Abel to Yzerman

Pius Suter Signs With The Wings

added 5:49pm, press release is below...

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today agreed to terms with center Pius Suter on a two-year contract.

Suter, 25, appeared in 55 games with the Chicago Blackhawks in 2020-21, ranking among team leaders with 14 goals (4th), 13 assists (6th), 27 points (4th), three game-winning goals (T2nd), 112 shots (4th), 34 blocked shots (6th) and 27 takeaways (7th) in 16:20 average time on ice (4th, forwards). Suter also ranked among NHL rookie leaders in goals (5th), assists (T10th) and points (T6th). His season highlights included his first career hat trick – and first three career NHL goals – in his sixth NHL game on Jan. 24 vs. Detroit. Prior to the start of the NHL season, Suter combined for 10 points (4-6-10) in 12 games with the ZSC Lions in Switzerland’s National League and with the GC Kusnacht Lions in second-tier Switzerland.

The native of Zurich, Switzerland, played the previous five seasons in his home country, totaling 173 points (83-90-173), a plus-69 rating and 82 penalty minutes in 216 National League games with ZSC from 2015-20. He earned an NHL contract as an undrafted free agent after capturing most-valuable player honors with the Lions in which he led the league in goals and points with 53 points (30-23-53) in 50 games in 2019-20. He helped ZSC to a league championship in 2017-18 and was named to the media’s all-star team.

Suter had previous North American experience with the Ontario Hockey League’s Guelph Storm, where he was a teammate of Red Wings forwards Tyler Bertuzzi and Robby Fabbri from 2013-15. With the Storm, Suter amassed 96 points (52-44-96), a plus-41 rating and 44 penalty minutes in 127 games over two seasons, in addition to contributing 13 points (9-4-13), a plus-10 rating and 12 penalty minutes in 29 postseason games. Suter helped Guelph to an OHL championship in 2014, and finished second to Bertuzzi the following season with 72 points (43-29-72) in 61 games. Suter has represented his country extensively on the international stage, tying for the team lead with five points (3-2-5) in four games at the 2018 Winter Olympics and notching six points (5-1-6) over 12 games in back-to-back appearances at the 2015 and 2016 IIHF World Junior Championships.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MurrayChadwick's avatar

There you go!

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/28/21 at 05:21 PM ET

Looks like a good signing. I see we are all in on Swedes.

Posted by JL72 on 07/28/21 at 05:21 PM ET

Some of the 19 are gonna be ecstatic.

I know nothing about the guy, but based on what the 19 feels about him, well, I guess I should get excited, too.

Oh, wait.  He scored his first career hat trick against the Wings.

Smooth, smooth skater.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/28/21 at 05:21 PM ET

Shanny_Fan's avatar

This is great!

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 07/28/21 at 05:21 PM ET

Nice! He played on a line with Bert and Fabbri in Guelph. That might not be a bad 2nd line for us. Givani was also on that team. Great signing.

Posted by godblender on 07/28/21 at 05:22 PM ET

The exact type of signing I was hopeful for!  Maybe he amounts to nothing, but low risk, decent reward type deal!  This is great.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 07/28/21 at 05:23 PM ET

Wasn’t expecting that one but I’ll take it.

Posted by MZ2215 on 07/28/21 at 05:24 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Ayyyyy!

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/28/21 at 05:27 PM ET

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 07/28/21 at 05:30 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

This is good stuff.  Sounded like he had a few other options, so he chose to be here.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/28/21 at 05:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

$3.25M AAV.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/28/21 at 05:35 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Washington release…

The Washington Capitals signed defenseman Dylan McIlrath to a two-year, two-way contract (2021-22: $750,000/450,000; 2022-23: $750,000/475,000).

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/28/21 at 05:40 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Not the Suter I was hoping for, but there’s potential for something really good here. Worst case he’s a replacement for Filppula.on the 3rd line.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/28/21 at 05:42 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

At least we are getting *young* scoring talent. Its costing more, but we’ve got the cap space to do it. Much prefer this move to retreading Ryan, Gagner, Vanek and the like.

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/28/21 at 05:48 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Press release added to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/28/21 at 05:50 PM ET

Looks like a good signing. I see we are all in on Swedes.

Posted by JL72 on 07/28/21 at 05:21 PM ET

Not to nit-pick, but he is SWISS, not a Swede.

Posted by exor54 on 07/28/21 at 05:55 PM ET

Not to nit-pick, but he is SWISS, not a Swede.

Posted by exor54 on 07/28/21 at 05:55 PM ET

Yeah. I learned that after I posted.

So, maybe we are all in on people from countries that start with “S”?

Posted by JL72 on 07/28/21 at 05:59 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I was really hoping we’d get him, and glad we did.  I still don’t understand why Chicago cut ties with him, though they are doing some funny stuff over there.

I have a message into my BIL who is a huge fan of the Hawks - I asked him for more info on this guy and if he knows why the Hawks quit on him.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/28/21 at 06:16 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Awesome!!!! Cannot wait to see him play for the Wings!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/28/21 at 06:20 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Hmm, this is a nice little surprise.

Stevie working some of his Jedi magic.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/28/21 at 06:24 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Credit to those who mentioned him as a target

Seems like he’ll be a good fit. Should bring some offense to the middle six

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/28/21 at 06:52 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

It’s kind of baffling that CHI didn’t give him a QO. Even if they couldn’t afford to keep him they could have traded him for assets like they did with Zadorov. Stan Bowman is all over the place right now

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/28/21 at 07:04 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

His offensive upside looks good, but he won’t replace Glendening in the faceoff circle. Last year he finished 96th among centers at 42.6% on 625 faceoffs. Still, it seems like a good signing.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/28/21 at 07:06 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area

Unless the Caps let him stay in GR, that’s a big loss for the Griffins.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/28/21 at 07:08 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Hyped for this one. Let’s see what the kid can do.

Posted by RedMenace from A Miserable Existence on 07/28/21 at 07:10 PM ET

Correct me if I’m wrong, but suddenly every forward is 26 or younger but for Gagne and Nielsen who are on expiring contracts. Crazy.

Posted by nolan33 on 07/28/21 at 07:21 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Nice!  The perfect 2C.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/28/21 at 07:43 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I think this is a great signing. Short term, giving him time to prove he belongs here, with decent money for what he did last season.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/28/21 at 07:57 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Steve MFing Yzerman.  Great move.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/28/21 at 08:17 PM ET

Posted by nolan33 on 07/28/21 at 07:21 PM ET

And they’re young veterans.

As the Master Chief just said, “Steve MFing Yzerman.”

I think that’s all we need to know.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/28/21 at 08:30 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

In Yzerman we trust. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 07/28/21 at 09:17 PM ET

A very boring UFA day became so much more exciting

My best friend is also Chicago huge fan. He told me Chicago has too much depth at center in the system (gave me like 6 names, I only knew 2-3) and decided not to pay for Suter (but I am not sure he knew he would cost only 3.5 mil),

Posted by VPalmer on 07/28/21 at 09:41 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

I’m loving all these short term deals, too. Every year is a prove-it year for a big chunk of the roster for the next few. Then we’ll see who gets the big money/term when the time comes.

Posted by Steeb on 07/28/21 at 10:01 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Bil doesn’t know why they didn’t sign him but thinks maybe he’s they are going to try to sign another Ufa. Personally I think Bowman is about to throw a hail Mary like Dubas is.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/28/21 at 11:22 PM ET

We had apparently been chasing Suter last time when we ended up signing Brome.

Looks like a passable 2nd offensive center and gives us a little more depth to move Namestikov around as needed.

Chicago has been so one step forward, one step back on cap and salaries, it’s a little confusing. But I guess they do have alternatives and bigger cap issues a present and looming than we do by far. Maybe they decided last-minute not to qualify Suter and didn’t have time to line up a trade. And maybe with all of the RFAs cut loose and the usual UFAs and the flat cap teams simply had many more options to sign than they did an appetite to send Chicago assets.

If a team is closer to the cap I can see not wanting to pay a guy well over 3M on a two year deal who only has the one season in Chicago. We were already interested in the player and he and his agent knew it and we had both cap space and room at center to play an offensive role. Wouldn’t shock me if Bowman called Stevie to try and get a pick before yesterday.

Posted by lefty.30 on 07/29/21 at 01:46 AM ET

McIlrath is a bummer.

He’d have given anyone looking to line up Raymond or Berggren et al in GR something to think about at least. Good option to have in the system as a 9-10 guy I guess.

I never saw the harm in having him up in Detroit part-time.

I’m glad the organization sees potential in Givani Smith, including to do more than fight. But it’s still useful to have a true heavyweight who is also a good AHL D and mentor who can fill in in the big leagues.

We saw last Spring what can happen when unhinged personalities are running amok with the knowledge no one on the other team can do anything. Won’t be surprised to see Washington put McIlrath in the lineup against Boston and/or the Rangers and maybe the Isles.

Posted by lefty.30 on 07/29/21 at 01:55 AM ET

Sheesh, McIlrath and Tom Wilson.  Not exactly the Bruise Brothers, but the Caps have their eyes set on beating up the Conference into submission.  TBL’s definitely their target.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/29/21 at 02:22 PM ET