Abel to Yzerman

Spokes In A Great Big Winged Wheel

I'm writing this at 0900 PST and the last thing George told me was that William Tell is in for the Strangler.  Note to Sobotka, reinforce the glass behind the nets...hell, ALL the glass.  A hail of rubber is headed your way.

I've decided Justin Abdelkader is my huckleberry today.  I have a feeling, an inkling really.  Something tells me this young man is going to be a wrecking ball of a force tonite in front of hockey's greatest fan base, in hockey's greatest arena, with banners hanging down and fat men with red cheeks sputtering while aging Fins, balding assholes and a pansy named Perry get angrier and angrier.

It's a big one.  A big fat one.

Hope you enjoyed your Saturday, used your time wisely to prepare yourselves for what's to come.  Somewhere, Larry Murphy is incoherent.  Somewhere closer Darren Helm is wondering what he's done to baby Jesus.  I keep waiting for the game that he's just, without fanfare, announced as a starter.  Surprise me.  I dig it.  Fairy tales, I know.

It's a Live Blog, you bitches.  Grab your seats.  Unwrap the cheddar.  Hide the pets. Warn the neighbors.  Keep your whore mouths shut unless the situation is clearly deserving.

LGRW. 15 to 12.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 >       Next »

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

At least bust up the shutout c’mon Wings

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/04/13 at 10:07 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

/cheers!

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/04/13 at 10:03 PM ET

Cheers! We may as well enjoy our beverages since this game has gone to hell!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/04/13 at 10:07 PM ET

AxeMaster9's avatar

Those are some dejected looks on that bench.  Good or bad?  Monday shall decide that.

Posted by AxeMaster9 on 05/04/13 at 10:07 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

duh ucks announcers really playing up the hit demanding a suspension

I’ll repeat my earlier comment—worst broadcast crew in any sport anywhere in the universe, ever.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/04/13 at 10:07 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

And I really didn’t say anything bad. I didn’t say he sucks get him out either. I said idk about him

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:07 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The Ducks still are not a good team guys, don’t delude yourself.

If they were, they wouldn’t have taken 3 to crack the Wings open.  The Ducks have been very unimpressive for most of this series, which matches quite well with them seeming overrated through the reg. season.

That’s maybe the worst of it:  this isn’t a powerhouse Ducks team.  They’re still playing like a seed that would be starting out on the road.  And still, the Wings have been impotent.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:07 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

Shutout? Shutout, shutout, shutout… (trying to jinx Hiller)

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/04/13 at 10:10 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Good nite all

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/04/13 at 10:10 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

We’ve seemed to respond pretty well after epic failures like this one. No worries.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:10 PM ET

Primis's avatar

There’s not a minute of drw hockey I’ve missed since jacque demers was coach. I watch. Don’t be mad at me for questioning howard. I love the guy personally.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:06 PM ET

Then why would you openly question Howard because guys are being left wide open on backdoors and scoring goals?  Tonight is everyone’s fault probably BUT Jimmy, without whom the game probably would have been 2-0 or 3-0 much earlier.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:10 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

The Ducks still are not a good team guys, don’t delude yourself.

I never believed they were personally.  To me they’re ripe for the picking.  My opinion has not changed one bit in that regard.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/04/13 at 10:11 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

regroup, boys.

new game Monday.

g’nite 19.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/04/13 at 10:11 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

What absolutely horrible crock of shit execution.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 05/04/13 at 10:11 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

Gaaaaa… that was embarassing. Please let Monday be a better day!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/04/13 at 10:11 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Primus I wish I could share with you all the times I’ve defended howard. Fell on the sword for him.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

well that deteriorated quickly after the first 35 minutes.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/04/13 at 10:13 PM ET

klank's avatar

later ya’ll.. catch ya’s Monday

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/04/13 at 10:13 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Babcock said something yesterday about how the Wings played in the 3rd period Thursday.  everyone got nervous and didn’t want to have the puck.  they played the whole game like that tonight.

it’s lesson time.  hope Babbles can settle down the young guys and remind them that they belong here.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:13 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Why didn’t u say something about the guy who said howard can’t defend right all game. Those remarks seems a tad more scathing than mine.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:13 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

well that deteriorated quickly after the first 35 minutes.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/04/13 at 10:13 PM ET

Only the score.  The game was shit from the whistle.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 05/04/13 at 10:14 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Only the score.  The game was shit from the whistle.

I thought it was a good, tight game.  as tight as my high school girlfriend at homecoming.  in similar fashion, halfway through the night the Wings laid on their backs and took it.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:17 PM ET

calquake's avatar

halfway through the night the Wings laid on their backs and took it.

Methinks they were on their stomachs.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 10:18 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

The more I see that hit the more I see the fact that there was absolutely no penalty there at all.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 05/04/13 at 10:18 PM ET

Hope someone can have that same talk with this officiating crew.  If the Wings had actually put up a fight this game, I’d be screaming bloody murder at the steaming pile the guys in stripes kept adding to all game.  They should be glad their horrible off game didn’t effect the outcome.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/04/13 at 10:19 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

He will. He’s a HOF coach bar none

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:20 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So we probably won’t get to 700 comments tonight after early departures from the LB.

I just don’t know.  I know everyone wants to call Abby’s major a turning point but… the signs were there before all this.  DET wasn’t ever really getting it done, they were already on the edge when the penalty came.

All we can do is hope this was a low point, and not the trend it looks like it might be with this young team.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:13 PM ET

Because it’s possibly legitimate point coming after a GA scored on his right side.  It’s not just bashing Howard after a wide-open backdoor goal he had no control over.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:23 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m betting on the latter.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/13 at 10:23 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I just watched the Gryba hit.  hadn’t seen it yet. the explanation is basically “he didn’t successfully throw a body check, pretty much missed the check, so he’s suspended.’

if THAT is what they’re suspending people for, not only is Abdelkader done…this league is done.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:25 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Its also legit when the point of my comment was if howard deserves such a better contract than those 2 guys. I said IDK if he does or not. It coincided with that goal unintentionally. It didn’t just pop into my head immediately after that goal.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:26 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

To be honest I’m not sure there’s a goalie on earth who deserves 6 years.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:27 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Btw thanks primus for engaging in actual hockey conversation with me. You’re one of the good ones.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:28 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:26 PM ET

His numbers make that fairly clear.  He’s a better goalie than those two even being on a lesser team.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:28 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

ok so in case there is still ANY question, here is the moment of contact on the Abdelkader hit.

notice the three blue lines - Abby’s skates on the ice, shoulder to shoulder.

how this is a penalty AT ALL is beyond me.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:30 PM ET

Primis's avatar

To be honest I’m not sure there’s a goalie on earth who deserves 6 years.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Other teams would be willing to.  Market value rules.

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:30 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/04/13 at 10:21 PM ET

You could see that it deflated the team.  The ensuing PK ...the players just had a demeaner to them that just screamed “Fuch this shit”

Pavel especially.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/04/13 at 10:31 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Primus idk if u heard when I mentioned earlier I’d give up a year of sex for #12. That sentence should show where I’m @ with our team. But u cannot say flat out that Howard is far and away is better than Niemi is.  I can’t believe I’m defending niemi. Ralph.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:32 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

come on, Dan…we all know that going a year without sex isn’t exactly unheard of for you.  not much of a sacrifice there wink

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:36 PM ET

Abdelkader will get suspended because any hit to the head is a suspension.  Suspensions are decided based on re size of the audience, not intent.  Political correctness has now made its way to the NHL, pathetic

Posted by bababooey on 05/04/13 at 10:37 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Just caught up. Damn. This team can either just give up, or just brush it off and be fuching ready to play Monday.
Lashoff looked terrible in the last 18 minutes that I was able to see. Bad judgmental errors that rookies make. Which one of the d pinesitters will play the next game? Brunner needs to go to Cheli’s camp this summer and work on upper body strength.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/04/13 at 10:37 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 >       Next »