Abel to Yzerman

Lidstrom-less Day 1 Ditties

No, I’m not going to do this every day.  But I am interested in seeing how long it will take for the rest of us to transition from tear-soaked to a 12 in ‘13 mentality.  Kenny’s 30 Critical Days of Summer starts in exactly one month and I plan to spend most of it stressing about how hard I’ll vomit if we don’t get What We’re Owed.

First, this: James Mirtle reported this morning that the cap is now 70.3 million dollars.  That leaves the Wings with 26 to spend.

That’s a lot of money to throw at people who I want to be Detroit Red Wings.  A lot of frigging money, sister.  Let’s spend some, eh?

8 million per year for 7 years for one Ryan Suter.
8 million per year for 7 years for one Zach Parise.
4 million per year for 2 years for one Josh Harding.
5 million per year for 4 years for Justin Schultz

That’s 25 million. See? I didn’t spend it all, Dad.

Oh, but if I wanted to?

Teams are also permitted to spend 10 per cent more than the cap during the off-season, meaning a really ambitious GM could spend $77.3-million or so before having to get under the eventual cap on the final day of training camp.

Hell, throw a Penner in there if you want. As long as Parise’s there too.

Because here’s the thing.  I understand that Suter and Parise may re-sign with Bubba and Jersey. I get that and while it would be disappointing, it wouldn’t make me angry.  Loyalty’s cool.  Yesterday should have underscored that.  But if they choose to leave?

“Twenty-nine other teams have got the same desire that we’ve got.”

That’s Kenny Holland, and no shits will be given about the other 29 teams. None.  A statement like that is doing nothing but setting the stage for something like this on July 5th:  “The price was too high. We couldn’t match what Chicago/San Jose/Pittsburgh/whoever was offering. 9 million was too high.”

No it’s not. You’re Ken Holland and you make it work.  Suter and Parise are, allegedly, BFFs. Hello….package deal. Package fuching deal, Kenny.

Here’s what you do when you’re the GM of the Detroit Red Wings and you have holes to fill, money to spend and one month to prepare for it: whatever the hell it takes.

If

Weber

SUTER SUTER SUTER leaves Nashville, he’d better land in Detroit. If Parise leaves Jersey, he’d better land in Detroit.  If either of them sign elsewhere, Ken Holland failed.

Khan(!!!!)

Holland can’t comment on potential free-agent targets, but it’s no secret that Nashville Predators star Ryan Suter is at the top of their wish list for July 1.

After Suter, the free-agent pool for defensemen thins considerably. Alternatives include Dennis Wideman (Washington), Jason Garrison (Florida), Matt Carle (Philadelphia) Filip Kuba (Ottawa), Barret Jackman (St. Louis) and potential college free agent Justin Schultz.

If I see a signing of any one of those instead of Suter, I’m throwing a tantrum like you’ve never seen. It will be embarrassing for a 43-year-old military professional to act the way I’ll act, but I’ll do it.  Yes, we want Schultz, but not INSTEAD of Suter.  In tandem with Suter. Get it?

All of it. All of them. Everyone we want. It’s all we’re asking for Kenny.  Suter, Parise, Schultz.  And a backup goalie.  Josh Harding will do.

And don’t act all victimized about it Kenny. You set the bar a long time ago.  Money to burn. Holes to fill. Cups to win.  Back to business.  Tick Frigging Tock.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I’ve already moved on, its June 1 which means the Wings have 30 days to figure out what their plan is in free agency. I’m also prepared for the likelihood that Suter or Parise will not sign with Detroit. They’re going to be sought after by every team with cap room to fit them in. Its not a slam dunk that both or even either one of them will be wearing a Wings jersey next year…so I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment.

If there’s a season next year, it’ll probably be the highest probability the Wings miss the playoffs since their streak started. This team will need to find a new identity and find one fast.

Posted by Jeremy from Toledo, OH on 06/01/12 at 12:44 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I like the idea of Harding as our backup and signing Schultz too, but pay Harding almost double that of Howie? And giving a college free agent $5 mill a year? Like I said, great idea, but I don’t necessarily agree with those numbers.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 06/01/12 at 12:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

$5M per year on a college kid who’s never played a day in the big boys league?

Chief, you’ve been at sea too long.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/01/12 at 12:53 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Was that a typo? You want to sign a backup goalie for 8 million dollars?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/01/12 at 12:54 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I ripped off my rear view mirror years ago. I am there exactly NOW.

But Imma hold off judging Holland, until there either IS or IS NOT a parade in Motown after the next season, whenever that is. He can’t win a Cup this July, nor can he lose one. But it would be real nice to see him stock the bar with some top shelf talent, no doubt.

Who actually thought that either of this years SCF participants had a snowball’s chance in South Hell of playing for the Cup last summer?

Posted by dougie on 06/01/12 at 01:07 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I’ll join the chorus.

No way in hell Kenny pays a back-up more than he pays James Tiberius, let alone $4mill. Kenny’s Salary Cap Rule #1: never spend money on goaltending.

Nor would Kenny pay that kind of money to a college kid.

TPH is gone and Stuie is likely headed back to NoCal. That’s half of our top 4 D. I hope that Stuie has a sense of loyalty to the Wings, that he realizes what his departure (on top of TPH’s retirement) would do to the Wings, and that, therefore, he chooses to stay. But Kenny can’t rely on hope. I’m sure Kenny is planning on replacing two top four D men.

I hope he tries for both Suter and Carle. Carle is a long-shot; the hockey punditry seems to think he’ll resign with Philly, but he’s certainly worth some back-channel (non-tampering) communications to see if he’s interested.

Beyond Suter and Carle, I say go for Bryan Allen. He’s not the offensive defenseman that Wideman is, but then there’s the huge problem that Wideman’s defensive skills are patently offensive. Allen is a solid stay at home guy who is also 5” taller and 25lbs heavier than Wideman

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/01/12 at 01:11 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

He can’t win a Cup this July, nor but he can lose one.
Posted by dougie on 06/01/12 at 12:07 PM ET

Fixed.

If Kenny doesn’t give Uncle Mike a team capable of winning the Cup, he most certainly can lose one this July.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/01/12 at 01:14 PM ET

Al Montoya is going to be available. He’s young-ish and wouldn’t cost nearly as much as Harding. He’s been pretty solid with the Islanders.

Posted by Moocat on 06/01/12 at 01:29 PM ET

dougie's avatar

And all those teams deemed capable of winning the Cup last September?

Golfing, one and all.

I don’t recall even one person stating the case for LA or NJ the day before the playoffs started.

That’s all I am saying. I want to see a roster upgrade just as badly as you do, Cap’n.

Posted by dougie on 06/01/12 at 01:33 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Weber and Parise are, allegedly, BFFs

Think ya have Weber confused with Suter….

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/01/12 at 01:38 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Kenny’s 30 Critical Days of Summer

I’ll up the ante, this is the Legacy of Ken Summer.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 06/01/12 at 01:38 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Think ya have Weber confused with Suter….

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 06/01/12 at 12:38 PM ET

Fixed. And that’s now the tenth time I’ve done that.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/01/12 at 01:47 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Yes, the numbers on Harding are high.

As for Schultz, somebody’s gonna pay that kid money like that. Watch. I hope it’s us.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/01/12 at 01:50 PM ET

4 million per year for 2 years for one Josh Harding.
5 million per year for 4 years for Justin Schultz

Are you so pissed about Lidstrom retiring that you somehow want to punish the Wings more by having them fail?

$9M for a goalie that Howard can platoon with and an unproven college player who’s dick enough to not sign with the team that drafted him?

How about a cheap, legit backup and another top four d-man for less than that?

Then maybe we could afford to keep Helm and Abdelkader too.

Posted by Garth on 06/01/12 at 01:59 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I already said the numbers for Harding were high. I’ll say it again for you: the numbers for Harding were high.  And I’ll repeat this too: somebody’s gonna pay Schultz that money and we have a serious need for that kind of talent.  If you read past the “dick enough” portion of the reports on him you’ll see he’s worth it.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/01/12 at 02:03 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Counting down to July 1st.

Time to move ahead.  Let’s go Red Wings!!!!

Harding as backup…I like it.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 06/01/12 at 02:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Somebody paid Christian Ehrhoff $10M this season. That doesn’t make it a good idea.

Doesn’t matter anyway, Schutlz’s entry-level deal will be 2 years and has a max base salary of $925K. Signing and performance bonuses can get him up to $3.725M

Even if the Wings wanted to pay him more they couldn’t (unless the new CBA says they can and I don’t believe that’s going to happen.)

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/01/12 at 02:08 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

And all those teams deemed capable of winning the Cup last September?
Golfing, one and all.
Posted by dougie on 06/01/12 at 12:33 PM ET

My point, poorly made, is that a GM can lose the Cup in July if he fails to assemble a team capable of winning it all. Once he assembles a team capable of winning it all, there is no more a GM can do and it’s all on the coaches,  players and lady luck. Obviously, only one team can actually win it.

Hypothetically, If Kenny stands pat and goes with a youth movment on defense this summer and as a result, the team gives up over 3 goals a game during the season, is the failure to make or go far in the playoffs next season Kenny’s fault or the fault of Uncle Mike and the players? Kenny’s obviously. That’s what I meant by Kenny can lose the Cup in July.

As for the Kings, 4 of ESPN’s 12 “experts” picked them over the Cannucks, as did Dan Patrick. 4 of 12 picked the Kings over the Blose. And 10 of 12 picked the Kings over the yotes. So at least to some of the “experts,” the Kings didn’t come out of no where.

The Kings were the #3 seed with 48 hours to go in the regular season; that’s how tight the Pacific was. And the Pacific was almost as tough as the Central this year. Living out here and getting a lot more Kings coverage, firing Murray and hiring Sutter really turned this team around. They were 11-4-1 in March, while the Wings were 4-8-2. Getting rid of Mr. Potential, Jack Johnson, for Jeff Carter at the trade deadline was one of those addition by subtraction deals that made the club better on and off the ice.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/01/12 at 02:32 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

I’m not sure “dick enough” is valid. After all it is the Ducks. Just sayin’

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 06/01/12 at 02:37 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

If Weber leaves Nashville, he’d better land in Detroit.

I would assume you once again meant Suter, but it doesn’t make the sentence incorrect.

Hell, throw head-meet-glass into the mix as well.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/01/12 at 02:49 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I have no idea why you would want to contradict my opinions with actual facts. There is absolutely no place for that in this forum. You must be a lawyer:-)

Posted by dougie on 06/01/12 at 02:53 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

If Weber leaves Nashville, he’d better land in Detroit.

Hell, throw head-meet-glass into the mix as well.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Lidstrom’s head telling him 1 more year on 06/01/12 at 01:49

JFC…I need to do a find and replace deal every time I post about Suter/Weber.  I have no idea why I keep boning that.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/01/12 at 03:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Weber has a way of getting into people’s heads.

Sometimes forcibly.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/01/12 at 03:06 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by dougie on 06/01/12 at 01:53 PM ET

You are absolutey right. My bad.

The league said the cap number for next season under the soon to expire CBA is $70mil. However, uninformed speculators sources say the league wants to shift the revenue split from the current 57%-43% (favoring the players) to 50-50 (like the NBA and NFL). Even though the size of the pie is increasing, decreasing the % of the pie that the players receive will result in a salary cap of less than $70mil.

It will be interesting to see how much cap room Kenny leaves after signing free agents. My guess is he will be very conservative.

Lil’ Gary and Don Fehr, if you are reading this, here is how you settle this without a lockout or strike. Face it Don, the owners are going to take a hard line and get their 50-50 split; they played hardball and won last time and they’re willing to do it again. It all comes down to what will you get in return that you can sell to the players. What do your players hate most about the current CBA? The escrow clause. Right now, the players get a bigger percentage of the pie, but they act as guarantors of the owners’ share by paying into the escrow account. Tell Lil’ Gary that you’ll agree to the 50-50 split in exchange for the elimination of the escrow fund so that the owners bear the risk of actual revenue not meeting the revenue projections that the cap is based upon.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/01/12 at 03:11 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Do not know what you are smoking chief - but it ain’t gonna happen the way you demand it happen. In a world with no competition - maybe it does.There are other great pieces out there - Nash, Iginla, Kessler, Brent Burns, Gonchar. There are other alternatives for Kenny to piece together a great plan.

Posted by joedaiceman on 06/01/12 at 03:40 PM ET

awould's avatar

Helm and Abdelkader are RFA so that $26MM must fit them as well. I could live without Abdelkader if it were for a good reason, but Helm must be signed.

Posted by awould on 06/01/12 at 03:42 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Jonas Gustavsson will be available - might be a good backup option who could be had for dirt cheap.  The guy has the tools to be a Number 1 in the right situation.

Posted by BrendonR on 06/01/12 at 04:01 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by awould on 06/01/12 at 02:42 PM ET

The $26mil cap space is based on a $70.3mill cap computed under the CBA that expires this September. Anybody who thinks the actual cap for the 2012-2013 season under the new CBA is going to be $70.3 mill or higher is living in fantasy land.

WTF were the owners and players thinking having the CBA expire on the eve of training camp rather than immediately after the season finishes, say June 15th? It makes no sense to have a free agency period, have teams and players sign all these contracts and then change the rules before the season starts.

Remember how ugly it was after the last lockout? Salary rollbacks. Players like McCarty getting released to get down to the cap. I don’t think Kenny wants to go through that again. I’ll be shocked if he spends more than $22mil and I bet he only spends $20mil.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/01/12 at 04:06 PM ET

If the new CBA is agreed to with a 50/50 split of revenue, the cap will stay at the current level it is today, maybe a tick higher. That will make the dream of Parise and Suter together nearly impossible. Ken can’t go into this summer looking to spend $70 mil and then be forced to buy out contracts for some players.

Posted by Jeremy from Toledo, OH on 06/01/12 at 04:17 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think I’d rather Kenny act as though the salary cap is going to be $70M and that any CBA adjustments made to the players’ share (which I’m not personally convinced will actually happen) will also come with an across-the-board roll of current players’ salaries which will leave everybody at basically the same percentage of cap space taken.

The rumors of the league wanting a 50/50 split are completely believable, but so are the rumors that there are six NHL teams which cannot financially survive a lockout.

I don’t believe the league is going to get close to that kind of salary concession from the players.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/01/12 at 04:23 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m gonna wait and see.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/01/12 at 04:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m gonna wait and see.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Michigan, now in Flori-duh on 06/01/12 at 03:38 PM ET

Me also.  Hand wringing and finger pointing are much easier from my recliner, beer in one hand - cheddar in the other, after this is all over.  I’ve had enough stress already this year and we’re not even half way through.

Posted by calquake on 06/01/12 at 05:22 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Damn Chief…you’re 43?

My wife just turned 42…something seemed right about that birthday.

I’ll wait the three years for mine.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 06/01/12 at 06:10 PM ET

monkey's avatar

We wait, we see, then we criticize after the fact.

Also, this year started out really well, for me at least, and now it’s really going in the toilet.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/01/12 at 07:21 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Don’t forget about Brad Stuart in the UFA pool.  I hear he’s pretty good.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/01/12 at 07:24 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Hell, throw head-meet-glass into the mix as well.

How would he behave on a team with Zetterberg as his captain?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/01/12 at 07:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by dougie on 06/01/12 at 12:07 PM ET

this April?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/01/12 at 07:26 PM ET

calquake's avatar

We wait, we see, then we criticize after the fact.

Words for a Detroit sports fan to live by.

Posted by monkey from lighting my nuts on fire on 06/01/12 at 06:21 PM ET

Personally, I blame the Mayans.

Posted by calquake on 06/01/12 at 07:56 PM ET

We don’t have a serious need for a completely unproven player who’s never played a game of professional hockey in his life to be the second highest-paid guy on our D.

I’m happy for him if someone way-the-f*ck overpays him, I just hope to hell it isn’t Mr Tick Tock.

Someone can give him a sweetheart deal that he’ll never live up to and Tick Tock can pick him up in a couple years when he’s been bought out.

There’s nothing past a entitled kid refusing to sign with his draft team that’s going to make me want to give him $5M before he’s ever played a pro game.  There are plenty of solid, proven NHL defensemen on the market who aren’t worth that much.

Posted by Garth on 06/01/12 at 08:46 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Right with you Chief:  None of the other d-men are worth DET’s time, let alone money.  It’s literally Suter-or-Bust as far a UFA’s go, the remainder are proven poor commodities.

I get the feeling though the Wings this next year will simply look a lot like the Wings this year.  If it does, Holland has forever tarnished his legacy.

Assuming there even is a season, of course…  the CBA expires this Sept. 15th.  Imagine for a second that the Wings get everyone Chief listed… and then lost the season.  That’s probably the biggest reason Nick retired, and is likely why Kenny will be afraid to spend come July 1st.

Posted by Primis on 06/03/12 at 05:33 PM ET