Abel to Yzerman

It’s Huskins

Schedule the parade.  It's Kent Huskins.

With their blue line reeling from injury on top of injury, the Detroit Red Wings added veteran depth in the form of Kent Huskins on Tuesday.

Huskins, originally drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in 1998, has six seasons of NHL experience with the Anaheim Ducks, San Jose Sharks, and St. Louis Blues. In 299 career NHL games, he has 13 goals, 54 assists and is a plus-49 with 169 penalty minutes.

He will be in the Red Wings' lineup for their home opener against the Dallas Stars tonight, filling the spot of Carlo Colaiacovo, who was injured in Detroit's shootout win over the Columbus Blue Jackets last night.

His deal is reportedly for one season and is a one-way contract.

That's courtesy of Clark Rasmussen and the always reliable detroithockey.net.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Rumbear's avatar

Alright Huskins!

Wait…who?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, fanning the flames, with rum..... on 01/22/13 at 12:12 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

who?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 01/22/13 at 12:14 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Is this redolent?

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/22/13 at 12:15 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

But don’t try and put a happy face on this shit sandwich of a blue line.  Fix it and fix it right or blow some shit up

Thank you Ken “move along, nothing to see here, I really like our team,” Holland

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/22/13 at 12:16 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Yay, another warm body. Hopefully this one won’t break 3 times in his first 2 games.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/22/13 at 12:16 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

better than Lebda.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/22/13 at 12:21 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

This shapes out to be an exhibition season.

Posted by detroitredwings on 01/22/13 at 12:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Filipino lady-boys
Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/21/13 at 11:35 PM ET

I am familar with this disturbing phenomenon.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 12:25 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Keep Lashoff - forever!

Posted by MsRedWinger from the State where Tigers roam in the Spring on 01/22/13 at 12:26 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

ASSETS: Plays a safe brand of hockey that keeps the mistakes to a minimum. Is very dependable and will play through injuries.

FLAWS: Lacks the overall skills to contribute on offense consistently. Does not use his good size nearly enough. Is injured a lot.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Depth defenseman.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 01/22/13 at 12:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Also, thanks to whoever for this, I don’t remember.

“frageeeelayyy”

Huh, must be Italian..

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 12:28 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Bold , tick tock, real bold.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 01/22/13 at 12:29 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Is injured a lot.

jUST WHAT WE NEEDED.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/22/13 at 12:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

“Will play through injuries”

Yes, other players’ injuries.

Did someone say NyQuil up for Sammy??  I mean, other than dreaming out loud?

If so, for God’s sake play him on the 2d line not the 4th!

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 12:31 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

Good Fuching Lord

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Roanoke, VA on 01/22/13 at 12:32 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

so I guess there was nobody available from the local beer league eh?

When our next D man goes down, and this will happen we all know that, then who do we call up/sign?

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/22/13 at 12:34 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

You know, I hate to be “that guy,” but what the *#$%@& do you expect Holland to do with the season underway?

I know people in this instant gratification society get tired of the “just wait” refrain, but just wait. Wait until teams start using their amnesty buyouts; wait until this season* is over and the cap goes down. He didn’t spend stupid money to have the Wings win *NOW*, and maybe, just maybe, it’ll pay off in the very near future.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 12:37 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

If so, for God’s sake play him on the 2d line not the 4th!

Khan(!)‘s tweet says he’ll play with Filppula and Franzén.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/22/13 at 12:39 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

[quote(However, if Holland doesn’t jettison some of the dead weight this off-season, then I’ll start with the second-guessing)]

Does that include Babcock?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 01/22/13 at 12:40 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Does that include Babcock?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 01/22/13 at 12:40 PM ET

Hell, I’ve been second-guessing Babcock for the past couple of years now.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 12:46 PM ET

Man, Holland is so dumb.  He should have gone out and gotten a big-time player and spent a bunch of money so that next year he’d have to cut a bunch of guys loose.

What a dope.

News flash, people: Parise and Suter did Detroit a HUGE EFFING FAVOR when they signed in Minnesota.

There’s no cap space for big moves.  If Holland had made one now it would have meant not even being able to make a decent offer to Fil or Howard next year.  And even more besides.

Huskins is just a guy.  Big whoop.  This year’s going to be a joke anyway.  Blowing up the teams cap structure for years to come just to try and square things away in 2013 is d, u, m… dum.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/22/13 at 12:55 PM ET

Yeah, because that’s the only option.

It’s not like he didn’t spend money.  He spent it on Samuelsson and Tootoo and Colaiacovo and Quincey.

And God forbid Holland shoud make a move for a big-time player and have to rely on all the scrubs like Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, etc who are overripening in GR.

Whereas now he’s going to overpay for a third line centre and keep pretending he’s a second line centre.  Kind of like how he he re-signed Quincey and signed Colaiacovo, pretending that they were acceptable replacements for Lidstrom and Stuart.

Yeah, yeah, I know you can’t replace Lidstrom, but you can do something more than just fill your blueline with depth defensemen.  But oh, I guess that’s worked so well with the teeam’s overabundance of bottom-six forwards, right?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 01:07 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

1 game with st . louise last season

Posted by Rdwings28 on 01/22/13 at 01:17 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I know you’re not responding to something I said, but those guys (except for Tootoo) are stopgaps. This is a 48-game season*, and the Grand Rapids boys have been playing well up there this entire time. If the season* had started on time, I could see Nyquist and Tatar being here already; as it stands—barring injuries, of course (which have obviously already happened)—wouldn’t you rather them get full minutes in Grand Rapids where they’re already rolling along pretty well?

... Kind of like how he he re-signed Quincey and signed Colaiacovo, pretending that they were acceptable replacements for Lidstrom and Stuart.

I still have that press conference on my DVR. Wasn’t the quote something like, “We’ve signed Vomitrocket and Stained Glass Cocov… Kokam… whatevertheshithisnameis as direct replacements for Lidstrom and Stuart, because that’s how I roll—and anyone who doubts me can suck it long, and suck it hard.”

Or maybe that didn’t really happen, and those guys were signed as temporary measures.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 01:07 PM ET

This is what’s known as a “transition period,” and quite often said transition is not as seamless as people might hope.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 01:19 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

He was the second line center on a cup winning team.  Fil is not one of the top, oh, 8 weak spots on this roster.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/22/13 at 01:20 PM ET

Kate from AZ-made in Detroit's avatar

Does that include Babcock?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 01/22/13 at 12:40 PM ET

Fingers crossed.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from AZ-made in Detroit on 01/22/13 at 01:27 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Stop gap?  How many D FA’s have signed with new teams since Rafalski retired?  At that point we knew Lidas only had 1 or 2 more in him as he started doing his year by year after that.  How long did they know Stuey was having familial issues and planned on leaving?  How much talent has changed teams since and what’ve we got to show for it?  Q and CC.  One having a long documented history of injury and the other one that you waived to keep Derek Meech.  Then you re-signed him for almost the same amount as stuey, in the same ballpark.

I feel like he’s mis-allocated his funds.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 01:37 PM ET

And how long did the previous CBA have before it expired? How many of those players are in danger of being bought out, traded, or otherwise moved?

The Wings are sitting pretty financially in regards to the future; they may not win NOW NOW NOW ZOMG NOW, but are in pretty good shape to make serious runs at any FAs that pop up.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 01:43 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

You honestly think Karlsson is going to be bought out?  Teams are gonna dump Yandle’s and Letang’s, watch out Chara.. you really think that?

Paging Mike Komisarek.  That’s what you’re gonna get.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 01:46 PM ET

No I don’t.

Those guys, however, aren’t going ANYWHERE. They are crucial to their teams and will be built around (with the possible exception of anyone in Phoenix) until they demand a trade or retire.

Please, stop putting words in my mouth/fingers.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 01:51 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

(cross-posting to make sure it gets through)

And look, you can call me a “Holland Apologist,” a “Holland Fanboi,” or whatever you want—I really don’t care.

Everyone has their own opinions, and there’s not a very good chance of anyone swaying anyone else. As long as you don’t start calling me names and/or belittling me for not sharing the same brainwave, everything’s fine; I’ll definitely extend you the same courtesy.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 01:55 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Red, give it up.  You’re not going to convince those who have already made up their minds that Holland is an incompetent GM, a loser and all in all a horrible human being.  I’m with you, I’ll wait while we get through this pretend season and look forward to next year.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/22/13 at 01:58 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 01:58 PM ET

Oh, no, I’m not trying to sway anyone, just attempting to defend my position—no matter how poorly I may be doing it.

I’m under no illusions that anyone on this site can be swayed; we’re a—dare I say it—redolent bunch.

Just stay civil to one another. Ousiders can eat a cock, however.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 02:01 PM ET

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 01:58 PM ET

Do us all a favour and get down off the cross.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:04 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Do us all a favour and get down off the cross.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:04 PM ET

Hold a grudge much dude?  I disagree with you.  I’m not calling you names, I’m not disparaging your parents and I’m not attacking you.  Grow up.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/22/13 at 02:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Do us all a favour and get down off the cross.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:04 PM ET

God damn you Garth! You fuchin’ asshhole! Everything’s a fuchin’ travesty with you, man! And what was all that siht about Vietnam? What the FUCH, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuch are you talking about?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/22/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Hold a grudge much dude?

Regarding what, exactly?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:16 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 01:58 PM ET

I, personally, don’t think he’s any of those things. What I do think is he’s been doing a real shitty job the last few years. Unless, of course, you count the Bertuzzi re-signing….

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/22/13 at 02:19 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hold a grudge much dude?

Regarding what, exactly?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:16 PM ET

Short term memory loss is a terrible thing.  You’ve been after me since yesterday when I disagreed with you.  Let’s agree to disagree and move on.  No hard feelings on my part… hope I can expect the same from you?

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/22/13 at 02:21 PM ET

You’ve been after me since yesterday when I disagreed with you.

Wow, he’s a martyr AND he’s self-important.

You really think I’m “after you”?  And I’m the one who has to grow up, right?  Make sure to check your rearview on the way home, cal, because I’m probably following you!

There’s nothing for me to move on from because I genuinely don’t know what the hell you think I’m holding a grudge about.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:24 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Okay Garth, whatever you say.  Have a nice life.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/22/13 at 02:28 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:24 PM ET

Dude, what the hell?

Who pissed in your oatmeal today?

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 02:42 PM ET