Abel to Yzerman

It’s Early October, Of Course You’ll Stay Up

If the Lions had blown a 24 point lead to Green Bay today, I might have been in a deep stupor by now.  I'm pretty sure I would not have handled that well.

But...they didn't. And here we are.

Babcock-lite told us we'd see "60 minutes of Hell". He said it. He even had t-shirts made.

We didn't see much Hell the other night. We saw a lot of scared kids, playing conservatively, afraid to make mistakes.

We also saw:

-Karen Newman in leather, Hank Zetterberg looking as uncomfortable as I've ever seen him, lots of empty seats, Darren Helm losing the handle on not one but two semi-breakaways.

We also saw a weak 5-hole goal through Jimmy Howard, surrounded by an otherwise pretty good effort from him.

We heard of Sid Crosby staring at a glamour shot of Zetterberg during the '09 playoffs, recalling the jolly days a year prior when Hank owned his ass.

We saw little of AA or Larkin and, really, not much of anything at all offensively.  That's discouraging.

We've also heard since than that our can't miss first rounder was even more invisible in his GR debut. Also discouraging.

But, baby Jesus invented Game 2's for a reason and I'm thinking we may see a team that may more resemble the one we could potentially enjoy the rest of the year. Looser. Faster. Ready to take advantage of a four missed field goals and an extra frigging point.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.

LGRW

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

TheRealYooper's avatar

60 minutes of hell

how about 60 minutes of limbo?

LGRW!

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/07/18 at 09:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I made a huge mistake last night and will probably regret it tonight.

Friend asked me to join him to watch UFC match.

Long story short, fell asleep around 130am, up at 7am, now fighting sleepy eyes.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/07/18 at 09:33 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I also thought the Lions would find a way to blow a 24-0 lead to Raccoon Face. They hung on. Barely. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 10/07/18 at 09:50 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Posted by bigfrog

The Lions crushed my heart many years ago. I watch from time to time, and listen to the game sometimes, but mostly, it is just a quick glance at the box score the next day to see how they managed to loose again.

Except for games against the Packers. I live in Da U. P. eh? and for the first 20 years of my life the only Lions fans I knew of were myself and my Dad.  Everybody else wore the Green and Gold. Made me sick to see that, could never understand why these people had become so infected, but what can you do? They are a lost cause.

Packer games where we win bring a smile to my face, I go about attempting to meet up with all my infected friends, just to say hay, and see how things are. I never gloat or rub salt in the wound, but they know, and I know what happened. And so much is said with out saying a word.

But this game, this game was special, their kicker missed the uprights so many times I lost count, it was sweet.

I hear the Pack is looking into the possibilities if Charles Brown would be willing to play for them.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/07/18 at 09:59 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Howdy bitches. Nothing like a west coast road trip to get try and get some team unity. Especially with all the youngsters.
Yoop I noticed 25 years ago just going to wall mart and seeing all packer merchandise and almost no lion stuff in cheboygan Michigan. Just weird how that market is.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 10/07/18 at 10:16 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Only 8:15 here.  Gotta love the Mountain Time Zone!

Howdy, bitches!  Let’s light up this Campbell kid!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:17 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

How true Real Yooper. I have a Nephew who lives in the UP. He is tired of Slacker fans. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 10/07/18 at 10:20 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That’s cool, Yooper.

I think many did expect the Lions to blow a second half 24 point lead, after all this is the Lions, and not a very good defensive one at that, and even a lame Aaron Rodgers can work miracles, i.e. game 1 vs Bears.

Blashill, and the entire hockey world, acknowledge that Vanek has some of the best scoring hands around the net in today’s league, and also that he’s not very quick, henceforth has had a good career around the net on PPs.  So Blashill makes him a puck chaser and high slot guy on the PP.  Vanek says he’ll adjust to it.

Mantha is good around the net and also has a highly accurate snap shot inside 25 feet, so will be a net front while Vanek chases the puck.  OK.  Stealth tank.

Posted by RWBill on 10/07/18 at 10:21 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Late night for this hockey fan, but, it’s early October so I’ll stay up.  wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/07/18 at 10:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Atta way, Bitches.  I’ll try to hang with you but am on the road so will have to try to watch on my pad and possibly read comments on my phone,  as l9ng as I can keep both from runn8ng out of battery.  Only have 1 cable.

Posted by RWBill on 10/07/18 at 10:24 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Do not know how long I am gonna last with this game.

Got SoCo and Guinness on standby, but can’t stay up too late, have birds to feed at my dad’s chicken ranch in the mornings.

Time to turn on my Red Lava lamp for the game.

60 minutes of Hell

LGRW

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/07/18 at 10:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

What I meant to say in response to the above, what Blashill is giving us is 60 minutes of Hell to watch.

Posted by RWBill on 10/07/18 at 10:26 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I was sure the Lions were going to blow that lead. I’m at Staples and even though the Wings aren’t the force they once were, there’s still a ton of red in the arena.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 10/07/18 at 10:30 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hejsan y’all !!!

Lets Go Red Wings…  Clap Clap Clap

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/07/18 at 10:31 PM ET

60 minutes of….something.

LGRW

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/07/18 at 10:35 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Good to know captain.
Don’t know how long I’ll last tonite after working the weekend but I’m off tomorrow. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 10/07/18 at 10:36 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Howdy boys and girls. What will we see tonight? I hope at least it’s entertaining or I’ll lose half oy you by midway 2nd period.  LOL

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 10/07/18 at 10:38 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

If I can make it for 60 minutes tonight, I’ll be surprised; Booze and Benzos trying to help me be sleepy for a 4:15am alarm.

I’ll stick around as long as possible.

Let’s drop this shit.

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/07/18 at 10:39 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Dang, the camera seems a lot closer in this arena.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:42 PM ET

Nothing like having to kill a double minor to start the game… shut eye

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/07/18 at 10:43 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Phangoof is cut, Bertonezzi must have change his stick to a stone tomahawk.

Phangoof is a neanderthal, is the point I’m trying to make here.

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/07/18 at 10:44 PM ET

Phangoof is a neanderthal, is the point I’m trying to make here.

That’s a pretty mean thing to say

about Neanderthal’s   smile

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/07/18 at 10:45 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Why does Ken Holland hate Joe Hicketts?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:46 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I’m going to OWM, but I feel more comfortable with Bernie in goal than Howard.

By a LOT.

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/07/18 at 10:46 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

That’s a pretty mean thing to say

about Neanderthal’s

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/07/18 at 10:45 PM ET

And I mean no disrespect to our ancient ancestors.

Why does Ken Holland hate Joe Hicketts?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:46 PM ET

Rotating young D to see who gets to stick around in the system

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/07/18 at 10:47 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Sulak looking like the real deal but it is early.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 10/07/18 at 10:48 PM ET

kilt it

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/07/18 at 10:49 PM ET

calquake's avatar

AA has gotta work on faceoffs if he wants to be a difference maker.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 10/07/18 at 10:51 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Good kill. Now,get goin on o fence.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 10/07/18 at 10:51 PM ET

Sulak looking like the real deal but it is early.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 10/07/18 at 10:48 PM ET

He’ll likely make mistakes at the beginning of the season as aggressive as he is, but I’m fine with that.  Learn the speed at the NHL level, and hopefully he’ll get better at picking his spots as the season goes along

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/07/18 at 10:52 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Sulak looking like the real deal but it is early.

He’s gotta learn to pick his spots a little better, but yeah, he looks like a keeper so far.

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/07/18 at 10:53 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Every game, I’ve seen Roni choke up on his stick to keep the puck in the zone.

Interesting method, but I like it.

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/07/18 at 10:55 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

The Dion = Backpfeifengesicht

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:56 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Rut roh…

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 10/07/18 at 10:56 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Crap.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:57 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

What happened to Daley. No replay in arena.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 10/07/18 at 10:57 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

The Dion = Backpfeifengesicht

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:56 PM ET

Had to look it up, but 100% agreed.

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/07/18 at 10:57 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Can’t blame the King for that one.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:58 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

The Dion = Backpfeifengesicht

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 10/07/18 at 10:56 PM ET

I’d also add Marchand and Kadri to that list.

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/07/18 at 10:58 PM ET

What happened to Daley. No replay in arena.

Fell awkwardly shooting the puck and head went into Kings’ player’s knee.  Unfortunate innocent play.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/07/18 at 10:59 PM ET