Abel to Yzerman

It’s Not Too Rough To Feed You and The Main Hatchway’s Still Stable

Al Gore won’t let me have the internet tonite so I’m flying blind, unable to deliver my usual stat-heavy, fact-based, unbiased lead in to yet another “most important regular season game of the year.”

It’s kind of liberating, really. Anything I’m about to say can be quibbled with and any grand proclamations can be refuted by me after the fact because I have no means to research a damn thing.  So, with that little built-in alibi, I can say this with great confidence.

This is precisely the kind of game the Wings win.  They dig “statement” games and always have.  The bitter bitch Blues fans, cranky because they haven’t won jack shit in forty years of existence, are undoubtedly feeling as if this is their year.  The one season they can expect their team to perform for the porky prick who will undoubtedly crush their very souls next season.  Winning for Ken Hitchcock is a nifty experience, but let the wheels wobble just a bit and wait for the emotional pain to wash over them in spades.  This, say Blues fans, has absolutely got to be their year.

No sane outsider south of Saskatchewan feels the Wings would have a shot in a 7-gamer against this team. Nobody.  Nobody outside us, the transplants and the tinfoil hatters, those of us deployed, tip tapping our way through another Kansas or Oklahoma spring.  Nobody outside the 19 of you seriously believe anything but sadness would await The Greatest Franchise In All of Sport if the playoffs started today.  And deed down where the drunken sadness lives, a lot of us would be hard-pressed to disagree with that.

But, curiously, the playoffs don’t start today.  Fortunately two critical games against baby butthole brothers remain and each one carries with it a chance for this team to regain the confidence baby Jesus, that adorable, drooling, swaddled and pink skinned, little bundle of promise, told us the Wings would have when April came she will.

Should the Wings win out and enter the playoffs with or without home-ice, we might be looking at something interesting.  Beat Chicago and St. Louis convincingly and the magical Swagger might just be back where it belongs.

So, it starts tonite. It must.  It starts tonite because a win tonite erases just a bit of that road-ice doubt.  A win tonite reminds the Blues what they are: bitches. Wing bitches and nothing more.

Wings win tonite because that’s how it needs to begin, this last-minute rebirth, this frigging requiem to save a season that once held so much promise.  I don’t predict a Wing win out of blind, sick hope.  No. I say it because these are the kinds of games these guys have won for years, the games that leave peckerheads saying they wrote Detroit off a minute too soon.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›      Next »

Good Lord, Elliot’s glove is anywhere near the puck and the whistle is blown.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/04/12 at 09:17 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Nearly caromed in.

Talk normal Doc.  I mean Dic.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 09:18 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Jimmah! Then the customary call against with less than 1 minute left in the period.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/04/12 at 09:18 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Okay, I missed Kronner’s infraction somewhere.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/04/12 at 09:18 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I saw a slash by Berglund on that play.  Didn’t see holding the stick on that replay at least.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/04/12 at 09:18 PM ET

Not sure if I saw the penalty on Kronwall….certainly saw him get a big league slash though.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/04/12 at 09:19 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Every time the puck is on Stuart’s stick he seems hesitant, which of course leads to a mistake.  It’s irritating.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/04/12 at 09:19 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I watched one the other day and it took me ten minutes to figure out what the fvck that sound was.  So asinine.  Makes glass-bangers look good.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/04/12 at 08:14 PM ET

NO kiddin.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/04/12 at 09:19 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

Wow, I’m shocked.  I was fully expecting the Budd Lynch/Jimmy goal.  I am pleasantly surprised.

Posted by jennyquarx on 04/04/12 at 09:19 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Thought the same. Was a good 2-hander on the wrists. too

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/04/12 at 09:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Even Edzo thought it was a penalty on Berglund.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/04/12 at 09:20 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

And I lied earlier. Not really….the plans got changed. I told the wife what was happening. She agreed.

More like she changed her mind and I got lucky…enough to watch the game.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/04/12 at 09:21 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Kronwall.  Two minutes.  Roughing the stick.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/04/12 at 09:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well not a bad road first period, especially against the BBB.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/04/12 at 09:22 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Off-topic and ill-timed, but Berglund was one of the guy’s I was hoping Holland would target.  I know he plays center, but you know…..

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 09:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Dan Cleary pimping for Lucido fine jewelry on the radio, insisting on excellence on and off the ice.  Sure I believe that.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/04/12 at 09:25 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Has the statute of limitations passed on deadline bitching?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 09:26 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Okay, I missed Kronner’s infraction somewhere.

Don’t worry guys I didn’t see it either.  Edzo seems pretty sure it was a really glaringly obvious call though, as he let everyone know with his usual combination of incompetence and enthusiasm.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/04/12 at 09:26 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I have bacon. Lots of it.

Posted by dougie on 04/04/12 at 09:28 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

come on, gang.
don’t cha know we’re watch’n the BBBB enjoy home ice advantage this game:

- slow whistles on Jimmy
- 2 min.s on Kronner for taking a slash
- ...

get with the program, people.

Thanks, Gary.Ass.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/04/12 at 09:28 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’m streaming 97.1 so am spared the irritation.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/04/12 at 09:29 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Hard to imagine a scenario in which a division rival like St. Lose would make a deal with Detroit.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/04/12 at 09:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I have bacon. Lots of it.
Posted by dougie on 04/04/12 at 08:28 PM ET

Bacon-Bra

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/04/12 at 09:31 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Not a bad road period. I like the effort overall.

When did the Gordon Lightfoot freighter sink?
Posted by calquake on 04/04/12 at 07:24 PM ET

November of ‘75. Remember the storm well, though only a small boy at the time. The old girl went down thirty miles from my house.

That’s what she said.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/04/12 at 09:31 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

You guys playing cards?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/04/12 at 09:32 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Being everyone’s number one rival makes it hard for any deal to get done.

No I know it can’t happen within the division, but the Blues have what appears to be an excess of quality top 6 forwards.  Just got to be really aggressive with the pitch, or go three-way (the way Hudler does).

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 09:33 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I have bacon. Lots of it.

Posted by dougie on 04/04/12 at 08:28 PM ET

You are one of the great ones.  RWBill has a pair of great ones.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/04/12 at 09:34 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

The way Lightfoot sings it, I really thought it was an old mostly-forgotten wreck from the 19th century.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 09:35 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I meant…........whatever. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/04/12 at 09:36 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So uh, not whistling much on the boys in blue, eh?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/04/12 at 09:37 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Time to start a new trend. Scoring shorthanded and killing.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/04/12 at 09:37 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Jimmy is on.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 09:38 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That’s what she said.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/04/12 at 08:31 PM ET

The Sailors all say she’d ‘a made Whitefish Bay if she’d put fifteen more miles behind her.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/04/12 at 09:38 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Got the kill part right.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/04/12 at 09:39 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Time to start a new trend. Scoring

FIXT

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/04/12 at 09:39 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Oh I forgot; decking Happy from behind isn’t a penalty.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/04/12 at 09:39 PM ET

So they’ve talked about college basketball, pro baseball, pro football…...what’s next guys, beach volleyball?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/04/12 at 09:40 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

WTF was that?? since when can you horse-collar a guy?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/04/12 at 09:40 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

wow.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 09:40 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Oh playoff rules.  How 1970’s you are.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 09:41 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›      Next »