several times trying to see it the other way, but I just can’t.  I know I am a wings fan, and for sure I am biased.  But I also can watch a video and see what happens.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it.  I guess I will see what happens tomorrow.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/04/13 at 11:26 PM ET