Abel to Yzerman

Slip Us A 20

The redolent one said it very well this morning.  This record will be nice because we like records in Hockeytown. We like Cups and puppies and hookers, Charleston Chew and records.  We like consecutive playoff seasons, consecutive seasons as a Captain, consecutive seasons playing for one team, a whole lot of consecutivity.

But for all the records and the banners and all the accolades associated with being the best hockey franchise on earth, one thing is more important and Krupa nailed it.

“Is improving the power play a bigger goal than the NHL record for consecutive wins at home? You bet it is.”

Best article I’ve seen by Krupa since he started showing off his vocabulary to us sometime last year.  This record is nice, and it will be ours because the 8 pounder says so, but it pales compared to getting home ice, staying healthy and fixing the horrible power play.

It’s a Live Blog bitches.  Nice, nifty little record on the line.  20 would be nice.  12 would be better.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 12 13 14

RWBill's avatar

Owosso!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/13/12 at 07:46 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

E-52.  Where’s my

Not This Sh** Again

sign?

20 in 2012!

12 in 2012?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 02/13/12 at 08:09 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

anyone keeping score between JJ & Primis?
anyone? ... anyone? ...
and what are their Corsi numbers???
anyone? ... anyone? ... Bueller? ...

12 in 12

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/13/12 at 08:56 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

anyone keeping score between JJ & Primis?
Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/13/12 at 05:56 PM ET

No, because no one gives a flip.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/14/12 at 12:53 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by Primis on 02/13/12 at 02:14 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/13/12 at 03:31 PM ET

Get a room.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 02/14/12 at 01:05 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Get a room.

Posted by monkey from here to Timbuktu on 02/13/12 at 10:05 PM ET

We’re in a room!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/14/12 at 01:12 AM ET

Primis's avatar

As for Ericsson-for-Lilja.  I would welcome you to propose that at Broad Street Hockey. Lilja wasn’t out of the lineup last night because he was hurt. Peter Laviolette thought it more prudent to go with three rookies on defense against the Red Wings rather than chance having Lilja on the ice.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/13/12 at 03:31 PM ET

I *hated* Lilja.  He was single-handedly responsible for letting the Ducks go to the Cup, and he did it live, in front of me, in the best playoff seats at the Joe I will ever be fortunate enough to get in my life because they were a gift.

Lilja also routinely treated the puck like a grenade.  Not so much because his decision-making was bad, but because his hands just simply sucked.

Lilja did something else though:  Lilja blocked damn shots.  A lot of of them.  And come playoff time, he blocked even more.  Salei then after him blocked shots.  A lot of them.  My dad loved both Lilja and Salei, and in both cases it took a lot of blocked shots for me to warm up to them.  But I did.

I’m still waiting for Error 52 to show his silver lining.  I see only mistakes piled on mistakes.  I see no playoff grit developing, I don’t see him blocking shots.  For every 1 good defensive play a game he makes, he still makes 3 or 4 truly bad ones (hell at what level is that acceptable).

I quite frankly hate Commodore because, God… his skill-set is almost non-existant.  But even HE has started carving out a niche as a guy that will fight you if someone needs fought.  And he’s also replaced just a bit of the agitation and chirping that Samuelsson did well but we never really realized until he left.

The only person that change my opinion of Ericsson, is Ericsson.  With his play.  And quite frankly I don’t think he’s capable of that.

And as for Franzen… *shakes head*  I don’t need any numbers to show his productivity save for the fact he leads the team in Goals, leads the league in GWG.  If he’s failing, then so is every single other player on the whole damn team.

I know everyone’s tired of the Ericsson debate but I don’t care, because last time it came up I really didn’t put anything out there.  Just remember all of this the next time he’s blowing coverage in front of his own net and letting some no-talent assclown like Parros or Talbot score (not even GOOD players, he’s getting beat by the truly crappy ones), and that it’s not HIS fault I guess.

I like, BTW, how nhl.com continues to claim CHI has only lost 5 in a row because they got a single Charity Point 6 games ago.  I’m prettty sure a OTL still counts as a Loss (that’s why the “L” is still in it).  I’m also pretty sure 1 point out of a possible 16 is not good, and I’m pretty sure that still qualifies as Winless in Last 8, but hey whatever.  At least we know DET’s 20 in a row at home doesn’t count, right?

Posted by Primis on 02/14/12 at 10:19 AM ET

Primis's avatar

By the way, in the same vein as absolutely nothing at all, so I open up my Sports Illustrated form the mail yesterday… and what do I see?

In it there’s an article on how hot the LA Kings, that they are the toast of LA, and how Drew Doughty is awesome.

No, seriously.

Am I the only one that noticed LA fired their coach, and that their new coach is also not faring well with things like Wins and Points?  And that noticed that Doughty plays like Ericsson on his fair share of nights?

WTF SI, please stop writing about hockey.  I’m sure there’s a compelling lawn bowling human interest story out there to write instead.

Posted by Primis on 02/14/12 at 10:25 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

anyone keeping score between JJ & Primis?

Nope.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/14/12 at 10:40 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The mistake on that Parros goal?

Johan Franzen.  Here’s where you can see the replay.  You see that turnover?  Yeah, you probably think that Ericsson made a mistake by passing it directly to Franzen’s stick off the boards, right? Too bad the guy who’s always engaged everywhere on the ice wasn’t paying attention to a pass he had every reason to expect.  I guess Ericsson should have held Parros after absorbing contact in the corner.

I don’t need any numbers to show his productivity

Which is a fantastic point if our argument were solely about Franzen’s offensive numbers. It’s not. It’s about you claiming Franzen does more work than Zetterberg in all three zones. You are painfully wrong about that.

As said prior, I expect Franzen to put up goal numbers closer to 40 than to 30. There is nobody else on the team I expect to put up 40 goals, so the idea that Franzen not living up to his own expectations being ok because nobody else is living up to his expectations either is flawed. He’s an offensive specialist and I want more offense out of him more consistently.  I want him playing like a power forward more often.

For every 1 good defensive play a game [Ericsson] makes, he still makes 3 or 4 truly bad ones

From somebody who actually records these things, trust me when I say that you are wrong here as well. The reality is that the ratio is closer to 1:1. Braydon Coburn did worse than that on Sunday.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/14/12 at 11:22 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

anyone keeping score between JJ & Primis?

Late to the party, but yes.

Since J.J. was last to post, he won.  Yet there is an asterisk with the win since they tied and went to the shootout.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 02/14/12 at 02:52 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 12 13 14