Abel to Yzerman

Search Engine Logic

Oh Wyshynski…I guess Boston has those “defensemen” that the Wings don’t have. Those “defensemen” that allowed more goals to Chicago than the Wings did, and in less games.

I really have no intention of letting this go any time soon.  That ditty is courtesy of StayoutofMalibu and it's a comment on this post, which was written in response to Puck Daddy's latest example of "objectivity", specifically...

Personally, I don’t think Alfredsson made the right decision. First, because the Boston Bruins are closer to a Stanley Cup than are the Detroit Red Wings, due to something called “defensemen.”

Weird. Now that I think more about this, I wonder if Greg knew Andrew Ference is now in Edmonton?  He only averaged 24 minutes per game in the playoffs.

And, just to clarify, with Ference...Boston gave up 17 goals to Chicago, in 6 games. Without DeKeyser, the Wings gave up 16 in 7.  Yahoo is usually such a strong source for hockey facts, so that kind of reasoning is weird.  So strange to see such a non-biased, reputable hockey outlet shooting from the hip like that.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

Compared to Detroit, Boston’s “defensemen” are a myth. I’m not saying that as a die-hard Wings fan, I’m saying that from a statistics point of view.

Alfie had 19 very good reasons to sign with us, and he made the right choice. Regardless of what some keyboard commando has to say.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/07/13 at 12:00 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Why even bother to post links to that nonsense.  It just sends them undeserved traffic, and with the ego that crew has, they’ll think its because of their witty reparte, rather than everyone going there to stare a train wreck.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/07/13 at 12:06 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Zzzzzzinnnnnnng. Boom goes the dynamite!

Posted by Rdwings28 on 07/07/13 at 12:10 PM ET

Pugna Vox's avatar

For some reason, I always gave Wysh benefit of the doubt. He’s human, he has his peccadilloes, and maybe – just maybe – he let some of his personal feelings bleed in from time to time. So what? It happens. It’s not the ideal from a sports journalist, but if you’re passionate enough to scrape together a living writing about hockey, you’re going to have favorites and they’re going to creep in.

But between this dinky slow jam: “My favorite NHL player, for years, was Claude Lemieux.” and the above mentioned facepalm-worthy “Alfie shoulda chose Boston because defense,” I just can’t bring myself to have an open mind about anything Wysh writes anymore.

He hates the Wings. I don’t know if it’s because Holmstrom raped his puppy or Datsyuk stole his firetruck, but it’s there and increasingly obvious.

Decent site with writing that sometimes approaches marginally amusing or somewhat insightful, but go in with your Red Wings Hatred BS detector fully charged and operational.

Posted by Pugna Vox from Idiot Out Wandering Around on 07/07/13 at 12:33 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I’d just like to point out that Harrison Mooney, not Greg Wyshynski, wrote that post. He tends to be a lot more annoying and arrogant.

Either way, I don’t see a huge issue with a writer giving an opinion as long as he states that he’s doing so. I understand some of the issues with this statement obviously considering Boston’s recent defensive issues and loss of Ference. However, I don’t think it’s fair to say that Detroit’s D is generally better just because they let in less goals against the Hawks in one less game. Chara was injured and clearly not himself against the Hawks. That alone can account for at least a few of the goals.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 07/07/13 at 12:43 PM ET

perfection's avatar

glad you remembered to point out that we were DeKeyserless… and STILL did better defensively.

I do feel strongly that Alfie’s presence will create an atmosphere (a la Dallas Drake), from locker room to owner’s box, that we need to go for it this year. We may see a deadline move we would otherwise never have seen because of this (a la Brad Stuart, 2008). It’s really huge motivation to have a vet who’s played 18 years without winning a cup stating explicitly that he’s joining the Wings to go for it this season and even saying he’d feel bad pressuring the Sen’s ownership to “go for it” rather than “stay the course”. That is implicitly saying he EXPECTS the Wings to “go for it”. Who knows what Kenny and Babs said to him directly, but I really think this changes everything this season. Forget the talent we lost vs. the talent we gained. Forget the fact the kids are about to get a full season under their belt. This is the win it for Alfie year, plain and simple. And if we meet Ottawa and/or Boston in the playoffs, this will be magnified even more-so.

of course it might turn out like Hossa’s year, but then again there may be a special collision this season between the rise of our youth and the last desperate gasp of a driven vet. At the least, his presence makes things much much more interesting.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/07/13 at 12:45 PM ET

Alfie’s attitude to win the Cup rightthefuchnow reminded me a lot of Dallas Drake.

I completely dig that.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/07/13 at 12:50 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

When it comes to the Wings, Wysh deliberately pokes fun at us.  He knows how sensitive we are.  His avatar should be a picture of the “trollface” (which I have no idea how to post).

Take Ference away from Boston, and I think our defense corps are a lot more comparable.  Chara, when healthy, is better than anyone we have, but otherwise, I’d say we match up fairly well.  Now, if we can just get Brendan Smith to stop making glaring defensive lapses, we’ll be in good shape.

I really like the idea of adding Alfredsson and having the “we’re going for it” vibe for this year’s team.  Like most of you, I think we’re a #2 defenseman away from being a legit contender.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 07/07/13 at 12:53 PM ET

perfection's avatar

While I think I somewhat agree with this, the good news is that D-Man COULD already be on our team. With the strides E and Kindl have made of late and Smith and DeKeyser’s obvious potential, perhaps come May of next year, one of these guys will have taken significant strides. Hell, maybe a couple of them will. All of these guys certainly have upsides that have not yet been reached.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/07/13 at 01:11 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I dont think they need a #2 defenseman.  At this point, I trust Ericsson and Kronwall on the ice against anyone. What they need is a guy that can score from the point on the powerplay.  In any case, the cap isnt going to let that happen.  The wings had the chance to sell the future and win now when they had Lidstrom and cap space.  Now, they need to rely on the young ones to perform, because they need cheap talent.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 07/07/13 at 01:38 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

I guess that I could have defined my term better.  I don’t think they need a better partner for Kronwall.  I do think they need another stud defenseman to head up the second pairing (technically, a #3 defenseman, I guess), preferably with Quincy heading out as part of any deal.  Like everyone’s already mentioned, maybe we’ll see one of our guys step up in the regular season.  If not, I think this may be the year when Kenny sells some of our assets in the minors for the final piece of the puzzle.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 07/07/13 at 01:47 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Anyone or thing linked with “Yahoo Sports” is by definition ignorant and under informed, which was true even with their radio shows last time I heard them, which was several years ago.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/07/13 at 03:19 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/07/13 at 04:19 PM ET

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think “Yahoo Sports” actually has released several major exposes in the past few years, including the whole Paterno-Penn State thing, which really makes them one of the few media organizations to do the deep digging that the other outlets haven’t done.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 07/07/13 at 03:47 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Nope. That was Wyshynksi’s.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/07/13 at 03:51 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 07/07/13 at 04:47 PM ET

You are correct. Also, Cotsonika is great.  When we rip on “Yahoo” here, it is directly aimed at Puck Daddy and their consistent digs at the Wings and—more directly—Wing fans.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/07/13 at 03:55 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I don’t go to yahoo very often for my hockey fix, but puck daddy does tend to throw out comments about the fan base of the wings which I can only presume is an effort to get us tinfoil wearing wings fans to drive up web traffic?

I believe we will all know if Alfie made a good decision sometime around December 1st.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/07/13 at 06:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t know, I thought the job they did of breaking down the Ducks’ shortcomings in the wake of their playoff elimination was pretty good.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/07/13 at 06:35 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 07/07/13 at 01:43 PM ET

I agree with this, and my point in writing that comment wasn’t to say that. I was merely comparing the recent real-world results of the two teams’ defenses, because Wyshynski himself specifically compared them, and in a jabbing way at Detroit. Again, he can fuch right off.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 07/07/13 at 07:20 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 07/07/13 at 01:43 PM ET

Errr?  As Chief noted, that was Wysh’s post.  Mooney wrote about Alfredsson as well, but with a different tact about Alfie embracing “heel” status and how it could be good for Ottawa.

As to Mooney being “arrogant”, what are you on?  Mooney and Leahy are the two more down-to-earth guys there.  Lambert and Wysh are the sh*t-stirrers.  While Lambert and Wysh are obsessing over trying to get hits and trying to find someone to offend, Mooney’s making music video parodies in yoga pants and writing about Hockey Hugs.  How the f**k can you hate Mooney?

I have yet to detect bias for or against just about anything from Leahy or Mooney.  And I know Mooney’s a Canucks fan…

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/07/13 at 04:55 PM ET

It’s not just Puck Daddy.  Check their other blogs centric to other sports.  Their NBA and NFL blogs have certain writers that get ripped to shreds so often the digs show up on other sites (I’m pretty certain an NBA writer finally got run out of town), and the trolling there by the writers is often far worse.  And the less said about their Olympics blog, the better.  Their Prep Sports blog also takes tons of flak.  Their MLB blog seems to usually float a bit above the rest but maybe that’s more a baseball nature thing.

As for Puck Daddy, Lambert in particular is a known running joke even among other fanbases.  He doesn’t just offend Wings fans and their sensibilities….

Posted by Primis on 07/07/13 at 10:59 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I’m looking forward to the Alfredsson jersey retirement after we bring cup #12 back to its rightful home.

rolleyes

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 07/08/13 at 10:46 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by Pugna Vox from Idiot Out Wandering Around on 07/07/13 at 01:33 PM ET

The BEST reason of all not to even go there at all
  wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/08/13 at 03:13 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/07/13 at 01:45 PM ET

cheese

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/08/13 at 03:15 PM ET