Abel to Yzerman

It’s A Stress Train Weekend

First: go here. Read it. Heed it. Act.

I've got bad feelings about Jim Leyland's Tigers. Can't pinpoint it, just do.  The visions I've had are not good. Like getting swept not good. Can't explain it. A gut feeling.

I've got bad feelings about Michigan. Akron and UCONN, those powerhouses, exposed them.

I don't think the Lions can beat Green Bay in Green Bay or in Saginaw Bay.

But...

...as always, we've got the Wings. And beer. For everyone. The whole weekend.  You're going to need it, I'm afraid.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.  A down south friendly tonight and the Big, Bad Bruins tomorrow. The beast of the Big, Tough East.

Whatever happened to Acid Queen? Remember her? She hated the Wings. Despised us, too. I think she actually wished a nuclear explosion on our quaint little town.  Ah well.  They come and they go, just like Max Mercy said.

Game 2. 12 in 14.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4

Nate A's avatar

Bam, Weezy

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/04/13 at 09:32 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

GOAL WEISS- WIN, WIN, WIN

WOO HOO

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 10/04/13 at 09:33 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

HWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by Hootinani on 10/04/13 at 09:33 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

WOOO!!!!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 10/04/13 at 09:33 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Weiss with the game winner! And no gamewreckers.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/04/13 at 09:34 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Good timing.  NOw for the Tigers game!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 10/04/13 at 09:35 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

And just in time for the start of the Tigs game. Love it.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/04/13 at 09:35 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

We gotta do something about Smith and Cleary. Me no likey.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/04/13 at 09:35 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

“Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. Where a game can actually be tied in the final minutes with the goalie pulled and then won in OT. I’m talking about a little place called the Eastern conference.”

Posted by pgoody on 10/04/13 at 09:38 PM ET

perfection's avatar

HOLY CRAP what a game!

Seeing that Sammy was getting goon minutes I’d say there’s at least a good chance Tats replaces him tomorrow.

Man, at the end of the game seeing that Alfie, Weiss, Franzen, Z, Dats, Kronwall line, it almost reminded me of some glorious years of the past. Pretty awesome to see.

and I so loved alfie’s soccer kick out of mid air in the dzone right before the tying goal. probably prevented an open net opportunity. Alfie was friggin awesome all night. His shot really is like nothing we’ve had in town for a long time. Weiss was better and obviously came up huge in the end which will hopefully give him a boost. Franzen disappeared for a lot of the game but was truly a mule on the last goal. That was awesome.

man what a great win at this time of the year. keep the streak going. every point counts.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/04/13 at 09:40 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Evening bitches and—W00t!!!

Haven’t been around much yet this young season. The Eastern Conference is going to take some getting used to on this coast.  Got home just in time to grab some dinner, watch the 3rd period and OT and now it’s Tiger Time!

So far I’m feelin’ lucky tonight!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 10/04/13 at 09:41 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Anybody sticking around keep this thing going for a Tigers LB?

Posted by pgoody on 10/04/13 at 09:56 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Two lower level seats to see the Wings:$100
Beer from the brewpub:$40
Overpriced arena food:$0

Introducing RWBill to my wife and friends as a sexual deviant I met on the Internet:

PRICELESS.

Posted by dougie on 10/04/13 at 10:32 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So, some thoughts:

* Weiss and Alfredsson are DEFINITELY upgrades, by a wide margin.  Weiss in particular looks like he might kill it this year.  I know we want 20-25, but if he stays heathy and playing well 30 seems quite possible.  I still have concerns about Alfredsson’s stamina for a full schedule and he has definite ability still too, but man Weiss really *is* what Fil never was.  You can see it already, he has a killer instinct Fil didn’t.

* Quincey and Smith remain just abysmal.  Until one of them is moved for an upgrade at d-man I still really fear for DET’s ability against the better teams.  Was ANYONE the least bit surprised that Dvorak’s goal came with both Quincey and Smith whiffing on that puck?  No, nobody was.

* Abdelkader scores while playing with Pav and Z, so what does Babcock do later in the game?  Puts Cleary with them.  F*ck you, Mike Babcock.  Any and all reasoning to do that was completely flawed and dumb.

* Mickey made a good point about Kindl’s shooting.  Sometimes he hurries shots from the point with no screens in front and nobody there to get a rebound.  That’s where you wait a second, then move the puck on if the shot’s not still there.

* Z is infuriating at times.  He drives wide and behind the net so often teams predict it and d-men shut it down.  Is it too much to ask for him to actually TRY to cut to the net with the puck once and a while?  It might then open up going behind the net sometimes as an option again.  We’ve been talking about this since last season… Z has become incredibly predictable, this is probably why his goalscoring production dropped.

Overall it was 2 pts won by a team that shows great signs offensively but still isn’t even clicking right there.  That’s a good SOG output for a team still misfiring somewhat.  Defensively the Wings are still a trainwreck though.  Man, we still really need a top 2 or 3 d-man.  Badly.

Posted by Primis on 10/04/13 at 11:34 PM ET

perfection's avatar

You’re seriously talking about trading Brendan Smith in game 2? Give him a bit man. His best moments tonight were on offense where he showed some of his unexpected sick moves. I think the decision making stuff will click eventually. He seems like a late bloomer in terms of maturity (like a lot of our super talented END-of-the-first round picks are), but he’s also only 24 years old. It definitely took Ericsson and Kindl a few years and then it pretty suddenly clicked for each of them. It’s like they got properly aligned on the tracks and just started going forward, consistently improving. I think Smith will get it. I see the mistakes you do, but I also still see a ton of raw talent. I think he just needs more NHL experience and needs to grow up a little more and in 2 or 3 seasons is going to be a real good dman for a real long time.

Quincey I could really give two shits about. He’s definitely stepped up his game in the playoffs.That’s about the only good thing I can say about him.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/05/13 at 01:14 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

4 pages for a LB??

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/05/13 at 10:40 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/05/13 at 01:14 AM ET

Everyone forgets Ericsson was a C converted to D.  I give him lots of deserved crap, but even I realize he got a late start.  He has a bit more of an excuse than others.

I’m not sure what Kindl and Smith’s reasonings are.  And I give Smith certainly more leeway than Quincey.  Quincey has years of NHL under his belt and still sucks.

4 pages for a LB??

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/05/13 at 10:40 AM ET

I know, that got me too.  I’m blaming it being an October Friday night with decent weather still.

Posted by Primis on 10/05/13 at 12:04 PM ET

dougie's avatar

4 pages for a LB??

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/05/13 at 10:40 AM ET

Well, RWBill and myself weren’t present for the LB, since we were at the game.

Just sayin’