Abel to Yzerman

Mock Draft Picks For The Detroit Red Wings

NHL.com did a mock draft, here are their picks for the Wings...

Kimelman -- Quintin Hughes, D, Michigan (BIG10): His ability to control the game far exceeds any questions about his size (5-9, 170). He's a dazzling skater and puck-handler with a hard, accurate shot from the point. The Red Wings should be able to stay in-state to fill a major organizational need.

Morreale -- Evan Bouchard, D, London (OHL): The big (6-2, 193) right-shot defenseman tied for seventh in the OHL with 87 points (25 goals, 62 assists); he's the first defenseman to finish in the top 10 in the league since Ryan Ellis of Windsor in 2010-11 (101 points, tied for fourth). David Gregory of NHL Central Scouting said Bouchard is "the prototypical new-millennium defenseman" NHL teams want.

Lepage -- Hughes: Although he has a few shortcomings, mostly his defensive play, he has the potential to become a star. Red Wings fans will appreciate his on-ice vision and instincts.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

granted, I haven’t seen any of these prospects play but, why do people think the Wings are going after another Dman ??

How many are in the “pipeline” now and are these kids better than ALL of them ??

Playing another hunch but I’ll go out on a limb and say they trade up to #2 and take Svechnikov’s brother.

Good D is one thing ... fast forwards that can put the puck in the net consistently is another.

Everyone says its a deep draft and you can’t go wrong no matter where you pick from in the first round so, looking at the back-log we have a the D position, I’m thinking they go with a forward first.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 06/04/18 at 03:24 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

We might have a backlog, but I don’t think any of them are #1 dmen in the making (and I could be very very wrong…we might not know for another 5 years).  Most of our dmen seem to be 5/6/7 type guys…we don’t need any more of those.

In my opinion, I’d rather see us draft a highly touted Dman with our first pick and see if we can pick up Forwards in the later rounds.  After the top 10 picks or so, it’s sort of a shot in dark who will be an elite NHL player and who will be a bust.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/04/18 at 03:54 PM ET

I think it’s fair to say both Hughes and Bouchard are better than anyone currently in the pipeline.  Especially when to consider the ceiling of these 2 vs current prospects. Defense is a position of critical need for this team.

Posted by Steve1306 on 06/04/18 at 03:59 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I agree. That’s the way to go. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 06/04/18 at 08:44 PM ET

This is exactly what I want to see. I’d be okay if they moved up to take Zadina, but other than that grab Defence. We’ll have 30/31, 33, and 36 to take forwards, this was The Hockey News final rankings in that general area:
25. Rasmus Kupari, C, Karpat (Fin.)
26. K’Andre Miller, D, U.S. NTDP (USHL)
27. Martin Kaut, RW, Dynamo Pardubice (Cze.)
28. Dominik Bokk, RW, Vaxjo (SHL)
29. Serron Noel, RW, Oshawa (OHL)
30. Sampo Ranta, LW, Sioux City (USHL)
31. Mattias Samuelsson, D, U.S. NTDP (USHL)
32. Ryan Merkley, D, Guelph (OHL)
33. Benoit-Olivier Groulx, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
34. Jared McIsaac, D, Halifax (QMJHL)
35. Scott Perunovich, D, Minnesota-Duluth (NCHC)
36. Jonatan Berggren, C, Skelleftea (SHL)
37. Jakub Lauko, C, Pirati Chomutov (Cze.)
38. Filip Johansson, D, Leksand (Swe.)
39. Jacob Bernard-Docker, D, Okotoks (AJHL)
40. Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping (Swe.)

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/05/18 at 07:17 AM ET

Colin's avatar

I’ll take a Ryan Merkley and B-O Groulx with a side of Jonatan Berggren.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 06/05/18 at 07:49 AM ET

Colin's avatar

And at #6, Give me Bouchard.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 06/05/18 at 07:50 AM ET

Primis's avatar

The more I hear about Hughes and his defensive failings, God no, not him.  We don’t need yet another Brendan Smith.

He sounds more and more like an offensive d-man with no defensive game.

Obviously they need the “D” but again I’ll say if Wahlstrom is there, the Wings are gonna’ regret not taking him I think and taking a 2nd tier d-man instead.

Take the Best Player Available.

Posted by Primis on 06/05/18 at 08:19 AM ET

There prospect pool certainly isn’t “full” when it comes to defensemen. Until they find a true number 1 they have to keep trying to find one. Their best chance is to take one with that first pick. Hell,, they don’t even have someone capable of being a #2 yet. Over the next couple years we SHOULD see a complete makeover of the Wings defense as contracts expire. I don’t think they have to worry about having too many prospects.

From all the rumblings it doesn’t look like the Wings will move up any higher than #3. Brother Svech looks like he is headed to Ottawa.

Posted by evileye on 06/05/18 at 08:33 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Take the Best Player Available.
Posted by Primis on 06/05/18 at 09:19 AM ET

This. It’s the whole point of a drafting system.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 06/05/18 at 09:36 AM ET

We don’t need yet another Brendan Smith.

They also don’t need another Manny Legace, so I guess they shouldn’t draft a goalie. And they don’t need another Justin Abdelkader, so forwards are out, too.

Maybe they should just draft a tight end.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/05/18 at 12:12 PM ET