Abel to Yzerman

Roll The Dice…One More Time

South Detroit doesn't exist.  Many richards have told us that many times.  Something about geography and bottled water. I don't know the precise equation, having dropped out of Northern before I could attain my prestigious associate's degree in advanced Pharmacy.

Physically, it's a myth.

But spiritually, in a place where we live that is not real life, it's everything.  It's less than a minute to go and it's a Wing lead in a game that means way too much to way too many.

Steve Perry has been replaced by a young Filipino who sounds exactly like his predecessor. It's weird.  But it doesn't matter. It could be Al Sobotka singing it. It just doesn't matter. It's the timing.  That's everything.

I need to hear that song.  Tonite.

Two weeks ago we were at some middle school function. There was a band. They were not very good, but don't tell them I said that.  They were playing a song with flutes and recorders and silly drums.  Somebody had a trumpet.  I recognized the tune but I couldn't place it.  My wife, who knows every Wing score before I watch the game on DVR but somehow doesn't give away the result and do you have any idea how hard that would be? She nudged me and said, "that's got to be an omen."

It was that song.  I know. Like I've said...it's cheesy.  But holy hell if it isn't the greatest thing ever because when we hear it, you know the end is nigh.

We need to hear that song. Tonite.

It's a Live Blog, bitches. For all that's good in this world, baby Jesus.  You adorable, drooling, swaddled and innocent little bundle of Helm.  Do it. Give us this game. We'll be good. I promise.

1 to the WCF.  5 to the Burning.  9 to 12.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 >       Next »

TeamDub's avatar

Anybody see the flaw in this plan?

The PBR came up with that one, so take it up with them.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 05/27/13 at 11:00 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

I honestly think Olcyzk isn’t as bad tonight. Probably the best I heard in a long time.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert’s Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/27/13 at 09:30 PM ET

No Douche canoe took over for him.  Edzo musta got the complaints that were sent to NBC so asked Peeeeeeaire to take over for him

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/27/13 at 11:02 PM ET

monkey's avatar

If you had told me prior to the Ducks series that the Wings would play in a minimum of 14 games this postseason I doubt I would have believed you.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/27/13 at 11:03 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Wednesday Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/27/13 at 11:05 PM ET

.....i don’t know how many movie buffs we have amongst the 19, but there is one classic that comes to mind, after a performance for the ages….one that kenny should keep in mind over the summer…....“mr. smith goes to washington”....for whomever he can get…..i can hardly stand to breathe when the puck is on his stick…..

....this is NOT bandwagoning !!!.......the kid has directly cost the wings two games in this series…..last series, too…...

....the wings now have to win in spite of him…..and they’ve done this before….it will probably be more delicious to leave chicago with the crowd in mute disbelief…..become a legendary team on wednesday, boys…..we’ll probably be watching…..a diamond producing assembly line…..

....play with the same brilliance…..

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 05/27/13 at 11:08 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/27/13 at 11:03 PM ET

So you would have been wrong, but Lil Gary is gonna make you right…therein lies the irony.

As a wise man standing in a bathroom in a movie with Nixon once heard…*#$%@& the Doomed.

Is it weird enough yet?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 05/27/13 at 11:08 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

No.  It will be sublime.  Because the Wings will win.  And that’s the best “fuch you” there is.

Right on! That would be a huge fuch you!  Burn it down Wings! Burn it to the ground!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/27/13 at 11:08 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Hey, I got edited….Faux.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 05/27/13 at 11:09 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Hey, I got edited….Faux.

Cuz you’re a potty mouth mutherfucher

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/27/13 at 11:12 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

Im just… Uhhhhh. Feel so downtrodden. That penalty shot was bull. I agreed with douche canoe for perhaps the first time ever, that third goal was more on jimmy than smith. All of their chances came directly from a lack of consistent effort. This game was just mehhhhhgoddamitughhh!

Posted by Yzersyuk on 05/27/13 at 11:15 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

I support this.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/27/13 at 10:51 PM ET

I third it .... we don’t need no stinkin refs to win PLAY OVER IT WINGS !!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/27/13 at 11:18 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

2 coach challenges per game - goals, calls, NON-CALLS whatever. Reviewed by the asshats in Toronto.

Anybody see the flaw in this plan?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/27/13 at 10:56 PM ET

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/27/13 at 11:20 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 05/27/13 at 11:08 PM ET

And how many of us said the very same things about Big E his first season or 2?

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/27/13 at 11:22 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

Smith has serious skill. On the goal that the announcers attributed to his poor defensive coverage he was going to the wall to turn what he though was a puck battle into a 2 on 1. Normally a great decision. But the carrier had better control than he thought and made a great pass. The problem on this play is jimmy, as much ad I love his ginormous dong, it is. He kept his position on the post as the forward dekes him literally 2 feet away and gave him time to find the hole. A simple poke check and no goal. A typical aggressive jimmy Howard move and no goal. A tentative lack of reaction and goa( just like that penalty shot which may be the easiest one I’ve ever seen scored)

Posted by Yzersyuk on 05/27/13 at 11:29 PM ET

And how many of us said the very same things about Big E his first season or 2?

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan on 05/27/13 at 11:22 PM ET

...his first season was his magical season…...“mr. irrelevant"has a post season we all remember…...his stock has risen and fallen since…...smith’s postseason sorta resembles anti-matter by comparison….

....i shouldn’t be this angsty, but that kid makes me shiver glitter…....

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 05/27/13 at 11:38 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

I see where your coming from. It’s so hard to see d-men who have defensive zone turnovers after being used to lidstrom. But I think the best description of smith still comes from Z. He creates stuff, for bothe teams sometimes. Those players are important. He’s a catalyst on the d. He just has to tighten up certain parts of his game, which is a learning curve that is hard to watch as a fan.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 05/27/13 at 11:48 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Win as a Team. Lose as a Team. I do not blame any single one player. It was a combined lack of effort. Coupled with officiating that didn’t go our way. The zebras are expected to suck. The Wings are not.

It’s a 7 game series, and its far from the last buzzer. The Wings have the same chance to win game 7 as the Hawks. I still like our chances.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/27/13 at 11:59 PM ET

.....the poke check saves the day…....the hawks would likely be done…...good insight….

...on that penalty shot penalty….IWWNWD ??.....i wonder what nick would do???......i expect he would have taken away frolik’s control of his own stick, and broken down the play…..for the 76,000th time…..but, we are what we are, and this team is quite a bunch…..i think they have one more win in ‘em…..

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 05/28/13 at 12:00 AM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

I feel it too. Like if they can just maximize potential, like Babcock preaches, they are the better team. A more cohesive unit. A group with more potential. Individuals with more will. But if they lose themselves it can all be gone. Wake up its the playoffs bitches <L.G.R.W>

Also the lizard king would be like *stick lift* *subtle instep to your perfect line* *Suddenly its a 60%/40% im winning* *You suck you have no angle* *outlet pass*

Thats why he was the Lizard KING!

Posted by Yzersyuk on 05/28/13 at 03:03 AM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

You could also add; *steps up and takes a zone gaining pass at the blue line* *moves it over and then gets a pass back and he hits a one timer!* and then either *Perfect shot that finds the back of the net, Scores!* or * and it banks off those wily Joe Louis boards to RandomRW and he passes it too\deflects it off of RandomRW and its a goal!!!*

I miss Lizard king :(

Posted by Yzersyuk on 05/28/13 at 03:11 AM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

So bad, not meaning to triple post its just . . . that guy was awesome, will we ever see another defense-man with the talent of making the simple play like he had? I cant imagine it.

While he could at times disappear(until he was destroying the biggest chance the opposing team had)... that is the mark of a great defense-man. And then he’d suddenly set up the entire offensive play and/or score a fuchin goal. Man was magic of a different sort. Constant like a force of nature. He was the foundation of everything we stood on.

Now we find ourselves with a defense that has proved it has the potential to be elite, just look at its GA in the regular season and its three win run vs chicago( 4-1 3-1 2-0) and a goaltender that is a force to be reckoned with when he is not left out to dry.

Can we make the simple play? Can our forwards run a real, gritty fore check that consistently turns over pucks? Can we convert our skill at passing pucks into scoring goals? Are we ready for glory or are we still looking for our heart?

These are my questions. Game 7 awaits. <L.G.R.W>

Posted by Yzersyuk on 05/28/13 at 03:36 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

I honestly think that after the Wings went up 3 games to 1 they realized if they win this series theyd have to fly back out west and just didn’t want to make that slog of a trip again so they are just gonna give up the series and head east NOW…

Posted by pgoody on 05/28/13 at 06:41 AM ET

dougie's avatar

You have chosen to ignore comments from this member.

It’s incredible. When I decide that I have read enough stupid ,negative shit from someone,
I unsubscibe their comments, and VIOLA, ALL their posts ,including pasts posts, disappear.

It’s like they never existed. Makes me feel like Helm must feel.

Posted by dougie on 05/28/13 at 08:43 AM ET

dougie's avatar

There is absolutely no downside to Wednesday’s game.

If we lose, we congratulate a young team that has hugely over-achieved , and go into the post season with a renewed sense of Red Wing excellence in the future, from front office on down.

If we win, well, I don’t need to explain that at all.

Posted by dougie on 05/28/13 at 08:55 AM ET

Primis's avatar

So I was curious how I felt the morning after.

No, no difference.  The refs.  It really, truly was the refs that grabbed control of the game and handed it to the Hawks on a silver platter.  And despite that, the Wings were never then out of it.

And that’s the worst, because it makes it feel like there’s no point in a Game 7, because the refs will just do it again.

Posted by dougie on 05/28/13 at 08:55 AM ET

If we lose we need to give Quincey-Smith a cement bath and pretend they never existed.  I’m done, there is no future there whatsoever with them as a pairing.  Quincey is a joke.  A f**king joke.

If we lose, we’ve failed and are going out the West with a whimper as chokers, and f**k that.

A week or so ago even I might have agreed with you dougie.  If they blow a 3-1 series lead though… no.  It won’t feel good and there won’t be any upside or good feelings at all.  All they have/had to do is win 1 game out of 3 and if they can’t do that there isn’t going to be anyone free of blame, Babcock included, and they’ll deserve the questions they get.

Close the deal.  You got up 3-1, now close it or you’re just chokers.

Posted by Primis on 05/28/13 at 10:33 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

There is absolutely no downside to Wednesday’s game.

If we win, well, I don’t need to explain that at all.

Posted by dougie on 05/28/13 at 08:55 AM ET

I second that, Dougie. Even with the vets on the roster, you can only do so much with the balance(rookies) of the roster. The young-uns are giving us our moneys worth and then some.

I went into this post season with no expectations, and, have been completely and pleasantly surprised.

And if we win?....Well,  I still really like our chances.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/28/13 at 10:44 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Wow, a discussion at work with a friend from Chicago, who is of course, a blackhawks fan, got me thinking.  The wings never seem to get penalty shots.  So I went back and looked on nhl.com for penalty shots, here is what I came up with.

Penalty shots against/for (regular season only):

2010-2011: 3-1
2011-2012: 4-0
2012-2013: 5-0

So in the last 3 years, the wings have had 12 penalty shots called against them, and one for.  Make of that what you will.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/28/13 at 02:07 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

There is absolutely no downside to Wednesday’s game.

If we win, well, I don’t need to explain that at all.

Posted by dougie on 05/28/13 at 08:55 AM ET

wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/28/13 at 02:11 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

And if we win?....Well,  I still really like our chances.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/28/13 at 10:44 AM ET

grin

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/28/13 at 02:13 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Detroit News’s Gregg Krupa offered this at the very end of an analysis of the Wings’ loss
No one thought they would be there, and now they really have nothing to lose.

Babcock said after the game that if he had told the players or the assembled citizens of Hockeytown a month ago that they would play a Game 7 in Chicago against the Blackhawks for a chance to be in the conference finals for the first time in four years, all would have been joyfully pleased.

There is the opportunity. Seize it.

And bring your hammers!

indeed we would   grin

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/28/13 at 02:45 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

this has to be an Omen ..... looking for a good pic or gif of hammers ....

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/28/13 at 02:53 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

There is absolutely no downside to Wednesday’s game.

If we win, well, I don’t need to explain that at all.

This.

And this.

And this too.  And other comments in the same vein.

I still say the Hawks have WAY more pressure.  They are the anointed team - the team that was expected to absolutely steamroll the Wings (remember the hammer and the nail thing?)  And they are the ones who are going to be crucified in the media if they lose.

If our guys can just take the pressure off themselves a little - relax, work hard, play smart - I like our chances too.

Like I said last night, nobody expected the Wings to win Game 7 in Anaheim, but they did.  They can do it again.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/28/13 at 03:12 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan on 05/28/13 at 02:53 PM ET

Great pic!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/28/13 at 03:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I still say the Hawks have WAY more pressure.

Yes, MsRedWinger, the Hawks have ALL the pressure on them. And you’re right about The Wings needing to remember that, and, relax, play smart, and play their game.

Not one notable(sarcasm) person in all of hockey imagined the Wings making the Playoffs. Let alone a Game 7 at the United Center. The puck has not even dropped yet and The Wings are are already being written off.

Fuch that noise. There are at least 19 of us that still have faith.

I’m all in. In it to win it! Bring it on!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/28/13 at 03:47 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by dougie on 05/28/13 at 08:55 AM ET

I totally agree with that statement, Dougie.

But how is it that I’m still pissed (by both Smith [who I love and hate at the same time] and that fauxing ridiculous call).

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/28/13 at 05:16 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/28/13 at 02:07 PM ET

What about including further back?

I bet it’s even more-lopsided than that.

Posted by Primis on 05/28/13 at 07:21 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

We do play a penalty shot giving up style…

Posted by pgoody on 05/28/13 at 08:56 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I love how Babs says game 7 will “be fun”... he says it like when your brakes go on your truck and you’re about to careen off the bridge or when the charlie is yelling in your face to pick up the gun during a game of russian roulette… “this should “be fun”

Posted by pgoody on 05/28/13 at 09:01 PM ET

Bent's avatar

What about including further back?

Well let’s see.  Let’s go back to the last lockout.

2009-2010: 2-2
2008-2009: 2-0
2007-2008: 2-3
2006-2007: 0-1
2005-2006: 4-3

So for these years it was 10-9.  Much closer.  But the totals since the last lockout are still 22-10, with the bulk of the difference coming in the past 3 years.  More than 2 against for every one for.

We do play a penalty shot giving up style…

My sarcasm detector is going off, but I will answer this anyway.  How exactly?  The amount they allow is normal, from what I could see looking them up other teams allow similar amounts.  It’s the amount they get that has me scratching my head.  Remember, two of those last three years are Lidstrom teams as well.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/28/13 at 09:16 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

We do play a penalty shot giving up style…

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/28/13 at 09:16 PM ET

Nice to see you keep your sarcasm detector properly calibrated… i was just doing my best mashup of a DC/Edzo “enalosys”

Posted by pgoody on 05/28/13 at 09:19 PM ET