Abel to Yzerman

No More Sloppy Seconds, Time To Bury The Oilers Underground

Some amazing things can happen in the space of 60 minutes.  Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" album launched his mainstream career and the Rolling Stones managed to be sober and cohesive long enough to put together their finest work "Exile on Main St.", both clocking in at just over 60.  Even Beethoven's 9th Symphony comes in around the 60 minute mark.  All of them are timeless and seminal efforts.

For some reason our Red Wings just can't put in the effort for a full 60.  As Ken Daniels pointed out yesterday there are Sloppy Seconds. Unfortuantely there are also Taintastic Thirds and Fuch-it Firsts.  For some reason ever since the Sweet Baby Jesus brought Cup #11 to its rightful home in Detroit, the team has stopped playing complete games and started phoning in periods and entire games at a time.

Mule, once hungry for goals, now floats like driftwood for stretches at a time.  Among the 19 this puts him up Shit's Creek with a turd for a paddle, to quote Ween.  Thankfully for some the Mule will not be in the lineup.  According to Malik he is being replaced by the long-awaited return of Mikael Samuelsson.  Wait, I meant Darren Helm whose work as God has been sorely missed around here.

My posting around here has been sporadic but so has my watching of the team.  After more than three years of a self-imposed boycott from the game (Thanks Gary.  Ass) I am slowly getting back into the swing of things.  I've watched two games this week and the Emperor tells me that is two more games than TheLinkGoesHere watches in a typical month, so I feel like I am becoming blog-ready again.

Around here RedMenace has been showing off in the GDT with fancy tables and graphics and our Command Master Chief has been away on a ship making boys into men.  (Get your mind out of the gutters, perverts).   The juvenile deliciousness we have all come to expect of A2Y has dwindled to a trickle.

As I get back into the swing of the game and the team, all the old anger is returning.  The vitriol to fuel a thousand angry rants is building up inside me.  The frustrations of Sloppy Seconds and Whiskey Dick power-plays are mounting.  Hopefully, with a bit of time, the three of us at A2Y will be able to match the prolific output of one JJ from Kansas.  Minus the factual analysis and research, of course.

It is time for another Live Blog, bitches.  The bar is open and well stocked so fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures as they fly through the air.  It's time for the Wings to bury the Oilers deep undergroud into the tar sands whence they came.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›      Next »

VooX's avatar

What kind of gun?  Rifle ?
Just got my Conceal/Carry.  No weapon yet.  Anybody know handguns?
Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 11/02/13 at 11:45 PM ET

Triple gun, ideally, which is handgun, rifle, and shotgun.  Although I think skydiving with both a rifle and shotgun may be too awkward, so likely a couple of rifle and handgun stages

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:51 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

the FAA are such buzzkills about randomly dropping in on populated areas without a special exhibition permit.  Fuching communists.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:49 PM ET

Pffft.  I live on 10 acres.  The 10 acres right to my west doesn’t have a house on it.  The 10 acres to my east has a house but the guy lives down in Zeeland and only comes up to shoot.

Hell the closest neighbors I have come running when they hear us shooting and they have their guns in tote.  smile  Dammit I love living out in the boonies.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/02/13 at 11:52 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

As far as dropping in goes, the FAA are such buzzkills about randomly dropping in on populated areas without a special exhibition permit.

This presumes you will hit the ground….alive.  Otherwise it is just “debris” from the sky…while Jeff was hosting a BBQ….

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 11/02/13 at 11:52 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yep…and you KNOW why they have their names stenciled on their back pockets right???

Posted by 42jeff from Howard City, MI on 11/02/13 at 11:48 PM ET

No, why is that?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/02/13 at 11:53 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

we won’t have our normal LB unless we had someone to gripe aboot

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 11:42 PM ET

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/02/13 at 11:53 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

No, why is that?

Depends…which way is the print facing?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 11/02/13 at 11:54 PM ET

VooX's avatar

I have a Smith and Wesson 9mm.  I like it.  Glow in the dark sights on it and it’s really well balanced.
Posted by 42jeff from Howard City, MI on 11/02/13 at 11:47 PM ET

Is yours the M&P?  I have my sights (pardon the pun) on an M&P 45 without an external safety and an Apex duty-carry trigger for my upcoming purchase.

Posted by 42jeff from Howard City, MI on 11/02/13 at 11:52 PM ET

Very nice.  Even a relatively inexperienced jumper as myself wouldn’t have any trouble hitting your landing area.  Now if you have any connections with a plane and a jump door, we may have to talk.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:54 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

... There was a time when I would never say anything bad about any player no matter what.  Those days are gone.

growing pains

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 11:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

You’re out of your fracking element, Donnie!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/02/13 at 11:55 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

with a plane and a jump door, we may have to talk.

My uncle has a couple planes and I’m a pilot….but I don’t know if you could jump out of any of the planes he has.

Could maybe hold on reaaalll tight to the struts

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/02/13 at 11:56 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

I have a shiny, 6 inch Smith & Wesson 357, it serves me well.  wink

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 11/02/13 at 11:57 PM ET

VooX's avatar

That is how one exits a Cessna on a group jump.  Holding onto the strut like superman with one foot on a bit of the piece of metal installed over the landing wheel.  No other way to fly.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:58 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

It is.  It was real wierd getting used to handling a gun with no safety but you get used to it.  Got my kids shooting now too.  My nephew has a friend who just started reloading and I’m a regular customer.  Not bad getting 50 9mm for $15.  He’s just starting to dabble in rifle rounds so I told him he had to do 30-.06 first.  He starts doing 6.5mm and I just may have to put him on retainer.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/02/13 at 11:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jeff where do you live from Howard City again?  Approximately?  N, S, E, W.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/02/13 at 11:59 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Ima pilot…I’ll push yur butt out…door or not! wink

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 11/03/13 at 12:00 AM ET

Trish's avatar

Dammit I love living out in the boonies

You’re S of Big Rapids N of GR, correct?  Nice country.

My family still in MI is in Gr Traverse & Leelanau counties.  Love it there as well.

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 11/03/13 at 12:01 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

As much as I’ve flown…I could never do it.  I’ve even flown jump planes but I could just never do it.  One of the guys I flew a couple summers ago showed me his jump log…after his third jump the instructor guy wrote “You need to get a new hobby”  lolz

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/03/13 at 12:01 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’ve been going to get a pistol but I don’t know what I would do with it other then go to Fort Lee shooting range. My lesbian neighbors dog comes out every night between 10 and 11 and barks at God knows what and sometimes I would like to shoot at him, but the police here frown on discharging weapons around houses for some reason.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/03/13 at 12:02 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Howard City, MI on 11/02/13 at 11:59 PM ET

I always thought external safeties were a stupid solution to a simple problem.  Just keep your damn finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to destroy something.  If one follows the basic rules of gun handling, negligent and accidental discharges would never happen.  At least that’s how I was taught and it makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/03/13 at 12:02 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Jeff where do you live from Howard City again?  Approximately?  N, S, E, W.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/02/13 at 11:59 PM ET

West.  Look west from HC.  well hell here I ain’t skeered

here

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/03/13 at 12:04 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

I’ve even flown jump planes but I could just never do it.

I has a rule aboot jumping from perfectly functioning planes.  My kid did a tandem jump a month or so back…he is also a pilot…said it was on his fuchit list.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 11/03/13 at 12:04 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Trish…sent

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 11/03/13 at 12:05 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Damn it’s good seeing Helm out there

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/03/13 at 12:08 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Petr.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/03/13 at 12:10 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Howard City, MI on 11/03/13 at 12:01 AM ET

I know of (and personally as well) quite a few skydivers who had horrible accidents.  It is definitely not a sport for everyone, both in terms of fear and intelligence.

My first year as a licensed solo jumper I met a World Champion skydiver who had over 40,000 jumps to his credit.  I asked if he ever got hurt and he said he never did, except for hitting a hidden stake in the ground at a DZ and gashing his leg.  I asked how he kept safe and said it was simple… never attempt anything you aren’t qualified or prepared to do safely.  Made a lot of sense.

Risk homeostasis is when you no longer get the fear of doing something dangerous because you have experience.  Like the first time you drove on the highway yourself in a car compared to after many years of driving and driving the same highway.  It is just as dangerous, but your knuckles are not clenched in fear.

Skydiving has a real problem with risk homeostasis.  People end up doing stuff way outside their paygrade and end up suffering horrible consequences.  There are old skydivers and bold skydivers, but no old and bold skydivers.

I am considering retiring from the sport so I don’t leave a widow behind but think I will remain jumping until I finish one of my major goals: to fully solve a scrambled Rubik’s Cube during freefall before I pull my ripcord.  My best solve time (in competition) is just over 30 seconds and my best at home is just under 25 seconds.  Simply putting it all together during a jump should be quite a challenge, although I do have 65 seconds of freefall time to get it done.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/03/13 at 12:10 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Yeah…but won’t you lose the stickers?  I mean that’s the easy way to “solve” a Rubiks cube right?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/03/13 at 12:13 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Wings are just way too casual on their PP

Posted by Hootinani on 11/03/13 at 12:13 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I couldn’t do one of those things in 65 days ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/03/13 at 12:13 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

BOOM!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 11/03/13 at 12:15 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Mr. Anderson

4-0

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/03/13 at 12:15 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Anderssssssson!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/03/13 at 12:15 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Andy!!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/03/13 at 12:15 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Sweet.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 11/03/13 at 12:15 AM ET

Trish's avatar

Damn it’s good seeing Helm out there

Agree.  So happy that Taz is back and is still FAST

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 11/03/13 at 12:15 AM ET

That’ll shut up the crowd, cheering while Quincey lay on the ice. Great work by Abdelkader.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 11/03/13 at 12:15 AM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

What a shift!

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 11/03/13 at 12:16 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Tertiary scoring all night long.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/03/13 at 12:16 AM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

What a shift!

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 11/03/13 at 12:16 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Pizza Papalis Greektown, Meat Lovers.  Takes 45 minutes to bake that bitch cuz it’s so deep, but worth the wait!
( and deep dish does not mean just make the crust thicker, it’s thick with pizza goodness )

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/03/13 at 12:16 AM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Interesting, not sure how I double posted that…

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 11/03/13 at 12:16 AM ET