Abel to Yzerman

Only 47 Left…Let’s Live Blog Most Of Them

Saturday night? That was the first Lang fight.  The Stallion showed a glimpse of push-back the first twenty seconds and then he was overwhelmed by the sheer, animal strength of the hungry challenger.  Don't forget. Clubber Lang lived alone, trained alone, ate alone, washed alone, raised pigeons alone and said horrible things to Adrian at an event that was supposed to be Rocky's Big Day.

And then he laid waste to Balboa.  Demoralized him.

Unlike Rocky III, perhaps the greatest true story in modern boxing history, I have little hope of a miracle.

Holy hell.  It wasn't just a "fail to compete," or a lot of lost "puck battles".  There was no competition and there was no battle.  That Blues team is really good.  And our Wings team is really, really mediocre.  Slow. We looked plodding compared to Clubber Lang.

I offer you no hope for 12. Not now.  Not after that.  Mickey's dead.  Adrian's lost faith.  All is lost.

Appollo?  We need you.  And bring that fat drunk Paulie with you.

It's a Live Blog.  With BJs.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›      Next »

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

jimmy got beat

he shoulda had that one

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/21/13 at 09:12 PM ET

Agree.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/21/13 at 09:18 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Lashoff now playing with Kronner ... Hmmmm

Posted by Brooklyn Deuce from Fauborg Marigny on 01/21/13 at 09:17 PM ET

He started the game there… wink

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 09:18 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Brunner’s got good hands, nice play

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/21/13 at 09:18 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Can anyone tell me why Howard is so good on shootouts and so bad on breakaways?

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/21/13 at 09:18 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Wow, BJs taking some serious runs at Wings last shift.

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 01/21/13 at 09:19 PM ET

dougie's avatar

In Quincey’s defense, I read on the Internet that defensemen take longer to develop than other players, and you can really judge how they will turn out until they are 37.

Posted by dougie on 01/21/13 at 09:19 PM ET

Brooklyn Deuce's avatar

Less time to think on a breakaway.

Posted by Brooklyn Deuce from Fauborg Marigny on 01/21/13 at 09:19 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Brunner - - kinda reminds me of Helm - - puck magnet, no finish

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 09:20 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

This is my read on Brunner: He is RAW, but certainly has the talent to game.

He needs a little less pressure on him, or he’s going to fail miserably.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 09:20 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Can anyone tell me why Howard is so good on shootouts and so bad on breakaways?

Well, one is sort of a glorified practice drill, and the other happens in the flow of an actual hockey game.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/21/13 at 09:21 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Brunner - - kinda reminds me of Helm - - puck magnet, no finish

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 09:20 PM ET

I’d say he’s got a way better shot than Helm

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 01/21/13 at 09:21 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

the Wings should send Quincey to spend a few months with Lance Armstrong.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/21/13 at 09:22 PM ET

Brooklyn Deuce's avatar

Time will tell with Brunner but he’s got hustle and want and he seems just a touch away. Even if he doesn’t turn into a top end finisher I’d be content to see him become another Helm.

Posted by Brooklyn Deuce from Fauborg Marigny on 01/21/13 at 09:22 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

the Wings should send Quincey to spend a few months with Lance Armstrong.

They could both be forced to eat Crow.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/21/13 at 09:23 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

hank and pav are ghosts out there so far. whats up? I love ‘em both but seriously where are they? I still think the whole team has mono.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/21/13 at 09:23 PM ET

calquake's avatar

This is my read on Brunner: He is RAW, but certainly has the talent to game.

He needs a little less pressure on him, or he’s going to fail miserably.

I’d like to see him on a line with Filpula and put Mule with Z and Dats with the instruction to plant his ass in front of the net.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 09:24 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

WTF? we are out of popcorn here!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/21/13 at 09:24 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Less time to think on a breakaway.

That’s obvious but too simplistic.  Howard is great at scrambling saves and those don’t allow time to think.

I was hoping for a more… technical breakdown?  My theory is that he plays the breakaways less aggressively.  He doesn’t come very far out of the net.  On shootouts he comes out a lot more.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/21/13 at 09:25 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

That B.J. goal was on Smith.
He just let the forward skate right past him.
It looks to me like Smith is NOT a fast skater.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 09:25 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I would like to see… Kronwall and Lashoff. Smitty and Big Rig. Fredo and that White guy. That Quab needs to.. Go hang himself.. Buy out, or even better.. Trade. And yes, Quab is a word.. Means unfinished or immature.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/21/13 at 09:26 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

SOOOOO my power just came back on and I see the Wings have finally started their season.

I gotta tell you…it’s a little freaky when the power goes out when it’s -15 outside.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/21/13 at 09:27 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And yes, Quab is a word.. Means unfinished or immature.

Oh, I thought it meant “not worth a damn”.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 09:28 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

My take on Howard so far: he is just not there yet. His timing is so off and he has some serious rust. No fluidity in his movement. Notice all goaltenders that played during the lockout. Sharp, fluid and very quick. He needs Mrazek’s mentality of “nothing gets by me easy, even in practice”, and stick with it.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/21/13 at 09:28 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

on FB:

Red Wings Feed

RT @DaveLozo: After Pierre McGuire spends the entire game praising Mike Babcock for intensely coaching Damien Brunner, Babcock says he’s left him alone.

Like · · Share · 22 minutes ago ·

LOL (DC…what a DC)

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/21/13 at 09:28 PM ET

Brooklyn Deuce's avatar

So, that’s out of my depth. My question would then be why does he stay so deep? Over thinking? Panic? Maybe he cycles through those concerns prior to a shootout attempt and just plays. On breakaways no such opportunity. Either way, I think it’s mental because he’s quite good in the shootout so he knows what to do.

Posted by Brooklyn Deuce from Fauborg Marigny on 01/21/13 at 09:29 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Did you guys know that? Our D is porous?

Well then, by all means… porous another drink.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 08:39 PM ET

Saw. What you did.

Well, 40 minutes in, and we can at least get rid of that god-awful fear that tonight was going to be the second act of that freak show in Missouri. Granted, it’s only a BJ, but, still, you can measure some things by a BJ.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/21/13 at 09:29 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

That B.J. goal was on Smith.
He just let the forward skate right past him.
It looks to me like Smith is NOT a fast skater.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 09:25 PM ET

Negative, Ghostrider.

Quincey gave up on the pursuit and “crossed up” Smith, who was behind in the chase because he figured Quincey had his man.

The only thing Quincey looks good at is covering his own ass.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 09:24 PM ET

I’d like to see this:

Franzen-Zetterman-Brunner
Filppula-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi/Cleary/whoever

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 09:29 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Lashoff was the Dman defending that 5 on 3, with Z and Datsyuk.

That would NOT happen if Babcock didn’t really like him.

Lashoff uses his size around the net to block bodies and knock people down.

Mark this:
Babcock will NOT send him back to Grand Rapids.

Kindl is toast.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 09:30 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

That B.J. goal was on Smith.
He just let the forward skate right past him.
It looks to me like Smith is NOT a fast skater.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 09:25 PM ET

I thought Smith was trying to catch-up AFTER Q matador-ed on the BJ.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 09:31 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Lashoff was the Dman defending that 5 on 3, with Z and Datsyuk.

That would NOT happen if Babcock didn’t really like him.

Lashoff uses his size around the net to block bodies and knock people down.

Mark this:
Babcock will NOT send him back to Grand Rapids.

Kindl is toast.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 09:30 PM ET

Ugh, quit making me disagree with you

Unfortunately, Lashoff will be sent back down, and will stay there until injuries force another call-up.

Next season, though, is a different story.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 09:32 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Redmenace:

Look at it again.
You are wrong.
That was NOT Quincey’s fault.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 09:33 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I can’t think of a reason to keep Quincey and not Lashoff.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/21/13 at 09:33 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Kindl is toast.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 09:30 PM ET

Better be Q that is the odd man out.  He has been horrid.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 09:33 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/21/13 at 09:27 PM ET

build a fire with the kitchen furniture, jeff.

it’s only minus-9 here ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/21/13 at 09:33 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I can’t think of a reason to keep Quincey and not Lashoff.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/21/13 at 09:33 PM ET

Every team needs a whipping boy?

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 09:33 PM ET

Brooklyn Deuce's avatar

If Lashoff stays and plays then it really is a new day for the Wings as that sure didn’t happen before as prospects languished in GR.

Or maybe the D is that bad.

Posted by Brooklyn Deuce from Fauborg Marigny on 01/21/13 at 09:34 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/21/13 at 09:27 PM ET

Glad to hear your power came back on with it being so cold. (Brrrrrrrrrr….....)

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/21/13 at 09:35 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Z-Pav-Brunner are playing well as a line.  The goals will start coming.  They’ve had a lot of good chances, so I am loathe to break them up yet.  While we’re archair coaching, however, what I would like to see is…

Filpppula-Franzen-Samuelsson.  I still think Franzen plays more engaged as a center and that Flipper is better as a winger.  Switch their positions and you get the best of both players?  Then again; if the added responsibility would sap Mule’s energy then no-go.  He’s looking kinda good tonight as is (and I’d be even happier if it was Nyquist instead of Samuelsson- even though I have always liked him quite a bit more than the average person here does).

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/21/13 at 09:36 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Redmenace:

Look at it again.
You are wrong.
That was NOT Quincey’s fault.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 09:33 PM ET

Oh, I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying I disagree with you. wink

I really think Quincey played that very poorly, and Smith expected him to do something else.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 09:36 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

well you gotta get Q out of the lineup period. Sh*tty play breeds sh*tty play. Eliminate the contaminate and move ahead.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/21/13 at 09:36 PM ET