Abel to Yzerman

Polishing Off Glassware And Lubricating Livers, The Hasek Club Car Is Back In Business, Bitches

September isn’t October, but it sure beats the hell out of August.  At least to fans of the Detroit Red Wings, the greatest franchise in all of sports.

For the first time in years, we have a lot cap space to start the season at the same time as having too few spots on a roster with many players seeking to earn a spot.  And what would it all be without a place to revel in juvenile behaviour, crude insults, sharp commentary, and enough liquour to pickle the liver of everyone surfing the Gore?  That’s right, bitches, the Stress Train is back on track in 2011 and your humble bartender is back behind the bar dispensing cures for what ails you.

I’m not a pharmacist.  I’m not a journalist.  I’m barely coherent day-to-day.  But that won’t prevent me from keeping the doors open at A2Y.

I will spare you commentary for now, there is much we can and will discuss, but I will open up A2Y once again to your comments and sarcasm for the season.  Last season, I went through my own “offseason” induced by talking to Li’l Gary and the nausea he created in my gut.  After seriously considering never watching hockey again, I have decided to return.  Crack is a helluva drug, and watching the Red Wings may be marginally more addictive than it, so I couldn’t resist.

Besides, if all things continue as they are, we are in for another “Bettman Offseason” next summer as Li’l Gary pilots us towards another lockout.  Which means one very important thing:  2011-2012 will be the final season The Perfect Human, Nick Lidstrom, will lace up for the Red Wings.  And I simply can’t ignore the final season of the greatest hockey I’ve ever witnessed played by a defenceman.

I honestly don’t know what the Chief will be up to this season.  I will do my best to keep things going around here until he is back.  Despite being extremely busy with my own life and businesses, I want to ensure that the 19 have a place to call home this season, so I will be posting as often as my schedule allows me to.

Let loose with your comments here, bitches, the road to Cup #12 begins tonight, and I’m sure you have lots on your mind.

What are you drinking?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›      Next »

bezukov's avatar

I’ve been waiting for this day.  Such a long wait.  I’ll take a Stroh’s.  Lets get the puck dropped already!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:03 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I dunno who these talking heads are on pregame, but the blonde is attractive and the dude is smart. Please don’t ruin it with Pierre during the game.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Good link from Since71 also, thanks.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:07 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Nate, the blond is Kathryn Tappen, formerly of NESN, and it’s really, really weird for me to see her on NHLN.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I’ll take a Stroh’s.

Stroh’s Bohemian Style Beer. I remember the label well. Stay thirsty. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/21/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Ready bitches? Let’s Roll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/21/11 at 09:09 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Eaves with Pavel. Good thing I’m not wearing pants

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Kronwall joining the rush, and Cleary with a blatant interference on the defensive end. so what.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:10 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Eesh, saw #22 in white and nearly choked thinking about Leb-duh.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:11 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Good thing I’m not wearing pants

Good thing I’m naked, with a full tub of Vaseline and unopened box of Kleenex.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 09/21/11 at 09:11 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

By the time calquake reads this he’ll be elbow deep in some sheep, or a hooker in Mio.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:13 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Jiri Hudler fanned on a shot….where have I heard that before?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/11 at 09:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

then Huds backhanded a backwards pass right into the D.  ok I’ll stop nitpicking on Huds.  The Franchise will make their decisions.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

PP? Should I get the whisky ready?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:15 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Eesh, saw #22 in white and nearly choked thinking about Leb-duh.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 07:11 PM ET

I still have nightmares.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Smith on the PP

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:16 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Weak call. bUT THIS TIME WE"RE SERIOUS11

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Have the sound down for the game, doing some work and just glancing at the game.

Keep seeing this #24 all over the ice, wonder who the hell, then it hits me.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/21/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Keep seeing this #24 all over the ice, wonder who the hell, then it hits me.

heh, did the same myself. Good thing his stride is distinctive.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:19 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Yep. Fefinitely pre-season. Lots o’ rust all around.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:24 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Fefinitely?  the hell? *Definitely*

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:25 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Fefinitely?  the hell? *Definitely*

yes everyone is a little rusty.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 09/21/11 at 09:26 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

boooo

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:27 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Shitty time to check in…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 09/21/11 at 09:27 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Fefinitely?  the hell? *Definitely*

yes everyone is a little rusty.

Actually that’s mid-season form for this bunch.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 09/21/11 at 09:28 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

There’s mid-season Happy.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 09/21/11 at 09:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Huds took a nice shot!  Solid iron though.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:30 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Kronner with a beauty from Pavel.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/21/11 at 09:31 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 09/21/11 at 09:31 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Pavel magic.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 09/21/11 at 09:31 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Kronwall down between the dots, lol.  what lift, a scorer’s touch.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:32 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

How nice it was to see Pasha pick up where he left off three months ago

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/21/11 at 09:33 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Good thing Rosby’s not playing or Pavel would have been slashed or cross checked for that beautiful assist.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 09/21/11 at 09:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

JIMMAH

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

OBTW, If you’re wondering about the 26 pieces and 1200 pounds of satellite that will be crashing to the earth in a couple of days, NASA is posting updates here:

SATELLITE CRASHING TO EARTH

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 09/21/11 at 09:36 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

The only reason that puck got to Letang on the far side you moron was Datsyuk’s swiping it away from Malkin…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 09/21/11 at 09:39 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Damn I was hoping it would land on a certain ice arena in western Pennsylvania after the Wings get back in DET.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:40 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 09/21/11 at 07:40 PM ET

I’d be fine if it just took out the broadcast booth.  These guys are awful.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 09/21/11 at 09:42 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

i like baseball, football, basketball, but no game is as fast as hockey.

i am sure glad hockey season is here.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 09/21/11 at 09:43 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 09/21/11 at 07:39 PM ET

Yeah these Pitt guys are the worst kind of homers.. just obsequious and sycophantic.  Sorry for the vocab… lemme lower the brow back down.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/21/11 at 09:46 PM ET