Abel to Yzerman

Johan Franzen Undergoing Intensive Treatment

from franzenresidence.com,

I don’t know where to start, but this week has been really hard and extremely emotional. Monday morning the kids, Lisa and I flew out to Denver, Colorado to visit Johan. He’s been going thru an intensive treatment program at Marcus Brain Health Institute, and this last week was a family week where I joined in for a lot of sessions. He’s still dealing with post concussion syndrome, and the last months have been really bad. Something needed to happen and I’m so thankful we found this new amazing place. It opened up in March and they treat vetarans and athletes with brain traumas. Johan was actually their very first athlete.

First day when we came was a great day, so nice to see each other again. Second day – terrible and we got in to a huge fight. Probably normal in most relationships, but when you have an brain injury it adds up, and it becomes SO not rational. The brain just can’t paus and take a break when it’s overloaded and can’t recover. He bounced back to a very dark and sad place. However, I’m glad it happened while we were there.

continued

thanks to eyesris for the heads up tweet

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

eyesris's avatar

I hope this gets some love from the hockey world for the Franzen family.

That 2008 performance of his against the Avs (https://twitter.com/kuklaskorner/status/1000893528250122241) is something I’ll never forget, and I will be forever grateful for his contributions to the teams he played on.

Posted by eyesris from Asheville, NC on 05/27/18 at 07:37 PM ET

I know what you put on blogs and social media is public info and one should understand that when doing so but IDK. I’ve came across the blog before given I use instagram but IMO it’s not right morally to share. It’s a emotional release for a Women dealing with this situation. It doesn’t need to go mainstream and cause more stress.

Posted by VFUSION on 05/27/18 at 07:40 PM ET

eyesris's avatar

@VFUSION

I’ve had Mrs. Franzen’s blog in my RSS feeds for quite some time and I feel like she’s aware of what happens when you post something online. My hope in getting some page views via KK is that some support and discussion comes from it.

Posted by eyesris from Asheville, NC on 05/27/18 at 07:56 PM ET

I hope Crosby reads this. He seems like he is on the same path.

Posted by SlimChance on 05/27/18 at 08:09 PM ET

Discussion and awareness of concussions is definitely good. Mlive and other Detroit news posting for views, drama and distress is not. Just my opinion.

Posted by VFUSION on 05/27/18 at 08:12 PM ET

I think it is important for her to share and for people to take notice. Johan was an amazing player and without him there would have been no Stanley Cup in ‘08 or finals in ‘09, period. It’s super sad to hear about the struggles that caused his playing career to end prematurely and scary that the adverse effects continue on years after he stopped playing.

At least as fans our thoughts should have evolved (mine have) about a lot of the hitting in this game of hockey. Some would like to ignore a 35-40 year old who needs to spend hours sitting in a dark room, unable to exercise, completely suffering from depression and PTSD, but I can’t imagine how that should be.

Posted by mtta on 05/27/18 at 10:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Just a reminder that this is a guy that a whole bunch of people on this very site called “soft” and did everything they could to demean and discredit his contributions, and questioned his willingness to sacrifice.

That take sure has not aged well now, has it?

It’s genuinely heart-breaking to read that he’s still having this level of problems.

Posted by Primis on 05/28/18 at 11:59 AM ET

That take sure has not aged well now, has it?

It’s nice to see the perfect people looking down on everyone else.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/28/18 at 01:10 PM ET

Carcillo talking about it is wrong because - hes had them and had a friend commit suicide along with Dave Mirra, BMX, junior seaux, football,  chris Benoit, pro wrestler….

Family members of players with likely CTE cant talk about it because..m it’s too personal?

One day we will be allowed to talk about brain trauma for entertainment.

Posted by ThatGuy on 05/28/18 at 02:11 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

amen.

I feel for his family.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/28/18 at 03:52 PM ET