Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Detroit Red Wings/Toronto Maple Leafs

A very good first period saw the Wings score three unanswered goals and up 3-1.

A good second period with the Wings scoring the only goal.

The third period a different story.  Leafs with 3 goals in the first 11 1/2 minute and the score was tied at 4-4.  The Wings stopped forechecking, instead they sat back waiting for the Leafs, it didn't work.

No more scoring in the third so off to OT.

Larkin scores in OT!  Detroit 5 Toronto 4.

Goals, stats and Kronwall hit below.

Kapanen.

Ericssson.

Glendening.

Nyquist.

Green.

Kronwall hit on Matthews.

Tavares.

Hyman.

Johnsson.

Larkin in OT.

Toronto broadcast.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

Larkin. Ohh myyyy

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/06/18 at 09:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Larkin

Posted by RWBill on 12/06/18 at 09:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This is nuts, and unexpected.

FCB7117F-28BE-4CB6-BFD1-1DCA09643777

Posted by RWBill on 12/06/18 at 10:09 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Listening to the Leafs radio post game…they are freaking out about this loss. Ex GM Bill Waters saying Babcock cost them a victory, Nylander shouldn’t have played, Tavares too cute in O.T….very similar to Lions fans after another loss.  LOL

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/06/18 at 10:39 PM ET

I don’t even care so much what place we are in. This team now is pleasure to watch with all this hustle all over the ice. Larkin is a star and Jensen is pretty good too.
And this is without Mantha, Bert, DK, Daily, Helm.
I thought E had a great game. Just poor Kron, so slow.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/06/18 at 11:05 PM ET

And what a pass by Nyquist to Larkin!

Posted by VPalmer on 12/06/18 at 11:28 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by RWBill on 12/06/18 at 10:09 PM ET

Wait, when did the Atlantic become the toughest division in the league?

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 12/07/18 at 03:49 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by RWBill on 12/06/18 at 10:09 PM ET

Tell this team they’re not supposed to make the playoffs and they’ll ignore you.

That said, I still think they’ll miss, and they won’t juuuuuust miss, it’ll be more than that because Stuff Happens.  But man… the DGAF level (in a good way) of this team right now when bad stuff happens sure is fun.  All I could do for the first two periods last night while watching was laugh and shrug and enjoy Babcock on the TOR bench looking miserable.  I was hoping for like a 9-2 final, TBH, but I’ll take an OT winner still I guess.

Jensen was a beast last night, and Ericsson was awfully good as well.  The latter had some serious snarl to his game that he is usually lacking.

And FFS, that Kronwall hit on Matthews was entirely Matthews’ own fault and I hope it’s not a talking point for the next several days simply because it’s Matthews and he plays in TOR.  Between that and what Jensen did to Tavares, I’ll be surprised if there’s not belly-aching in Leafsville today.

Posted by Primis on 12/07/18 at 07:38 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Jensen was a beast last night

Yes, more people need to be talking about how good Jensen has been. It looks like we actually got a keeper out of the Ouellet, Sproul, Jensen trio.

And where would this team be without Larkin?

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 12/07/18 at 09:27 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I was listening to NHL radio the other day and mentioned the wings turn around. One of the announcers wonder out loud the Dan Bylsma affect because the change has been enormous from the past 3 seasons.

I wonder too.

Great game. Bernie was pretty outstanding in goal. maybe one of those he would want back.

DD.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/18 at 09:38 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

This team is just damn fun to watch again!

Sure, we have the obligatory hiccups most games, last night certainly had a stretch of them. But the hustle, drive, and determination of this team is impressive now.

I haven’t seen a Detroit team this puck-hungry in a few years. They want that damn puck, and they want it now smile

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 12/07/18 at 10:09 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I was listening to NHL radio the other day and mentioned the wings turn around.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/18 at 09:38 AM ET

It’s been surprising that absolutely nobody mainstream is talking about Detroit right now, at least in any methods I see/read/watch/etc.

I’m not really going to start it though.  I’m perfectly happy to have them stay mostly under the radar.  We’re having fun watching them, even when they lose usually, and the promise they’re showing is enough.

I have made one exception to that.  A guy I know hosts a weekly local radio sports show and he recently ended it with basically bemoaning Detroit’s lack of promise with any of their 4 big pro teams, and I sent him a message trying to convince him to pay closer attention to the Wings.  I think they’re Detroit’s best chance for a winner here in the near future, unless Blake Griffin has another gear yet we haven’t seen and can carry the Pistons beyond the Playoff First Round Exit level.

If you know any down/discouraged Michigan/Lions/Tigers fans… give them a nudge toward the Wings.

Posted by Primis on 12/07/18 at 12:47 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Out of curiosity I checked espn’s power rankings earlier this week.  It was probably the first time I looked since 2009.  They had the Wings at about 26.  And the hawks at 24.

This team isn’t getting enough credit right now.  Entertainment value alone, they are more fun to watch than any wings team since 2011/2012.

I still think they should suck for picks, but they are fun to watch.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/07/18 at 04:27 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Primis,

I agree. Wings have the best promise for the future (knock on wood). I only follow the Wings and Tigers. I gave up on the Lions when Barry left. It’s been mediocre my whole life (50 years and going). I am getting excited seeing the pistons play well though. I don’t know if I could ever be a Loins fan again.

All my friends are Wings fans and some I brought into the fold for the reasons you stated.

I don’t really listen to sports talk radio, but I was in Grand Rapids for work this past week and my rental car had Sirus radio, which I never listen to either. Just by chance I hit the wrong button and they were talking hockey and I got dragged in. Sport talk is one of the most worthless items on the airwaves (IMHO). A bunch of blowhard talking heads. Especially 97.1. It is really inane and useless information.  Shit, most of us on here know more about hockey then those radioheads. : )

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/18 at 04:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/18 at 04:42 PM ET

This is a guy I personally know who does a show at an old, smalltown (like 8000-ish people) local station that does a weekly show sports show focused on Detroit pro teams, the UM and MSU, and then some local high school.  Not really comparable to the actual sportsradio industry.  It’s the only reason I occasionally tune in to him.

I think if they keep this up, they’ll start getting a whooooole lot of mainstream pub in the next week or two though.  Detroit is a pretty major NHL market the media can’t ignore for too long, and some of the other stories are wearing thin, or are now non-stories (like Nylander in TOR).

Posted by Primis on 12/07/18 at 06:31 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

What radio Show. Shep in the morning I would listen to years ago. Not even sure he is still on. He used to have great interviews when it came to the Wings. See I don’t mind listening to interviews, but I just don’t like bombastic babbling opinions.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/18 at 08:47 PM ET