Abel to Yzerman

Out Came The Belt

Yesterday was not the refs. It wasn't the Wings trying to play Boston's style. Brendan Smith's attempt to go with Chara was not anything more than a young, frustrated kid tired of getting run. And I mean he was run. All day.

It was an ass kicking. Simple as that. Or as Stu Nahan said, "Butchering. Plain old butchering."

Boston had more energy and, obviously, much more desperation.

And the Wings couldn't match it.  Honestly, it would have been tough to expect them to.  Do you really think Danny DeKeyser knows what it's like to face a veteran team, a heavy Cup favorite backed into a corner?  Did Tomas Tatar go into yesterday fully prepared for that kind of intensity? Of course not. There is no way he could have seen that coming.

Youth is fun. Frolicking is fun. Puppies and hookers and fire trucks and Charleston Chews.  Fun, fun, fun. Everyone talks about the vibrant, ignorance of youth and how it can carry a team that is "too dumb to know they should be scared", or something like that.

Fun until they get their bottoms spanked.  That's when the fun stops.  When the belt comes out, harsh lessons are typically taught to brash youngsters.

So now they know.  Now they have a full, painful awareness of what it takes to compete at this level, when the weather's warm and the pot starts to really frigging boil.

I don't remember the exact quote, but in '97 Patrick Roy said something after the Wings had gone up in the Western Conference Finals.  It was something like, "we'll see if they're willing to pay the price."  Not exactly, but something like that. He was questioning whether that Wing team had the fortitude to sacrifice everything to win. He doubted they did, or that's what he said.

I'm guessing this is one of those times right now.

The Wings were not outskilled yesterday.  They weren't outcoached. They were beaten down. Their talent is not in question.  Their manhood is. I have to think that the short plane ride from Boston last evening was pretty quiet.

This is not about the calls and not about goaltending.  I know. Both are important. But neither are the storyline that will define this series.  The entire thing is going to come down to whether the Wings are willing to hold on to the puck a little longer and absorb punishment like they've never had to endure, for the sake of speed.

This is not about Smith's dance with Chara. That was a sideshow.  It meant nothing and nobody should be claiming it was an indication of anything. Coincidental roughing minors?  Really? We're going to point to that as an indication...of what? Tempers?

This series is not going to be determined by toughness after the whistle. Character and courage between them will be the deciding factors.  Grit. It's going to come down to the kind of grit that keeps a strong team from having their way with you in front of your own net, or in the corners.

Any way you look at it, the Wings are going to learn from this one.  This team will look back at this series and thank Boston for being the thugs they are. You don't like Milan Lucic? I do. I'd take him on our team.  His teammates love that guy because he will not back down.  Did he scissor pump Smith's DeKeyser's nads? Yep. And? We've seen worse.

They had their asses kicked yesterday. Embarrassed. They knew the desperation was going to be there, but they couldn't have foreseen the tenacity because most of them had never experienced it.

Now they know. They'll be better for yesterday, either starting tomorrow or next Fall.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I can’t disagree, the Wings got taken to the woodshed yesterday.
Even had Jimmah not gifted them the first goal it was still going to a tough row to hoe especially with the special team play being truly special.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/21/14 at 11:11 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The Wings were embarrassed on national TV in an early Sunday game. Sadly, this is not news anymore.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/21/14 at 11:20 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I agree Chief.  Yesterday had to happen.  Going up 2-0 in Boston wasn’t gonna happen short of a bout of malaria striking the Boston locker room.  Boston is going to get their wins in this series, win or lose.  Detroit now has home ice advantage over the rest of the series with the thing at a tie.  That ain’t much but it ain’t nothin,’ and if you told me it was gonna go this way last week I would have taken it.

The major lesson of yesterday is surviving the first ten or so minutes.  Take the start of game two away and it’s complexion is entirely different.  These guys can skate with Boston as long as they stay poised.  The kids ought to know what it takes to hold serve now.  If they can get it back tomorrow night, anything is possible.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/21/14 at 11:21 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Chief this I’d why you’re the best.  You call it like you see it, but you almost always see it for what it really is.  Great post big dog.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/21/14 at 11:27 AM ET

Paul's avatar

A few words, fix the power play!!!  A few goals would have the Bruins re-thinking their strategy, but until then, it will continue.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/21/14 at 11:51 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Agreed. It’s horrible. Also, Franzen and Alfredsson. I know it’s been said but ineffective would be a compliment.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/21/14 at 11:53 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

the pot starts to really frigging boil

see that is where it all went wrong, supposed to smoke pot on 420. Boiling pot…. whoever heard of such silliness

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/21/14 at 12:21 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/21/14 at 11:53 AM ET

Mule might be my least favorite Wing of the last 25 years. As a fan, nothing frustrates me more than a pro athlete capable of brilliance seemingly mailing it in most of the time. Between his concussion history and his performance that vacillates like a sine wave, I’ve been praying that Kenny would trade him or use a compliance buy-out on him for years.

I saw Mule make one great play yesterday. He lobbed the puck in the B’s zone and it led to sustained O zone time and a scoring chance. Previously, the Wings had been firing it in, getting subtly interfered with at the line, allowing the B’s defense to get to the puck unmolested and fire it back out to center ice. it was the only time I recall seeing the Wings do a lob dump in (before I bailed when family arrived at 4-1 in the third).

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/21/14 at 12:24 PM ET

DrD's avatar

FYI, was DeKeyers’ nads…but otherwise, I agree. Trial by fire - be it this year or next, this test will make them better, if it doesn’t kill them first.

Posted by DrD on 04/21/14 at 12:36 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Outstanding post Chief. But that’s why you make the big $$$.

No I don’t like The Nardmaster.  I would not want him on the team.  I do not think he has the ability to play Red Wing hockey.  He would have been a good fit with Probert and Kocur, but the Wings have moved past that.

The whole point of being taken to the wood shed is edumacation.  The Wings got all that and a bowl of soup yesterday. Now, shake it off and prepare for Game #3.

Does anyone think that the Broonz are coming in to the Joe confident they will take two? Nope. They know they are in a dog fight. They knew it yesterday. The Wings know it today.

Let the peacocks strut.  Drop the puck.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 04/21/14 at 12:42 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Mule might be my least favorite Wing of the last 25 years.

I was in my thinking place this morning and that exact thing came to me, too.  Over the course of this run, there hasn’t been a more disappointing Wing than Franzen. Maybe Primeau.

FYI, was DeKeyers’ nads

Fuch.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/21/14 at 12:43 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I’m with you Chief on everything but Lucic. He’s a 6’5 or whatever pansy ass punk bitch. He only does the “big man intimidating” stuff on players way smaller than him. I’d love to see him try whacking someone like Probert or McCarty in the gonads. I personally was hoping for iut yesterday, but now for game 3, I want the serial killer put in the lineup with the sole purpose of cross-checking that pansy in the mouth so hard it knocks all his teeth out. I don’t care if it makes me a bad fan to want that, it’s completely cowardly to waiting until a guy’s back is turned to you then give him a WWE style low blow. I can’t believe any of the Bruins can look at Lucic as a guy they want to go to battle with, I would be embarrassed to have him as a teammate.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/21/14 at 01:06 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Mule might be my least favorite Wing of the last 25 years.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/21/14 at 12:43 PM ET

I think a new nickname is in order.  The Enigmule perhaps?  Or just stick with Ass.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/21/14 at 01:17 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 04/21/14 at 01:17 PM ET

Yule, because he only show up once a year.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/21/14 at 01:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/21/14 at 11:53 AM ET

What does that make Legwand?  Jesus, what a waste of ice-time and a roster spot he is.

Yesterday would have been a rough go anyways, then Jimmy putting a puck off Smith and giving the B’s the quick lead made it all the worse because Boston then got confident.  I don’t know who to blame, Jimmy for playing the puck or Smith for not being there to do something with it.

It’s been said though because it’s true:  Before Game 1, would you have taken a 1-1 split coming back to Detroit?  Uh-huh, yessir.  And truth is, we’d probably take a 2-2 split going back to Boston, though 3-1 good guys would be so much nicer…

And the clock still read 15 to 12.

Posted by Primis on 04/21/14 at 01:47 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Or just stick with Ass.

Can we add a “hole” to the end of that?

Posted by dougie on 04/21/14 at 01:48 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Yule, because he only show up once a year.
Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/21/14 at 01:43 PM ET

Awesome.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/21/14 at 02:04 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Add Joe Murphy to that list Cap’n. What a wasted 1st overall pick that was.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/21/14 at 05:20 PM ET

I think they needed an embarrassment on national TV to shake them out of their torpor.

Granted, we probably should have signed Hossa instead when the cap space was there, but Franzen is mostly defined by playoff hockey.  If only it had been his nads getting dangled, we’d be seeing a different game out of him.  He has to get mad first, eyes-rolling-back-in-his-head mad, and then it all comes out.

And it needs to come out.

Posted by Chris in DC on 04/21/14 at 05:49 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I refreshed A2Y and this came up with how many comments?

Out Came The Belt
by IwoCPO on 04/21/14 at 10:56 AM ET
Comments (19)

Of course!

LGRW.

Oh damn, I blew it.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/21/14 at 06:38 PM ET

I saw Ass trying to get into the extra-curricular crap behind Rask’s net.  What a joke.  The Wings need your scoring, dummy.

Yes and so true, Boss.  The Wings PP needs to get fixed and fast.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/22/14 at 11:53 AM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

I agree with everything except Lucic. He and Marchant are little cry baby bitches. For the record “Yule” is friggin epic. LGRW.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/22/14 at 05:02 PM ET