Abel to Yzerman

Polishing Off Glassware And Lubricating Livers, The Hasek Club Car Is Back In Business, Bitches

September isn’t October, but it sure beats the hell out of August.  At least to fans of the Detroit Red Wings, the greatest franchise in all of sports.

For the first time in years, we have a lot cap space to start the season at the same time as having too few spots on a roster with many players seeking to earn a spot.  And what would it all be without a place to revel in juvenile behaviour, crude insults, sharp commentary, and enough liquour to pickle the liver of everyone surfing the Gore?  That’s right, bitches, the Stress Train is back on track in 2011 and your humble bartender is back behind the bar dispensing cures for what ails you.

I’m not a pharmacist.  I’m not a journalist.  I’m barely coherent day-to-day.  But that won’t prevent me from keeping the doors open at A2Y.

I will spare you commentary for now, there is much we can and will discuss, but I will open up A2Y once again to your comments and sarcasm for the season.  Last season, I went through my own “offseason” induced by talking to Li’l Gary and the nausea he created in my gut.  After seriously considering never watching hockey again, I have decided to return.  Crack is a helluva drug, and watching the Red Wings may be marginally more addictive than it, so I couldn’t resist.

Besides, if all things continue as they are, we are in for another “Bettman Offseason” next summer as Li’l Gary pilots us towards another lockout.  Which means one very important thing:  2011-2012 will be the final season The Perfect Human, Nick Lidstrom, will lace up for the Red Wings.  And I simply can’t ignore the final season of the greatest hockey I’ve ever witnessed played by a defenceman.

I honestly don’t know what the Chief will be up to this season.  I will do my best to keep things going around here until he is back.  Despite being extremely busy with my own life and businesses, I want to ensure that the 19 have a place to call home this season, so I will be posting as often as my schedule allows me to.

Let loose with your comments here, bitches, the road to Cup #12 begins tonight, and I’m sure you have lots on your mind.

What are you drinking?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Bezukov, your link is borked.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/11 at 08:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

There still may be time for the orbit and reentry to change, we can only hope.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/21/11 at 08:56 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Sorry for the vocab… lemme lower the brow back down.

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 09/21/11 at 07:46 PM ET

You can be excused, it’s pre-season.  By 3 games into the regular season hopefully you’ll be dumbing things down to my level.  Try more alcohol.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/21/11 at 08:58 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/11 at 07:51 PM ET

worked for me, unless i’m missing your meaning…

Posted by RWBill from Imported from Detroit, 17 year home of Kris Draper on 09/21/11 at 07:58 PM ET

i’ll work on it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 08:59 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Look at homer being a play maker. And it almost worked.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:00 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I totally know what paul was saying.. i keep on seeing #24 making nice plays and wondering who is that guy?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:02 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Shades of Chelios making his famous up-ice rushes.

Or not.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/21/11 at 09:06 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Attaboy Jimmy.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:11 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

So, Kronner will be our new offensive weapon this year. Nice!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/21/11 at 09:12 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

If you find something you think may be a piece of UARS, do not touch it. Contact a local law enforcement official for assistance.

nice.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 09/21/11 at 09:14 PM ET

Sal's avatar

So, Kronner will be our new offensive weapon this year. Nice!

Well, it’s about time he steps up.  Hope he and Stuart get to stay together this year.  I like that pairing.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 09/21/11 at 09:14 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

phoey

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:15 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Evening Ya All!

It’s been a Loooooonnnnnnnnng summer!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 09/21/11 at 09:15 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I think the play by play guy is meeting Geno under the bleachers later…

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:16 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

These announcers are ready to give the Pens the Cup tonight.

Insufferable.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/21/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Boo.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/11 at 09:20 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

“Net-front presence”

Sure glad I didn’t have to wait for Edzo to hear that beauty.

Hopefully we hear an “active stick” reference soon, and then I’ll be right back to mid-season bitterness.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/21/11 at 09:20 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

yay preseason

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:20 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Is it time to start complaining about the refs?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:22 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So I found a feed… got excited… found it was those toolbag Pittsburgh announcers… then realized PIT is playing all their regulars against what appears to be mostly a mish-mash of WIngs guys trying to make spots and Jimmy… and I turned it back off after 35 seconds.

Posted by Primis on 09/21/11 at 09:23 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Is it time to start complaining about the refs?

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 09/21/11 at 08:22 PM ET

Joe Bowen was doing as much two minutes into the Leafs/Flyers game tonight, so, yes, it’s time to start.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/21/11 at 09:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Jeesus… Hudler can’t even play like a man in exhibition games.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:25 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Christ.  I don’t know what’s worse about these Pit douchebag announcers.  The constant assumptions about what others are thinking/feeling (Mark Howe appreciates that play!) or the ridiculousness of their commentary regarding Penguins players.  It’s the first preseason game of their season, and they’re giving Malkin the Art Ross already?  JFC.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/11 at 09:29 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/11 at 08:29 PM ET

^^^^

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:30 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Evening bitches! Just tuned in… who is this guy spooging all over shrek?

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 09/21/11 at 09:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I knew that I knew that guy from somewhere.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:36 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

hey, did you guys hear Malkin is the best hockey player ever?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 09/21/11 at 09:39 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Maybe it’s time for some intermission entertainment, eh?

The next

will be huge!

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 09/21/11 at 09:39 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I know it’s early and all, but I’m still not convinced Smith is ready for the big show. I’m glad we’ve got other options.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:53 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Awesome!

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/11 at 09:55 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

There’s a goal. Nicely done Homer.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:55 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Two bumpers, in the corner pocket

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 09/21/11 at 09:56 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

A2Y is alive! (and not showing on my homepage)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/21/11 at 10:00 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

heh, love me some Pavel

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 10:06 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

A2Y is alive! (and not showing on my homepage)

Likewise on all counts. And people say Ken and Mick are homers…have they ever listened to these two canoes?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/21/11 at 10:10 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

According to the Shanny video, that should NOT be a penalty. The player put himself in a bad position.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 10:12 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

These announcers can f/o… that hit was clean.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 10:12 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:12 PM ET

Samuelsson looked right at Cleary and turned his back anyway.  BS call.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 10:13 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Pavel wearing the 24 jersey is nothing but CLASS. nuf said

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 09/21/11 at 10:13 PM ET

and Cleary had already committed to the hit before samuelsson turned to the boards

Posted by cmthe4th on 09/21/11 at 10:14 PM ET