Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Red Wings/Blackhawks

Kind of a yak game tonight.

As Larry Murphy discussed during the 2nd intermission, Detroit 's routine has been messed up sine yesterday's practice where they skated in small groups to avoid the spreading of the COVID virus.

Then flying out this morning, no morning skate an the result was a 4-1 loss tonight.

Detroit's lone goal is below, see you Sunday afternoon.

Team stats

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

PierreC's avatar

We deserved better.

Greiss would have love to have another chance on the bad second goal.

Why 7 defenses ?

Did our defense play bad recently ? I sure love to have an explanation…unless our beloved coach love to mixed up lines with 11 forwards.

All these changes were a bad decision

What happened to Givani Smith ? Wasn’t he suppose to be in the line-up ? Of course its more fun to watch Nielsen of Helm in action.

Again Mantha was floating ...he is getting painfull to watch. Larks had a terrible first half of the game, got better later on and scored a beautiful gaol..but still, so far this season i’m waiting to see the real Larkin.

Brome is now a PK specialist..again thanks to our beloved coach who absolutely don’t trust him offensively. I thought SY signed Brome as an offensive threat ! Give Larks and lil Bert to Brome for a whole game and he will scores..

By the way what Gerard Galland doing these days ??

Overall we dominated, and played a good road game. But it was written in the skye that the puck wasn’t going to roll for us. That Lankinen stopped everything…

On to the next game…with 12 forwards and 6 Ds..

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 01/22/21 at 11:04 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I spent the third period watching #39 when he was on the ice. Didn’t watch the play, just kept focusing on Mantha. Most guys scrimmage harder than he plays.

I’ve been critical since I watched him in Grand rapids, and I’m not going to stop. He seemed to be getting better the last couple years, but he’s regressed badly.

When you’re scoring goals, it’s easy to overlook this. But he’s not putting himself in position to score.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/22/21 at 11:34 PM ET

I’ve seen some Blackhawks fans in past months suggest Lankinen
is the one goalie of the three they have longer-term hopes for.
First time Chicago hasn’t given up like five goals.

I’m assuming since Merrill was playing quite a bit, seven
D was about getting a look at Djoos while hedging with the more
experienced Biega. And since four forwards we started the season with are
now having to sit out. With Helm back in I’m not sure why Brome wouldn’t get
more of a chance to play with more skilled players in a more offensive role.
Maybe next game Blashill will settle on six D and Givani will get a look.

probably deserve to be 0-3

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/23/21 at 12:12 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Once again, Mantha looked like he was just going through the motions. And what’s with that weak-ass “sweeping” motion on his shots this year. The ice is already clean, Anthony, it doesn’t need any additional cleaning.

I’m so impressed with Bobby Ryan and Mattias Brome. And Mickey’s comment about Brome looking like Homer (“only faster”) is spot on. They, along with Larkin and Lil’ Bert, are fun to watch whenever they’re on the ice.

The exact opposite is true when Mantha, Namestnikov, Filppula and Neilsen are on the ice. Mantha because he looks lazy. Namestnikov because he looks “lost” out there. And the other two because, well, because they’re not very good.

Feel a little bad for Greiss as he’s made some mistakes here and there but doesn’t probably deserve to be 0-3

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/23/21 at 12:12 AM ET

I was thinking the same thing last night. As he skated off the ice, I could imagine him thinking, “Man, what the hell did I get myself into here.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/23/21 at 10:41 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I am going to bash the power play again even though I did this before the game and within the game thread. The Wings look like the old Table Top Hockey game ( you know the one with the Original Bubble) and no one has their hands on the levers.

Either this team is standing still and not skating or the are bumbling over each other or passing the puck to a covered man or in the wrong position or taking low percentage shots. It’s Ugly! It has been going on for too long. Even during the Badcock years. I know, I know blash has had the quality players…..

Like I said last night, Blash and friends should study the hawks PP and take some notes. It’s one of the best powerplays I have seen in a while. They looked zen last night. Tic tac toe passing Almost like the Russian 5. It made my heart feel good and that is hard to say about the Blackhawks.

The second thing that is a concern is the faceoff. They are doing a great job on winning these battles but there is no one there to receive the puck. Either the player is in the wrong position or they are not moving their feet. I saw Larkin and Glenny win a dozen faceoffs and no one was there to receive the damn thing. Ugh. This is a possession game. lol

there was a lot of good in their game yesterday too. Like many mentioned Lark was not good in the beginning but he found his game face later on. Brome, Ryan, Stecher, Bert, DD and Ras were pretty good last night.

“Finally why pull our goalie with already a man up ?? They can ice the puck !! does our beloved coach knows that ? We still had 3 minutes to play down by two with the momentum you don’t pull your goalie with an extra man. They instantly got a goal on the play.”
Exactly Pierre, I was bitching about in the game thread. Thanks for bring it up.

I do not know what Stevie sees in blash, but I hope it comes to fruition soon. This team does look better so there is hope, but when he makes rookie decisions like pulling the goalie at that moment makes me wonder….

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/23/21 at 12:12 PM ET