Abel to Yzerman

King for a Day… Fool for a Lifetime

While there are several issues with the Wings this season, a couple stand out above the rest... and one in particular on the flatli -- I mean, blue line:

Didn't know he had a street in Wisconsin SoCal named after him, did you? Neither did I.

(sticktap to Alan for the picture, and stoney for the correction)

So here we sit, battered, bruised, broken - and if you're like me, soiled - watching our beloved Detroit Red Wings press on through the meatgrinder that is the Western Conference's current Playoff lineup. They've battled through ridiculous injuries, questionable coaching and roster decisions, and generally poor play from those whom better should be expected (I'm looking at you, Quincey, Howard, Cleary, and Samuelsson), and tenuously cling to a Wild Card spot thanks to a couple of surging teams in the East. I don't expect a win tonight. Nor do I expect a win tomorrow. One or two points out of this trip would be nothing short of miraculous at this juncture.

But we'll be here, glued to our televisions, computers, or other devices, gluttons for punishment; 19 in all, from across the globe, and all walks of life. Disagree if you will, argue if you must, but batten down the hatches, because the second half of the season is going to be a test for one and all.

As Kate would say, We're All In.

It's a Live Blog, Bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›      Next »

Slumpy's avatar

I might email FSD to complain about sports ticker. With Internet and smart phones these days no need for a ticker covering bottom of screen for a Red Wings local coverage game, it’s ridiculous.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 01/12/14 at 01:05 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

what are you doing Howard??? stay in goal !!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/12/14 at 01:05 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

My god Quincey is terrible.

Posted by calquake on 01/12/14 at 12:03 AM ET

jeebus Qtard, that shift was a complete disaster after a decent first 30 minutes.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/12/14 at 12:04 AM ET

our most prominent deadline acquisition in years

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/12/14 at 01:06 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

My god Quincey is terrible.

Posted by calquake on 01/12/14 at 12:03 AM E

He’s beyond terrible.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/12/14 at 01:06 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I might email FSD to complain about sports ticker.

I will complain every day.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/12/14 at 01:07 AM ET

calquake's avatar

our most prominent deadline acquisition in years

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/12/14 at 12:06 AM ET

Just wait ‘till god tells Raffi to try out for the Wings. smile

Posted by calquake on 01/12/14 at 01:07 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I might email FSD to complain about sports ticker

File your complaint with Fox Sports, because every affiliate is doing it. I watched the Blue Jackets in Winnipeg this evening, and it was all the fuch over FS-Ohio, too.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/12/14 at 01:07 AM ET

VooX's avatar

It’s not like Quincey had any developmental upside.  He is as good as he will ever be.  Which is mostly awful.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 01:08 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“Down Goes Brown!”

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/12/14 at 01:09 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Jimmah!

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 01/12/14 at 01:10 AM ET

VooX's avatar

I haven’t watched an entire game since mid-November. I’m glad to see the completely ineffective power play setup is still not generating any second chances office shots. Wonderful.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 01:10 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Jimmy trackin. Please keep this up the remainder of the season.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/12/14 at 01:10 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Nyquil needed to bury that.

Posted by calquake on 01/12/14 at 01:10 AM ET

Kings could have been called for too many me twice there.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/12/14 at 01:10 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

It’s not like Quincey had any developmental upside.

Developmentally challenged ya say?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/12/14 at 01:11 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 12:10 AM ET

hell I’m not even watching

I’m plahying world of tanks with my boys and helping the wife quilt….and following along with you guys

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/12/14 at 01:11 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Can we decline the PP instead of chasing the puck for two minutes?

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/12/14 at 01:12 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/12/14 at 12:11 AM ET

My better half is a quilter and I help her out by staying out of her way.

Posted by calquake on 01/12/14 at 01:13 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

crap

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/12/14 at 01:13 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Well, Quick looks back to old self. King goalie showing no signs of rust back from injury.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 01/12/14 at 01:13 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Woah, Sammy with a good hold at the line

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/12/14 at 01:13 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Imagine that.  Samualson missed the net.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 01/12/14 at 01:13 AM ET

Trish's avatar

Sammie missed the net?  SHOCKED ///

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 01/12/14 at 01:14 AM ET

VooX's avatar

How’s retirement been treating you?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 01:14 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Well, Sammy did his one thing good of the game with that keep at the line.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/12/14 at 01:14 AM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Sammy misses the net….

Good backhand saucer pass by Sheahan to Nyquist on that first PP shift.

Looking forward to the 3rd!

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 01/12/14 at 01:14 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 01/12/14 at 12:05 AM ET

I will mention it doesn’t just appear to be FSD, when my wife is watching her team on Center Ice, if it is a FSN feed of any kind the ticker is there.  I think it is because of Fox Sports 1, I think it started around the same time.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/12/14 at 01:15 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

How’s retirement been treating you?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 12:14 AM ET

I was cleanly shaved last weekend for the first time since June.  Pretty much loving it

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/12/14 at 01:16 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

My better half is a quilter and I help her out by staying out of her way.

Posted by calquake on 01/12/14 at 12:13 AM ET

I have all the phrases down “oh that looks nice’  ” oh cute!”

I also iron things   then stay out of the way

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/12/14 at 01:17 AM ET

VooX's avatar

This female host needs to raise her lavalier mic higher up her jacket’s lapel.  Way too much room reverb for a professional studio broadcast.  Not a good job by the audio guy.

Holy shit, that bird has some serious man-hands.  Anyone check for an Adam’s Apple yet?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 01:17 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/12/14 at 12:16 AM ET

Nice.  Enjoy it, buddy.  And don’t forget to manscape once and a while for the little lady’s benefit.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 01:20 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Strader and Man-Hands have as much chemistry as a Bible-belt Christian high school.  Poor Strader, he had a pained expression on his face.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 01:22 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Ann Coulter working hockey games now?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/12/14 at 01:23 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

And don’t forget to manscape once and a while for the little lady’s benefit.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 12:20 AM ET

She takes care of that for me smile

And interestingly enough…I’ve actually LOST weight now that it doesnt’ matter any more what shape Im in smile

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/12/14 at 01:24 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Nyquil has missed like 3 chances tonight.  Gotta be better than that.

Posted by calquake on 01/12/14 at 01:27 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/12/14 at 12:24 AM ET

All that extra loving now that you are more often.  You are a tiger.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 01:28 AM ET

VooX's avatar

*now that you are HOME more often

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/12/14 at 01:30 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

RRawwwr baby

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/12/14 at 01:31 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Beauty of a try from Eaves to Z

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/12/14 at 01:33 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Wings really avoid Sammy at the point.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 01/12/14 at 01:33 AM ET