Abel to Yzerman

One Of The Detroit Goalies Will Be Gone By Next Season

via NBC Sports,

The Red Wings may have trouble dealing either Jimmy Howard or Petr Mrazek by the deadline, but Bob McKenzie believes one them will be gone by next season.

watch the 1:21 segment at NBC Sports...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

So what we already knew. Interesting that McKenzie is also reporting that the Wings are willing to move Howard and don’t feel like they have to keep him around. That makes several sources now reporting it. I have to admit I was totally wrong on this. I thought the Wings saw Howard as a Red Winger For Life.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 02/07/18 at 10:02 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

And it will probably be the one Holland has to put no effort into getting rid of, as is his way.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 02/08/18 at 07:53 AM ET

Primis's avatar

As this has dragged on, I’m absolutely not convinced we won’t see both Howard and Mrazek in DET next season.

I would be completely *floored* if either of them are moved by the deadline, because it would make sense.  And I would be quite surprised if either are moved by the draft.

Posted by Primis on 02/08/18 at 07:57 AM ET

The obvious choice is to keep Mrazek. But,, that would make too much sense.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/08/18 at 08:27 AM ET

I still think moving Mrazek for a meaningless third round pick would be a mistake. It’s like 10% chance we will draft a future NHL player with that pick, maybe a bottom 6 forward.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/08/18 at 08:30 AM ET

The obvious choice is to keep Mrazek.

Obvious because it’s obvious to rebuild with an unproven goalie? One who, in four seasons, hasn’t been able to string together more than a week or so of consistent good play?

I’d love to know how that’s obvious.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/08/18 at 08:38 AM ET

CDMD, Howard is not a consistent goalie either. Neither one is. Look at Howard’s entire season game log for this season, for example. There is nothing consistent about his play. He’s had some good stretches but also some awful stretches. This has been the case I would say since 13-14. The only season it wasn’t was last season, when he played 26 games. The fact is, neither of these goalies has proven himself to be consistent (Howard was 5-6 years ago,  not since). So for many people, it makes more sense to keep the young inconsistent goalie who has shown abilities which could develop into a consistently strong NHL goalie, instead of the old inconsistent goalie who pretty much is what he is at this point.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 02/08/18 at 09:05 AM ET

Anyone notice how the market for d-men is getting flooded…McDonough, Hjalmarsson, Gudbranson, Ceci, Phaneuf, Hutton, Tanev, maybe even Karlsson. So Green is not your only option. He may be further down on the list.

The other dynamic is you have forwards like Kane, Nash, Grabner, Maroon…and everyone is asking for a #1 pick. So as a GM who may like to add a forward AND a d-man you have a dilemma. If I spend my #1 on green then I’m out on all these forwards. I’d rather spend my #1 on Nash and then add some depth d-man like Ouellet for peanuts.

Posted by fatsavage on 02/08/18 at 09:18 AM ET

Posted by Ilovekermit on 02/08/18 at 09:05 AM ET

This.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/08/18 at 09:19 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Ilovekermit on 02/08/18 at 09:05 AM ET

Is my face melting? Because Kermit dropped a truthbomb on me.

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/08/18 at 09:23 AM ET

Howard is not a consistent goalie either

I actually find Howard to be a pretty consistent average (maybe slightly above average) goalie who had a career year for most of this season, but I do not see it as a trend. With age and injury history, I see him regressing in the near future. Mrazek’s recent hot stretch also does not prove anything except there is at least a hope that he will become a consistent #1 goalie one day, maybe even next season.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/08/18 at 10:46 AM ET

Don’t worry guys. Kenny is going to move the goalie that fetches the most. So if NYI offers a 6th rounder for Howard and a 5th rounder for Mrazek…well buh bye Mrazek. Then cue the media stories about how inconsistent he was, how he had so many chances to be the #1, he was a cancer. Solid asset management. You are at least 3-4 years away from competing for a playoff spot, so let’s keep the 34-year old chronically injured goalie over a 25-year old that still may improve.

Simple question. Which goalie is more likely to win a playoff series for the Wings moving forward. Howard’s chances are 0%. Mrazek’s chances are greater than 0%. But yeah, Kenny is involved. So expected the most illogical decision.

Posted by fatsavage on 02/08/18 at 11:25 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I have a sneaky suspicion that neither gets dealt, and Mrazek doesn’t get qualified.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 02/08/18 at 11:44 AM ET

But yeah, Kenny is involved

The most important dynamics here is what KH will be allowed and not allowed to do without knowing his future as a GM for the Red Wings. Does he still have full control?

Posted by VPalmer on 02/08/18 at 12:06 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/08/18 at 11:44 AM ET

Agreed, but largely bkz this is the path of least resistance for KH. He has to do literally nothing for that to happen.

Posted by Steeb on 02/08/18 at 12:40 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 02/08/18 at 12:06 PM ET

Curious about that myself. I mean, I imagine he technically has full GM control right up to the last day of his contract, but I’m sure the team will have some kind of transitional control, too. And that’s if Chris I feels like doing the legwork to find a new guy.

Posted by Steeb on 02/08/18 at 12:42 PM ET

And that’s if Chris I feels like doing the legwork to find a new guy.

Or if he feels like doing something Red Wings related period.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/08/18 at 12:47 PM ET

Posted by Ilovekermit on 02/08/18 at 09:05 AM ET
This.
Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/08/18 at 09:19 AM ET

Is my face melting? Because Kermit dropped a truthbomb on me.
Posted by ilovehomers on 02/08/18 at 09:23 AM ET

If we are going to defend a position based on consistency it would be proper to define what consistency is first and then make points. Kermit makes good point, but never defined consistency. Neither did CharDy.

So, let’s start with what consistency looks like and then make points.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/08/18 at 12:47 PM ET

I’m pretty certain Kenny has been given some paramaters of what he can and can’t do. Technically the owner still has final say on all matters. So if he comes into the office and says to Illitch that he’s negotiated Zetterberg for a 4th rounder, Illitch can nix the deal.

Like last year, he’s likely been told to move out any UFAs. And then likely asked to explore other moves to shed salary…Howard, Mrazek, Nyquist, Helm, whatever he thinks.

While I believe Kenny is a complete moron, he’s probably smart enough to realize that if he wants a future job offer, whether from Detroit or another organization, it’s in his best interest to have a successful trade deadline/draft. Making more stupid decisions doesn’t look good on his resume.

Posted by fatsavage on 02/08/18 at 12:48 PM ET

A few weeks ago you made this point. I went through each of those players explaining why Green is not directly comparable. Most of all, a lot of those guys are lefties and other are just shut down guys. sigh. I guess you miss out on somethings when you live in a “safe space.”

Howard’s chances are 0%. Mrazek’s chances are greater than 0%

based on what? how many actual playoff series each goalie has actually won at the NHL level? Again, folks, define your parameters or base them on what someone has said and make your points. FS clearly never does this. He must live in a vacuum.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/08/18 at 12:51 PM ET

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/08/18 at 11:44 AM ET

that would be a total failure.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/08/18 at 12:52 PM ET