Abel to Yzerman

It’s A Skate To The Throat Kind of Sunday

I’ve never tried to hide what Game 7s do to me.  They make me a wreck, nothing but a shadow of the calm, composed, well adjusted adult I am on most other days.

For fans of other teams, with expectations much lower than ours?  A Game 7 can mean opportunity, a new way of life even.  If they win, oh the rapture.

Us? All we imagine is horror.

So let’s avoid that shall we?

Let’s go ahead and press down.  Slice the mother through and through.  Skate to the throat.  Press down for the sake of domestic animals from Michigan to Malibu.

13 to 12.

9 until Redemption begins.

Filed in: Admitting I'm Wrong, | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 22 23 24 25 26 >  Last ›      Next »

Since71's avatar

While I most certainly hope we take game 7 tomorrow, I can’t help but think that after the past seasons they could use a nice long summer off for a change.

Posted by Since71 from Bucharest, Romania on 04/26/10 at 03:46 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not outright agreeing with some trolls here, but this looks like pointing a finger to me, Gramps.  The Salary cap applies to everybody the same way.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas

The game has changed a lot because of the Salary cap, and it was designed to bring teams like the Red Wings down.  The fans are used to a different organization here that had the luxury of going after anything they needed and having 4 or 5 NHL’ers sitting in the press box ready to go all season.  Ozzie came up flat, and there was not even a dime to go after an experienced goaltender.  There was no Murph in the pressbox to take over when Lilja was out for a year.  Crippled by injuries, we were forced to play all year with minor leaguers because of the cap.  We’re losing player’s that we spent a long time developing after drafting because of the new rules.
Agree on Babs, just not going to flog a dead horse.  I will celebrate for a week when he is gone, but anyone other than Smith (currently unemployed) to replace him also scares me.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/26/10 at 03:53 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Do the teams get reseeded after round 1? Doesnt whoever win tomorrow play SJ?
Posted by pgoody from the 2nd season, 2010, Howard’s run… on 04/26/10 at 01:42 PM ET

Yes and Maybe. If Bubba knock off little brother, SJ would play Bubba and the winner Tuesday night would play the Nucks.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/26/10 at 03:56 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

April in the D is at risk is at risk of becoming a giant turd sandwich :(

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/26/10 at 04:08 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

The next three goals are huge.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/26/10 at 04:20 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I’ve been avoiding the inter-gore since Sunday - here are some random ramblings:

Why do the Wings typically play like crap on Sunday afternoon?

Why does PHX play their best hockey in the 2nd period?

DET had a chance to seize the momentum early on with the 3 PP’s = failure.  Nonetheless, DET owned the 1st - and then were jail-sexed the rest of the game.

PHX remind me of NSH, those two play into their strengths when the score is tied, or they are leading - - neither team are have as talent to be adept at playing catch-up.

Game 4-5, DET excelled playing chip-in/chase.  They are either stubborn or stupid by repeatedly trying to puck handle through the plugged up neutral zone and stacked blue line.  It just leads to T/O and defense.  UNCLE MIKE needs to hammer this message repeatedly.

PHX are very good at what they do - they deserve alot of credit.

IF DET can get the lead, PHX may have to scrap their game-plan early on.

It seems ridiculous, at least to me, to discuss coaching changes.  Granted that Tippet has done a better job of keeping his team focused on playing to their strengths this series.  But,  Babcock’s body of work is proof of which coach is more successful.

Scoring early and often would solve alot of the problems with PHX.  Easier said than done with Breezy.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/26/10 at 04:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Not that we need any more reasons to root for Bubba, but a 7 game series there should give the Wings an extra day to recover before the next round shoudl the decide to show up and play 60 tomorrow night.

Wings are on their way to Kansas

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/26/10 at 04:27 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

neither team are have as talent to be adept at playing catch-up.

D’oh - - you get it, I’m usre.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/26/10 at 04:28 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Wings are on their way to Kansas
Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/26/10 at 02:27 PM ET

Theys why they gave that game to PHX… rack up those frequent flyer miles…

Posted by pgoody on 04/26/10 at 04:40 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I haven’t seen a lack of effort this series.  The wings are winning plenty of battles.  Execution is what’s missing. Execution is all the blue line turnovers.  Execution is being unable to sustain time of possession in the offensive zone.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/26/10 at 04:41 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Ch..ch..ch..ch…changes…  Yes, there will be some but I don’t expect there to be more than 3-4 tops.  Fact: The Wings will have to put Kindl or Ritola on waivers if they don’t make the team.  This doesn’t mean they will lose them but it’s a distinct possibility.  Fact: Adding Hudler means someone on the current roster gets sacrificed.  If we swap out Hudler for JWill and Abby for Maltby and Kindl for Meech/ Lebda, we still need to find room for Ritola and /or a FA.  If Bert will sign for reasonable money, he stays.  Draper still has a year left on his contract so I don’t see him leaving.  Miller and Eaves I would like to stay but Miller may be the odd man out.  I may have missed someone but the point is if the Wings win Tuesday it will be harder to make those decisions, if they lose… not so much.  It really doesn’t matter because, “I’m a Wingaholic Bitches and that’s how I roll”.

Posted by calquake on 04/26/10 at 04:42 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Wings are on their way to Kansas

Also, I think they scheduled a tune up game against the Kansis City Jets…

Posted by pgoody on 04/26/10 at 04:44 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

thats right Kansis…

Posted by pgoody on 04/26/10 at 04:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

thats right Kansis…

You went to high school here too?  LOL

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 04:45 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

DAMNIT JIMMAH, NO BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL

This is upsetting to me, same with Abbys fisticuffs that were meaningless at the end, we’re so used to seeing this shite from other teams on us, why are we doing it??

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/26/10 at 04:48 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

DAMNIT JIMMAH, NO BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/26/10 at 02:48 PM ET

Thats a 26 year old for ya…

thats right Kansis…

Posted by pgoody on 04/26/10 at 04:50 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That’s the why spelling goes.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 04:52 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Sheesh, I go out to bury a body in the backyard and youse guys have conceded the season, replaced Babs and signed Hudler to a long term something or other.  Save that scholarly crap for July.  Last time I checked there is one more game to play.

One game double or nothing…....got em right where we want em.

Lets Go Red Wings !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/26/10 at 05:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

April in the D is at risk is at risk of becoming a giant turd sandwich :(

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/26/10 at 02:08 PM ET

April in the D is an annual turd sandwich the moment the new song is launched.

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 05:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

DAMNIT JIMMAH, NO BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/26/10 at 02:48 PM ET

So all 7 Coyotes fans got upset?

Big whoop.  Wake me when Phoenix is a franchise that does something lasting, save for move markets every decade or so…

The fact that the Mange writers are out there diggin so hard to find anything at all to get upset about highlights their plight—nobody really cares about them in the end, and they’re desperate to extend that 15 min. of fame in any way they can, like some sort of Real World alum that won’t go away…

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 05:10 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Sheesh, I go out to bury a body in the backyard and youse guys have conceded the season, replaced Babs and signed Hudler to a long term something or other.  Save that scholarly crap for July. Last time I checked there is one more game to play.

One game double or nothing…....got em right where we want em.

Lets Go Red Wings !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top-O-The Hasek, hitting golfballs on 04/26/10 at 03:06 PM ET

Finally. This is the camp I’m in until the last whistle blows. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/26/10 at 05:16 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Doers anyone else find this FlightAware thing cool and simultaneously creepy?

It’s neat that you can track it.
It’s also creepy that you can track it.

I’d like it a lot more if I could somehow set a location-based bombing run and return flight.

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 05:18 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 03:18 PM ET

The feds should be flashbanging your house any moment Primis…

Posted by pgoody on 04/26/10 at 05:24 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

In terms of heart/effort etc, what I don’t understand about this team lately is how vastly different the efforts are from one game to the next, and sometimes even one period to the next.  I feel like we are watching some truly bipolar shit.  I understand the notion that some days the other team just executes better, with more focus.  What I don’t understand is how sometimes we are absolutely unstoppable, yet other times (and many of these times are the times that matter the most) we are the exact opposite.  No execution, bad decisions, not in sync whatsoever.  I could understand if there was more of a middle ground that happened more often, but the total back and forth between what looks like two totally different teams is what gets me.  Also given the fact that we usually tend to see the unstoppable team when it is a must win, with their backs against the wall, doesn’t that point to some sort of effort based reason?  That means they know the situation, they know the consequences of a loss at that time, so they simply go out and execute like we all know they are capable of - with a hefty dose of STFU.  The fact that it usually happens right after an embarassing game makes me feel good about tomorrow.  The fact that the NHL literally owns the team we are playing and pays the refs that will be working the game makes me feel scared shitless about tomorrow.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/26/10 at 02:48 PM ET

Of course none of their classless bandwagon fans mentions Fiddler saying to the media earlier in the series that the refs were giving the Wings preferential treatment….oh right, like that preferential treatment we got when the refs decided not to call blatant interference on the game winning goal in game 1.  Or when they suddenly decided it was acceptable to be literally standing on top of the goalie’s leg while scoring.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 04/26/10 at 05:26 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

howard shouldn’t have said that, but he’s kind of right. pucks were hitting guys who weren’t even paying attention and going straight in. besides, “they got lucky” translates into “shut your whore mouth”.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/26/10 at 05:26 PM ET

Amerinadian's avatar

First time commenter, but my $.02

I take solace in the fact that neither team has wanted to take momentum and run with it. Yes, the Wings are going to the desert, but we’ve won there twice already. They have responded with wins each time they have lost in this series. I also know that we haven’t put together a full 60 minutes yet. We’ve seen the best PHO has to offer and are still tied. So I’m optimistic.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to get the rest of the rubber padding up on my living room walls before 8 pm CDT tomorrow night.

Posted by Amerinadian from Chicago via Toronto on 04/26/10 at 05:29 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

This is upsetting to me, same with Abbys fisticuffs that were meaningless at the end.

abby was hitting guys and they fought him for it. i didn’t get the impression that he was gooning it up or anything. remember, helm was the one laying on the ice holding the back of his knee at the end of the game, not a coyote.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/26/10 at 05:29 PM ET

The feds should be flashbanging your house any moment Primis…
Posted by pgoody from the 2nd season, 2010, Howard’s run

We do not do that sort of thing. The poster in question will be wisked away in the middle of the night in a black Suburban with tinted windows, delivered to a waiting Gulfstream V, sans tail number, and never seen or heard from again.

It’s best if you forget Primis even existed. Mods, if you know what’s good for you, you will delete this and all of Primis’ posts.

Posted by No Name from Everywhere and Nowhere on 04/26/10 at 05:37 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Hey now… I mentioned the one more game to play earlier.
JJ’s kool aid didn’t help yesterday, but there’s more where that came from I am sure.
Let’s go Red Wings.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/26/10 at 05:40 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

@ stonehands -78

I sent a package on it’s way to you today for the new grandchild on the way. No note, but you’ll know who it’s for when you open the box.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/26/10 at 05:41 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Flightaware creepy?

You should check out WifeAware and HusbandAware…

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/26/10 at 05:42 PM ET

One game double or nothing…....got em right where we want em.

Lets Go Red Wings !!!!!

All in.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/26/10 at 05:45 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

One game double or nothing…....got em right where we want em.
Lets Go Red Wings !!!!!
All in.
Posted by SYF from Las Vegas, NV on 04/26/10 at 03:45 PM

I may have to employ reverse psychological superstitous BS mumbo-jumbo and place a bet on the Yotes.

I don’t always gamble, but when I do I like to bet against the team I want to win because I have such bad luck. Stay greedy my friends.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/26/10 at 05:53 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/26/10 at 03:41 PM ET

WHATS IN THE BOX!?!?

Posted by pgoody on 04/26/10 at 05:58 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The feds should be flashbanging your house any moment Primis…

Posted by pgoody from the 2nd season, 2010, Howard’s run… on 04/26/10 at 03:24 PM ET

Well yeah, I suppose dropping Todd Bertuzzi on Glendale WOULD count as an act of terrorism, and is also probably a violation of the Geneva Convention (not that we as a country follow that anyways)...

But, how about Bret Lebda?

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 05:59 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I can see the Wednesday NHL.com headline now…

Coyote Ugly

Wings take series with a 6-2 drubbing of Phoenix, face San Jose in the 2nd round…

Posted by pgoody on 04/26/10 at 06:02 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

WHATS IN THE BOX!?!?

NOTHING!!!  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 06:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

WHATS IN THE BOX!?!?

NOTHING!!!  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 04:14 PM ET

And people wonder why I find this place is like home to me…

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 06:18 PM ET

monkey's avatar

STUPID!  YOU’RE SO STUPID!

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/26/10 at 06:25 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

WHATS IN THE BOX!?!?

NINTENDO 64!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!

Cinderella gets punched in the face tomorrow night. Then we’re going fishing in San Jose.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/26/10 at 06:28 PM ET