Abel to Yzerman

Out Past The Cornfields Where The Woods Got Heavy? That’s Where It Has To Start

You've got some time so I want you to do something for me.  Go whip out your "Live Bullet" and cue up the greatest rock and roll song of our generation, "Night Moves".  Early on, just after Seger tells us about the aforementioned cornfields?

That's when he throws the line at us about the backseat of his '60 Chevy.  He doesn't sing it though.  He states it. Proclaims it. Brags about it. In the live version, Seger's swagger is unreal. He did some drilling that entire summer and he's not shy telling us about it.

Our boys used to drill like that.  Our boys used to lay pipe. Backrooms, alleys, trusty woods.  They'd live by the sword because that's what Red Wings did.  They slung that shit because they could, because it's what young men with talent did in a target rich environment.

Well, the hunting's not so good these days and more than a few of us have found ourselves a little sad, humming tunes from 1997 or 2002 or 2008.

And it could all end tonight, or Sunday.  Lose these two and the streak's over, the era fades away.

Chicago is a beast.  A circling, dangerous, darting dirvish. Too much talent.  Every line a hazard. Stingy. Well managed. Invincible, I'm sure.

I'm sure of it.  The Hawks simply cannot be beaten, not by this Wing team.  Too broken. Too old.  Too stale.  Poorly designed and downright neglected by a GM who have been fooling us all for years.

But if they win tonite?  I wonder. I wonder what a win tonite could do, if it would be enough to remind these Wings of what they used to be, of the villages they burned, the swath they so brazenly cut back when we were getting much more than our share.

A win tonite lets them wait on the thunder, you know.  It does.  A win tonite doesn't guarantee jack shit but it does enough to remind themselves, and Chicago, that counting out these Wings may be ill advised.

What an odd ditty. With 8 games left the Wings are dealing with mysteries without any clues.  A new place where none of us expect much. It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›      Next »

DAN M's avatar

I hope you’re right homer. But if we suck which its sure lookin like we’re goin down that path than what about mrzak and careau (spelling?).  U pay franchise goalies when they win you a cup or 2. Or stand on their head all the way to the finals.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:10 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Thanks for sharing that Herm. Vladdie back on his feet again…. man that is one tough m’fer. Kinda makes bitching about a hockey team losing some games seem a little less important.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 06:11 PM ET

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:11 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

We’ve done a disservice to datsyuk by not giving him nash or gaborik to play with in what obviously his last couple years. Even semin or pominville or SOMEONE anyone!?!?  Its not surprising. We didn’t treat fedorov well either and lo and behold he’s a mighty duck.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:17 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

nice to see that when presented with a reasonable argument, out comes an insult.  grow up.

what about mrzak and careau

what about them?  they are FAR less proven, in fact not at ALL proven, than Howard.  so we don’t sign Howard for some security, on the 1-in-20 (if we’re lucky) chance that either of those guys will “make it” in the NHL?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 06:17 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Out comes an insult from me?  Where u saying I insulted u?

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:19 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

a FEED Don’t know from where yet

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/12/13 at 06:22 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I hope you’re right homer

“homer”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 06:26 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

SHOOT THE FU**ING PUCK! Anywhere, everywhere, somewhere, over here, over there, just shoot the damn puck! That is all.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/12/13 at 06:27 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I’d have given up smith, ericsson and filppula for gaborik in 1 second + our 1st rd pick. It would have at least shown that we’re interested in more than just backing in as a 2nd tier playoff team to get smoked by sj or nashville or chicago.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:27 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Oh wow sensitive. I’m sry I wasn’t even tryin to go there. For real. We’re even u said kiss my ass lol.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:28 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

NIVO - when I saw your avatar just now I remembered something I noticed the other night watching the FSD feed.  Not only is Murph gone, but Shannon was “heard but not seen.”  I wonder if they are cutting back on expenses by laying off camera operators…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 06:30 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

mortgaging the future to have a slightly less remote chance of getting anywhere in the playoffs this year is ridiculous.

and yeah LOL whatever.  I guess I am a homer, anyway.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 06:31 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

How is that mortgaging the future?  Ericsson SUCKS. I’m sry I’ve tried to be patient, supportive, postive. He’s terrible. Smith has been a total bust.  We waited 5 years of grooming for this? And filppula can scram too and I wouldn’t care at all. What’s he got they said?  1 point in 11 games??  Get LOST!

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:34 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That time of month or something?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 06:34 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Gaborik is still young enough to be included in said “future” too

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:35 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Dude, just stop.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/12/13 at 06:37 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

We have plenty of future. Fryk, jurco, sproul, ouelett, the goalies we’ve already mentioned. Dekeyser. Jarnkrok, pulkinen whatever his name is.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:38 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

How is that mortgaging the future?  Ericsson SUCKS.

no, he doesn’t.  I think you suffer from “comparing everyone to Lidstrom” syndrome.

Smith is a ROOKIE.  anyone who knows even a shred of anything about hockey knows it takes much longer for a dman to develop after transitioning to the NHL than a forward position.

We waited 5 years of grooming for this?

he has played all of 41 NHL games.  impatient much?

yes pretty much everyone here agrees Filpulla should not be in the Wings future plans.

you also said a first round draft pick.  i.e. mortgaging the future.  you know Gaborik is 30, right?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 06:38 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

That time of month or something?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 07:34 PM ET

ROFL

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 06:39 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

This LB was posted too early.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/12/13 at 06:41 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

30’s younger than datsyuk, z, franzen. Smith will never be anything than a grunt type defenseman in the NHL. We expected this guy to be the #1 or #2 guy.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:41 PM ET

perfection's avatar

yeah man, what on earth are you talking about. Ericsson has probably been our most consistant all around d-man this season and our best on the PK. Not really sure what you’re watching.

and to call a rookie a “bust” is just silly. Smith is experiencing some natural growing pains, but is progressing fine.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/12/13 at 06:43 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Did u watch ericsson in the chicago game?  Have u watched smith’s terrible giveaways and cutesey shoddy lazy clears and dump outs?

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:44 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Ericssons our best on the PK. Where’s our PK rank?  20 something right?

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:46 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Did u watch ericsson in the chicago game?

Did you watch only the Chicago game?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/12/13 at 06:46 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

No my friend. I’m hardcore. I watch every second of every period of every game. I stay up late. I drag ass the next day. No excuses ever. I bleed this team. BLEED it. And its despicable to me.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:47 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Crap…Z is game time decision with groin? A Datroit Re Wing captain plays tonight…no matter what….period.

Posted by The Hurricane on 04/12/13 at 06:48 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Its fine we totally had direction the last time he bailed right before puck drop against these pirahnas.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:50 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

gotta be a troll.  no other explanation.

how’s Chicago this time of year, Dan?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 06:52 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Lol I’m in detroit now. But I lived there for 10 years starting in 2000. I fought for our good teams name in the streets everyday!  Their fans suck worse than ericsson

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:53 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Hate the hawks despise them. My heart is broken

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:55 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

is it 8:30 yet?  sheesh.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 06:55 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

“Night Moves” isn’t on “Live Bullet”...sorry to bring that up.  It’s on “Nine Tonight” if you want a live version.  It’s blasting in my headphones right now.

Dammit chic. You’re right. But I think it was a Freudian slip (famous pharmacist)...no way any of the guys on here can relate to “9 tonight”.  “Bullet” is much more realistic.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/12/13 at 06:56 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I went to the winter classic at wrigley. An entire section of blackhawks fans put a bounty on my head. Ah those were the days.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:57 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s a Live Blog, bitches.

Evenin’ Bitches. Thanks, Master Chief. I’m looking forward to tonite’s tilt. Working on mysteries without any clues. Some troll is sayin’ E-52 sucks. We face Scotty Bowman’s Cawks tonite.

A perfect shit storm I’d say. But, you gotta have faith, ah faith, ah faith faith. Yea!

Let’s Roll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/12/13 at 07:05 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Boozin it up whore style tonight bitches.  Miltiary special rum and generic damn COLA

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/12/13 at 07:06 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I’m not a troll. I’m not what u look like ok. I don’t talk hockey with your kind

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 07:06 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I don’t talk hockey with your kind

Kate’s kind is our kind.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/12/13 at 07:08 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

U have to have a brain. Not just like the jersey and drinking beer. I’ve never had a drop at a wings game ever.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 07:08 PM ET