Abel to Yzerman

In The Face Of A Hurricane West Wind

My mood hasn't changed from five hours ago, or whenver I wrote that post. I'm avoiding going home. My DVR will hum like a male Dive fan.  And I'll wait as long as I can to start watching.  It will be torture.

But, at some point, I'm going to watch this game.

In the dark recesses of our most horrific pessimism, there is hope.  You hate the playoffs because you feel you should. You despise this night because your instincts tell you to.  You know the Wings will  lose this thing because it's a defense mechanism baby Jesus gave to you as a gift.

But it's not real. The real part of you actually believes they can do this.  It might even be the logical part, if that makes any sense. Logic tells you anything can happen in a Game 7 because you've seen every scenario. No one has seen what you have. No one.

As bad as 6 was and as horrible as the last two days have been?

We're in a better place than any other fan of any other team in history.  You literally have genuine, justified, real hope that your team can advance to the Western Conference Finals.  You have that hope because of who you are and because of who they are.

You are Detroit Red Wing fans.  We are owed this night, this opportunity because we are the elite and the arrogant. You have swagger because your team is the gold standard.

Do this. Burn. This. Fuching. Conference. Down.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.  And, yes Monkey, it's on.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›      Next »

monkey's avatar

You seriously are cracking me up tonight.  Or I’m losing it completely.  (Probably the latter.)

I agree, you have lost it completely.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 05/29/13 at 06:38 PM ET

Slainte!
LGRW!!

Posted by SlimChance on 05/29/13 at 06:38 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Do this. Burn. This. Fuching. Conference. Down.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches.

Evenin’ Bitches. Command Master Chief. I thought I’d go all Uncle Mike with some Babblespeak.

“Adversity doesn’t build character it reveals it.”

It’ all on the line tonite. I would love nothing better than to be joining in a Conference Final Live Blog on Friday nite. Fuching let’s do this!

Let’s Roll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/29/13 at 06:38 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Locked and Loaded.

It’s all US tonight.

Posted by dougie on 05/29/13 at 06:39 PM ET

SYF you beautiful Hudler of the 19

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 07:36 PM ET

:takes a bow:

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/29/13 at 06:40 PM ET

Bent's avatar

So in case anyone hasn’t looked in the last game thread since the end of the game, I wanted to post this again here.

Wow, a discussion at work with a friend from Chicago, who is of course, a blackhawks fan, got me thinking.  The wings never seem to get penalty shots.  So I went back and looked on nhl.com for penalty shots, here is what I came up with.

Penalty shots against/for (regular season only):

2010-2011: 3-1
2011-2012: 4-0
2012-2013: 5-0

So in the last 3 years, the wings have had 12 penalty shots called against them, and one for.  Make of that what you will.

Discuss.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/29/13 at 06:42 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Let me start off by wishing all of you best of luck tonight. This is who we are as sports fans, it’s what we do. For crying out loud, we live blog pre-season games.

Let’s hope for the best, but ready ourselves for any eventuality. And if this is indeed the Wings last game in the Western Conference, then after the pain and bitterness subsides this coming weekend, don’t forget to take time to reflect on what an amazing, magnificent two decades we’ve witnessed in the West from our team. It is practically unparalleled in sports.

But, hell, let’s reflect on that in late-June, when we’re hoisting the Cup. We’ve got some Hawks to shock tonight.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/29/13 at 06:43 PM ET

Bickell is a poosay

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert’s Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/29/13 at 07:32 PM ET

And $0.20 sure knows how to choke a bitch.

While he’s drunk.

And punching old cab drivers.

While underaged.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/29/13 at 06:44 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I love the time you Youpers have on yours hands, I’d have never thought to research this blatant attempt to squelch the Wings via the officials.  I’m dustin’ off my tinfoil hat for this game.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 06:44 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Chief has managed to put this addiction we all share into perspective.  I’ve known for a long time.  I’m no better than the chain-smoker or the junkie who rolls up his arm and takes the spike.  I know this shit is killing me, but I can’t seem to stop.

If I live-blog at all tonight, it won’t be until later.  In the meantime, burn baby burn

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/29/13 at 06:45 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Who’s da yoopers, eh?

I’ll be trekking across your neck of the woods in 14 days

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/29/13 at 06:46 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

And $0.20 sure knows how to choke a bitch.

While he’s drunk.

And punching old cab drivers.

While underaged.

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/29/13 at 07:44 PM ET

+19!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/29/13 at 06:46 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I’ll be trekking across your neck of the woods in 14 days

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 05/29/13 at 07:46 PM ET

Do tell

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/29/13 at 06:47 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/29/13 at 07:44 PM ET

And tweeting pictures riding in limo’s with mopeds.  Or is he just that much of a friend he jumped on two grenades?  Either way, texting it was a bad idea.

Blackcocks, it’s hilarious.

But in reality, I don’t give a shit what they do.  If we all show up to play we will win.  Franzen has been silent during all of our losses and he’s been soft.  We need to see Franzen and Filpulla step up. Drive the net, puck support, finish checks, easy plays, press the play (we had a BAD habit of giving the Hawks space the last 2, we always seemed to back off them instead of force them to make the play they don’t want to).

It’s all about the Wings tonight though, F the Cawks.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 06:49 PM ET

Discuss.

35 penalty shots awarded in regular season and playoffs this year.  6 against the Wings.  That’s 1 of every 6 penalty shots being called league wide going against the Wings

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/29/13 at 06:49 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Ive been told I have issues with my man cave…I personally think it’s missing something

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/29/13 at 06:49 PM ET

Bent's avatar

I had a hard time remembering when the last wings penalty shot was, and just had to know, only took a couple of minutes.  I went back farther too, and while they weren’t as lopsided, it was still something like 22-10 since the lockout.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/29/13 at 06:51 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

We aren’t owed shit. This team has earned the right to be where it is. Hell none of us can say we were expecting this one way or another. Play the game boys. Shift by shift and work your asses off as a team.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/29/13 at 06:52 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Redheads, Jeff.  And animal heads.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 06:52 PM ET

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 05/29/13 at 07:49 PM ET

Noooiiiccce….!

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/29/13 at 06:52 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I am so prou OW MY TOOTH

Good monkey.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/29/13 at 06:53 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

So one of the links off VIP goes to soccer and the others are dead for the moment.  Of course I can’t watch soccer anymore without thinking of this:

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/29/13 at 06:53 PM ET

Redheads, Jeff.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 07:52 PM ET

Esp. ones that rip off their shirts and give lapdances.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/29/13 at 06:53 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That bow looks like it came over on the Mayflower 42Jeff… just sayin.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/29/13 at 06:55 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/29/13 at 07:53 PM ET

and for another 300 give you the “enhanced” package.. pun intended.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 06:55 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Oh I forgot this from my cave

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/29/13 at 06:55 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Good squirrel.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/29/13 at 06:55 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Seat belt is securely fastened.

Carry on bag is stowed in the overhead compartment.

MUTE button is securely pressed.

Ready. Set. Vomit.

Let’s do this.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/29/13 at 06:56 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

oh crap…that was really big..sorry

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/29/13 at 06:56 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

MOWingsfan19

from I really like our team on 05/29/13 at 07:55 PM ET

Didn’t you see the Dreamcatcher?  He’s got a theme going on, let’em do his thang.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 06:56 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

Time has expired. Take. Them. Out.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 05/29/13 at 06:57 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/29/13 at 06:57 PM ET

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/29/13 at 07:46 PM ET

That stuff is never gonna go away.  EVER.

LGRW.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/29/13 at 06:59 PM ET

Looks like a saltwater tank, Jeff.  Yes?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/29/13 at 07:00 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

That bow looks like it came over on the Mayflower 42Jeff… just sayin.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/29/13 at 07:55 PM ET

Maybe so…but it was a free Jennings that my father in law gave me.  And it got me this last fall:

But I can never stage them to NOT look like a dog so there’s also this photo

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/29/13 at 07:01 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Looks like a saltwater tank, Jeff.  Yes?

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/29/13 at 08:00 PM ET

It is indeed.  I love me my saltwater tank

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Pics of dead stuff worked in our favor last series…. I see what ya did there.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/29/13 at 07:03 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Emerick’s voice makes we want to stab my eardrums.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/29/13 at 07:03 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Come on Bitches!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/29/13 at 07:04 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Leaving now, I’ll watch it next morning.

Good luck for us.