Abel to Yzerman

Post-Draft Ranking For Lucas Raymond

Scott Wheeler of The Athletci lists his To[ 50 prospect, post-draft.

5. Lucas Raymond, RW, 18 (Detroit Red Wings — 4th overall, 2020) Previous ranking: N/A

Raymond’s a problem solver. He’s the kind of player whose puck-dominant skill set can get him into trouble and tough spots. But he’s also uniquely equipped with escaping out of that trouble, whether that’s with a short three-foot pass through feet and sticks when he has pushed into traffic or a deceitful shoulder fake or foot adjustment to pull away. You almost want Raymond getting into trouble because it normally means he’s drawn two or three players to him and everyone else is open. And there’s a risk that comes with his game in that way, and in projecting players like him to the next level when everyone’s bigger and faster. But as Raymond’s opportunity at the pro level has grown to match his skill level, it has become increasingly clear that his poise and comfort when he’s under pressure should translate in the NHL, especially when he’s surrounded by better players. Then you added in a constant willingness to apply pressure and work to get the puck back when he doesn’t have it and an improved shot that he appears more willing to use, and suddenly you’ve got a unique and exciting player.

It has been a ton of fun to watch him look to pull the trigger a little more since returning to the ice for the 2020-21 season in August, because his ability to adjust his feet and his stick all elsewhere on the ice also help him deceive goalies with his shot when he wants to. And forget the shot, but how about how easy he makes catching this cross-ice pass on his backhand look?

more ($$$) prospects...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Also…

22. Moritz Seider, RHD, 19 (Detroit Red Wings — 6th overall, 2019)
Previous ranking: No. 14

The thing about projecting Seider is that there isn’t a lot of ‘if’ to it. I’m not convinced he’s ever going to be talented enough offensively or aggressive enough offensively to run a top power play or put up the kind of counting stats that still seem to help the leaguewide notoriety of defencemen. But those are worries of upside, not of making it. He’s going to make it. And he’s likely going to play a lot and be asked to be an all-situations guy when he does. At this point on the board, while there are concerns with some of the players that follow even becoming top-of-the-lineup NHL players, that concern doesn’t exist with Seider. His move up a slot relative to where he was ranked on the summer list is driven, at least a little, by that certainty. I don’t tend to play it safe with my evaluations, but maybe this is me doing that. He really does need to look to the net and look to shoot, rather than deferring to his teammates, when he gets the puck, though.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/14/20 at 06:21 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Craig Custance of The Athletic (paid) talked with executives around the league regarding each team and on the Wings the responses are what we have heard, good value, character guys and this…

“Stevie is very deliberate who he puts around his team,” said one. “If a player is not a culture guy or does not serve a specific purpose, they get shipped out pretty quick. I like Namestnikov. Bobby Ryan is fine. I like Stecher. I like Greiss. Those guys are pretty good.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/14/20 at 07:31 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Another after the draft review,

Yzerman had a year to figure out a path forward for the Detroit Red Wings, and he made a series of smart decisions to help the team in the short and long term.

He signed forwards Vladislav Namestnikov (two years, $2 million AAV) and Bobby Ryan (one year, $1 million) at great bargains.

He inked defensemen Jon Merrill (one year, $925,000 AAV) and Troy Stecher (two years, $1.7 million AAV) to smart deals and replaced an ineffective Jimmy Howard with Thomas Greiss of the Islanders—a nice, German-born liaison for top defensive prospect Moritz Seider—at two years and $3.6 million AAV.

He picked up defenseman Marc Staal, along with a second-round pick from the Rangers, for the last year of his contract to help stabilize the blue line.

Finally, he bought out the rest of Justin Abdelkader’s ill-fated contract.

The Wings have only eight players signed beyond this season, and they have six picks in the first three rounds of next year’s draft. Let’s go!—Wyshynski

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/14/20 at 07:49 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

22. Moritz Seider, RHD, 19 (Detroit Red Wings — 6th overall, 2019)
Previous ranking: No. 14

The thing about projecting Seider is that there isn’t a lot of ‘if’ to it.

This has probably been the most cautious review of Seider I have read, with a level of warning I had not seen yet.  But chances are it’s likely true.

Time will tell a lot, but I will really be interested in seeing how other Dmen develop - especially from this 2020 class as I had hoped they would pick a dman in the first round.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/14/20 at 10:12 AM ET

I’m very impressed with what Yzerman has accomplished so far this offseason. He’s managed to make the Wings better across the board with almost no financial commitment. The players he brought in should have the team headed in the right direction and some will bring more draft picks come the trade deadline.

Plus, they’ll be in even better shape come next “summer” when Helm, Filpula and Neilson’s contracts come off the books. When other teams are bound to be strapped against the cap the Wings will again be in a position of greatest flexibility.

Now, we just need to get this team on the ice and, of course, get Matha and Bertuzzi under contract.

I’m still holding out hope they can use some of their remaining cap space to be at least a facilitator in getting Fluery to another team. The more picks the better.

Posted by evileye on 10/14/20 at 10:17 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/14/20 at 10:12 AM ET

I’m of the same feeling and opinion.  I have a lot of worries that DET’s “top-end” defensive prospects are going to top out at #3’s or #4’, and the thing nobody wants to talk about with that is that if they do then Yzerman has failed.  Nothing else he does will matter, unfortunately, because DET still won’t be home-growing a top-pair d-man, and that means the team is still going to be pretty bad.

And I don’t mean “Well he’s playing top pair minutes on a bad team”.  I mean a #1 or #2 that would be that on a GOOD team.

This is why I really, really wanted them to take Drysdale this year, and then a d-man next also.

That said, who knows?  A lot will depend on DET’s developing of the kids, and I’m not even convinced DET *can* successfully develop a d-man to his ceiling at this point.  I mean, who the heck was the last one that they did?  Kronwall?

Posted by Primis on 10/14/20 at 10:51 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

It’s funny you mention Kronwall because that’s the name which keeps popping into my head.  I’m fearful we’re going to end up with our top d-men all being of the Kronwall level.  Good #3/#4 Dmen, but no #1 or #2.

You never know.  We could end up with a surprise from a kid we pick in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round.  But it’s tough to plan right now when you are also waiting to see what these kids become in 4+ years.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/14/20 at 11:08 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/14/20 at 11:08 AM ET

Jiri Fisher.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/14/20 at 11:42 AM ET

Maybe relax on the “failure” idea?

You can’t say he’s failed evenly remotely for several years in regards to drafting. There are several players who dont even peak until their mid 20s.

Posted by retrospecd on 10/14/20 at 12:53 PM ET

Anyone mentioning draft failure, regarding 18-20 year old defensemen who’ve never stepped foot on an NHL ice surface, are insane. Including Seider ,Yzerman has drafted 10 d-men in two years. We have Choloski, McIsaac and Lindstrom still developing too. Maybe we have a couple top pairing guys there. Maybe not. Maybe we have 5 second pairing guys. Who the hell knows? There’s a lot to work with though and personally Seider, along with Raymond, is the least of my concerns regarding draft picks.

Plus we currently have more than $51m in available cap space for next off season. Yeah, we still nedd to resign Bert and Mantha. But FIFTY ONE MILLION DOLLARS. The next year it’s over $73m. That’ll buy you a lot of defencemen…just saying.

Posted by godblender on 10/14/20 at 01:55 PM ET

Plus I trust Steve’s draft decisions more than I ever did Kenny’s. So there’s that.

Posted by godblender on 10/14/20 at 01:57 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Everybody chill out.  Man.  Some hypotheticals being thrown around with “if being a key word.

It’s freaking off season - this is what we do.  Speculate over everything.  No one is right; no one is wrong.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/14/20 at 02:12 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Kronwall was a solid #2 for big stretches.  He was a bottom-tier #1 for a short time when on his A-game.  His time as a #3 or lower coincided with the Wings not being a team with legit post-season aspirations (so 2014+).

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 10/14/20 at 02:38 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I remember some one on here saying a lot of the good dmen come from the second round. Its a crap shoot still but you roll the dice and hopefully all the diligence you did in scouting pays off.

Just keep building and making smart moves. None of Steves moves for players really paid off last season but none except maybe Regula was a bad move so compared to Kennys moves things are good.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/14/20 at 03:36 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by godblender on 10/14/20 at 01:55 PM ET

That’s the problem though:  DET needs to draft and develop one, not just go out and pay out the nose for one (or two).  I mean, I guess DET could have gone out and signed both Pietrangelo and Krug, but that’s a short-term fix, not a long-term one, not one a rebuilding team needs.

Folks can criticize me for being “negative” but I think people have had expectations of DET’s prospects of late that are proving to be a bit high.  We need to not look at this with rose-colored glasses.  Nobody else around the game is as high on DET’s prospects as this fanbase is it seems still, and that should be raising some eyebrows… we might need to temper expectations.

I mean, I think Fabbri worked out pretty good. The guy could be a good player in DET for a number of years still and they sent a player they got off waivers the other way in de la Rose (even though I liked him).

Way worse than Regula for Perlini IMHO was Saarjarvi for Comrie, who then was basically promptly claimed off waivers.  DET sent a prospect away for nothing basically.  At least Perlini played for DET for the season… I realize both Perlini and Erne were still underwhelming though.

Posted by Primis on 10/15/20 at 09:14 AM ET