Abel to Yzerman

In The Face Of A Hurricane West Wind

My mood hasn't changed from five hours ago, or whenver I wrote that post. I'm avoiding going home. My DVR will hum like a male Dive fan.  And I'll wait as long as I can to start watching.  It will be torture.

But, at some point, I'm going to watch this game.

In the dark recesses of our most horrific pessimism, there is hope.  You hate the playoffs because you feel you should. You despise this night because your instincts tell you to.  You know the Wings will  lose this thing because it's a defense mechanism baby Jesus gave to you as a gift.

But it's not real. The real part of you actually believes they can do this.  It might even be the logical part, if that makes any sense. Logic tells you anything can happen in a Game 7 because you've seen every scenario. No one has seen what you have. No one.

As bad as 6 was and as horrible as the last two days have been?

We're in a better place than any other fan of any other team in history.  You literally have genuine, justified, real hope that your team can advance to the Western Conference Finals.  You have that hope because of who you are and because of who they are.

You are Detroit Red Wing fans.  We are owed this night, this opportunity because we are the elite and the arrogant. You have swagger because your team is the gold standard.

Do this. Burn. This. Fuching. Conference. Down.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.  And, yes Monkey, it's on.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 26 27 28 29 30 >       Next »

Primis's avatar

Posted by calquake on 05/29/13 at 11:51 PM ET

You had me up until Richards, ergh…

Would really like to hear what Larry Murphy would have to say right now.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/29/13 at 11:51 PM ET

It would be cliche, he would somehow botch the cliche so that it sounds weird, and he would use poor vocal dynamics and emphasis in doing it.

Posted by Primis on 05/29/13 at 11:54 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And that’s why we love him.

Posted by calquake on 05/29/13 at 11:55 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Babcock learned a lot about dealing with and maturing kids on the ice.  Not by choice initially, but he has grown a lot as a coach.  Good thing as the old Bowman “don’t trust kids” motto won’t fly in the salary cap era where prospects must be developed to get the best value.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/29/13 at 11:56 PM ET

Primis's avatar

“In the end DEETRoit just DIDN’T HAVE enough scoring to supPORT Jimmy Howard.  It was like COMING to a GUNfight with no AMMO!....” —Larry Murphy.

Posted by Primis on 05/29/13 at 11:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

You had me up until Richards, ergh…

He’s just an example of a guy who can take Fil’s place, possibly at a discount to redeem himself.  I believe in second chances and Richards was hardly the reason the Rags lost.

Posted by calquake on 05/29/13 at 11:58 PM ET

All the way down to Davy Jones Locker.

Posted by calquake on 05/29/13 at 11:54 PM ET

....cal, you’re starting to lose me ......unless you mean davy jones’ cloaca…..

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 05/30/13 at 12:00 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Are you assuming Miller won’t be re-signed?  I’ll take Miller over Tootoo or Emmerton.  Put Nyquist up on the second line, pick up Brad Richards if he’s bought out to take Fil’s place.  Tatar, Andersson and Brunner sounds good to me as does Nyquist, Richards and Franzen.  Keep Abby with Z and Dats.  I like that line-up.

Posted by calquake on 05/29/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Tootoo belongs IMO especially given who will be in the Wings division, but if Miller can play a passable pivot man, then yes, Emmerton should go.

The rest of your post is gravy, good sir. Gravy over fries and…fridge-raiding time.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/30/13 at 12:00 AM ET

Primis's avatar

None of this would have happened if we’d been able to watch on the Anaheim feed.  I’m just sayin’, guys…

Posted by Primis on 05/30/13 at 12:00 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

I know it’s early after losing but I wonder if Pavel may have checked out mentally already.  1 goal and 1 assist ain’t gonna cut it.  We all like to beat on Smith but admit it… Pavel did not show up where and when it counted.  I love him but he did not seem to be himself all series long.

Posted by calquake on 05/29/13 at 11:34 PM ET

Injury would be my first inclination, but yeah, it’s a valid point and it’s painful to say it, but it sorta wrecks any legitimacy to the claims of “best player on the planet”.  Best player on the planet gets more than 2 points in a seven game series.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/30/13 at 12:00 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Gravy over fries and…fridge-raiding time.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/30/13 at 12:00 AM ET

I hate you.  I have homemade sausage gravy in the fridge from earlier tonight, and I have fries in the freezer, and it’s freaking midnight already….. grrrr…

Posted by Primis on 05/30/13 at 12:02 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Datsyuk didn’t have a lot of support by his linemates, Cleary and Franzen.  And Abdelkader took a lot of stupid penalties.  When Abbie was playing smart, he was good on Pavel’s line.  Otherwise, it’s hard to fly like an eagle when surrounded by turkeys.  With the exception of a couple of plays, Mule had no drive to the net and was happy to try and play-make from the outside on the rush, negating a Datsuk setup more than once.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/30/13 at 12:03 AM ET

calquake's avatar

....cal, you’re starting to lose me ......unless you mean davy jones’ cloaca…..

Whadda ya mean starting? cheese  And yes… the cloaca is in the correct region… if Davy was a girl.

Posted by calquake on 05/30/13 at 12:05 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

You had me up until Richards, ergh…

Whats wrong with another aging veteran with great teeth?

Posted by pgoody on 05/30/13 at 12:05 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/29/13 at 11:54 PM ET

Yeah…so what’s your point?

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/30/13 at 12:05 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Datsyuk didn’t have a lot of support by his linemates, Cleary and Franzen.

I see your point but I think Hank was similarly hamstrung with Fil and Cleary.  Yet, my opinion only, Hank outplayed Pavel in this series and in the playoffs altogether.

Posted by calquake on 05/30/13 at 12:08 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by calquake on 05/30/13 at 12:08 AM ET

Hank is a standalone player.  Defensively and offensively.  Pavel needs support on his wing to shine.  Someone to drive the net or find an open shooting spot.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/30/13 at 12:11 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Let’s hope there’s a “Position Open” search posted on the bulletin board down at the Joe.

Posted by calquake on 05/30/13 at 12:15 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by calquake on 05/30/13 at 12:15 AM ET

That reminds me, isn’t about time for Babcock’s annual rant about how this team needs another top-six forward?  wink

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/30/13 at 12:17 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Acceptance is the first step.

Posted by calquake on 05/30/13 at 12:19 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Mule was the same way last playoffs ... seems since he signed that big contract he has become lazy IMO

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/30/13 at 12:25 AM ET

I’m out, 19.  Before I logoff for the rest of the night, thank you so much for a great playoff run.  We can do all the woulda, coulda, shoulda, whatever all we like.  The Wings have gone farther than anyone in the local and national MSM has ever dared them to go.  For that, I’m proud of this team and their character.  They really showed me something.

Cheers to the best damn professional sports Organ-I-zation in the world.  Cheers to the supreme Command Master Chief, George, and to you, 19.  Let’s do this again in September.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/30/13 at 12:28 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

Would really like to hear what Larry Murphy would have to say right now.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/29/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Hot Dogs for all!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/30/13 at 01:51 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

I’m the victim here! I was attacked by a doped up whore and a crazy *#$%@& dentist!

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/29/13 at 11:28 PM ET

I’ll go ahead and say I’m the only person who got this 12 Monkeys reference, as it’s one of my favorite movies of all time. What an incredible, incredible film. Anyways.

Cliche but I’m just glad we got to watch 14 more games than most people were expecting.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/30/13 at 08:09 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Whats wrong with another aging veteran with great teeth?

I wish I had his dentist.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/13 at 08:41 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Truth.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/13 at 08:42 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Red Wings scored 15 goals in the series and Chicago scored 16.  The last goal was literally the difference in the series.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/13 at 09:40 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Red Wings scored 15 goals in the series and Chicago scored 16. That complete and utter bullsh*t penalty shot from Frolik in Game 6 was literally the difference in the series.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/13 at 09:40 AM ET

Fixed.

Call it what it is.

Posted by Primis on 05/30/13 at 10:11 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Wally can walk for all i care - wait, no he can’t.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/30/13 at 11:26 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

So I know Albom posted this thing at 3:30am but thats no excuse…

Posted by pgoody on 05/30/13 at 11:56 AM ET

“Nick (Lidstriom) left, Homer (Thomas Holmstrom) left, Stewie (Brad Stewart) left, and we had some challenges earlier in the year,” Cleary said, summing up the shortened season. “With a week left … we won four in a row to get in. We won a Game 7 in Anaheim. Had a 3-1 lead against Chicago and we lose in OT in Game 7. …

Pathetic.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/30/13 at 12:21 PM ET

monkey's avatar

It’s still up, as quoted. Hookd on fonix werkd for me.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/13 at 12:58 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Someone high up the NHL ladder must have been involved with that article somehow.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/13 at 01:05 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/13 at 01:05 PM ET

No just someone who hasn’t watched a game in 15 years and is making it up as he goes along.

Posted by Primis on 05/30/13 at 01:17 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/30/13 at 12:28 AM ET

Cheers !!!!

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/30/13 at 03:00 PM ET

monkey's avatar

That’s what I said.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/13 at 03:33 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by calquake on 05/29/13 at 11:51 PM ET

I say keep Nyquil, Neo and Damien together. Those guys have chemistry and you could make an argument that they were best line for the Wings during the playoffs. Letting them develop together and keeping them together would allow Babs to have a permanent flying circus reunion with Abby joining the party like you suggest. The problem is that Damien is a UFA while Nyquil and Neo are RFA’s.

Eaves and Miller (even Emmerton) showed me a lot last night. They worked hard. They may have wanted it more than anybody else out there last night. Miller is a UFA and I agree I’d like to see him back.

Bert’s under contract for next year, so he’ll be around barring a buyout. Toots either never really got a fair shot or fit in, I can’t make up my mind. But we need someone like him for the move to the East. Plus, he’s under contract for two more years at $1.9mil. It’s not worth wasting a buyout on that cap number.

Buckets needs to join Drapes upstairs. He still has the desire, he just doesn’t have the wheels anymore.

I’m still of the opinion we need more help on the back end than another forward like Richards. White is a UFA and I wouldn’t be surprised if he cleaned his locker out weeks ago. The UFA market will be very interesting because the cap is going down and the pool of UFA’s is unknown at this point because of the amnesty buyouts.

Many of us wanted Mule to be an amnesty buyout during the regular season. He did not do much during the playoffs to change my mind: 4-2-6, -7, 19:30. And speaking of amnesty buyouts, Samy is under contract for one more year at $3mil.

Here are all the numbers courtesy of Capgeek

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/30/13 at 04:06 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Thinking of you OKie, and your family. Saw the bad weather hitting again today in OK.

Stay safe and sound.

Sincerely,
Kate

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/30/13 at 06:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Datsyuk, who can become an unrestricted free agent next summer, would like to work out a extension this summer.

“I would love to stay,” said Datsyuk, 34, who can sign an extension beginning July 5. “Yeah, I hope we agree and we sign a new deal. I hope we agree and I sign for more (years).”

Good mornin’ Bitches. Hope this pans out.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/01/13 at 09:01 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Kate, that might be the best news I get all day, maybe all week. Who knows? Maybe the next several months.

Posted by dougie on 06/01/13 at 09:36 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Some day, I’ll have the strength to just give this shit up.  Truly.  I was just telling a buddy how I can’t stand how a game 7 is ref’d differently than a playoff game, which is ref’d differently than a regular season game.  It’s really tough to take.  the lack of consistency is a tough pill to swallow.  Damnit I love me some Wings though…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 05/29/13 at 11:13 PM ET

That’s good about Pav and everything, but what ITDeuce said - above - about sums up where I am right now.  Plus I still don’t want to give any money to the NHL, but I absolutely loathe the NBC broadcast crew.  So…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/01/13 at 09:54 AM ET