Abel to Yzerman

Ready. Set?

I’m back.  Deployment was great, as all are.  After the fact.  My track record for watching the Wings at sea is not good.  Sharks twice, Bubba. LA, Anaheim, New Jersey, Denver.  Some, almost all, of our ugliest losses have occurred while I was floating. So let’s avoid that for a while, eh?  Thanks to all of you for the support and, even more, for the humor. I read every one of your comments on every post.  And just before deleting them, I usually laugh.

No, I don’t delete comments. Bad joke.

But hey. This is fun. Ready? I know that you are.

The Red Wings have called a press conference tomorrow morning at Joe Louis Arena. Ken Holland and Nick Lidstrom are expected to speak.

It’s exactly what George just posted

The difference between his post and mine, though?

I typed it through a hail of vomit.  Let the speculation, as hundreds have already said, begin.  Press conference minus Illitch? Staying.  Press conference for an extension? No. Gotta be leaving.  Before the big confab with Tick Tock, Uncle Mike and the boys? Setting the stage to fill a big, gaping, blue line Hall of Fame hole or getting a low-key re-upping out of the way now to pave the way for critcal thirty days of Ken.

No idea. None. I can’t guess and I plan to drink heavily until the presser.  We’ll live blog that bioootcchhhhhh.

I’m back. Thanks for being the best pharmacists on the Gore.  More to follow? You bet your big asses there is.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

ITDeuce's avatar

Eff me straight in the A.

He’s retiring ladies and gents.  There wouldn’t be a presser for anything but…

I KNEW it was coming.  I mean, like… damn.  I have been prepping myself for this moment since the season ended.  He’s getting up there and I have to believe that his wife and kids are super ready for him to retire.  I certainly don’t blame him.  I basically knew he was retiring, and yet the fact that it is all coming about now makes me feel like I could just frigging hurl. (and yet I think that somewhere deep down in my optimist inner child I thought he might play one more year.)

Fuch he’s gonna be missed.  There’s no pair of defenseman that can replace Lids.  Fact.  I think I commented on it at the time too, but I remember one play where Ken Daniels actually said.  It’s a 2 on 1, but Lidstrom’s back.  And just like you’d imagine that 2 on 1 didn’t even end up in a shot on goal.

Fuch me… I’m all outta sorts.

But hey on a positive note… there probably won’t be a season next year anyway…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 05/30/12 at 10:08 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Tipping a glass of Jameson to the best defenseman ever: Nicklas Lidstrom. He played for our beloved Wings for twenty years with skill, smarts and class. Never tried to hurt anyone either. Never. Hockey is losing a truly great player, leader and gentleman.

Here’s to our Captain Nick. There will never be another like him.

Happy to see you back, Master Chief. Welcome home.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/30/12 at 10:22 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Fuch, fuch,fuch,fuch,fuch,fuch,fuch.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/30/12 at 10:23 PM ET

dougie's avatar

So, have we just crossed the line from “reload” to “rebuild”?

Posted by dougie on 05/30/12 at 11:15 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

3 hours later…I still *#$%@& hate it.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/30/12 at 11:31 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

They don’t do that anymore.  One too many Hall of Famers decided to un-retire and play again.

Good point…maybe tomorrow has nothing to do with Lidstrom, it’s just the team captain at a press conference announcing the un-retirement and signing of Dominik Hasek.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 05/30/12 at 11:36 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Honestly feel like I wanna cry.  End of an era - a damn good era.

Big changes ahead for our Wings.

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 05/30/12 at 11:44 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Assuming the presser is a goodbye, can we start planning an A2Y h2h sort of gathering for the retirement ceremony? I have a feeling we’ll find out once and for all if tears would rust tinfoil.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/30/12 at 11:56 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Photobucket

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 05/30/12 at 11:57 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Thanks. Gary. Ass.

It’s the dipshit commisioner’s fault. The lost 2004-05 season brought a ton of new revenue to the owners ($2BILLION tv contract), so naturally Lil Gary wants to put the screws to the players again and take even more money for his bosses.

TPH knows there will be either a shortened and compressed season (a la the NBA this season, 3 games in 3 nights WTF) or no season at all. A compressed season would be too hard on his aging body and no season at all would mean he would turn 44 during his next playoffs. I bet he wants no part of either scenario.

I also think the bone bruise injury, and how long it has taken his body to recover from it, played a role in the decision.

Nick may not have changed the game as Bobby Orr did, but there is a damn good argument to be made that the greatest defenseman that has EVER played the game is retiring tomorrow. I remember watching Orr as a kid. In my mind, Nick is the best ever. He should be missed by not just Red Wing fans, but by all hockey fans. There is one thing I’ve always wondered about Nick’s career.  Would Nick’s star have shown as brightly if dick Gnida hadn’t been driving the limo that night and Vlady had had a full career? Or would those two bright stars have cancelled each other out?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/31/12 at 02:02 AM ET

Came here to make Cptn D’s point re: upcoming CBA negotiations and how Nick knows which way the wind is blowing. I think the inside scoop on CBA was the I-beam that broke the Captain’s back. Retire near the very top of his game or deal with the greedy games of a midget who thinks he’s the smartest pharmacist in the room. Go copulate yourself, Gary. Ass.

Nick is the living embodiment of the Red Wings’ ideals. We are lucky to have him wear the wheel for as long as he did. I am grateful I was able to watch him play Incredible hockey for the greatest organ-i-zation in professional sport.

Posted by Ow. My ass. from Iowa on 05/31/12 at 03:30 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Welcome back chief.  Been a long time sailor.

I join the call for one more year but I think deep down inside, we all new it was coming.

You have to wonder though, just how much of it has to do with the physical aspect of his own…and how much is put toward “To hell with this….Screw you Gary.  Ass”.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/31/12 at 10:09 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Welcome back, Chief.

I prefer to look at this all as Kronwall now being able to win a couple Norris trophies before Brendan Smith starts winning them.

As I told you on Twitter, Chief…  get Lidstrom signed as an assistant coach to run the PP and PK and do it yesterday.

Posted by Primis on 05/31/12 at 10:23 AM ET