Abel to Yzerman

No Matter What…We Will Not Rent This Live Blog

This is classic Holland.  He should patent this line.

"I'm OK where we're at," Holland said.

He said that to Helene St. James some time in the last 30 hours, via text, Facebook message or in person over Tabs.  I just don't know.  But, remember, it's not just Holland making the big decisions that a real-life GM is, you know, paid to make. Oh no.  Don't forget.  There's a committee to take the fall should the Wings do, I don't know...absolutely nothing at the deadline.

...like always, general manager Ken Holland will work the phones. He'll have his front-office staff assembled at Joe Louis Arena, ready to run any potential moves by trusted associates.

Quirky.

I've never seen anything like that.  This consistent reminder that it's not just Holland making the calls.  We've got it.  We know.  Holland, and Nill, and the Capologist, Draper and Chelios.  Kirk Maltby's analyzing spreadsheets, breaking down the numbers, giving Tick Tock subtle head shakes.  Holland's taking it all in, ruminating, a phone in each ear, a hotline to Mr. I, Babcock peeking in, everyone weighing the options, boy.  A beehive of hockey activity.  Discussing, collaborating, dialing.

And doing a whole lot of jack shit.

But that's ok, because...and don't you think for one second she wouldn't write this if Holland didn't tell her to...St. James says the Wings don't have a shot anyway.

The Wings aren't elite, not like the Penguins, Blackhawks or Los Angeles Kings. But they are a good team with a lot of young players who bode well for future success. But this isn't a year to sell the farm for a shot at the Cup.

"We're trying to make the playoffs but at the same time rebuild the team," Holland said. "I like our depth up front. We're set in goal. We're younger on defense. We have to be patient."

Just for the record, LA's elite.  She said it, and so...apparently indirectly...did Holland.

Really?  Look at both rosters and even take into account LA's one month record of success, and tell me they're "elite"?  Ok.  If they are? So is Detroit.

These are the Detroit motherfuching Red Wings.  Just the name is elite. Just the way it rolls off your tongue.  The scent is elite.  The colors are elite.  The history is elite.

If there isn't a deal to be made? Got it. We're used to that, believe me.

But don't tell me that with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Howard, even Franzen and Filppula...don't tell me that there is no chance at a deep run. Don't you dare use that as an excuse not to do anything on Wednesday or before.

This is a live blog, yes.  Yes it is, bitches.  But it's a mandate at the same time.  I'll be flying cross-country and missing everything. The Wings. UM. Easter treats.  That's probably why I'm testy.

Beat the Hawks, Wings. Do it and remind Tick Tock what elite means.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >       Next »

Really Olsuck?  Stalberg injured because of an “errant play by Getzlaf”? I saw the play.  Getzlaf was on the side boards facing the wall in the defensive zone and spun quick to clear the zone and Stalberg who was bent over reaching towards Getzlaf got hit with the shot.  That’s errant?  Listen, I hate Getzlaf as much as the next person Eddie, but quit being a homeristic assclown during a national broadcast.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/31/13 at 01:15 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by Valek on 03/31/13 at 02:15 PM ET

Isn’t that his job?  Sure seems like it.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 01:18 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

BTW - I am not a basketball fan.  But I am a Wolverine.  Also, I live in Central Florida and Gator fans are insufferable. So GO BLUE!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 01:19 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I’ve been listening to Ken and Paul.  Sammy managed to get hurt again, eh?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 02:10 PM ET

With any luck that will force Holland’s impotent hand.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/31/13 at 01:21 PM ET

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 02:19 PM ET

I live in Chicago, and Hawks fans are very genial and level-headed.  tongue rolleye

This week at work is going to suck…..more than usual.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/31/13 at 01:22 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by Valek on 03/31/13 at 02:22 PM ET

I feel for you.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 01:25 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Shouldn’t it be 7-0 by now? I think our D is tightening up.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:31 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Florida looks like the Wings

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/31/13 at 01:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Florida looks like the Wings

HAHAHA, exactly what I was thinking.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 01:35 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

So GO BLUE!

Mich 18 / FL 4 at 13:52 of the 1st

Go Blue!, indeed.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/31/13 at 01:36 PM ET

I just want the legacy to continue. If this team really has no shot at winning the Cup, at least let us get into the playoffs. Keep that streak alive, because it’s symbolic of what this team is about. Winning, no matter what.

I wish this game would inspire some serious changes. Do whatever they can to get rid of the multitude of players we know aren’t good enough. But…it’s hard to imagine anything will happen.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 03/31/13 at 01:38 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Douche Canoe thinks Kenny has done a fantastic job? Now I know Kenny should be fired

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:38 PM ET

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 03/31/13 at 02:38 PM ET

Was thinking the same thing

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/31/13 at 01:39 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

6-0. 3 goals, 2 goals, 1 goal. Our D is tightening up. I really like our team.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:42 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Mich 23 / FL 7 at 10:39 of the 1st

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/31/13 at 01:42 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Oh no.  They scored again…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 01:43 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I remember saying a few days ago that I dreaded this game…  Sigh.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 01:44 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

That Samuelsson signing continues to pay dividends.  Probably should have kicked his tires first though.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/31/13 at 01:44 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Much thanks if someone could keep me up to date on both games, my cable just pulled a Wings a took a big dump

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/31/13 at 01:45 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Have we pulled the goalie yet?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/31/13 at 01:46 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

25-8@10 min mark MI UP

6-0 8 to go

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:47 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

25-8@10 min mark MI UP

6-0 8 to go

thanks

looks like UM is going down, but the Wings are going to snap Chicago’s win streak the the Joe.

Now, where is that needle again ...

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/31/13 at 01:49 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

PP goal - Hope….....

Lets Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/31/13 at 01:49 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Have we pulled the goalie yet?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/31/13 at 02:46 PM ET

Did we start a goalie?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:49 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Mich 25 / FL 11 at 7:54 of the 1st

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/31/13 at 01:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Chi killed a penalty. Still 6-0 with 5:40 to go.
MI 25-11 7:54 to go in first. Fla ball

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:52 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Did we start a goalie?

(in my best Ed McMahon) “you are correct, sir!”

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/31/13 at 01:53 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

7-0 Chicago

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:55 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

.ugh 0-7

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/31/13 at 01:55 PM ET

Just give up on covering the guy Fil no worries.  Not like you’re playing for a contract.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/31/13 at 01:56 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Barb’s with the Mikela is not amused face after that one

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:56 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Mich 35 / FL 15 at 5:25 of the 1st

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/31/13 at 01:56 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Bab’s. Damn auto correct

MsRedWinger's avatar

Oh GAWD, Wings.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/31/13 at 01:56 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Whoever said earlier they might give up 9 in honor of Gordie, I’m on board now.  Make it happen boys!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/31/13 at 01:56 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

7-0 Chicago

Damn you, Charter, my picture better be back for the start of overtime!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/31/13 at 01:57 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

2:00 to go

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/31/13 at 01:58 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Detroit fans showing a thousand times more heart than their team.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/31/13 at 01:58 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

This looks like a Lions game

Little Redhead's avatar