Abel to Yzerman
by Paul on 11/16/13 at 10:26 AM ET
RedMenace is taking the day off today so you have me for this post.
DETROIT RED WINGS VS NEW YORK ISLANDERS
- Tonight is the 98th all-time meeting between DET and NYI
- Tonight marks the 1st of 3 meetings this season between DET and NYI, 1st of 2 in NYI
- DET’s all-time record vs. NYI: 46-44-6-1
- DET’s all-time road record at NYI: 20-25-4-0
- DET is 4-4-1-1 in its last 10 games vs. NYI
- DET has lost 4 straight to NYI (last win: 1/30/07, DET 4 at NYI 3 OT)
- DET’s last regulation win at NYI: 10/13/01, DET 5, NYI 4
- Daniel Alfredsson has 56 points (17-39-56) in 59 games vs. NYI
- Todd Bertuzzi has 14 points (6-8-14) in 13 games vs. NYI
- Bertuzzi was originally drafted by NYI (1st round, 23rd overall, 1993) and had 80 points (35-45-80) in 192 games with the team from
- Pavel Datsyuk has 5 points (0-5-5) in 7 games vs. NYI
- NYI is 1 of 2 teams (TOR) that Datsyuk has not scored against
- Jonas Gustavsson is 2-1-1 with a 1.72 GAA, .929 SV% and 1 SO in 4 games vs. NYI
- Tomas Tatar scored vs. NYI in his NHL debut on 12/31/10
- NYI D Brian Strait played for the US National Development Team from 2004-06
RED WINGS TEAM AND PLAYER NOTES
- Henrik Zetterberg is T10th in the NHL with 21 points (10-11-21)
- Pavel Datsyuk is T14th in the NHL with 20 points (9-11-20)
- Niklas Kronwall is T13th among NHL D with 11 points (1-10-11)
- Zetterberg is T10th in the NHL with 10 goals
- Zetterberg is T7th in the NHL with 75 shots
- Datsyuk is 1st in the NHL with 31 takeaways
- Todd Bertuzzi and Datsyuk are T14th in the NHL with 3 PPGs
- Danny DeKeyser is the only rookie in the league with a SH goal
- DeKeyser is T9th in rookie scoring with 8 points (2-6-8) (2nd among rookie D)
- Justin Abdelkader is 9th in the NHL with 60 hits
- DET has lost its last 11 home OT games, the longest streak in the NHL since 1986-87
- Jonas Gustavsson was the NHL’s First Star for the week ending 10/20
- Gustavsson won three games in four days for the 1st time in his career (10/14-10/17)
- Gustavsson won his first-ever start at JLA (with TOR or DET) on 10/15
- Gustavsson’s 38 saves on 10/17 at COL were his 4th-highest total in his NHL career
- DET averages the 3rd-fewest PIM in the NHL at 8.6 (1. NJ –7.9; 2. CHI –8.3)
- Dan Cleary passed John Ogrodnick on 11/12 to take 28th in franchise history with 558 games played
- Jimmy Howard is tied with Normie Smith, Glenn Hall and Hap Holmes at 17 SO for 6th in DET history
- Pavel Datsyuk's 2 goals 11/12 tied Nick Lidstrom (264) for 10th in DET history
- Niklas Kronwall is 1 assist shy of tying Kris Draper and Dale McCourt (203) for 25th in DET history
- Henrik Zetterberg’s next SHG will make him the 10th player in DET history to reach double-digit SHG
- Tonight is Pavel Datsyuk’s 800th NHL game (14th Red Wing to reach 800 games)
- Kyle Quincey –300th NHL game, 10/15 vs. CBJ
- Quincey –100th NHL point, 10/30 at VAN
- Niklas Kronwall –200th NHL assist, 11/1 at CGY
- Mike Babcock –800th NHL game as head coach, 11/1 at CGY
- Stephen Weiss –250th NHL assist, 11/4 vs. WPG
- Justin Abdelkader –2 PIM to 200
- Weiss –3 points to 400, 3 goals to 150
- Daniel Alfredsson –3 games played to 1,200
- Henrik Zetterberg –7 points to 700
THIS DATE IN RED WINGS HISTORY
November 16, 1977 –In a game played at Olympia Stadium, the Red Wings destroy the St. Louis Blues 10-1 in the team’s most lopsided victory of the season.
ON THE FARM
The Grand Rapids Griffins won their 8th game in their last 9 after with a 5-3 home win over the Rockford IceHogs. Tomas Jurco scored a hat trick and Gustav Nyquist assisted on all of his goals. Teemu Pulkkinen and Jeff Hoggan also scored for GR. Petr Mrazek improved to 4-2-1 with 26 saves. Nyquist is now T4th in the AHL with 20 points (7-13-20) in 14 games. Jurco is T9th with 17 points (8-9- 17). Next Game: 11/16 at Chicago Wolves
NEW YORK ISLANDERS
The Islanders conclude a three-game homestand tonight against the Detroit Red Wings. It's the first of three meetings this season between the clubs and Detroit's first of two Coliseum visits in 14 days. The Isles are 5-0-1 in their last six games against Detroit and have not been beaten in regulation by the Red Wings since Black Friday, 2003.
ALL TIME ISLANDERS VS. RED WINGS:
All-Time Record: 45-44-8
Last Regulation Win: 1/10/12 - NYI 5 vs. DET 1
Last Regulation Loss: 11/28/03 - NYI 0 at DET 6
Overtime Record (W-L-T): 4-2-4
Last Overtime Decision: 1/30/07 - NYI 3 vs. DET 4
Shootout Record: 0-0
Last Shootout: None
NHL Scoring Race: John Tavares is tied for third place in the NHL scoring race with 23 points (8g/15a); he's two points off the league
lead. Frans Nielsen is tied for 11th with 21 points (9g/12a), while Kyle Okposo is tied for 16th place in the league with 20 points
Streaking: John Tavares is on a four-game point and assist streak (1g/5a).
Crucial Kills: The Islanders are 1-8-2 when they allow at least one power play goal and 6-2-1 when they do not.
Need For 3: The Isles are 7-1-2 when they score at least three goals and are 0-9-1 when they do not.
One-Goal Games: Thirteen of the Islanders' 20 games this season have been decided by one goal (4-6-3).
Comeback Kids: The Isles have trailed at some point in four of their seven wins this season, including all three of their road victories.
Under Capuano: The Islanders are 91-93-30 under Head Coach Jack Capuano. He ranks second on the Islanders all-time list in both
games coached (215) and wins (91), behind Al Arbour (1,500 coached, 740 wins).
Shot Blocker: Andrew MacDonald leads the NHL with 73 blocked shots. Last season he tied for third in the league with 123 blocks,
two shy of the leader.
Heavy Hitter: Matt Martin leads the NHL with 91 hits. He's led the league in hits in each of the last two seasons. In 2011-12, Martin's
374 hits marked the highest total since hits became an official stat in 2005-06.
Career Wins: Evgeni Nabokov's 340 career victories rank 18th on the NHL all time wins list. Nabokov ranks 19th all time in shutouts
with 55, two behind Clint Benedict.
Rookies: The Islanders 23-man roster features three rookies: Matt Donovan and Brock Nelson and Aaron Ness.
Captains: John Tavares was named the 14th captain in Islanders history on Sep. 9. Andrew MacDonald was named an alternate
captain Oct. 1. Kyle Okposo is in his fifth season as alternate captain.
Active Iron-Man Streak: John Tavares leads the Islanders with 227 consecutive regular-season games played. Other notable active
streaks include Frans Nielsen (150) and Kyle Okposo (133).
TOI Leaders: The Islanders record when the following player leads the team in Time On Ice:
Andrew MacDonald (6-8-2)
Travis Hamonic (1-2-1)
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Abel to Yzerman
Welcome to Abel to Yzerman, a Red Wing blog since 1977. No other site on the internet has better-researched, fact-laden and better prepared discussions than A2Y. Re-phrase: we do little research, find facts and stats highly overrated and claim little to no preparation. There are 19 readers of A2Y. No more, no less. All of them, except maybe one, are juvenile in nature. Reminding them of that in the comment section will only encourage them to prove that. Your suggestions and critiques are welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org