Abel to Yzerman

Now It’s On

So, how’s this?

PG Marsh ‏@wizofozblog

There’s too much fear about heading into the season with Kronwall and White as our top two. WAKE UP, they’d both be top 2 on half the league

Is he far from the truth? Not only that, but Smith might fall into that category by next season’s end, too.

You wanna be sad and moan about this? Go ahead.  I’m shocked and disgusted about the decision made by the Ingalls sisters. But throwing in the towel is pathetic.

I’ve shifted a bit on our defense, meaning I’m not fetal as I was 24 hours ago or whenever it was Half-Pint and Mary decided to move to Walnut Grove.  But I’m also realistic enough to know that if we don’t sign another top 4 defenseman, our potential goals against is going to be a problem.

Unless our forecheck is so ferocious across four lines and the Wings become so much more abrasive, that that kind of aggression masks a weakness on the blue line.

Shane Doan. Jordin Tootoo.  Darren Helm. Cleary, Miller, Eaves, Sammy.

Spread them out across three lines and start laying the wood to people.  Change the game. Change the scheme.

If only we had a coach with a proven track record, capable of molding different types of teams based on available talent.

Oh. We do. I forgot. And he’s the best coach in the league. So good that he’s willing to swallow some pride and bring back Barry Smith. Find him. Hire him.  Bring him home.

Now do this: get us Doan but bring us Nash. And you do it with almost any asset available.  If that includes the bangers above, do it.  If that means Franzen or Fil, do it.  Some would even say, in quiet moments, that might include Zetterberg.

Or Howard.

Do it.  If Rick Nash can score 40 with Columbus, he can definitely do it in Hockeytown. And you can get him without giving up the entire team. Don’t think for a second that if Holland offered Fil, Nyquist and some pics that Howson wouldn’t consider it. Because he would.

Resist it. I get it.  Hold out for Weber next year.  Really?  Like we held out for Suter. That turned out well. And I’ll tell you this, getting Suter this year was a helluva better guarantee than getting Weber next summer.  Flying post-game elbows and all.

This is not the time to “re-load the Wing way”. It’s not. It’s time to be aggressive and daring.  It’s a time for risk because the league is wide open across the board. There is no favorite.  None.  Heck, we could win it all with the team we have right now.  Is it likely?  No. But on paper it’s better than the Kings.

Scoring the golden children of the Minnesota plains would have been easy and obvious work for our Tick Tock.  It didn’t happen and I’m done crying about it.  I’m not pissed at Kenny because he found himself in a battle he couldn’t win.  The draw of the quiet prairie was just too strong. Family reunions, with t-shirts and everything, was too much to pass up.

The MSM is rejoicing Kenny.  They say you’re done.  The Wings are finally on the verge of mediocrity.  So, screw it. Quit. Retire. Hand the reigns over to Nill or the Cap Kid.  Hell, call Stevie and tell him the job is his if he wants it.

Or don’t.  How about viewing this as your greatest challenge?

We’re the fuching Detroit By God Red Wings, Kenny.  Back on the horse, big boy.  Be creative. Be risky. Hell, throw an offer sheet at Weber just to wreck Poile once and for good, just to send little Josh Cooper into the worst kind of sobbing tantrum.

Bring us the big kid from Columbus and the mean prick from Phoenix.  We need ‘em both.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Nothing’s better than sour grape Red Wing fans. Keep it up boys, you’re making the fans in Pittsburgh look sane in comparison. Go Pens.

Posted by phil on 07/05/12 at 02:25 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I really have to agree that the defense isn’t as effed as many people are thinking.  Life without Lidstrom will be tough, but growth comes through adversity.  We’ll have plenty of both this season and kids will be alright.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/05/12 at 02:25 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I don’t think everything is all gloom and doom as others are writing.  As I have always been on the Nash train, I still like the idea of getting him on the team.  We will be o.k.  I think that it was a big overpayment for Suter and Parise and the terms of those contracts could really hamstring the Wild at some point.

It’s still a good day.

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 07/05/12 at 02:28 PM ET

FIrst off, stick all that pro-Nash trade talk and a bag, fill the bag with quikcrete, put it in a car, push the car into a railcar, fill the railcar with quikcrete, load the railcar on a barge, have the barge drive over the Mariana Trench, and sink the barge with a torpedo.

Then post a cordon of frigates around the float area and kill anyone who sails within three miles.  Forever.  That’s your job now, Chief.  Sorry.

The plan I would suggest is a 18-20 minute PKing dman at least, and maybe an offensive-ish guy back there as well.  Leave the forwards alone.

Here’s a name I’m just going to float out there as a Cleary-esque addition: Cam Barker.  He’s 26, a former third overall selection, and he has flamed out noisily.

As far as ‘defense’ in general goes, Detroit will likely shave Hudler and Homer off the roster, and replace them with Sammy and Tootoo.  That’s a huge defensive upgrade right there, and not because either Sammy or Tootoo is much better than average defensively.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/05/12 at 02:35 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I agree to some extent, but settling for a top pair that would be OK for 1/2 the league isn’t exactly 100% comforting. There’s some time and $ to play with & the cupboard is over stocked in some positions. We’ve been loyal to a fault as a team.
This may very well be the winds of change we’ve needed for a couple of years to kick the complacent attitude to the curb and move on.
I’d be ok with Doan. I’d be more than fine with Nash depending on how much of the farm it would take to get him.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/05/12 at 02:35 PM ET

Filppula had more points than Nash last year. Howson is asking a King’s Ransom for Nash, it is entirely realistic. Also, chill the *#$%@& out.

My captcha is Soviet26, which clearly means Semin will sign with us and wear #26.

Posted by dave on 07/05/12 at 02:35 PM ET

DOAN! Since it came out he was going to test the waters, I wanted him in the Winged Wheel. Plays with a hard-edge but can also pot the puck. Would be a great leader too.

Do we really have no interest in Semin? He just might be worth a flier at this point.

Posted by A II R from Los Angeles on 07/05/12 at 02:36 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

The defense will be mediocre, at least as to what we are accustomed to seeing.  And the problem won’t be the “D” per se, it’ll be getting the puck out and into transition - that’ll be the problem.

Chief is right, and it has been mentioned here and there the past couple days.  DET are going to have to change their game.

DET cannot play the puck possession game that they have enjoyed for so long, because the “D” corp isn’t nearly as well suited (25 mins/G with #5 spoils you).  Scotty Bowman said of #5 that what set him apart aside from his positioning, was that he ALWAYS had the puck onto his teammates stick and going the other way - - no more, and no replacement either.

DET are going to have to change their game - and it appears Tick Tock knew that and planned for it, hence getting William Tell (size) and Tootoo (grit).

Doan is a good fit.  Nash is big and obviously can score (but I put that as doubtful, but I’d trade away Moose for him).  Hell I’d sign Semin if he is willing to come down off his too high salary; he has good size and is a righty.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/05/12 at 02:36 PM ET

Exactly my damn attitude as well, Master Chief.  Wings have not found Blashill’s replacement and it is my hope that they find the guy who will run our special teams with some g-ddamn authority.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/05/12 at 02:43 PM ET

Cal's avatar

50 plus shots per game.  Plus the dozen or so “wides” by Sammy. Old-time WHA hockey.

Like the idea of the relentless forecheck.  Didn’t work too well for LA., did it.  Talent wise in our current state we match up with that team favorably.  And they are babysitting our Cup.

Hope springs eternal.  Go, Wings!

Posted by Cal on 07/05/12 at 02:48 PM ET

Posted by phil on 07/05/12 at 12:25 PM ET

I’m embarrassed for you.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/05/12 at 02:56 PM ET

Denver Wings's avatar

Thanks for this moment of sanity and reason, Chief, in our recent ocean of fetality, redolence, and estrogen-fueled weeping.  Refreshing.

If we can step into the way-back machine for a quick sec, all the way back to April through June, 2012, we will note that a number 8 seed - a NUMBER EIGHT FRICKING SEED that was out of the playoffs a few games before the end of the year proceeded to tear through the top three seeds in the West like a buzz-saw before dispatching Martin et Zack et al in about three games to win the Chalice (or was it four games - who gives a fuch!!!!).  Yeah, you had your Doughty’s and Carters and other golden boys, but in large part this year’s champ was a lunch-bucket squad that got it done with grit, guts, intestinal fortitude, etc.  Certainly, from a talent perspective, I think it’s hard to say this year’s Kings were head-and-shoulders above the Wings’ roster as it stands today.

In other words, this ain’t the NHL of yore.  The days of Wings squads purchased on the open market, with 18 HOF-er’s and whatnot, are gone.  The days of July 1 shopping sprees for free agent gold?  Buh-bye.  Cry your tears and dry your eyes.

Is this to say there might not be room for improvement via trade or even the occasional free agent signing?  Of course not.  Hey, if we can land a Nash or a Ryan or a Yandle without blowing up the store or giving away the farm or whatever, then great.  But remember that most of the cast that brought us 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008, were Wings draftees who came up through the ranks and earned their stripes the hard way.  For every Shanahan, there was a Captain and a Fedorov, for every Vernon or Hasek there was an Osgood, for every drunken Murph or insane Cheli there was TPH and a Vladdie (shit, even a Fisch).  Now we have a Z, a Pav, a Howie, a Kronner, a Helmer, etc., with a Smith, a Nyquist, a Tatar, a Jarnkok, a Pulkinen, a Jurco, a Sheahan, all waiting in the wings for their time.

Are there going to be growing pains?  Disappointments?  Tragic exits?  Of course.  Who remembers Goose Loonies?  San Jose in 7?  Fricking T-O in 7?  Denver in ‘96?  All necessary episodes on the road to The Dynasty (which may have been the last one in NHL history thanks to Gary. Ass. and his ilk).  So here we go again, with a new cast of characters.  I think there’s enough sand in the room - Z, Pav, Kronwall, Cleary, even Bert, I’m looking at all of you - to put the kids on track and lead us back to the Promised Land.

I doubt Ryan fricking Suter or Zach Parise would have had much to say about any of that.  Not in 2012-13, and sure and hell not in 2020-21.  So let’s all calm down and remember how awesome next year will be (assuming there is a next year, of course), and how fortunate we all are to swear allegiance to The Greatest Franchise in The History of Professional Sport.

LGRW

Posted by Denver Wings on 07/05/12 at 02:56 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

I’ll take the bait and be that guy since I’m still crabby as hell (despite having laughed my ass off a few times on twitter with the Chief himself today) and neither White nor Kronwall have spent more than 10% of their collective NHL career’s assigned to the top pairing of the teams the have played for.

Of course I went through the list of teams, the Oil and Caps appear to have worse first pairing situations (though Harmlik should settle into a better setup in Wash) on paper upon first glance.

Even Columbus and the Isles have stronger first paring draws on paper right now.

As with all of my negativity regarding the way this franchise has been run since 7/31/08, I want nothing more than to eat the corns from my own stools by the time every June rolls around.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/05/12 at 03:02 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I still think Semin is worth looking at. Some think he’s a train, and I don’t. Our work ethic is the best in the league. It rubs off, he will get excited to play and be hungry to play every night with Datsyuk. Who wouldnt? That guy brings out something in everyone, and sliding by wouldn’t be exposed rather quickly playing beside Datsyuk.

Also would like for us to still go after Yandle, but whats it gonna take? We should give this one serious consideration. Team could be alot stronger for it if we do.

And I’ve said all along this summer we have the talent and speed for a rolling forecheck. 2 in and 3 up will work fantastically. You wont be caught with your pants down because you are halfway there at all times not being exposed. Shake things up, puck posession is all well and good but with our speed we can use other ways of attacking. I don’t care if a half ice trap seems or sounds boring, its effective. You dont let em play in your end, you pepper the net and good things happen.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/05/12 at 03:07 PM ET

WAKE UP, they’d both be top 2 on half the league

He’s half-right.  On a good day.

Posted by Garth on 07/05/12 at 03:09 PM ET

It rubs off

How many guys with a reputation for being lazy have come to Detroit and proved everyone wrong?

I know there’s one guy who takes games off whenever he pleases and was rewarded with a lifetime contract yet still takes games off whenever he pleases…

Posted by Garth on 07/05/12 at 03:10 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s been a while since I’ve read one of Chief’s posts with “Glory Glory Hallelujah” on in the background.

I really should stop forgetting to do that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/05/12 at 03:11 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

sorry, brain fart. 2 corrections above i meant “trainwreck” and “sliding by would be”

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/05/12 at 03:12 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by phil on 07/05/12 at 12:25 PM ET

That’s absolutely correct… in Bizarro World.

Posted by calquake on 07/05/12 at 03:14 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Garth your talking about someone else completely. Semin has publicly stated he wants to become a more complete player. Lets give the guy a chance. Being our resident Mr. Negativity doesnt suit you Garth.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/05/12 at 03:18 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

A-feckin-men, Chief.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/05/12 at 03:26 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

That’s absolutely correct… in Bizarro World.

Posted by calquake on 07/05/12 at 01:14 PM ET

BOOM

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/05/12 at 03:29 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Nicely put. I am not on the Nash bandwagon. Never have been. He is not the kind of guy I envision as being good for the Wings.
As the Captain of the BJs he is supposed to be their leader. I find it hard to believe in a player that demanded to be traded very publicly. What a downer he must be in the locker room.
I know some will argue that his team sucks, but, so did the Wings, and, Yzerman did not quit on his Team, or obligation, or bitch through out all of the suck.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/05/12 at 03:32 PM ET

With a little re-tooling, this team can win.  Maybe mold the team into more of an offensive juggernaut, as it is impossible for the Wings right now to come close to filling our holes on D.  Doan would like nice on the second line.  I’d rather see Bobby Ryan than Rick Nash though.  Deal Fil (who is a good player but completly redundant with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the team) and any prospect (s) not named Smith or Nyquist to Anaheim for Ryan.  If that doesn’t work, get Semin.  Don’t give him Zach Parise money, but roll the dice, give him a 5 year deal.  For a much criticism as he gets, remember he was coached by Bruce Bourdeau, who ran the Caps like a country club, and Dale Hunter, who couldn’t utilize offensive talent if his life depended on it.  He’ll do much better in a system where consistent expectations will be set, but he’ll also be allowed to play his kind of game.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 07/05/12 at 03:32 PM ET

Semin has publicly stated he wants to become a more complete player.

I’ll take previous history of his actions over words spoken in pursuit of a multi-million dollar contract any day.

Posted by Garth on 07/05/12 at 03:54 PM ET

You completely lost me with “on paper its a better roster than the Kings.” yeah. Ok. Hope it doesnt smell too bad in your housd, cuz u are knee deep in it, Chief. I love your posts but really disagree with this take. Vehemently.

Posted by ElCapitan on 07/05/12 at 03:59 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I said it last year and I’ll say it again: give Weber an offer sheet.  Bubba can take half a deades worth of #24-30 picks.  That’s what they’ll be with the talent on this team.  Maximize the chance to win now, while there’s world class talent, because there’s no saying what the team is going to look like at the end of the decade.  5 years with the best team in the world tends to average out to one championship.  The worst that can happen is that it’ll complete fuch bubba’s penny pinching budget.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 07/05/12 at 04:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

$6 million for 2 years at Semin…

$4 million for 2 years at Doanbag (maybe pump that up to $5 if he hmms and hahs…and some crazy bread)...

Fil, Tatar, and pick (s) for Yandle…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/05/12 at 04:13 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

$6 million for 2 years at Semin…

Fil, Tatar, and pick (s) for Yandle…

everything except doanbag. Semin performs well halfway through his 2nd he gets an extension. He doesnt, he is trade fodder. I can live with that.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/05/12 at 04:25 PM ET

Some would even say, in quiet moments, that might include Zetterberg.

Sorry Chief. Not. Even. In. Whispers.

Posted by wingsluver4ever from Hockeytown North on 07/05/12 at 04:31 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Wings just hired Tom Renney as an associate/assistant coach

Posted by Primis on 07/05/12 at 04:34 PM ET

Why is everyone in such a hurry to get rid of Filppula?  He’s starting to come into his own and his prime.

Posted by neffernin on 07/05/12 at 04:37 PM ET

I do not agree with trading Filpula. No, not a good move. Pavs is getting old and only has 4 years left, same with Hank. 5 maybe.
Fils, Pavs, Hank, Nyq, Tatar, Helm, Abes, Kroner, Smith, Quincey, Jurco, Brunner we do not need to trade.
Sammy, Bert, Cleary and Ericsson have no trade clauses.

Franzen, Mursak, Emmerton, Sheehan, Miller, Eaves, Kindl, White, and any draft picks they want. I would easily give up any combination of those guys for Yandle and Ryan. Plus sign Semin.
I’d take that team to the bank any day.
we have 16 fwds under contract. if we sign Semin is 17. That means we need to get rid of 5 at least if we are getting one back in a trade.
there is room to move.
8 players and draft picks for those two, and i am fine with it.
Imagine the lines.

Ryan Pavs Semin
Hank Flip Nyquist
Sammy Helm Brunner
Tootoo Abes Bertuzzi/Cleary

Kroner Yandle
Quincey Smith
Ericsson White

I would take that team to the cup any day. at least to make some serious noise. very formidible.

Franzen and Emmerton and Sheehan and a 1st for Ryan.
Kindl, Mursak, Miller for Yandle
I would make that trade from both sides.
Getzlaf and Perry are potential UFA’s next year.
And i would absolutely make a giant offer to Weber just to hand tie Nash.
and one of the koystinen brothers are UFA’s also. just to think about it.

Posted by Munnster from USN on 07/05/12 at 04:41 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So we need more production/scoring?

We need a 40 goal-scorer like Rick Nash?

Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM
2009
-10  Detroit Red Wings           NHL    74   23   47   70   26
2010
-11  Detroit Red Wings           NHL    80   24   56   80   40
2011
-12  Detroit Red Wings           NHL    82   22   47   69   47

There’s your 40 goal scorer.  That Zetterberg’s stats since the lockout.  43 once, and 39 once.  He’s capable of it.  23, 24, and 22 goals in back-to-back-to-back years isn’t enough though.

We don’t need Rick Nash.  We need a guy already on the roster that’s scored 40 to do it again.  Not put up numbers in the low-to-mid 20’s.

35-40 from Z.  Around 30 from Franzen.  25-30 from Datsyuk.  That should be 90-100 goals for the team, right there, and I don’t think those are at all unreasonable.  I know you guys hate Franzen, but he’s scored right around 30 four of the past 5 years.  Pavel reasonably is a 25-30 himself, though his range seems to be 27-32.

Heart, determination… I get all that.  Our supposed-to-apparently be-next-captain needs to score more though.  15-20 more goals for the team would go a long ways.

Posted by Primis on 07/05/12 at 04:56 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

You forget, Primis. Zetterberg’s goals went down at exactly the same time he went from Pavel’s wing to 2nd line pivot.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your stats.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/05/12 at 05:03 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

There is nothing wrong with Detroit’s current defense that ice time won’t iron out.
Mosr teams would kill their 1st born to have players like Kindl and Smith waiting for that ice time.  Detroit is in a Defensive rut by relying on one or two to eat up 25 min a game.

A young player screws up and you cut him to 4-5 mn a game and sit him out 1st chance that comes along….That is just no way to develop talent.

The mistake comes to the bench and you tell them ‘Try not to do that again’ and send him right back out there   If that doesn’t work out you get him off the roster, send him down, trade him or release him.  Cutting ice time and playing him once every 3 games is total crap and no way to develop players.

The rut that Detroit has dug for itself starts behind the bench.  What Detroit has done with the talent it has the last 6-7 years is embarrassing.  The best change they could make is behind the bench.

Our current crop, wandering around behind the bench in their suit and ties have no concept of a plan B.  If plan A isn’t working, try harder.  WTF..?  The puck control game plan only works when you have superior talent across the board and no one has a bad night.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/05/12 at 05:17 PM ET

I agree with mrfluffy. Nash at that price is not worth it. While I do think that Nash would score more on a live with Pavs, its not worth the cost and the future.
Ryan seems less expensive and is 5 years younger than franzen and would fit great for a team that has too many forwards as it is. Make a deal for him with Franzen and Emmerton and a pick.

Posted by Munnster on 07/05/12 at 05:19 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

find it hard to believe in a player that demanded to be traded very publicly

He didn’t, Howson stated very publicly Nash came to him and asked for a trade.  About a month or two later, it came out that Howson had gone to Nash and asked him if he’d waive his no-trade clause.

So Howson was the one who asked Nash to leave, then lied to the press about it.  At the time here in Columbus, fans, no joke, were picketting down at Nationwide over how shitty a job Howson was doing and that management wasn’t going to fire him

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/05/12 at 05:29 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m telling you, Nash and Ryan will go for similar deals.  Gotta pocket full of I told you so’s ready to go.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/05/12 at 05:31 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

You are right. And the top dog behind the bench is Mike Babcock. He calls the shots. He draws up the game plan. If the plan isn’t panning, change the fuching plan.
Unfortunately we have a coach that doesn’t like to admit when he is in the wrong, or, that he makes mistakes.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13