Abel to Yzerman

In A Mock Draft, The Wings Select Dylan Cozens

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

In this mock draft, the Wings select center Dylan Cozens.

Cozens is a strong skater with high-end hockey sense. His 200-foot game has earned comparisons to Chicago Blackhawks superstar Jonathan Toews. Cozens is 6-foot-3, shoots right, and produced 34 goals and 50 assists for 84 points in 68 games for Lethbridge in the Western Hockey League. He had nine points in seven games for Canada at the 2019 U18 World Championship.

Cozens is fearless around the net, has a quick release, and an inner drive to be a go-to guy – “someone who can be out there when you need to hold the lead and out there when you need to regain the lead,” Cozens said at the combine. “I believe I have what it takes to be that guy at some point in my career, and I am going to work as hard as I can to be.”

Cozens expressed confidence he can make the jump to the NHL as soon as next season because of how good a skater he is. A summer in the gym should bulk up his 183-pound frame.

read on plus a mini mock draft by HSJ, just the top 6 picks...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Ansar Khan of Mlive,

(First in a series looking at potential selections for the Detroit Red Wings with the No. 6 pick in the June 21 draft)

Vasili Podkolzin

Position: Right wing

Height/Weight: 6-1/196

Shoots: Left

2018-19 team: St. Petersburg SKA (KHL)

2018-19 stats: 29 games, 8 goals, 5 assists, 13 points, 6 penalty minutes between three different leagues in Russia.

Why Red Wings would be interested: Who doesn’t want someone who can score and plays a tough, gritty style? Ideally, the Red Wings would like a defenseman, but Bowen Byram might be off the board at No. 6, in which case, Detroit likely will take the best available forward.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/05/19 at 08:21 AM ET

Primis's avatar

This draft is weird for DET.  They’re not getting Hughes or Kakko, and probably not Byram.  So unless they manage to get Byram, do something to move down to say take Knight, or they take Podkolzin (which I don’t want).... their pick is probably going to result in me shrugging and not caring much.

That’s not to say they won’t succeed or won’t matter…. but right now, at the draft, I’m not sure anyone else is really worth getting worked up over one way or another.

Posted by Primis on 06/05/19 at 12:51 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I’m with you Primis. I think they likely draft one of Cozens, Dach, and Zegras. I wouldn’t be upset with any of those selections.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 06/05/19 at 02:31 PM ET

Cozens will be my projection for the pick if he is still available, but I think 3-5 will be Turcotte, Cozens, Byram in this order.
And Detroit will be choosing between Dach, Podkolzin and Caufield. Or they will just trade down.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/05/19 at 05:35 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Or they will just trade down.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/05/19 at 05:35 PM ET

I don’t hate that idea either.  It sure looks like the guys you *don’t* want to miss/pass on will be gone by #6, so… if the right opportunity is there, why not?

Posted by Primis on 06/05/19 at 06:43 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Those 3 look like they will be available at the 6 position. Too bad Bryam will probably be gone by then. sick

Posted by bigfrog on 06/05/19 at 09:29 PM ET

Or they will just trade down.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/05/19 at 05:35 PM ET

I saw on an Avs forum that they might be interested in moving up from 16. I’m not sure I like that option. They also have #47 in the 2nd round. What else would they give to cover the gap?

Carolina has three 2nd round picks but their first round in #28. Moving up to the Wing’s #6 would probably ask for a lot.

Maybe Ottawa bites. They have #19 and two second round picks. Being in a rebuild might keep them from moving picks though…..

The Rangers have two 2nd round picks and #20 and the Habs have two 2nd round picks and #15. Both
also good starting points for discussion.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/06/19 at 06:05 PM ET