Abel to Yzerman

No More Sloppy Seconds, Time To Bury The Oilers Underground

Some amazing things can happen in the space of 60 minutes.  Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" album launched his mainstream career and the Rolling Stones managed to be sober and cohesive long enough to put together their finest work "Exile on Main St.", both clocking in at just over 60.  Even Beethoven's 9th Symphony comes in around the 60 minute mark.  All of them are timeless and seminal efforts.

For some reason our Red Wings just can't put in the effort for a full 60.  As Ken Daniels pointed out yesterday there are Sloppy Seconds. Unfortuantely there are also Taintastic Thirds and Fuch-it Firsts.  For some reason ever since the Sweet Baby Jesus brought Cup #11 to its rightful home in Detroit, the team has stopped playing complete games and started phoning in periods and entire games at a time.

Mule, once hungry for goals, now floats like driftwood for stretches at a time.  Among the 19 this puts him up Shit's Creek with a turd for a paddle, to quote Ween.  Thankfully for some the Mule will not be in the lineup.  According to Malik he is being replaced by the long-awaited return of Mikael Samuelsson.  Wait, I meant Darren Helm whose work as God has been sorely missed around here.

My posting around here has been sporadic but so has my watching of the team.  After more than three years of a self-imposed boycott from the game (Thanks Gary.  Ass) I am slowly getting back into the swing of things.  I've watched two games this week and the Emperor tells me that is two more games than TheLinkGoesHere watches in a typical month, so I feel like I am becoming blog-ready again.

Around here RedMenace has been showing off in the GDT with fancy tables and graphics and our Command Master Chief has been away on a ship making boys into men.  (Get your mind out of the gutters, perverts).   The juvenile deliciousness we have all come to expect of A2Y has dwindled to a trickle.

As I get back into the swing of the game and the team, all the old anger is returning.  The vitriol to fuel a thousand angry rants is building up inside me.  The frustrations of Sloppy Seconds and Whiskey Dick power-plays are mounting.  Hopefully, with a bit of time, the three of us at A2Y will be able to match the prolific output of one JJ from Kansas.  Minus the factual analysis and research, of course.

It is time for another Live Blog, bitches.  The bar is open and well stocked so fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures as they fly through the air.  It's time for the Wings to bury the Oilers deep undergroud into the tar sands whence they came.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›      Next »

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Trying to decide how much of this is the Wings looking good, and how much of this is the Oilers well-documented struggles in their own end.

Posted by Primis on 11/02/13 at 10:55 PM ET

No analysis. Just enjoy.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/02/13 at 09:57 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Hasn’t been tested much Trish. Defense is offering good support. So far.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 11/02/13 at 09:58 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:55 PM ET

but it does help with seeing the line changes easier / more often

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 09:59 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Helm’s on pace to score 68 goals this season

Posted by Hootinani on 11/02/13 at 10:05 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 10:59 PM ET

I find the opposite.  Rarely does the camera clearly show the bottom end of the rink (from the camera’s perspective) but to me having the changes at the top of the rink/screen, which is almost always in frame when the camera is pointed at the neutral zone, helps me see the changes easier.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:09 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:09 PM ET

must be a US/Canada thing grin

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 10:11 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

The broadcast crew cannot stop fuchin with the mojo.

No jink. No jink. No jink.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/02/13 at 10:12 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 11:11 PM ET

Only a crazy American like yourself would try and argue hockey with someone from Canada.  Have a drink on me, bitch, it’s all good.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:12 PM ET

Trish's avatar

must be a US/Canada thing

I don’t know, guess I’m such a rink rat it doesn’t matter to me.  Do notice the occasional odd camera angles tho.

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 11/02/13 at 10:13 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Helm talking about the frustrations of recovery.  I’ve been injured since December and I can definitely relate to the ups and downs as well as the constant frustration of why things are taking so long.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:14 PM ET

Trish's avatar

I’ve been injured since December

What did you do VooX?

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 11/02/13 at 10:16 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:12 PM ET

>>clink<<

Salute , cheers and Slainte..

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 10:16 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Standing still in traffic I was rear-ended by a car who barely slowed down.  Messed up my back badly.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:17 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

What did you do VooX?

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 11/02/13 at 11:16 PM ET

He sprained his liver

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/02/13 at 10:17 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Gamecenter feed much more stable this period so far.  Good thing I don’t pay for it as it can be glitchy which would make me bitchy.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:18 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:17 PM ET

be prepared: pulled groins will be part of your recovery, too.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 10:18 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Man, that SUX!  U doin the Chiro thing?

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 11/02/13 at 10:19 PM ET

Man, I’m getting tired of watching Kindl struggle. He’s not really hurting the team, but he could be contributing so much more.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 11/02/13 at 10:19 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Wow Kindl was just tackled.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 11/02/13 at 10:19 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 11:18 PM ET

Being stuck at home for most of the year unable to work and sometimes move, I definitely have pulled at my groin enough to affect my vision permanently.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:20 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Ouch.  Well glad you’re okay otherwise.  We had an accident here in town a couple weeks ago..  some moron left a bar in town on a harley, got up to they estimate about 65 mph in a block and a half and nailed two of my cousins in their minivan. Dude FLIPPED their minivan with his bike.  One of my cousins eventually died from injuiries.

The bike guy wasn’t wearing a helmet so you can imagine what was left of him

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/02/13 at 10:20 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

ken said a linesman hit ‘in a bad area’ ...

was he skating in the goalies crease?

homer said it was always a ‘bad area’ for him.

cheese

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 10:21 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Kindl from A.L.F.—pretty play!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/02/13 at 10:22 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Wow, great shot!

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 11/02/13 at 10:22 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

JAK!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/02/13 at 10:22 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Bingo Bango!  with an assist to Alfie…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 11/02/13 at 10:23 PM ET

Wow, more like that Kindl.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 11/02/13 at 10:23 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 11/02/13 at 11:19 PM ET

you were saying?

3-0

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/13 at 10:23 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Back injuries are the worst. They always flare up long after recovery. I just had two days of agony with back and hip. But, I’m kind getting up there in age. It really gets you down being in constant pain. I should be back to normal in a few more days.

Hope you feel better VooX.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/02/13 at 10:23 PM ET

VooX's avatar

No chiro, Trish, not skeletal damage just a bunch of muscular and tissue damage.  I had a horrible physiotherapist for the first couple of months which set me back but found a really great one after I fired the first one.  Unfortunately my insurance funding for rehab ran out months ago and I am on my own now to work on my recovery.

I haven’t yet been able to return to the MMA gym and wasn’t able to workout for about six months so I am lacking a lot of my physical conditioning and strength.  Which sucks.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:23 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Amazon Kindl !

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/02/13 at 10:24 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Yessssss   Yak (Slow feed)

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 11/02/13 at 10:24 PM ET

Bent's avatar

I am sorry to hear that Jeff.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 11/02/13 at 10:24 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Howard City, MI on 11/02/13 at 11:20 PM ET

That is awful.  My condolences to you and your entire family.

Tertiary scoring getting the job done tonight, bitches.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:25 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:23 PM ET

Never had any to begin with..I suppose it’s best to have never had any so I don’t know what I’m missing.  smile

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/02/13 at 10:25 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/02/13 at 11:23 PM ET

I managed a lot of my pain with stretching, exercise, and Satirical Sage when necessary.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:26 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Howard City, MI on 11/02/13 at 11:25 PM ET

You air force guys are always taking flak for being soft.  It would still be my service of choice if I could ever stomach following orders from those more incompetent than myself (including the politicians who give the mandates).

In the British SAS, the parachuting specialists are called the “Ice Cream Boys” because instead of being stuck in a swamp or on a mountain, they are usually waiting for their next flight and eating ice cream.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 10:29 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/02/13 at 11:29 PM ET

I don’t dispute that.  smile

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/02/13 at 10:31 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

waiting for their next flight and eating ice cream.

What a great job!