Abel to Yzerman

Melting Down In St. Lose

Watching Blues fans’ reactions to a terrible team is entertaining, and it’s never gotten old over the years.  Watching them completely implode after a loss to Detroit, on the heels of a winning streak, when they’ve convinced themselves the teams are actually…equals?

It’s the best kind of family fun. And the St. Louis media isn’t helping.  Detroit’s pasting of the January stalwarts led to an entire column of questions from Bernie Miklasz at the Post Dispatch.

The Blues are a really good team, but can they take down the proven elite?

I guess we’ll know in the playoffs, when the true answers come in. But the three consecutive losses in Detroit were alarming for the way they went down. It’s almost as if the Red Wings could do whatever the hell they wanted to do after flipping a switch, and the Blues had no answer once the Red Wings decided to assert themselves. (Message: Not so fast, little brother.) And that was the case in Monday’s 3-1 loss in Motown. After taking a 2-0 lead at Joe Louis Arena on Dec. 27, the Blues were outscored 9-1 by the Red Wings in the three losses. Feel free to try and put some shine on that to make it look good, but it isn’t good. And what does it mean? There’s still work to do. Then again, many of us knew that already.

Ouch. Especially the “little brother” reference.  Oh, and, finding out in the playoffs is kinda contingent on, you know, getting there.  With that (lack of) offense, that’s no guarantee.

For the record, Jeff Gordon added an “all is well…the Wings are just awesome” note to somehow bring the Blues fans off the ledge.

The Red Wings are still the Red Wings. And at Joe Louis Arena, they are nearly unbeatable.

That is all Blues fans should take from Monday night’s 3-1 loss. Some of the postgame reaction among local hockey fans seemed a bit overwrought under the circumstances.

No idea why they were even “overwrought” in the first place.  They lost because it’s what the Blues do, especially in Detroit.  It’s a decree from the babbling manger miracle.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

Bitter. Butt hurt. Blues.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/25/12 at 04:32 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Watched their game tonight against the Pens. It looked like a playoff game, really good pace. The most interesting part of the game was when Barret Jackman may or may not have dove face first in to the boards.  hard to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQICq9sYBIQ

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/25/12 at 04:52 AM ET

ouch. st louis getting the u of m treatment is rough.

Posted by eeyup on 01/25/12 at 04:53 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

I realize this is off topic to this post and I apologize but I need to consult the 19: I’m going to be in Chicago for the next two days starting tomorrow and I’m looking for one of the many Michigan bars I’ve heard that exist to watch the game tomorrow. I’ve searched online and seem to have found a couple but I figure I’d ask and see if anyone is able to help with suggestions.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 01/25/12 at 06:09 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Thanks for posting that vid of Jackman diving. I didn’t watch the game. Is it possible on this one play I actually feel bad for Matt Cooke? Reputation call + bad dive = BBB PP

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/25/12 at 10:42 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

The Dogs of Dumb.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/25/12 at 11:18 AM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by stayouttamalibu from Temporarily in Tempe, AZ on 01/25/12 at 03:09 AM ET

When I lived there, i watched games at the Gin Mill on Lincoln. Great bar for watching the Wings but it sucked at all other times. I heard it might be closed, but I’m not sure, it’s been years since I’ve been there.

I heard about another place, Matilda’s on Sheffield, that is a UM bar, probably a decent place to check out.

Good luck!

Posted by awould on 01/25/12 at 12:52 PM ET

Not even Red Berensen and Scotty Bowman can help that franchise.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/25/12 at 03:57 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Malibu, I’ll be at hi tops (the old gin mill), we always go there to watch the wings, the issue is that the two best wings bars in the city (hi tops and tin lizzie) are also MSU bars, and theres a game at 730 cst (hour after the wings), I’ll have tvs on both at hi tops, but the sound might switched to MSU, depends on the crowd.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 01/25/12 at 06:53 PM ET

Guy Legend's avatar

St. Lose, that’s a good one coming from Detoilet….rolleyes

Perhaps the worst posting I’ve seen on Kuklas page in the years I’ve been here.

Posted by Guy Legend on 01/25/12 at 09:26 PM ET