Abel to Yzerman

It’s A Skate To The Throat Kind of Sunday

I’ve never tried to hide what Game 7s do to me.  They make me a wreck, nothing but a shadow of the calm, composed, well adjusted adult I am on most other days.

For fans of other teams, with expectations much lower than ours?  A Game 7 can mean opportunity, a new way of life even.  If they win, oh the rapture.

Us? All we imagine is horror.

So let’s avoid that shall we?

Let’s go ahead and press down.  Slice the mother through and through.  Skate to the throat.  Press down for the sake of domestic animals from Michigan to Malibu.

13 to 12.

9 until Redemption begins.

Filed in: Admitting I'm Wrong, | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 21 22 23 24 25 >  Last ›      Next »

Primis's avatar

Well,  that’s the series guys.

All you Babcock lovers who think he never does any wrong and is pure gold… how the hell are you going to explain that home performance in a Game 6?

Really, if you think the league and refs won’t now do EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER to see to it the Mange win Game 7, you haven’t been following the NHL for nearly long enough.  You can forget it.

Looks like there’s going to be some offseason housecleaning, both on the roster and behind the bench.

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 10:15 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Dude, while referring to the Jetotes as “the Mange” is awesome, you’ve got to be kidding me.

Clearly there will be some roster turnover, however how much depends on

a) the cap
2) how much Lidstrom signs for, assuming he signs
D) free agents available after the size of a and 2 are known

As for the bench, surely MacLean and McCrimmon are going to get snapped up to be head coaches elsewhere, but Babbles is not going anywhere.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/26/10 at 10:25 AM ET

monkey's avatar

I’m not worried one bit about our team on Tuesday night.

I’m sure there are several of you who would be willing to help me with that, eh?

Not sure what you’re getting at, but I’m attempting to shift into “don’t go crazy over something I can’t control” mode.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/26/10 at 10:27 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Damned Kings pissed away a lead.  Oh well, I figured Vancouver would advance, I was just hoping that it wouldn’t turn out that ours was to be the only series to go to 7.  There’s always Washington/Montreal (ha!) and Nashville/Chicago, I guess.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 10:43 AM ET

koalacaust's avatar

Same. If I can get myself there things usually turn out good

Posted by koalacaust on 04/26/10 at 10:54 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Easily.  He got outcoached.  It happens.

I like Babcock.  Even after last night, I still like him.  He’s not perfect and his shit doesn’t smell like roses and he doesn’t fart rainbows, but the good he does outweighs the bad.  But we’re Wings fans.  When he does do something wrong and the team loses, we go apoplectic, forgetting the hard work he put in just to get us to this point.  And I’m confident that he’ll do his best, try his hardest, to win Game Seven.  I hope the team will too.  Because they all share the credit for a win, and they all share the blame for a loss.

If we switched coaches every time this team lost a playoff game, or even an elimination game, we’d have gone through several leagues’ worth of coaches and would right now be coached by Stan Marsh.

Even Scotty got outcoached and lost games like last night.  What a f*ckin’ loser he was, huh?

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 11:02 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Well, that’s the series guys.
Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 08:15 AM ET

Cool, see you next season.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 11:12 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Sure.  Do give us a call when your favorite coach to dump on goes this summer.

Kenny will not blow up this team just to rebuild.  That’s not his style, and ‘housecleaning’ is not his word.  He doesn’t do that in the summers—he has ‘turnover.’  And there will be some this offseason, as there always is.

But I saw more people than just Babcock make mistakes last night.  Disco Stu had his worst game of the playoffs so far.  Should that cost him his job?  If Game Seven last year didn’t, this won’t.  How about Howard?  He let in the first, deflating, softie.  Obviously, it was his fault.  Let’s trade him in the summer and bring in Biron.  And Cleary—he’s paid $2.8 million a season, but has no points whatsoever.  Awful.  How about that Zetterberg guy?  He was a perimeter player last night, so that must mean he’s terrible.  Send him back to Sweden.  While he’s at it, he might as well take Mule with him, because it’s plain to see, judging by ONE GAME, that he sucks.

If you really hate Babcock, think he’s awful and always to blame for the losses, and has no share in the wins, write a letter, man.  Start a petition—I bet you can get Gramps and at least a few others to sign.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 11:13 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

AAA, have you been sipping my kool-aid, man?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 11:16 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

And we won’t be players in the UFA market this summer.  Kovalchuck will go to Edmonton, or somewhere else with mounds of cap space to offer.  We’ll probably resign some RFAs and the value-for-money players, let some vets and expendable players go, and bring Happy back into the fold at an established cap hit.  That’s it.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 11:16 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

AAA, have you been sipping my kool-aid, man?

I’ve got a cup of it sitting here, but I’m still waiting for my jumpsuit and Nikes.

I’m not optimistic or pessimistic this morning, JJ, but we’ve got further than a lot of us could have hoped for and more than some predicted already.  Whatever happens, will happens.  We progress tomorrow, great.  We’re out tomorrow, a lot of tired vets get a long summer to recuperate and the roster moves start.

You might say that The Dude abides.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 11:21 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I might link to this ten times today, that depends on some of the people here:

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 11:36 AM ET

Cliff's avatar

Can anyone recommend a bar in Indianapolis to view Game 7?

Posted by Cliff on 04/26/10 at 11:40 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 09:36 AM ET

Hilarious. And true.

However, when the Wings do whatever it is they were doing yesterday, and the bad thoughts creep in, it’s pretty easy to go to “they don’t care enough.”  I know I have.  But, if they really didn’t care, they wouldn’t have gotten this far.  Still, watching them shit the pan is not my idea of a good time.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/26/10 at 11:44 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

” I can be as pessimistic as the next guy, but dammit I don’t act like I’m better than the *#$%@& team. (Except Brett Lebda.)”
aLOL. Well said TDT.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/26/10 at 11:55 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

There’s a difference between caring and putting forth the effort, as JJ said in the comments section at TTD.  That’s what’s been lacking.  Not the heart, but the execution.  Or maybe they want it too much and are overthinking plays.  Maybe age and long playoff runs are catching up with them.  Maybe they’re all too soft Euro pansy-asses who don’t care about the Stanley Cup.  Maybe they just want money, or a longer summer.  Maybe they’re thinking about the Chief and Jenna Jameson when they should be focusing on the game.  Maybe they’re all pod people.

I don’t freaking know, but it looks like the guys who get paid to figure it out don’t freaking know either, and all I know is that the team that played last night didn’t look like the Red Wings I know and love.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 11:58 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

It’s heart.  It’s desire.  It’s execution.  It’s the coach.  It’s the players.  It’s the opponent.  It’s just the way things go.  It’s the Icelandic volcano.

You know, it’s easy for us to point out what’s wrong and be secure in our smugness, knowing that if Ken Holland listened to us, this team would never lose and would march straight through sixteen wins every postseason all the way to the Cup.  And if any of us were as smart as we thought we were, we’d be the most coveted front-office worker in the entire NHL.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 12:01 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Sure.  Do give us a call when your favorite coach to dump on goes this summer.

Kenny will not blow up this team just to rebuild.  That’s not his style, and ‘housecleaning’ is not his word.  He doesn’t do that in the summers—he has ‘turnover.’ And there will be some this offseason, as there always is.

Please point out where I specified Babcock would be the one to take the fall?

You can’t.  I dumped on Babcock for poor motiviation, poor planning, poor EVERYTHING, but nowhere did I say HE would be the one changing behind the bench.  I in no way think Holland would actually do that.

And yes, Stuart was a complete failure in the game.  And yes,. I’m not not sure he should be kept around.  Making almost $4m/year on 2nd pairing you can’t be making those kind of mistakes.  Rafalski has completely sucked since the OIympics as well.  I don’t think you’d do something with both he and Stuart, but… you can’t have 2 of your Top 4 d-men playing so completely poorly.  That’s a lot of money ($10m) tied up in poor, inconsistent performers, especially when you then have youngsters knocking on the door in the minors.

And you can criticize me all you want for saying it’s over, but what did you see yesterday to indicate Detroit has any inclination whatsoever to win the series?  I saw nothing whatsoever.

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 12:12 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Okay, if Babcock won’t take the fall, what “offseason housecleaning, both on the roster and behind the bench,” is going to happen?  Who’s going from the roster?  One of the second-pairing defensemen?  Who’s going from behind the bench?  McCrimmon?  You don’t just get to predict a vague future with no specifics unless you’re a television psychic.  But if you predict something that comes to fruition this summer and fits the verbatim quote from you above, I’ll give you full credit for predicting it.  But I don’t see it.  Kenny will not get rid of anyone without having a suitable replacement of equal or greater value (both in cap hit and on-ice product) waiting.  For Babcock, Stuart, and Kronwall, none of those exists unless Kenny has a great white rabbit in his hat.

And I never disagreed with your assertion that it’s over.  You may be right, you may be wrong, but we won’t know until about 10:00 Pacific Time tomorrow.  Others did disagree with you.  Take it up with them.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 12:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

“That’s the way the world goes round
you’re up one day, the next you’re down.
It’s a half an inch of water and you think you’re gonna drown
that’s the way that the world goes round” - John Prine

We’ll find out what we find out come Tuesday.  “Till then I’m sticking with my tried and true routine… laying down in the back of the Hasek, drunk as a skunk, pissing blood and generally being obnoxious as hell. cheese  Carry on.

Posted by calquake on 04/26/10 at 12:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What did you see on Friday to indicate Detroit has any inclination whatsoever to lie down and let the Coyotes win this series?

Yesterday sucked greasy balls, but I don’t see how all of a sudden, after what’s happened this season, we should be looking at their last game as any indication of how they’re going to play the next one.

As for the D-Corps, I don’t know where I stand there, but I’ve felt way too often this series that Rafalski’s $6M cap hit is a bit of an albatross and that Stuart is also midly overpaid.  Right now, I wouldn’t get rid of Stuart, but I can’t say I’d mind either of them gone in order to give Anton Volchenkov a $4.5M salary next season.  Unfortunately, I think the Montreal blueliner is going to command somewhere in the $5-$5.5M range and an overpayment is an overpayment, no matter how much the guy’s worth.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 12:40 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’ve felt way too often this series

That should read “I’ve felt way too often this season.”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 12:42 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I had a dream last night that I turned on the TV just in time to see the Wings all pile off the bench and excitedly congratulate Jimmah and each other.  No mention from the tube of what game they won but I know it wasn’t the past.  By the team’s reaction it had to have been for the Cup.  Please be a premonition of good things to come..

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/26/10 at 12:45 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 10:12 AM ET

this has happened so many times before. last case was last year against the pens. they blew the series lead and everyone was convinced the pens would win in 6. all banged up and with zero momentum, the wings rofl-fuched them to the tune of 5-0. yeah yeah yeah, they lost game 6 and 7…

the point is, this is the detroit red wings and they are at their best when they’re told they’re done.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/26/10 at 01:16 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Lemaire just retired, so the pool of coaches better than Babcock just got a tad more shallow.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 01:58 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I think you could see one or both assistants gone, (one may get a job elsewhere, though I think that’s a stretch).  I think you’ll see 2, maybe 3 d-men gone.  They HAVE to make room for Kindl next year because his contract becomes a one-way, and it’s already a mess at that spot.  You might see 1 of the Top 4 gone, and then say Lebda and Lilja, or maybe Meech.  Basically you have 8 d-men now, and another that will be forced tot he NHL or be lost (which the Wings won’t want).  There simply is not room for 9.  There’s not room for the 8 they have right now…

At forwards, Williams and May clearly won’t be back.  With Joakim Andersson coming over (if he has a good camp)  and if Ritola can get it going, Draper might easily find himself expendable (especially since Abdelkader has now officially made his case to belong, Helm is friggin’ Helm, Eaves and Miller have been successesm, etc).  Bertuzzi is no sure thing to be resigned, and if he does he’ll want more money and I don’t thin he’s worth it.  Maltby will retire, I’m pretty sure.

Oh yeah, and then there’s the mess of Happy possibly coming over.  Room would have to be made for him then as well.

Unless there’s big success this year, Kenny’s got to at least partially clean house and move on.  It’s not me trying to make a bold prediction, it’s going to be a combination of circumstance and an abrupt and early end to the season.

Posted by Twig in Houston on 04/26/10 at 11:16 AM ET

I friggin’ hope you’re right.

This team this year has no killer instinct at all though… so I will believe it when I see it.

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 02:08 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Wow, what a bender I had Saturday night. 2 bottles of Zin that company brought over then switched to Stoli after they left. I just woke up and boy am I hung over. At least I have time to clean up before game 6 starts. But It feels like I was passed out for at least 36 hours. I had this weird dream the Wings didn’t show up for game 6.

Damn over 900 posts for an LB and game 6 doesn’t start for another 90 minutes.

When did they start putting on soap operas on Sunday morning? Oh shti, It’s fuchin Monday isn’t it? And that wasn’t a dream? FML

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/26/10 at 02:31 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

It’s heart.  It’s desire.  It’s execution.  It’s the coach.  It’s the players.  It’s the opponent.  It’s just the way things go. Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor

It could be time to take a good look at our expectations rather than point fingers.  The big red machine are reluctantly and gradually becoming victims of the salary cap.  Not saying yesterday’s game was the norm, but looking over the past 2 seasons, an independent evaluation may conclude that the team is just short of the talent that fans are used to. When the team is unbeatable it may just be everyone playing above their normal level of competence.  A few players regress to normal and yesterday is what happens.  I haven’t seen any games where the players didn’t give it their best.  Sometimes their best is just not good enough, and other times their opponents are playing above their own level, just magnifying our shortcomings.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/26/10 at 02:31 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

They’re making room for Kindl on the bottom pairing, and he’ll rotate in and out.  He’s not jumping straight into the top four, no matter what.  And Andersson…I’m high on him, but he’s in no way NHL-ready, and I’ve seen the guy play.  For starters, he’s still too slow.  Second, his puck skills need work if they want him to chip in more than two goals a season.  Draper could find himself expendable only if Ritola can displace him (though not his skillset), and if he was going to do that, he probably would have done it by now.  Lebda is a definite, Meech a maybe, but no way they let Lilja walk without trying.  You see how valuable a big, shot-blocking body is the the PK, and Kolosov is at least a couple of years away.  Hudler is as good as back come training camp.

Contradictory.  You predict an abrupt and early end to the season, that is a prediction.  Nevertheless, I think what you’ve described with the roster moves is less ‘housecleaning’ and more ‘turnover.’  Unless one of the assistant coaches is fired (not poached), a top-six forward or top-four defenseman is traded (not retires or signs elsewhere), I don’t see it as housecleaning or shaking anything up.

Whatever, perhaps you don’t see it that way.  I guess we agree to disagree, but I think we’ve all see how Kenny works.

Cal, good call on the John Prine.  Criminally overlooked singer and songwriter.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 02:39 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

The big red machine IS reluctantly and gradually becoming victims of the salary cap.

It is Monday, here, too….

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/26/10 at 02:40 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Once again, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the voice of experience and reason.

Gramps, you’re a friggin’ paradox.  For all you can infuriate with pronouncements on individual players, as a blunt assessment of the general state of things on the whole, you’re usually spot-on.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 02:43 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 04/26/10 at 12:31

Rational, reasonable and right.

It feels like finding out your dad isn’t the smartest or strongest person in the world. Or like finding out Santa Claus isn’t real. Or like finding out those girls in the knee high boots down at the corner aren’t interested in dating you for more than 15 minutes.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/26/10 at 02:44 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

AAA, have you been sipping my kool-aid, man?

Andrew, c’mon, man, you’re mixing up your suicide cult metaphors.

Koolaid was Jim Jones cult down in South America in Jonestown.

The Nike shoes and track suit guys were the Heaven’s Gate cult. They ingested phenobarbital mixed in applesauce or pudding, washed down with vodka and topped off with plastic bags tied over their heads.

How do you expect to beat Ken Jennings’ record on Jeopardy making this kind of mistake?

wink

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/26/10 at 02:51 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 12:39 PM ET

You are correct.  We disagree.

It’s not all forced turnover though Andrew.  It’s turnover Kenny’s going to choose to make in light of this past season.

I wouldn’t feel so bad if the Wings had lost 5-4 in a hard-fought game.  But when the Wings just assume the position in a home Game 6 with a chance to eliminate a clearly-inferior opponent… you then expect the worst.

Posted by Primis on 04/26/10 at 02:55 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Sometimes their best is just not good enough

Agreed, but yesterday wasn’t a case of 23 guys playing their hearts out other than the first 20 minutes. The final 40 pretty much fizzled and I’m sticking to my opinion that wasn’t their best.
I don’t think Phoenix really was playing above their level yesterday (if so it’s not that high of a level but a very consistent one), not like it was a once in a lifetime performance. They won alot of games this year played out in similar fashion.
Highs and lows are part of playoff hockey, the lowest lows always follow high expectations.
There’s another game to be played before I toss in the towel.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/26/10 at 03:06 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Bryzgalov is hot.
Told my brother on Friday that the key to beating a hot goaltender….
may look like getting him moving side to side,
but it is backhands.

Think back to what won for us Friday, and then think of yesterday’s performance.
I already cleared it from my DVR, so I can’t check, but I remember a distinct absence of backhands.

Bryzgalov is hot, Nabakov, and Luongo are not….but they get a few extra days to work on their game.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/26/10 at 03:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The big red machine is reluctantly and gradually becoming victims of the salary cap.

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not outright agreeing with some trolls here, but this looks like pointing a finger to me, Gramps.  The Salary cap applies to everybody the same way.

While I agree that, in a capped system, it does benefit a team that has multiple years of high draft picks (Penguins, Capitals, Blackhawks), but I’m not as comfortable using it as a crutch here.  Yes, I can agree that the parity the league has tried to build into its own system has made it more difficult, but I still believe the Wings have the best developmental and scouting system in the league and that gives us an advantage.

When Brad Stuart *#$%@& up, I’m not yelling at my television about the salary cap and I’m sure as shit not looking at a mirror, shrugging, and saying “well, I should accept this and expect more of it”.  2007-08 was a capped year too and we won the cup (relatively) easily with a squad as talented as the one we have today.

No, when the Wings lose a gut-wrenching playoff game, I’m neither accepting it or calling them heartless.  I expect them to play their best every single game.  The Red Wings got outworked yesterday, not out-salary-capped.  I’m completely comfortable pointing fingers all around and saying that Brad Stuart needs to try simplifying his game, Bertuzzi should recognize a backchecker pinching the boards between him and his defender better, Franzen needs to go to the middle, and Babcock needs to keep the hammer down on all of them to make sure the team concept of the game stays consistent.  The didn’t lack heart, they lacked focus.  They didn’t lack skill, they lacked focus.

Also, as has been alluded to several times over several places, the Coyotes are playing very, very well.  Their game is simple and their focus is keen.  I’ve supported him all year, but Babcock is getting outcoached by Tippett in this series.  Tippett’s job is a bit easier than Babcocks, since he’s behind the Cinderella ‘Yotes and I don’t foresee a loss by the Wings in this series as a reason to do anything coaching-wise other than congratulating Tippett, but Mike’s going to have to have his best game since game 4 and I’m expecting nothing less from him.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/10 at 03:13 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Andrew, c’mon, man, you’re mixing up your suicide cult metaphors.

That actually was the reason I was doing it—I knew what I was doing.  Though admittedly, I did neglect Marshall Applewhite’s (from memory—like it?) preferred method of mass suicide.  I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.

Completely in agreement on that one, Primis—but then, Kenny’s had to make tough decisions in the past, and shown that he has the nous to do so.  He has his share of mistakes though, so I’m not saying he’s perfect.  I just hope with the players he’s forced to let go and those he signs this summer, that he makes the right decisions.  Frankly, there are none of the other twenty-nine GMs that I’d trust more with those decisions.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/26/10 at 03:25 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen!

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 04/26/10 at 03:32 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Do the teams get reseeded after round 1? Doesnt whoever win tomorrow play SJ?

Posted by pgoody on 04/26/10 at 03:42 PM ET