Abel to Yzerman

Roster Spots Available

from Dana Wakiji of DetroitRedWings.com,

The Detroit Red Wings will be a significantly different team than the one fans saw in 2017-18.

Coach Jeff Blashill made that clear during his most recent appearance on the Red and White Authority podcast with DetroitRedWings.com's Art Regner Tuesday.

There will be younger players likely to make the team but current players could also find themselves in different roles than in past seasons.

"We have a wide open opportunity to make our hockey team without question," Blashill said on the Red and White Authority. "I think there's less sure bets in terms of guys being cemented in certain spots in the lineup. Why? Because we haven't been good enough for two years. It's hard to be cemented in spots in the lineup when we haven't been good enough. Maybe you've played first or second line, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be first or second line next year. Maybe you've been a power play guy, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be a power play guy next year.

"That means if other guys come in and are better than the guys we have, they're going to play - more than ever before, and in greater numbers than ever before. Now you have to earn those spots, you have to come in and be great. I've told a lot of the young guys, I would love for that. But again, you got to do the work. So I think it's a wide open roster more than ever before."

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

So it was never possible in the past for young players to crack those “cemented” players.

lol

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/06/18 at 07:46 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

He didnt say that, but “cemented” would seem to imply.

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/06/18 at 07:46 AM ET

This speaks more to line juggling than actual roster spots. Who’s to say that if guys move around during camp that those new spots are now “cemented” (Get ready for that to be the new word thrown around for two weeks, see:poke-and-hope) during the season. As with everything with this organization lately, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/06/18 at 07:54 AM ET

He didnt say that, but “cemented” would seem to imply.

That’s the impression I got from this sentence.

“I think there’s less sure bets in terms of guys being cemented in certain spots in the lineup. Why? Because we haven’t been good enough for two years.

So is he saying that for two years aside from minor changes the majority of lineup decisions were already set? It seems to mean that it didn’t matter what the result was the lineup was the lineup.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/06/18 at 07:58 AM ET

The only UFA forward is David Booth, a part-time fill-in who made 28 appearances and averaged less than seven minutes of ice time per game. The only UFA defenseman is Mike Green, who they are openly trying to retain.

Aside from getting a full year without Tatar or Mrazek, explain to me how the 2018-19 Red Wings will be “a significantly different team.” Presuming Larkin, AA, Manthan, and Bertuzzi get new contracts, they’re already at 12 forwards, 6 defenders, and a goalie. That isn’t even counting Frk or Green, to say nothing of Svechnikov, Rasmussen, Hronek.

Unless Detroit is planning on making some contract-clearing trades or willing to actually waive and either lose or bury some guys, there are literally no spots available.

Talk is cheap, Blash. After two years of this crap I’ll believe it when I see it.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 06/06/18 at 08:14 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Dana Wakiji of DetroitRedWings.com,
Coach Jeff Blashill made that clear during his most recent appearance on the Red and White Authority podcast with DetroitRedWings.com’s Art Regner Tuesday.

Olympia Entertainment, LLC marketing department spins same song to different tune: “competition for places blah blah blah beat the man ahead of you blah blah blah we’re selling hope and change, come buy our stuff”

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 06/06/18 at 08:22 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

So Helm, Abdelkader and Kronwall will be bumped to the second power play? Awesome!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/06/18 at 09:29 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I think blash is trying to send the right message

... I’m hoping he is willing to back it up
(even if/when there’s some push back from ‘vets’)

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 06/06/18 at 10:14 AM ET

I think your 12 forwards includes Franzen who obviously won’t be playing.

But they will get to 12 forwards if Frk is re-signed. That leaves 2 spots left for newcomers. One spot is Rasmussen’s to lose. The other? Since Svech doesn’t look ready the best bet would be Turgeon or a forward taken in the draft. The biggest catch here is that someone who played signficant minutes last season might have to be in the press box most nights. I’ll believe that when I see it. And all this assumes KH doesn’t acquire another forward in free agency (please no).

Defense is a log jam but I expect they won’t hesitate to waive Ouelett if Hronek is ready. IF Green is re-signed we’ll know they aren’t too committed to elevating more players to the NHL. If they draft D with their first pick, they better have room for him to play.

Posted by evileye on 06/06/18 at 10:23 AM ET

To the tune of Kurt angles entrance song… bullshit…bullshit…..

Posted by Iamhaljordan on 06/06/18 at 10:24 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I wonder if someone more senior in the organization told him he’s going to have to quit doing what he’s doing, because this is quite the change of tune for Blash from what he was doing just 2 months ago.

I’ll also believe it when I see it, though.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/06/18 at 10:30 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by evileye on 06/06/18 at 10:23 AM ET

Why Oullett over Jensen?

Posted by Primis on 06/06/18 at 10:39 AM ET

I think your 12 forwards includes Franzen who obviously won’t be playing.

Whoops. Yeah, that’s what happens when you’re at work and not looking too carefully at the resource materials ...

At any rate, the main point is that this roster is almost certainly going to have minimal turnover—probably not much different from past years.

This same pattern has been occurring year after year.

- A few peripheral guys get waived or not re-signed (e.g. Miller, Nestrasil, Lashoff, etc.). I agree Ouellet is likely here. Also Witkowski. Booth probably won’t be re-signed.

- One or two rookies crack the squad and probably only play limited minutes for at least half a year.

- One or two pointless depth forwards get signed as free agents. You already know it’s going to happen.

My main complaint is the big lie in the very first sentence:

Exchanging 2-3 not very good veterans for 1-2 not very good (or good, but woefully underutilized) rookies plus 1-2 different not very good veterans is not exactly a bold new strategy for the Detroit Red Wings.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 06/06/18 at 10:51 AM ET

Why Oullett over Jensen?

The coaching staff seems to favor Jensen. Ouellet was healthy scratched a lot and played fewer minutes per game.

But they’re both terrible so who really cares.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 06/06/18 at 10:53 AM ET

Why Oullett over Jensen?

Posted by Primis on 06/06/18 at 10:39 AM ET

This was from TSN this morning:

Detroit Red Wings defenceman Xavier Ouellet as a player who is being “actively shopped.”
The 24-year-old defenceman appeared in just 45 games with the Red Wings this past season, posting seven assists. The 2011 second-round pick appeared in career-high 66 games last year, scoring three goals and adding nine assists.
“He wants a fresh start,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told Custance of Ouellet last week.

So it looks like it’s almost certain that he’s traded at the draft. If not, he’ll be waived. He won’t be on the team next year.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/06/18 at 11:07 AM ET

I expect they won’t hesitate to waive Ouelett if Hronek is ready.

What makes you say that?

I only ask because it’s the same thing people said last summer about Oullet and about Booth and about Shitkowksi, yet none of those guys was demoted to make room for anyone.

What changes this year?

If not, he’ll be waived. He won’t be on the team next year.

I’ll believe that when I see it.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/06/18 at 11:10 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

As he shouldn’t be on the team.  It just didn’t work out…maybe he can be a #6/7 dman somewhere, but no use being that in Detroit.

If we can get a 7th rounder for him, I’d be surprised.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/06/18 at 11:19 AM ET

Paul's avatar

In other news…

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Zetterberg left his return open-ended when the 2017-18 season ended in April, saying he’d need to evaluate whether his health, especially his back, could continue to hold up. It appears he’s confident it can.

“I’m in training and looking forward to a better season,” Zetterberg told the Free Press Wednesday. He’s back in his native Sweden, where he spends the offseason along with his wife and their son.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/06/18 at 11:26 AM ET

I have no inclination to believe anything they say after saying the line blender was going to end, saying how important line chemistry is, then going right back to the blender after 20 minutes of game time.

Posted by teldar on 06/06/18 at 11:27 AM ET

Well, he had pretty much free reign to do whatever he wanted for three years because he knows as well as anyone that Ken Holland simply does not have that balls to fire a coach.

But now Blashill’s in the last year of his contract and after three years he has an actual incentive to do a good job, because he knows he won’t get his contract renewed if he doesn’t show some kind of ability to coach at the NHL level.

I’m sure he means what he says, at least until Holland re-signs Green and signs Thomas Vanek or Chris Kunitz or Joel Ward, but talk is cheap and I’m not convinced he has what it takes.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/06/18 at 12:10 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Ugh. Either the coach or GM say the same thing every year. Watch Kenny go out and sign a past-their-prime vet and resign Green. Leaving very little room for the youth to take over. NTC for everyone!

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/06/18 at 02:29 PM ET

——Well, he had pretty much free reign to do whatever he wanted for three years
—-Totally disagree. For 3 years Blash is coaching scared imo. It seems like Z and Kronwall are running the show and KH is constantly on Blash ear too. I actually have higher opinion on Blash coaching abilities than most and I just don’t see him making certain decisions voluntarily without heavy influence of the veterans and KH.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/06/18 at 06:37 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Why Oullett over Jensen?

Skating. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 06/06/18 at 07:13 PM ET

VP
I do agree, he is probably a better coach than what he’s allowed to show with a lot of the Wings so far.

Posted by teldar on 06/06/18 at 07:21 PM ET

Hopefully Blashill got some NHL coach training himself. Three seasons of constant line changes trying to find lightning,  a consistently failed PP, etc, etc. I don’t feel comfortable having Blashill be in charge of evaluating talent.

Posted by stateofmifan on 06/06/18 at 07:30 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Why Oullett over Jensen?

Skating.

Exactly. I don’t understand the fear of losing Ouellet. He’s Lashoff 2.0.

In my mind, in order to be an NHL player, you’ve got to be excellent in at least one area of the game. I’m not sure what that would be for Ouellet.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 06/06/18 at 09:16 PM ET

If we can get a 7th rounder for him, I’d be surprised.

Agreed. I think we should be able to get a 6th or 7th rounder for him, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if it was something similar to what we reacquired McCollum for; a conditional 7th rounder with unrealistic conditions so Calgary just ended up giving him to us for nothing.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/07/18 at 07:47 AM ET

I’ve read fan theories about this but never seen any kind of actual evidence to support it, but even if it is true then it’s still on Blashill for bowing to any kind of perceived pressure by people who he is supposed to be in charge of.

But if you’re right and he isn’t “in charge” then there’s no reason to think this season is going to be any different.

Either way, my point was more along the lines that he had no fear of being fired over the past three years because Ken Holland doesn’t fire Red Wings coaches. He waits for their contracts to expire and just moves on, so this year is the only year that Blashill has to actually do something to convince Holland that he deserves another contract.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/07/18 at 10:53 AM ET

I also don’t believe for even one second that Z, Kronwall, Holland or anyone in the organization is forcing Blashill to relegate Frk and AA to the fourth line minutes and I don’t believe anyone is pressuring Blashill to constantly use the line blender.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/07/18 at 10:57 AM ET