Abel to Yzerman

It’s A Skate To The Throat Kind of Sunday

I’ve never tried to hide what Game 7s do to me.  They make me a wreck, nothing but a shadow of the calm, composed, well adjusted adult I am on most other days.

For fans of other teams, with expectations much lower than ours?  A Game 7 can mean opportunity, a new way of life even.  If they win, oh the rapture.

Us? All we imagine is horror.

So let’s avoid that shall we?

Let’s go ahead and press down.  Slice the mother through and through.  Skate to the throat.  Press down for the sake of domestic animals from Michigan to Malibu.

13 to 12.

9 until Redemption begins.

Filed in: Admitting I'm Wrong, | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›      Next »

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

will just have to settle for Tennent’s and my Speyside single malt in the mean time.

Can take or leave Tennant’s (though I’m partial to McEwan 80/-, but what Speyside malt?  I’m more of a Highland man myself, but a rich, velvety, deep amber Cardhu is always welcome.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/25/10 at 03:41 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The “Imperial” IPA moniker is used by many breweries, usually equates to a distinct doubling of effective Hops blast feel to the mouth.  Incredible.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/25/10 at 03:43 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Come on, Detroit - no more late nights in this series. Odds are there will be enough in the next series anyway, if you can make it there.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/25/10 at 03:43 PM ET

Short and sweet seems to be working, Chief.  I like it.

I’m only going to be able to see the first period but I will be thinking about the Wings at Mass.  Think they’ll be able to understand the weird guy with the IV stand and Jameson’s mainline?  Naaah…don’t expect them to.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/25/10 at 03:45 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Hey Baroque is LB! Awesome.

I have to go pee out in the shower the human-filtered 22 oz Green Flash before the game starts!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/25/10 at 03:46 PM ET

Nati's avatar

Just checking in before the puck drop. I won’t be LBing today, again. In hope of a win. I have my Datsyuk shirt on, so look for him to score again. In the mean time, I’m watching Marley and me and crying. That movie is absolutely killer. So here we go.

LGRW

Posted by Nati from school or work, either would apply on 04/25/10 at 03:47 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

RWBill…nice game day beer selection once again…I’m going with a real special brew to start this game: 2007 Deschutes “Abyss”...it’s an Imperial Stout aged in oak whisky barrels for one year prior to bottling…tilts the scales at about 10% abv.

LGRW!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/25/10 at 03:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

No Doan for warmup.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/25/10 at 03:47 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Sure, but historically “Imperial” was used to describe Baltic porter, strong dark stuff exported originally for the Russian Tsars and then all over the Baltic.  IPA was a different product, not as strong (though still strong) intended for the south Asian export market.  Still, they can call it Phat Stank IPA as long as we’re talking lots of IBUs, dry-hopping, and long brew times for all I care.

Don’t forget about the bacon smokiness, Bill.  The salt and grease are only part of the overwhelming goodness that is The Bacon.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/25/10 at 03:48 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

No Doan for warmup.
Posted by Paul from Motown Area

Oh darn.

Good mornin’ all.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/25/10 at 03:49 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Imperial Stout

There’s the term.

Oak-aged beer is the shiz.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/25/10 at 03:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Incredible, WestWing, you’re on a tremendous roll the past 2 weeks.  I’mma gonna go pee in the shower.

I had the North Coast “Old Stock” last night, very similar to the Bell’s “Third Coast Ale”.  Who knew beer could be so complex?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/25/10 at 03:50 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Hey, Osrt, how you doin’? Miss me?

Posted by Guilherme

You and four other males. Like a bad rash that “virgin” gave me.

Posted by Osrt on 04/25/10 at 03:50 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Tucked away a bowl of Fruity Pebbles and the world seems ...brighter.

Hockey in the morning….what’s not to love?!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/25/10 at 03:51 PM ET

Anyone have the URL for the YouTube video that had Daren helm at the begining say this was the best part of my life and all the clips were in reverse?

Posted by Ron from Toledo on 04/25/10 at 03:51 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

and yes the term “Imperial IPA” is essentially a double IPA…also sometimes referred to as American IPA or occasionally even West Coast style…basically means they amp the hop content to the gills, and perhaps leave a touch of sweetness to mitigate the high abv, not to mention the bitterness…

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/25/10 at 03:52 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

thought I’d toot my own horn and repost this for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet…
Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/25/10 at 01:36 PM ET

Why NOT, it was awesome, I have watched it several times…..

GO WINGS!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/25/10 at 03:52 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Hockey in the morning….what’s not to love?!

N B freaking C, but I understand.

Don’t know how long I will stick around - hard to type when all your fingers are crossed and you are rocking back and forth in a fetal position.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/25/10 at 03:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jeebus, how does Osrt keep coming up with the shiz like that?

Gonna go pee in the shower and pause the NBC feed, u bitches make me laugh.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/25/10 at 03:53 PM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

You and four other males. Like a bad rash that “virgin” gave me.

I know you’re second guessing yourself for not sleeping on the floor with us.

What’s up bitches.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 04/25/10 at 03:53 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

You and four other males. Like a bad rash that “virgin” gave me.

Yeah, I miss that too. Or not.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/25/10 at 03:55 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

ding ding ding!...give that man a cigar and an A+ in “Beer History”

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/25/10 at 03:56 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/25/10 at 01:52 PM ET

Yes, the “San Diego style”, via Lagunitas, Stone, Green Flash etc… I never “got” beer until I discovered Stone IPA, which led to a whole new world.

I still gotta go pee in the shower, bitches, you’re making me late to the game….

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/25/10 at 03:56 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Okay, okay, I get it.  Just pointing out that it’s not a ‘historical’ style.  Sheesh.

I won’t believe Doan’s actually out until puck drop.  Tippett’s a devious bastard.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/25/10 at 03:57 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Anyone on the surf channel? Is poker on the game’s channel?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/25/10 at 03:57 PM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

Ah, NBC’s leading into the game with the traditional “Tits & Poker” programming.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 04/25/10 at 03:57 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Answered.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/25/10 at 03:58 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/25/10 at 01:53 PM ET

I’m to intently watching the game to join in. Intermission is usually when I join the 19.

3 minutes.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/25/10 at 03:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

bitches….  LGRW

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/25/10 at 03:59 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Homer’s blog..

“Mostly I try with other side of Homer toward goalie.”

Good stuff.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/25/10 at 04:00 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

ding ding ding!...give that man a cigar and an A+ in “Beer History”

Aw thanks, WestWing.  Make it a Cohiba Robusto, and make sure it’s Habanos SA, not that Dominican papier-mache besmirching their good name.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/25/10 at 04:00 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Ready bitches? Let’s roll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/25/10 at 04:00 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

No Doan?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/25/10 at 04:00 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Pheonix: Proud Owners of a Losing Tradition.

Oh that’s good.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/25/10 at 04:00 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

I know you’re second guessing yourself for not sleeping on the floor with us.

What’s up bitches.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler

Sup bro, good to see you here. I loved you so I had to let you go and you came back, now I know you’re mine.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor

Agreed. And thanks for the historical beer lessons everyone. I want to be more of a cono…conno…fan.

Posted by Osrt on 04/25/10 at 04:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

gotta pee in the shower.  douche canoe mofo.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/25/10 at 04:01 PM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

Jesus Christ that’s not a one-timer.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 04/25/10 at 04:02 PM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

No Doan?

No Doan. Custance says he was spotted in a hoodie.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 04/25/10 at 04:03 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

For me, Wings. No more Tyson Nash.

Posted by Tyler from Arizona on 04/25/10 at 01:30 PM ET

This.  More than anything, this.

Morning bitches.  I’m waiting for my Aunt to show up so I’ll be starting the game late - I’ll be back once we’re live.

Doan officially scratched.  Aww.  Jwil gone for Happy next season.  Aww.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 04/25/10 at 04:03 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

No Doan. Custance says he was spotted in a hoodie.

In Foxborough???