Abel to Yzerman

Monday Morning Wings

Kenny Holland's always said, "sixteen teams are trying to make the playoffs in this man's league and trades are much, much harder in early October than, say, mid-to-late October, so we'll kick tires then, but if you're one of those sixteen teams around the American Columbus Day, I think you've got a real good shot, a real good shot, of being there come April."

I think George is under the weather and I have time, while I observe this Columbus Day, to provide you some even-handed reaction to the Deep Diggers' overnight dispatches.

Dylan Larkin has decided he now likes playing center, and he'd like to echo Kenny Holland's sentiments about keeping children away from the NHL

“It’s something where we don’t want to be looked at as kids,” Larkin said. “We want to play like men and produce.
“It’s time definitely.”

He's talking about fellow men, Anthony Mantha and Martin Frk.

He's not talking about Andreas Athanasiou, because Kenny won't let him play yet.

Meanwhile, Jeff Blashill thought long and hard before dropping this gem.

“We need Larkin to have a great year, we need Mantha to have a great year, because they’re going to garner a lot of ice time,” Blashill said. “When you get lots of ice time, there’s a lot of responsibility that comes with that.
“They’ll have a big say in how our season goes.”

Garner. Good word. Not your typical Blash predicate, a little more advanced than what we're used to. Nice work.

Speaking of petulant children and tough-guy GMs who refuse to budge, Khan(!) claims a trade isn't happening because Tick Tock doesn't want to give any other future RFAs the idea that just because they can't stand their coach, they can just, you know, leave.

The Red Wings aren’t inclined to trade the fast-skating forward unless they get a tremendous offer (top-four defenseman, similar young forward with high upside) and that isn’t likely to happen. The club also is concerned about the message a trade would send to other young players who are up for contracts in the near future, that if they don’t get what they want the Red Wings will also accomodate them with a move."

More on that and on some Dong and on the Wings first trip to Vegas. No word on whether Jiri Hudler will be meeting them there.

Uh oh. Hadn't read this.  Apparently PETA, in all their squishy, tearful glory, had offered stuffed octopi to fans who wanted to toss a child's toy in the direction of the LCA ice Thursday night.  Nice gesture, but no thanks. Not gonna happen, said Nick Horvath.

Horvath said he was the last to throw an octopus at Joe Louis Arena.

Although he knew PETA was offering toy octopuses to throw, he said no.

"What's the big deal?" he asked. "I didn't care."

On Thursday, Horvath walked from his seat towards the ice, where security saw the clear bag he was carrying.

"He tried to stop me from throwing it and I powered through him," he said. "I powered through him, I got it right over top of him but he had me right away."

He said not only was he thrown out of the game, but he was also hit with a court order for throwing an octopus on the playing area.

The City of Detroit says it's unlawful for anyone to throw any object that could cause injury or damage at an athletic event.
In the Little Caesars Arena guidebook under prohibited items, it says nothing about octopuses.

PETA officials, staked out at a Birmingham Toys R Us location, surrounded by teddy bears and Muppets, refused to comment.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

“but if you’re one of those sixteen teams around the American Columbus Day, I think you’ve got a real good shot, a real good shot, of being there come April.”

The benchmark for playoff contention is American Thanksgiving not Columbus Day. Seven weeks into the season makes more sense than one week after the start. I don’t put a lot of value in this measuring stick but the numbers do suggest an 80-85% accuracy rate. The pack between 3rd and 11th in each conference is usually very tight even after the New Year and sometimes up to the trade deadline.

After two games, I like the line of Mantha-Larkin-Frk. Chemistry seems to be developing. With Green coming into UFA status next summer, he seems to have channeled some extra motivation. Playing well overall. I’m not a big Blashill fan but he does have the team playing pretty good puck support and o-zone time. So kudos to him.

Posted by Coach Tarasov from the Grave on 10/09/17 at 07:48 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

“They’ll have a big say in how our season goes.”

Sooooo….. how does he explain Sheahan, Glendening, Helm and Ericsson?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/09/17 at 07:52 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

The benchmark for playoff contention is American Thanksgiving not Columbus Day

Irony is hard shut eye

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/09/17 at 07:56 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

The benchmark for playoff contention is American Thanksgiving not Columbus Day.

Welcome to A2Y.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/09/17 at 08:23 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by Coach Tarasov from the Grave on 10/09/17 at 07:48 AM ET

um, ... your first trip here?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/09/17 at 09:34 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Can someone post the Master Chief isms. 101? Tanx

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 10/09/17 at 10:02 AM ET

KH, you’d be better off trying to unload a bad contract coupled to AA than trying to get a high pick for him. You’re already in cap trouble so unless you get a high pick you almost couldn’t sign anyone. Be sure Ken not to anger the GM/owner brotherhood, because I’d personally offer sheet him and take him away from you, especially if my team wasn’t doing well and I was on the hot seat. Probably shouldn’t tell you this Ken, but if I’m AA I’m signing a one year deal at the last minute because I can live with roughly live through three and a half months rather than a full season because I’m stuck there.

Posted by stateofmifan on 10/09/17 at 10:21 AM ET

can roughly live through…

Posted by stateofmifan on 10/09/17 at 10:25 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I missed the game.  Was in Kalamazoo watching KWings/Walleye preseason hockey while also keeping a close eye on UM-MSU, and then came home to find power was out (thus missing the end of the football game).

This certainly is not where I expected the Wings to be at in the standings right now (or at any point in the season even).

54 to 12.

Posted by Primis on 10/09/17 at 10:27 AM ET

Paul's avatar

c_n, here is the A2Y Glossary.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/09/17 at 10:45 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

54 to 12.

I see what you did there, Primis, and I dig it.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/09/17 at 10:53 AM ET

If Montreal keeps stumbling, they’ll probably submit an offer sheet for AA.

Posted by stateofmifan on 10/09/17 at 10:56 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Thanks emperor. The glossary is for coach Tarasov who does not understand the Master Chiefs M O.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 10/09/17 at 12:00 PM ET

That must be why Mantha and Frk and 8th and 10th in ice time.

But hey, when you’ve got one line responsible for four of the team’s five goals so far, why would you want to give them more ice time?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/09/17 at 01:36 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Coach Tarasov from the Grave on 10/09/17 at 07:48 AM ET

Welcome to the club. We will relentlessly make fun of you in this thread, of course, but truly, welcome. Read the glossary and stick around, we’re a bunch of weirdos but we mean no harm.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/09/17 at 02:54 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/09/17 at 02:54 PM ET

He lies.  You will continue to be made fun of beyond this thread.  Probably.  Maybe.  For sure.

Welcome to A2Y.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/09/17 at 08:23 AM E

Welcome to A2Y: where the rules are made up and the points don’t matter, just like Riley Sheahan’s goals.

Posted by Primis on 10/09/17 at 03:37 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/09/17 at 02:54 PM ET

Welcome.  Check your liver and your manners at the door.  Also… If your skin is thin…. May I recommend MLive?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 10/09/17 at 04:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

May I recommend MLive?

That’s awful.  I wouldn’t recommend MLive to my worst enemies.

Posted by Primis on 10/09/17 at 04:16 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

May I recommend MLive?

Not for me. I left that den of idiots a couple years ago and never looked back.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/09/17 at 05:52 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Happy Birthday, Captain Z!  wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/09/17 at 06:31 PM ET

“Spasiba” for the many welcomes, comrades. I have posted here before but it has been a while ago. And that’s no fake news!

As for Les Habitants de Montreale, they are a mess. Take away Carey Price and they are not much of a team. In a desperate move, I can see them extending an offer sheet to Athanasiou just as “stateofmifan” suggested, knowing that the Wings cant match. It might even crank up the rivalry between Detroit and Montreal a bit. The only celebration on Ste. Catherine’s Street next Spring will be when Ogilvy Dept. Store has its Winter Clearance Blowout Sale.

Posted by Coach Tarasov from the Grave on 10/10/17 at 07:41 AM ET