Abel to Yzerman

JFH In Because It’s The F That Really Matters

Tiberius Howard earned that “F” back when he was healthy and carrying this team.  He’s starting because guys with F as their middle name start games like tonite.

I don’t like it. I don’t like bringing him back with his 80 percent groin for a game that will be as intense as any we’ve (sorry…you’ve) seen this year.  It’s much more likely that come 10pm EST, that groin’s going to be worse than it is right now. And that’s just not good because in the grand scheme of things? Tonite doesn’t matter all that much.

Yes, home ice would be nifty.  But it doesn’t mean jack squat if the Wings can’t win at all on the road.  It will mean less than that if “the switch” doesn’t get jerked violently upward into a permanent “on” position.  Five games left and there is no indication of consistency.  Level-headed, sober, stress-free folk have already pinpointed the precise date on April’s calendar when they can shift their full attention to Comerica.  They’ve resigned themselves to R1 sadness and they’re ok with that.

Naturally, we don’t meet any of those criteria so we sit here all day and rationalize.  We say shit like, “if Franzen…”, or “when the power play…”, or “now that they’re healthy (except for that Helm thing)...”

In the darkest, filthiest alleyways of our red and white hearts each of us harbor this belief that when it all starts this team just might pull it all together.

But that’s a concrete impossibility if Howard’s not healthy.  And if Howard’s the key, does tonite really matter all that much?  Ahhhh…fuch it.  I’m tired of wondering and second-guessing my Uncle.  Every worry we have is blasting through his skull fifty times faster and harder.  He knows best, right?  Doesn’t he?  And don’t we have the best GM in hockey by his side?  Of course we do.

The best GM in hockey, boy…

Paul

added 11:43am, Quincey is a healthy scratch.

I’m just sayin’.

Do we need this? Yes.  Enough to lay Tiberius low for the times that really matter? No.

I’m rambling and babbling. Tired of March the way I used to be disgusted with February.  Sick of the “what ifs” and the drunken wonderings.

It’s a Live Blog bitches, but if I’m gonna stress I’m ready for the real damn thing, eh?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

You’re absolutey right, Master Chief, I don’t like it either. James F doesn’t need five games to sharpen himself back into game shape, the game is meaningless, and both the greatest GM in sports and our Uncle Mike have been made questionable decisions lately.

In the Winged Wheel We Trust.

LGRW!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/30/12 at 08:12 PM ET

Reposting from GDT

Hold onto something stationary and put aside your beverage when you see that:

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=Jcr1H1rFv2E

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=3Zh1szSHbyM tongue rolleye

Posted by Alex on 03/30/12 at 08:15 PM ET

I hope Red Wings will never miss more than one period at a time now after watching this:

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=Q9oNXfXwuCM

red face

Posted by Alex on 03/30/12 at 08:26 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Five games left and there is no indication of consistency.

There is one thing the Wings have been consistent at all month - no wins on the road.

I’ve given my two cents, if the Wings don’t get home ice to start the playoffs, they have virtually no chance of getting out of R1.

Of course, if JFH comes up lame, the same is almost certainly true as well.

Hobson’s choice there.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/30/12 at 08:29 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

After thinking about this way too much today, I’d rather Howard not start this game and end up injured but it is what it is.

Let’s go Red Wings!

Which team shows up tonight?

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 03/30/12 at 08:39 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

just an appetizer for the coming train…..ala bob dylan, slow train comin’

Posted by Rdwings28 on 03/30/12 at 08:44 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Of course, if JFH comes up lame, the same is almost certainly true as well.

Hobson’s choice there.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/30/12 at 06:29 PM ET

Or like Tootoo being his Richardesque self, running JFH.
RSV

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 03/30/12 at 08:44 PM ET

A telephone is provided in every official’s dressing room. The phone is utilized on occasion when Hockey Ops calls to discuss an issue with the referees or even make suggestions how they would like something handled in the next period.

Roll out tin foil, folks

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=FuR-eDFidSQ

cool smirk

Posted by Alex on 03/30/12 at 08:49 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Hey guys, already drinking, nervous as hell, like the playoffs

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 03/30/12 at 08:50 PM ET

slimelord's avatar

Lots and lots and lots of beer at the ready for this one and EVERY one until (and after) game one.

Posted by slimelord on 03/30/12 at 08:58 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Chief. Only thing that is certain is that anyfuching thing can happen. And that’s why we’re here.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/30/12 at 09:08 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I am wasted and I can’t find my way home

Posted by dougie on 03/30/12 at 09:11 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

My thoughts, too.

One ‘n done if we start Rd1 at the Grand Ol’ Opry.

If we get home ice in Rd 1, we have a chance. Then, going into Rd 2, who knows? Key injuries to the next team we play? Wings get that swagger back after being the underdog against Nashville?

Just get out of Rd1 , and anything can happen. Lose tonight, and it doesn’t matter all that much either way.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/30/12 at 09:13 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I am wasted and I can’t find my way home

I love happy hours like that.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/30/12 at 09:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Evenin’ Bitches. Aloha, Master Chief.

I question nothing because I don’t have any answers.

Let’s Roll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/30/12 at 09:22 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Hey guys, already drinking, nervous as hell, like the playoffs

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 03/30/12 at 06:50 PM ET

I’m so “at home” here.  Me too, FMG, me too.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/12 at 09:25 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m in.

2 points please and expose Radulov for a fraud.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 03/30/12 at 09:27 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Do you guys think I should get a cab, or just roll with it? My wife has my address safety pinned in my collar

Posted by dougie on 03/30/12 at 09:32 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Fuchin’ Ericsson.

Posted by dougie on 03/30/12 at 09:33 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

The“ There is no place like Home (ice),” Wink.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/30/12 at 09:33 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Do you guys think I should get a cab,

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/30/12 at 09:34 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

My thoughts, too.

One ‘n done if we start Rd1 at the Grand Ol’ Opry.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/30/12 at 07:13 PM ET

I’m not trying to start off the game by being all Eeyore, but I’m not even remotely convinced that they can make it out of round 1 regardless of home ice or not.  Now, don’t get me wrong.  I believe they can win the cup again this year just like I did last year, and they year before that, and the year before that, etc…  However my analytic side says they have to make some pretty serious fundamental changes, and it sure seems like only a handful of players really want to make the effort.  But in all honesty, what the fuch do I know.  When the only consistency I see is bad, then I get sad.

disclaimer - I’ll totally think that they are definitely going all the way with a solid performance tonight.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/12 at 09:35 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

hey, gang

just a “W” ... a healthy “W”

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/30/12 at 09:36 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/30/12 at 07:36 PM ET

Holy crap Stoney I totally forgot about that.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/12 at 09:38 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Gosh, I’m drinking like it’s a playoff game.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/12 at 09:38 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Ok Moose, this is “the playoffs.”  Show us you care.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 03/30/12 at 09:39 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Mule with curly fries tonight.  Callin it.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/12 at 09:39 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Ok boys, put the puck behind that Finnish guy.

Tarbender - I need a KetelOne dirty 2 olives . . .

LGRW

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 03/30/12 at 09:39 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Did Radulov get fat?

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/12 at 09:40 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

When the only consistency I see is bad, then I get sad.

Flip the fuching switch from bad to bad-ass. Skate to throat, shut whore mouth.

Now. Tonite. Two fuching bad-ass points.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/30/12 at 09:40 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Queue the PK of death.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/12 at 09:40 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Mission Control, accomplished. Heavy duty zebra suckage!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/30/12 at 09:41 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Home SWEET Home!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/30/12 at 09:41 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

God afton eller hallå !!!!

Let’s get drunk and have a win tonight Let’s go Red Wings

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 03/30/12 at 09:42 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Yeah JIMMAH! KILL IT Wings.

Go WINGS!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/30/12 at 09:43 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Totally legal to push Cleary head first into the boards.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/12 at 09:44 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

WTF?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/30/12 at 09:44 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

oh good, nice and early jimmy has to do the scramble splits

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 03/30/12 at 09:44 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

anyone has a feed?

Posted by alukacs on 03/30/12 at 09:45 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I like Bert’s strategy, get the obligatory penalty out of the way early and get Jimmy into the game.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/30/12 at 09:46 PM ET