Abel to Yzerman

Ready… Set… Gut Check Time

I am a mess.  An excess of nervous energy, my uncontrollable leg (the Jimmy-leg) bouncing, and random hallucinations caused by psychotropic drugs have made me a shell of the man I usually am.  And yet, strangely, I am okay with that.

For some reason these playoffs feel different to me.

Sure I am just as stressed as every other season, but this time I have a strange feeling of resignation.  Whatever will happen, will happen.  Whichever Detroit Red Wings team shows up tonight will determine the 19’s feelings tomorrow.  For me, that has been the way it has been all year, there is nothing different.

Strangely, being involved in a Game 7 in Round 1 is exactly where I want the Red Wings to be.

The 19 have had a long season.  Jobu has prison sexed us with curling irons all year.  That made us both sad and angry.  I think many of us thought about a post-season without the Red Wings involvement.  And that made us more sad and angry.

Now that the Wings are in the playoffs, it is time for them to decide what they want to do in them.  Which is why a Game 7 in the opening round is perfect.

It is time for the team to determine their destiny.  And either way, I don’t want them to fuch around about it.

Unlike past seasons, I will not be absolutely devastated with a first round loss.  Upset, yes.  Devastated, no.  That is unusual for me, and I suspect I am not alone.  Since the lockout, and even before, the Red Wings have played much more hockey than any other team in the world.  Which is why it is time for the team to decide what their future will hold.

If they decide that they want to take an early vacation, they will play like they did in Game 6.  While upset, I will be okay with that.  But only this round.

If they decide that they really are the best team in hockey, they will play like it.  Game 7 will be ours and I really dig that.  If they win, they must not stop until Cup #12 is theirs.  There can be no in between.  No losing future rounds.  It’s now or never, either the Wings take an early vacation tonight, or they go all the way to Cup #12. No more fauxing around.

I will say this, if they win tonight and lose in the second or third round, I will be more upset than if they lost tonight.  In fact, I will be livid.

Lose tonight and take a long-deserved vacation.  I can live with that.

Win tonight, and Cup #12 is ours.  I will love that.

There is no in between.  Do or die.  The answer will come tonight, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >       Next »

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

4 hrs…
Not sure I want to be sober for this…

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/27/10 at 06:59 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 04/27/10 at 06:59 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Wow this place is like the local mortuary and the killing has not occurred yet.

Here’s a little Debbie Downer to cheer ya up.

Or you have this…. a choice of sorts.

Cowboy Up, bitches.

Let’s Go Red Wings !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/27/10 at 06:59 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

What is best in life?
To crush the enemy,
To see them driven before you,
And to hear the lamentation of their women.
LGRW In Jimmahh I trust (and you should too)

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 06:59 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by pgoody from the 2nd season, 2010, Howard’s run… on 04/27/10 at 04:59

Are those 600 thread count sheets?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 07:01 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by pgoody from the 2nd season, 2010, Howard’s run… on 04/27/10 at 04:59 PM ET

... What were we talking about again?

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/27/10 at 07:02 PM ET

cephalopod's avatar

I’m not sure what’s up with you bitches today. Why is everyone so “if it happens, it happens”?

The Hockey Gods may be Gods, but they’re still Hockey Gods.  Trick them into thinking we’ll accept a loss, they “surprise” us with a win.  It’s reverse psychamacological strategery.

Posted by cephalopod from Chicago...nope, still not over it. on 04/27/10 at 07:04 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/27/10 at 05:01 PM ET
Yeah they look like 600 to me, I can’t get over how cool that bracelet is.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 07:06 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Need happy thoughts.

Karen Newman makes me happy.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 07:06 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

IT’S A TRAP(!)

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 07:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Man, there is a LOT of vomit and urine in the Hasek today.

I’ll worry about the Wings resting and LIdstrom retiring later.  Call it denial if you want, I don’t give a flying circus fuch.

Go into battle prepared to die and you can survive; but go in hoping to live and you’ll surely die

- some hippie bastard

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/27/10 at 07:10 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

i’m stage 1 until the wings lose their last game of the year. then stages 2-5 come out in order, but within about 2 minutes.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/27/10 at 07:10 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

That headset Karen is wearing…anyone know if that’s the Sony PF128? Didn’t they just have a massive recall on those?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 07:11 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

You bitches are pissing me off.  I cant see the pictures on base.  I’m using my imagination though.

Am I right?  Will I be reviewing this thread when I get home?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/27/10 at 07:14 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I think they are Beatz by Dr Dre…

Posted by pgoody on 04/27/10 at 07:15 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste. Marie on 04/27/10 at 05:11 PM ET

this picture makes me thirsty. i wish i had that bottle of water…

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/27/10 at 07:15 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Looks like RWBill has some competition

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 07:16 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

this picture makes me thirsty. i wish i had that bottle of water…

Those earrings are darling, too. They really accentuate the belt she is wearing.

She’s a nice girl.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 07:18 PM ET

Supposedly I have an exam tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.  I should be studying for that, but at this point I’ll be lucky if I’m there let alone sober and there

Posted by aghhhhhh from the box to the left on 04/27/10 at 07:19 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

That Kristin Bell actress is from a Detroit burb, pretty sure she’s like Karen Newman’s mini-me.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/27/10 at 07:22 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

TheEmperor’s interview with Karen Newman.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 07:23 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Well, puck drop is just around the corner…only 3 1/2 more hours ...

So, anyone want to play hangman?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 07:24 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Or…

I spy…

something shiny and silver…

Posted by pgoody on 04/27/10 at 07:27 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Doan is out tonight according to Toronto’s AM 640: http://twitter.com/am640Brady/status/12964629215

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/27/10 at 07:27 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The nervous energy around here is palpable.

Is that even possible on The Gore?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 07:28 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Having seen in his career just what this league has deteriorated to, nobody could expect him to not retire after this season

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 04/27/10 at 04:17 PM ET

Sad but true. It’s enough to make me want to retire as a fan.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/27/10 at 07:29 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I spy…

something shiny and silver…

The plate in Scotty Bowman’s head?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 07:29 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

KN: I run late for EVERYTHING in my life…Hey I was born second after my twin!

WHAT WHAT WHAT!

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/27/10 at 07:30 PM ET

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/27/10 at 05:27 PM ET

Two things:

1)  They’re chickenshits

or

2)  They’re that cocky.

I call their bluff in #2.  My all in still stands so let’s their river card.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/27/10 at 07:31 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

If the Wings do lose tonight, I wonder how Ville Leino will feel?  I bet he’ll be smiling…

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/27/10 at 07:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

*#$%@& Ville Leino right in his egg-head, that fuching fuch.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/27/10 at 07:45 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

*#$%@& Ville Leino right in his egg-head, that fuching fuch.

just what I was thinking.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/27/10 at 07:53 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

This sh1t aint over till it’s over. We can all cry and piss ourselves tomorrow, but right now we have a game to win.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/27/10 at 07:55 PM ET

koalacaust's avatar

Leino can suck a fat, juicy, hairy one cause were not going down against the Jetotes of Glendale tonight, no fuching way.

You bitches are worrying me with the “it is what it is” attitude. I just recently found you people, I cant give up and take a summer off now.

Posted by koalacaust on 04/27/10 at 07:58 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/27/10 at 05:53 PM ET

I wore my “Believe” 1998 Cup winning t-shirt last night.  I BELIEVE!

LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/27/10 at 07:58 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

WONDER TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/27/10 at 08:02 PM ET

Nati's avatar

In attempt to keep myself distracted today, I went and dyed my hair blonde. I had so much tin foil in my hair it was like a new updated version of the tin foil hat and also I might of picked up every radio station and cell phone conversation within a five mile radius.

I don’t know how I will feel tonight. I honestly don’t know what will happen and how I will react. But in preparation for what ever mood I end up in I bought a lot of Stella and Hoegaarden and ice cream just in case.

LGRW. Just win the game.

Posted by Nati from school or work, either would apply on 04/27/10 at 08:02 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by YYZerman on 04/27/10 at 05:55 PM ET

Smart man. It’s in the genes.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/27/10 at 08:09 PM ET

Incognetis's avatar

Couldn’t agree more.  I thought I was the only one who thought, “Meh… whatever happens happens.”  And if they put it all together tonight, we could have a nice little run coming up.

I don’t have it in me to hang around tonight.  Just because I’m resigned to whatever will happen, that doesn’t mean I’m not a wreck.  Godspeed to the 19 of you LBing.  Catch you all tomorrow, a couple days, next week/month… whenever I feel like I can handle talking about hockey again.  I hope that will be in about six hours.

LGRW, bitches.

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 04/27/10 at 08:10 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Sad but true. It’s enough to make me want to retire as a fan.
Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!
Posted by Kate from Pa.

I’ve invested too much of myself to quit in the middle of the playoffs, but,
giving some serious thought to retiring as a fan before the pre-season starts.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/27/10 at 08:11 PM ET