Abel to Yzerman

Oh…So It’s Homer Who’s Making The Decision?

I don’t know about you, but I get the feeling that if it was purely up to Tomas Holmstrom? He’d have already announced he’s coming back.  But I’m no pharmacist.  Brendan Savage from MLive? He’s smarter and he’s much quicker to lap up whatever the Wings are spooning him.

“I haven’t talked to Tomas much,” general manager Ken Holland said. “We had talked about him taking all of June and July to see what he wants to do. I talked to him briefly in July. He’s going to take the summer, obviously.

“If he decides to play – we’ve signed (Jordin) Tootoo and (Mikael) Samuelsson and (Damien) Brunner and (Gustav) Nyquist – we have to have a discussion between Homer and I and probably Mike Babcock to see where he fits in.”

Lies.  Holland hasn’t talked to Homer “much”? Liar.

You know he has.  He has and he’s waiting like the rest of us.  If the Wings don’t sign a scoring power forward (Doan), or trade for one (Ryan)? Homer’s got a likely spot.  But they’ve, in my opinion, told him to hold his horses and see what the future holds, the immediate future.  And if not that, then Holland doesn’t want to re-sign him until the CBA mess is cleaned up.

Either way, this isn’t a case of Holmstrom dragging his big Hall of Fame feet and ass (Yep, I went there…HOF).  No way he would have waited this long to just decide whether to play or not.

It’s Holland holding it up. The question that remains is why he is.  This isn’t a slam at Holland. God forbid I throw a dart at Kenny, right HockeyinHD?  It’s just a statement of perceived fact on my part.  Tick Tock still has irons in the fire and Homer’s a backup if the Summer of Suck continues, not a primary consideration.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

IIRC, Homer made it clear that it was the Wings or retirement. Making that kind of statement gave all the power to Kenny. I am certain Homer wants to play another season and has informed Kenny of this. Why the certainty? Because August 10th is well past the date Homer would have had to start off season training.  If he had chosen retirement, that decision would have needed to be made weeks ago, and he would have announced it by now.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 08/10/12 at 03:20 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Homer.

The only time thinking about another man’s ass puts a big smile on my face.

Shut up.

Posted by dougie on 08/10/12 at 03:56 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I read between the lines from all Kenny has said is that Homer is not being invited or encouraged to come back.

“We’ve got A, B, C, and D, so if Homer decides to come back we’ve got to see where he fits in.”

My translation, “We have no room for a slow skating Power Play specialist on a Power Play that converts 18%.”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/10/12 at 04:01 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Yep. There’s just no room for him even though he would help the pp. We’ve already got 2-3 (?) forwards in the press box right now.

It is interesting abdelkader isn’t signed yet though. He wants helm money most likely, which he doesn’t deserve. And never mind the innudendo, I think abdelkader sucks.

*Thread hijacked*

Posted by Keyser S. on 08/10/12 at 05:22 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Uncle Mikey no likey Homer any more. He is an ASSet on the PP. Uncle Mike needs to reASSess his plan, because, his plan hasn’t panned for quite a while now.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/10/12 at 06:37 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Sigh…torn about Homer.

Net-front and along the half-boards/behind the net he’s money…

The rest of the ice?

And about the net-front presence…can any other D-man shoot purposely wide yet tippable shots (besides the one that just retired) ?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/10/12 at 07:00 PM ET

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/10/12 at 05:00 PM ET

Well, we have Sammy…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/10/12 at 07:14 PM ET

Well why worry about a power forward or a natural scorer if we can bring back Holmstrom?

Consider all my fears allayed.

Posted by Garth on 08/10/12 at 07:25 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

NNailed it RWBill… he works best in the Ozone and hes got to play top minutes to be effective but he cant keep up the pace.  Love Homer thouugh.. angry chipmunk gets his teammates fiired up on flat nights

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/10/12 at 07:28 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Consider all my fears allayed.

Posted by Garth on 08/10/12 at 05:25 PM ET

Yeah, Garth. That’s what I meant.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 08/10/12 at 07:45 PM ET

I don’t mind if you throw darts at Holland, Chief.  I just think it’s pretty silly to do it and then call people who go so far as to engage in the near-murderous act of booing Fedorov ‘dicks’ and ‘losers’.

That aside, I think this Homer situation is playing out pretty much exactly like the Draper situation played out, so I have to admit I’m a little surprised people haven’t figured out the notes.

If there’s going to be an open roster spot, Homer can come back.  If there isn’t, since it’s unlikely he’d be able to beat out anyone for one, he won’t be.

Right now Detroit has their full 23, so unless there’s a many-for-few trade coming up, Homer’s done.  Which is also why this situation is going to drag out until either the start of the season or the point at which every single trade possibility has evaporated prior to the start of the season.

Homer pretty clearly wants to play, but he’s a classy guy and the Wings are a classy organization, so rather than Holland coming out and saying something like ‘Well, we’d really rather get somebody else, but if everything falls through we’ll bring Homer back’ and making both he and Homer look like tools, Holland just blows it off like a peripheral issue of little consequence.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/10/12 at 09:23 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well here’s one other thing, they may send 4 x 4th line forwards somewhere for a defenseman, leaving a spot for Holmstrom on .. what the 4th line?  He can’t skate to the level envisioned by Babcock, and most teams, for the top 3 lines.

Nor the fourth line either, that line is hoped to be fast and physical, I guess he can meet one of those two characteristics.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/10/12 at 09:34 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

And this, I’m still up for buying a Sailor and his wife and any other of The 19 a drink or three at the Green Flash Brewery in San Diego this coming Saturday at about 4 oclock until closing.

I’ll wear this shirt or some other Michigan-themed Tee.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/10/12 at 09:38 PM ET

Well, considering that’s where he played 60+% of his ES time last year, yes.  At this point all Homer is is a 6-8 ES minute, 3 PP minute dude.  That has utility in a situation where there aren’t any other options, because he’s at least a positive on the PP, but if we’re talking about having to waive a guy to keep him, not so much.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/10/12 at 10:47 PM ET

Well apparently you must have readers, but based on comments no one understands the game. I find your blog just awful.
I’m a die hard Wings fan but your writing style sucks. You’re not witty or clever.
Just write!

Posted by Snapper on 08/11/12 at 12:06 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Hahaha. You suck, Chief!

You should try writing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/11/12 at 12:36 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I find your blog just awful.

And that makes us all so very, very happy. All 19 of us.

Posted by dougie on 08/11/12 at 12:57 AM ET

Pugna Vox's avatar

I’m a die hard Wings fan but your writing style sucks

Obviously, you’re no fan of insouciant hubris nor redolent swagger and therefore your status as a Wings fan is, at best, suspect.

Posted by Pugna Vox from Idiot Out Wandering Around on 08/11/12 at 01:08 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Take it easy on Savage, Chief.  I wouldn’t put him in the company of the other Diggers.  He spent years as a beat writer for the Flint Generals pissing off league officials by continually hammering them to tell the truth about many of the shenanigans that went down before that league’s inevitable demise.  He also exposed a lot of the dark side of Flint Generals hockey and the shenanigans there with the team.  He did enough that certain fanbases in certain other cities hated his guts and regularly threatened him.

Holland is holding tons of things up, Chief.  Not just Homer.  I think he knows there’s going to be a stoppage, and he figures he’ll sort things out afterwards.

Whether that’s the right or wrong way, I dunno’.  Sure seems to be his plan thus far though.  And it’s not just Holland, some other GM’s have been unusually-quiet.

Posted by Primis on 08/11/12 at 02:12 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I really wish Homer had just decided to retire when Nick did. There’s no way he has a spot this season.  And, as mrfluffy said, nobody else on the team can shoot those perfectly placed pucks designed to be just wide enough of the net for Homer to tip in.  But I get Homer’s desire to keep playing until somebody tells him it’s over.  I think we all know it’s over.  Homer has said he can’t keep up to speed playing 4th line minutes and Uncle Mike said he wouldn’t get any more than 4th line minutes, so…

Thanks, Chief for saying “HOF” in connection with Homer’s name.  Others may disagree, but he’ll always be a Hall of Famer in my heart.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 08/11/12 at 09:38 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

I’ll wear this shirt or some other Michigan-themed Tee.

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 08/10/12 at 07:38 PM ET

I went to the Tigers game on Friday August 3rd. On the walk back to our hotels after the game, my group ran into a guy selling tees that reminded me of you.

On the front: “DETROIT *#$%@&’ MICHIGAN”

On the back: “If you don’t bleed navy and orange, then get your bitch ass home”

Shirts with attitude. smile

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 08/11/12 at 12:19 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Just write!

Posted by Snapper on 08/10/12 at 10:06 PM ET

Chief, you’ve got to tell your wife to quit trolling your blog. cheese

Posted by calquake on 08/11/12 at 01:30 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

this ...

Thanks, Gary.Ass.

L.G.R.W.

no. 12 in ‘13

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/11/12 at 03:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Shirts with attitude.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 08/11/12 at 10:19 AM ET

lol

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/11/12 at 03:45 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I think I’m done if there’s another lockout.  It’s just not worth it.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 08/16/12 at 10:00 AM ET