Abel to Yzerman

Oh Gus? Hurry Back

Well, so much for that "deadline acquisition", eh Kenny?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

ChowYunCat's avatar

Posted by ChowYunCat on 03/18/13 at 02:48 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Who needs him, I like our team.  Besides, when we do get him back, or Sammy, or Bert, or now Quincey, or Colaiacovo, it’ll be like picking up a player at the deadline.  Maybe not a good player or impact player, but technically, they’re players.  And we’ll be getting ones we didn’t have before, so that means we’re “deeper” which means we’re “better”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/18/13 at 02:52 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

LOL

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/18/13 at 02:59 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Anyone else think they call up a different guy this time? Maybe Sheahan or Ferraro?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/18/13 at 03:03 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

They’ll probably sign a “veteran” AHLer, a la Huskins.  We wont find out who they are until the day of the MIN game.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/18/13 at 03:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Maybe the Wings didn’t want Gus at the day after St.Patrick’s Day event tonight.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/18/13 at 03:04 PM ET

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/18/13 at 03:52 PM ET

Don’t forget that each and every AHL call up is also like making a deadline deal too.

Posted by Garth on 03/18/13 at 03:09 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I can’t wait to read the comments when and if the Wings truly suck.  As in missing the playoffs multiple years or drafting 1st rounders who never make it to the “show”.  You all have a right to complain, hell I do it too, but I’m just glad none of us run the Wings.

Posted by calquake on 03/18/13 at 03:30 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

calquake: ” I’m just glad none of us run the Wings” - AMEN.

Posted by alukacs on 03/18/13 at 03:41 PM ET

perfection's avatar

double AMEN!!!!!

emotional venting at it’s finest around here - long-term calculated hockey business sense… not so much

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/18/13 at 03:42 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Has anyone else ever wondered what it would be like if Darren Helm was your dentist?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 03/18/13 at 03:52 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/18/13 at 04:42 PM

To be fair, none of the 19, the Chief in particular, have ever been accused of being rational or calculating.  Still, the repeated “off with their heads” mentality brought here on a daily basis by the same posters gets a bit depressing after a while.

Posted by calquake on 03/18/13 at 03:55 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by calquake on 03/18/13 at 04:55 PM ET

I suggest you do NOT go over to HFBoards then; that place is ridiculous with the negativity.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/18/13 at 03:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from aboard the Crazy Train on 03/18/13 at 04:57 PM ET

Exactly why I quit going there a while ago.

Posted by calquake on 03/18/13 at 03:59 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I totally get this and am honestly not trying to demand rationality here. I guess it’s just the instant gratification demanding Fandom mentality is a lot more fun when we’re winning and dominant. The negativity this season has been particularly depressing to me because, other than the injuries, I don’t really get how this dropoff wasn’t totally expected… especially after we didn’t land Suter and Parise. In fact as I’ve been saying all season, when you take the injuries into account, we are actually doing better than I would have guessed. We’re right in the hunt, just about even with every playoff caliber team besides Chicago and Anaheim (two teans we’ve actually made look very beatable head to head). Yet people are honestly suggesting firing Babs. He’s been in the top five of most outsider/analysts coach of the year predictions that I’ve seen throughout most of this season precisely because of what the team is accomplishing with it’s roster and injury limitations.

The other thing I don’t get about the negativity… if the Wings are really as bad as people are saying, with as bad of coaching, and as small of a chance of doing any damage in the playoffs, do people here really think we’re one player away from all of that changing? And if not, do you honestly want Kenny to deal guys like Sheahan, Tatar, Jurco, Nyquist, etc. for rental players at the deadline? In a season we probably won’t win the cup in even with the new acquisition? What’s the point? Especially when there’s so many buyers and so few sellers. Why do you want to make inflated trades that hurt us in the longrun for returns that help us little in the immediate? Sure, if we can land a top 2 dman with a longterm contract, it’s worth losing someone we value. But that’s just not likely to happen at a trade deadline. Maybe in the offseason when EVERYONE are buyers and sellers. I hope Kenny doesn’t do anything big at the deadline. People around here talk like that’d be a deficiency. What would be a deficiency is selling the farm in a season we don’t have all that much of a shot. If anything, I’d rather see Kenny trade away some of our expiring contracts for draft picks or prospects rather than overpay for the rental of faux-stars for no real reason.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/18/13 at 04:55 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/18/13 at 05:55 PM ET

I hope Holland does three things:
1. Does NOT sign Filpulla for a penny over 4.
2. Trades Filpulla for anything. Losing another FA for nothing just doesn’t cut it.
3. Does something this offseason to bolster this team and spend to the cap ferfeckssake!. And I’m talkin top 4 Dman and a power forward of two.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/18/13 at 05:24 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I just don’t get how being disgruntled for losing 6 time Stanley Cup finalist Brian Rafalski, Legendary Nick Lidstrom, Brad “Disco” Stuart with only an attempt to replace 1 top pair Dman we HOPED to get.  All the eggs in one basket for Mr. Conservative Holland.  Doesn’t get him.

So we’ve lost all that and replaced it with Colaiacovo and Quincey.  But I guess still no reason to be disgruntled in the team I spend so much money on.

Next.

We’ve added what top 6 FA’s?  If we aren’t drafting them why aren’t we more aggressive in FA?  If we’re drafting top 6 material, then why aren’t we using THEM instead of going out and signing Sammy’s Cleary’s and Bertuzzi’s to multi year deals with NTC’s? Took a chance on Brunner but wont on Gus?

But people who expect a GM to actively try to make his team better are being unreasonable.  Got it.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/18/13 at 06:15 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Sorry but I will take Holland over you any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Just a fact, not a slight at you personally.

Posted by calquake on 03/18/13 at 06:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

There’s your problem, don’t compare them to me.

And I’d take him over you.  Had no relevance. No slight against your personality either, just isn’t relevant.

I’m not saying making moves garauntees success, but I think not making moves, at this point, garauntees we don’t.  Whether or not we move minor leaguers up or what, I don’t care.  And I haven’t been on the Bag Babcock Bandwagon but I do feel I hear the same shit, everyday, same results, everyday, three years, everyday for three years.

But I’m unreasonable.

It makes no sense to me.

If you think a top 6 of Pav Z Franzen Bert and Sammy will take you to the SC.. shit.. even the conference finals.. I think you’re on crack.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/18/13 at 07:43 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/18/13 at 08:43 PM ET

It’s very easy to sit back and armchair GM.  You’re frustrated, I got it.  And wow, three whole years of mediocrity in your eyes, time to fire people and make changes.  It’s not that simple.  There are all different kinds of factors involved from finding trading partners to dealing with the cap to attempting to lure FA’s here, just to name a few.  If you earnestly feel you can do a better job then ask Mr. Illitch for an interview and dazzle him with your brilliance.  I complain too but I don’t make it a daily ritual as some do.  Do you have any joy when watching the Wings?  You would have committed suicide during the “Dead Things” times.  Try appreciating what you do have and be grateful.  Wonder at Pav’s magic and Zata’s determination.  This time is a dark cloud not the pits of hell.

Posted by calquake on 03/18/13 at 08:21 PM ET

Posted by calquake on 03/18/13 at 09:21 PM ET

Being condescending is fun, huh?

Posted by Garth on 03/18/13 at 08:59 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Being condescending is fun, huh?

Posted by Garth on 03/18/13 at 09:59 PM ET

Look who’s talking.

Posted by calquake on 03/18/13 at 09:45 PM ET

Look who’s talking.

Yeah, and I said it’s fun, huh?

Posted by Garth on 03/19/13 at 01:37 PM ET