Abel to Yzerman

It’s Mock Draft Time

Corey Pronman of The Athletic (paid) with a mock draft today...

4. Detroit Red Wings: Cole Perfetti, C, Saginaw-OHL

The draft starts to get interesting and more wide-open starting with Detroit’s pick. I’ve heard Lucas Raymond mentioned with the Red Wings, but a fair amount of sources seem to think the team likes Cole Perfetti a lot. His elite skill and hockey IQ with average feet and size has a lot of resemblance to Brayden Point, who Detroit GM Steve Yzerman picked during his tenure in Tampa Bay.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

d ca's avatar

Please no….find a way to trade with LA they have prospect forwards and need a prospect d-man…

...if not find a way to move down 3 spots as prospects 4-9 are so similar in rankings someone has to want Drysdale.

Posted by d ca on 08/10/20 at 11:38 PM ET

Im hoping for Marco Rossi, 100 percent

Posted by ThatGuy on 08/10/20 at 11:39 PM ET

d ca's avatar

I’m okay with Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz, Raymond, then Perfetti. The reason is I’ve read and heard that Perfetti isn’t even clost to a strong skating forward and relies on position rather than speed to beat opponents. So he won’t be a C but a winger at the NHL level.

Drysdale as a RHD would not be an ideal fit in Detroit because of RHD Seider and Hronek, but to me is the ‘best player available at 4.’ He’d be my pick.

There was a website article I read that I can’t find now that rated these prospects on a scale you more commonly see in MLB out of 60 for each trait (skating, shot, vision,etc)..if anyone finds it. Let me know I’d like to take a 2nd read of it.

but speaking of the NHL Draft this needs to be covered: Bob McKenzie’s semi-retirement….
Bob]https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1292787749075013632/photo/1]Bob McKenzie’s twiiter feed[/url]

Detroit has 4, 32, 46, (most likely high 50’s), 63, 65, and more in 4-7. I’d like to see them bundle pick in the high 50’s with 63 & 65 and move up high in round 2 or trade for a prospect/ young NHL-ready goalie. So the can expect 4 players from this draft.

Posted by d ca on 08/11/20 at 12:53 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

The (only) downside I see to picking Drysdale, is that next year’s draft is apparently swimming with quality defensemen at the top of the list.  The Wings need everything (literally everything but an upgrade at GM and logo), so I think it’d be hard to go wrong.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 08/11/20 at 10:08 AM ET

nEgativezEro's avatar

Pronman at the Athletic did that as well:

Lucas Raymond, LW, Frolunda-SHL

7. Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie-OHL

April 8, 2002 | 5-foot-11 | 175 pounds

Skating: 65
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 40
Hockey Sense: 65

It sounds like Perfetti is the current expectation there, and him being in the backyard playing in Saginaw doesn’t hurt. I like Raymond a lot too, and I think he may have the little something extra that could separate him from the pack down the road. I wouldn’t hate getting Drysdale if they go that path, but by all accounts it sounds like the top forwards are expected to be higher impact players, position notwithstanding.

Posted by nEgativezEro on 08/11/20 at 12:02 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 08/11/20 at 10:08 AM ET

I think you basically have to take d-men from here on out (barring a shot at a Lafreniere-level in the next few drafts), because DET still has to fill so many top D slots.  I mean, I hate to say it but the Perfettis, Raymonds, etc, will all be there next year, and the year after, and the year after.. the struggle is in getting the d-men (and then a goalie).

Posted by Primis on 08/11/20 at 02:27 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I think you basically have to take d-men from here on out

Posted by Primis on 08/11/20 at 02:27 PM ET

I’m reminded each year in the post season how much an elite dman means to a team, like Seth Jones Petrangelo Hedman, etc. They make good teams great, and mediocre teams competitive.

That said, when your picking in the top 5, I just don’t view that as a pick a position of need pick, top 5 should be all about the premium of the talent, and star potential IMO.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 08/11/20 at 03:56 PM ET

We could really use a defenseman like Drysdale and
his game sounds like a great complement to what Seider
brings, though they are both righties.

Agreed our needs our so varied we need the highest
end player available. I’m just not sure the forwards likely
to be available have that combination of hard to miss and
high end talent.

Posted by lefty.30 on 08/11/20 at 05:33 PM ET

Lucce's avatar

Detroit needs a center, the second best center this year is from Finland. Anton Lundell. Anyone who gets him gets a NHL ready center. He did play against men this year and is scoring goals and has an ability to be at the right place at the right time. The only downside is his skating.

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 08/12/20 at 07:10 AM ET