Abel to Yzerman

Note To Ann Arbor Beer Sellers: Start Stocking Up On PBR ASAP

We might as well start planning this bash right here and now.

Pension Plan Puppets

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings will be playing in the 2013 Winter Classic at the University of Michigan’s Big House. Bob McKenzie confirmed as much on TSN’s Insider Trading last night in the intermission of the Montreal-Boston game.

I’m not asking for much, just a full-blown, mandatory all hands muster in Ann Arbor.  115,000 seats and I’m going to find it hard to believe we can’t score 19 of them.

The redolent one seems to think the Wings may have a tough decision on the venue, but it’s looking like that call’s already been made.

Back to the Puppets.

This Winter Classic will be truly amazing.

Concur.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Woo-Hoo Bitches!!!!! This will be the best Winter Classic ever!

Two teams that have tradition, and, a great history as rivals.

Be there or be square. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/13/12 at 01:50 PM ET

Parking around The Big House is often on dirt fields that might be excessively muddy or covered in deep snow, next January.

Maybe between now and next January someone will invent some sort of device that would be used to “plow” throw fields of snow in order to somehow clear some room for parking.

Comerica or the Big House, I’m *#$%@& there.

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 01:55 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

The bad thing about the parking/traffic situation is that the overpass on Stadium Blvd. that goes over Main Street has been torn down for reconstruction. Hopefully they have that finished in time.  Thankfully, my grandparents live close enough to The Big House that I can just walk there.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/13/12 at 02:02 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I was at the big chill game between Michigan & MSU. It was amazing event. People tailgating at Pioneer High before the game was really cool. I can’t speak for everyones view, but I was about 30 rows up from the field near the Michigan Band, and I could see great. I was able to get tickets because I was a Michigan hockey season ticket holder. I suspect I wont be able to snag nearly as good a seat for this game, but it should quite an event with all the leaf fans there.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/13/12 at 02:03 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

H2H3 at the Big House?

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 01/13/12 at 02:16 PM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Yes, yes and yes! H2A… Hockeytown to Ann Arbor!

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 01/13/12 at 02:23 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Like I could miss a game in my hometown…I’ll be there.  No, I’m not introducing you reprobates to any of the people I went to school with.  I have respect I need to maintain, you know…

The Beer Vault stocks PBR already….among about 999 other varieties, that is (so glad that place reopened, shame they had to close the drive-thru, but that just means more space for beer).

You mean the John Hieftje Bridge is no more?  About freaking time…

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 01/13/12 at 02:30 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“H2H3 at the Big House?”

What a way to end The Trilogy(!)

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/13/12 at 02:31 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“You mean the John Hieftje Bridge is no more?  About freaking time…”

Yup. I was in Ann Arbor back in September for the Michigan/San Diego State game and they were just beginning to rip that bitch down. My parents were up there for Xmas and they told me it was completely gone.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/13/12 at 02:32 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

If we can get a block of tickets, I’ll take four.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/13/12 at 02:33 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Haven’t been to Ann Arbor since 1971. Has it changed much?

I saw a great MC5 show.

Posted by dougie on 01/13/12 at 02:36 PM ET

Probably the headline of 2012, and it won’t take place until 2013.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 01/13/12 at 02:44 PM ET

VooX's avatar

We’re gonna need a shit-load of tinfoil.  Any way to insulate the tinfoil hat?  I want to keep the alien mind control waves at bay, but don’t want to lose an ear to frostbite.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/13/12 at 02:58 PM ET

VooX's avatar

The only story left to write is how badly Li’l Gary is going to screw Wings fans for available seats to purchase.  Never underestimate the spite of a bitter, bitter little bitty midget troll.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/13/12 at 03:03 PM ET

VooX's avatar

And of course we all have to ignore the fact that the NHL is heading head first into another of Li’l Gary’s “Offseasons”.  Thanks Gary. Ass.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/13/12 at 03:05 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Home (near A2) now for Winter Break. Campus is so much different than it was just a few years ago when i graduated.  5 guys, 7-11, CVS all on State Street by the Diag…Ha, wish that was there when I was there. This will be amazing.  You know what else will be great?  The 24-7 show with Mike Babcock behind the scenes; can’t wait for that.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/13/12 at 03:07 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

Can you imagine 70,000 red wings fans going ape shit?  I’ll be a tiny spot of red amongst them….no way I am missing this.  I’ll mortgage my house if I have to.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 01/13/12 at 03:38 PM ET

[sells collectibles]

I have family in Dearborn I can stay with and I ain’t seen them since ‘96 when I moved here to Las Vegas.  Gonna be there.

Oh yes.  I will be there.

And thanks to the Toronto Maple Leafs for making a HUGE noise about wanting to be there for what will be the greatest spectacle on ice.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/13/12 at 03:40 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

I kinda hope the game is in Detroit instead of at UM. The uniqueness of a hockey game at the Big House just isn’t there because its already been done. Little Gary B was late on this. Thanks Gary. Ass.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 01/13/12 at 03:49 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Have card. Will travel.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 01/13/12 at 03:51 PM ET

As opposed to the uniqueness of a hockey game at another baseball park?

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 03:52 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

As opposed to the uniqueness of a hockey game at another baseball park?

I get your point. I won’t be upset if the game is at UM, just the excitement level for me will be a little lower versus if the game had been done at UM a few years ago. I guess thats my point.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 01/13/12 at 04:01 PM ET

Just sorting through the Gore and I found this on Wiki:

The first outdoor game to feature an NHL team was held on February 2, 1954.  The Detroit Red Wings played an exhibition game on an outdoor ice surface, in 21 °F (−6 °C) degree weather, against inmates at Michigan’s Marquette Branch Prison. After the first period the Red Wings led in the game 18–0; the score for the rest of the game was not kept.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/13/12 at 04:03 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I guess I’m an *#$%@& because I think this thing at Michigan Stadium would be awful. It should be at Comerica.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/13/12 at 04:11 PM ET

I guess thats my point.

I get you.  I wouldn’t complain if it ended up being at Comerica, but from my perspective I’m going to do everything I can to get to the WC whether it’s in Detroit or Ann Arbor and I would love it if I were part of a world record-breaking audience.

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 04:14 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’d love to see Ted Lindsay in his prime against some certified convicts. That would be the epitome of grit.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/13/12 at 04:15 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I hope they tape the contract negotiations.  Between Gary Ass and David Brandon, I’m not sure whose ego is bigger.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 01/13/12 at 04:44 PM ET

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 01/13/12 at 01:44 PM ET

I seriously laughed in my belly.  Outstanding.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/13/12 at 04:45 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I don’t care where the game is, what I do care about is getting my ass a ticket.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/13/12 at 05:19 PM ET

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/13/12 at 01:15 PM ET

Can’t believe I missed this comment but I wouldn’t mind seeing this group of Wings playing against some hardcore baddies just so they can earn and learn some serious P12 grade sandpaper.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/13/12 at 05:43 PM ET

calquake's avatar

For those of you who would like to read the full story SYF was referring to at Marquette Prison, type in the following website and enjoy.

Posted by calquake on 01/13/12 at 05:54 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/13/12 at 01:11 PM ET

Why?

I was at Wrigley and I can tell you that in a 40,000 seat baseball stadium, there are probably only about 15,000 or so “good” seats for watching a hockey game.  It was a great experience, but I still feel that outdoor games belong in football stadiums.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/13/12 at 05:56 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m in for two tickets if the 19 get a block of seats.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/13/12 at 07:41 PM ET

Oh wow!  Thanks, cal.  I’m bookmarking that on my Chrome Bookmarks Bar.

At one point Ted Lindsay handed the puck to the cons’ best player…. “Go, man, go,” the Wings’ captain told him.

[The prisoner] who had been embarrassed enough…looked into Terrible Ted’s scarred face.

“Bleep you, Ted,” said [he]. “I ain’t going.” Everyone within earshot of this exchange roared with laughter.

I spat out my coffee so fast…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/13/12 at 08:37 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Holy crap..if I ever had a reason to make it back to the motherland, this is it.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/13/12 at 10:20 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

You are banned from Five For Howling.
You can browse the blog, but you can’t participate.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 01/13/12 at 04:23 PM ET

Ouch, I bet that stung.

The good thing about having it at M Stadium is the new Ginormous video walls in each end zone.  The seats at M Stadium angle back from the field so flat and quickly it will be nearly impossible for anyone to follow the action directly anyway.  It will be like watching a game on TV with 110,000 of your best friends, only outdoors and possibly freezing your ass off.

I think it would be a great event if there and the players will like playing in front of the largest crowd to see an NHL game.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/13/12 at 10:48 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 01/13/12 at 01:44 PM ET

One difference is that Brandon is competent.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/13/12 at 10:53 PM ET

Haven’t been to Ann Arbor since 1971. Has it changed much?

I saw a great MC5 show.

Posted by dougie on 01/13/12 at 11:36 AM ET

I wasn’t around in ‘71 to compare, but I enjoy Ann Arbor, I’m looking to move there when I finish school.

Which will be before this game, so I hope I can get tix.

I bet the MC5 show was great, I would’ve loved to see them and The Stooges back then. BUT I did see The Stooges in Toronto minus Ron Ashton RIP

Posted by LGRWeh on 01/14/12 at 01:55 AM ET

Tried high and low to find some pictures of the “Pros vs. Cons” outdoor hockey game between the Red Wings and the Marquette Branch Prison hockey team and I found only this:

Link to the story.  In particular is my favorite part of the article:

Following the game, each Red Wing received a hand tooled wallet with their name and team logo etched in leather, gifts made by the prisoners. That evening the Wings defeated the Marquette Sentinels in the city arena before returning to Detroit on a chartered North Central DC-3.

Just ten weeks later, the Red Wings were crowned Stanley Cup Champions after defeating Montreal.

And nobody cheered louder than the inmates in Marquette.

Good stuff.  Damn good stuff.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/14/12 at 05:18 AM ET

Possible retro sweaters not regularly seen:

A closer inspection of the original Winged Wheel sported by the 1893 Montreal AAA (the first Stanley Cup winners):

According to Third String Goalie, the current and enduring and instantly recognizable Winged Wheel wasn’t formally introduced until the start of the 1932-1933 season.  It was the basic all-red getup we currently see and the only time the team wore white sweaters was when they played the Habs.

Excellent retrospective by Third String Goalie.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/14/12 at 05:36 AM ET

1 2 >       Next »