Abel to Yzerman

Jimmy Howard Again States He Wants To Stay In Detroit

from Nicholas J. Cotsonika,

Jimmy Howard wants to stay with the Detroit Red Wings rather than go to a contender at the 2019 NHL Trade Deadline.

The goalie is in the last year of a six-year contract and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1. Howard could be moved prior to the Feb. 25 deadline, but said he would like to sign an extension with Detroit. The 34-year-old has spent his entire 13-year NHL career in Detroit, and he and his wife, Rachel, have three children.

"Obviously I want to stay here," said Howard, whose 232 wins rank third in Red Wings history. "This city has become home, not only for myself but for my family as well. I definitely don't want to relocate at all. So it would mean the world to me to be able to end my career here in Detroit."...

General manager Ken Holland said he would speak to Howard and his representatives within the next month to discuss his future.

"I want to see what they're thinking [in terms of a contract]," Holland said.

read on

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Figaro's avatar

Why not sacrifice a little for your team, Jimmy?  You can be traded at the deadline for a pick(s) and/or prospect(s) that will help the team in the long run and you can enjoy a couple of months in a different city - learning new things, making new friends…maybe even win a Cup!  Your kids will love coming to visit and seeing a different zoo and exploring new museums!  Then re-sign with Detroit on July 1 and finish your career here. You’re family won’t have to move.  You won’t miss much here during the time you’re away and the team will be a little richer for it.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/09/19 at 02:17 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

“Obviously I want to stay here,” said Howard, whose 232 wins rank third in Red Wings history. “This city has become home, not only for myself but for my family as well. I definitely don’t want to relocate at all. So it would mean the world to me to be able to end my career here in Detroit.”...

Hence his play of late??

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/09/19 at 02:21 PM ET

“I want to see what they’re thinking [in terms of a contract],” Holland said.

How about, and I know this is a crazy thought, being proactive? You know he wants to stay, he’s said so publicly, so instead of asking what he’s thinking why not just offer what you’re comfortable with and let it fall to him to make the decision?

You don’t have to wait for him and you certainly don’t have to overpay.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/09/19 at 03:35 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Tires should’ve been kicked prior to signing Bernier, though I guess part of the evaluation was how he’d play this year.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/09/19 at 04:07 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I know, millions of dollars. But the plea of family and home always gets me.
In any case, I second Fiagro.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/09/19 at 04:51 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I know, millions of dollars. But the plea of family and home always gets me.
In any case, I second Fiagro.

I third it. It makes the most sense. smirk

Posted by bigfrog on 01/09/19 at 10:51 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Brad Stuart did it when he was playing here. Flew back to San Jose whenever he could to see his family. And he did that for 4+ years. Jimmy would only have to do a few months.

And I don’t think it’s any secret that Detroit has no goaltending prospects knocking on the door so it’s almost a given that he would sign back here July 1st

Posted by SauceBoss on 01/09/19 at 10:55 PM ET

“I want to see what they’re thinking [in terms of a contract],” Holland said.

That’s a really troubling quote and I seriously hope he’s just playing dumb. There don’t appear to be any prospects in the system ready for a pro backup role, they’re coming up on the trade deadline, and Jimmy is set to be a UFA in a couple of months. If you really don’t know what Jimmy and his agent are looking for past this year what in the hell are you doing?

Posted by MZ2215 on 01/10/19 at 09:13 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by MZ2215 on 01/10/19 at 08:13 AM ET

Couldn’t disagree more.  Had Holland signed Howard this offseason to a 3 year deal, would HHHT be happy?  Hell no, unless your Monday morning QBing. His play this season has warmed the hearts of the bandwagon again.  Now Jimmy’s a priority because he’s having a banner season (play of late aside) and Bernier has proven not to be ready to be a full time starter I guess (though I would argue he hasn’t been given the consecutive starts to prove that out).  I’m sorry but the reality is he’s 34 years old, this team is still seasons from being elite again, how many more elite seasons does he have in him, maybe 2. He’s had trouble holding up in his early 30’s though I would be the first to say 1/2 of that is due to his teammates falling on him.

To me, big effing deal if we let Jimmy walk, we have Bernier, thats what we inked him to 3 years, and we go grab some other team’s young promising netminder that needs a change of scenery for a year as a backup and see if we strike gold, like Mrazek in Carolina as an example, doesn’t work, then next year we try another and another while we wait for our system goalies to mature.

If Howard loves him some Detroit, he comes to Kenny, and it gives Kenny the bargaining power because he was ready to move on, short term, lower cap hit, let’s talk.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/10/19 at 10:10 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/10/19 at 09:10 AM ET

Well said Murray.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/10/19 at 11:19 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I haven’t watched but maybe two NBA games in four years, and no Pistons games, but a friend is a Pistons fans and linked an article. It is painfully funny to read these quotes from the Pistons owner Tom Gores. Thankfully these haven’t appeared much from Blashill and Holland this season, but are a reminder of recent years past. (The Detroit Pistons apparently have gone 4-15 lately).

This is comical, almost.

Gores said, “We all need help, but we just got to do simple things a little bit better. You know how close we’ve been in a lot of these games. We’re very, very close. We just got to stay the course.

“We got to trust the process.”

“I like this team,” Gores said.

Posted by RWBill on 01/10/19 at 11:30 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I third it. It makes the most sense. smirk

Posted by bigfrog on 01/09/19 at 09:51 PM ET

I fourth Figaro, only if Howie takes a good “hometown” discount to leave us some flexibility under the cap.

It seems Columbus is looking for a new goalie and it’s about a four hour drive:

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/10/19 at 12:02 PM ET

To clarify, I do agree that he should not have been re-signed yet. I would just like KH and Jimmy (and camp) to be on the same page. Don’t hold on to him at the trade deadline because “jimmy loves detroit!” and then let him walk for nothing in 6 months because he takes a better deal elsewhere. If KH knows they want more than 3 years and north of $5m per it makes it a hell of a lot easier to move him out. I have no qualms with riding Bernier and backing him up with someone else’s project next year.

Posted by MZ2215 on 01/10/19 at 12:11 PM ET

It’s a business and in no way should Howard be allowed to dictate terms to stay where he’s said he wants to stay. He either takes a significant discount to lock in Detroit now for the next 2-3 years or Detroit has to look at trade possibilities and consider signing him over the summer. Getting a 2nd rounder for Howard (the best I think they could possibly do) AND signing him over the summer is in the teams best interest.

Detroit will have options over the summer. They aren’t likely to spend big bucks on a goaltender but there are always reclamation projects. With real competition for a Cup still years away, they can churn through a couple, if necessary.

Posted by evileye on 01/10/19 at 02:25 PM ET