Abel to Yzerman

Ready… Set… Gut Check Time

I am a mess.  An excess of nervous energy, my uncontrollable leg (the Jimmy-leg) bouncing, and random hallucinations caused by psychotropic drugs have made me a shell of the man I usually am.  And yet, strangely, I am okay with that.

For some reason these playoffs feel different to me.

Sure I am just as stressed as every other season, but this time I have a strange feeling of resignation.  Whatever will happen, will happen.  Whichever Detroit Red Wings team shows up tonight will determine the 19’s feelings tomorrow.  For me, that has been the way it has been all year, there is nothing different.

Strangely, being involved in a Game 7 in Round 1 is exactly where I want the Red Wings to be.

The 19 have had a long season.  Jobu has prison sexed us with curling irons all year.  That made us both sad and angry.  I think many of us thought about a post-season without the Red Wings involvement.  And that made us more sad and angry.

Now that the Wings are in the playoffs, it is time for them to decide what they want to do in them.  Which is why a Game 7 in the opening round is perfect.

It is time for the team to determine their destiny.  And either way, I don’t want them to fuch around about it.

Unlike past seasons, I will not be absolutely devastated with a first round loss.  Upset, yes.  Devastated, no.  That is unusual for me, and I suspect I am not alone.  Since the lockout, and even before, the Red Wings have played much more hockey than any other team in the world.  Which is why it is time for the team to decide what their future will hold.

If they decide that they want to take an early vacation, they will play like they did in Game 6.  While upset, I will be okay with that.  But only this round.

If they decide that they really are the best team in hockey, they will play like it.  Game 7 will be ours and I really dig that.  If they win, they must not stop until Cup #12 is theirs.  There can be no in between.  No losing future rounds.  It’s now or never, either the Wings take an early vacation tonight, or they go all the way to Cup #12. No more fauxing around.

I will say this, if they win tonight and lose in the second or third round, I will be more upset than if they lost tonight.  In fact, I will be livid.

Lose tonight and take a long-deserved vacation.  I can live with that.

Win tonight, and Cup #12 is ours.  I will love that.

There is no in between.  Do or die.  The answer will come tonight, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I wore my “Believe” 1998 Cup winning t-shirt last night.  I BELIEVE!
LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!!!
Posted by hockeychic

I wore my 1997 W/Conf Champs shirt on Sunday…..
I burned it this morning.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/27/10 at 07:15 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I wore my “Believe” 1998 Cup winning t-shirt last night.  I BELIEVE!
LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!!!
Posted by hockeychic
I wore my 1997 W/Conf Champs shirt on Sunday…..
I burned it this morning.
Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 04/27/10 at 06:15 PM

I’ve been listening to the same Journey songs on youtube since that troll came in here last week. I did not listen to Journey at home on Sunday before game 6. If superstition counts for anything, we win this one by four goals.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 07:21 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

When I think about The Perfect Human turning forty this week and possibly contemplating retirement, I miss the careers he and Vlady would have had together.
Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/27/10 at 04:06 PM ET

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/27/10 at 07:30 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Boo. Hiss. Boo again.

Nothing but cup. Nothing but the win. We’re the damn Red Wings and we expect nothing less. We play at least 98 games a year. More if necessary.

No vacations. Not acceptable. Not to the yotes. Not this time.

Sorry, Voox, but that shit’s not OK.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 04/27/10 at 08:34 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/27/10 at 06:30 PM ET

WOW.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/27/10 at 08:44 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

This should’ve been the Vladinator’s theme song:

Hard As A Rock

Turn it up to 11 and LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 04/27/10 at 08:54 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 04/27/10 at 07:34 PM ET

Right on.