Abel to Yzerman

I’m Good With a Lockout…On One Condition

Updated below at 1806 EST with a great reason the lockout should actually happen.

The last time?  I was distraught.  I remember the summer leading up to the lockout, the fall, the winter months when we were teased by the meetings in Toronto, the daily tabulations about how many games they could get in if the season started _______.

Now? I don’t care. The stress just isn’t there.  The only outcome I’m concerned with is whether Gary Bettman gets fired.  That’s must-see tv right there.  He’s ruined our sport and the the one league left that had any character or integrity. He’s got to go.

But, as far as whether there’s a work stoppage, lockout, strike, hibernation? I don’t care.  I’ll make it through the summer with baseball, the fall and winter with football.

You won’t see another word written by me complaining about a lockout, or about missing hockey, or how I’m owed a season because of my loyalty.  All I want is Bettman fired. That’s it.  If this lockout lasts a year and the result is his midget ass getting canned? I’m good with that.

You don’t “win” the last lockout, then force another one because you’re not satisfied with the way you won the last one.  Of course, I realize Bettman is hired and retained by the owners and they’re making money, tons of it.  I don’t care.  Fire the shrew.  He’s ruined our sport and our league. He expanded it to markets that can’t support teams. He’s instituted a cap when one wasn’t necessary, to support the teams he built that never should have been conceived. He’s the laughing stock of all commissioners and he’s universally despised by the most passionate fan base in all of pro sports.

Fire the midget. Fire Bettman.  Somehow, someone who cares about the integrity of this game needs to fire him. Publicly.

That’s my only decree. Take as long as you want with this lockout.  I don’t give a shit.  I’ll live. You won’t read a word of me bitching about withdrawals or about how I’m getting shafted as a fan.  And I’ll be here when the season starts. I’m not boycotting my Wings. Sorry, but I’m not part of that stupid movement and empty threat.  I’ll be here. If there’s something hockey-related to talk about? I’ll comment here. But as far as the labor negotiations go, with short men in suits arguing publicly about a game neither one cares about? Nope. Not for me.

I’m not reading a single word about the CBA. I don’t care about it. I don’t care about revenue sharing, luxury taxes, arbritration or contract term limits. When the time comes I’ll read about goals and hits, suspensions, playoff seeding and parades down Woodward.  The rest of it? Delete.  Tell me when the season starts and I’ll be ready.

Just be sure you fire Bettman when it’s all said and done.

Update:  Ha. This is frigging classic.  Poor little Gallagher at Gametime bitching about what his poor life will be like without hockey, the sport that granted him the opportunity to rip on paraplegics and dimentia victims.

I want to kill Game Time before it becomes a thing I hate. I want to kill it before it becomes a shell of what I’d hoped it could be. I’d rather see it die - rather kill it myself - than let it be slowly strangled by the intermingled hands of two overpaid professional negotiators like Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman.

You’re not just negotiating for your respective parties, you dicks. You’re screwing with your fan base. We have already suffered enough at the hands of our favorite sport, and most of us came back full force. This time, though, I suspect many of us won’t be so forgiving.

This is our sport more than it is yours. And this is my baby more than it is a pawn in your game. Try me.

Haaa…yep. Kill it. Do it. Kill it.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Why would Bettman be fired? He does the owners’ bidding and represents what they want. The owners love him and he’s generated relationships with some of the big name guys, so he’s not going anywhere.

Sorry, Chief. Its wishful thinking. You want him fired? Don’t support the league anymore. Don’t go to games, don’t buy Center Ice, don’t buy merchandise. Let the owners know who gives them their money.

I for one don’t need the NHL anymore, and won’t be watching if there’s another work stoppage. I’ll go watch minor and college hockey.

Posted by Jeremy on 08/17/12 at 02:02 PM ET

Too bad it’s not gonna happne… Didnt he just got a contract extension, or some crap like that?

And here I was, thinking I was the only one not getting into those CBA posts…  Guess I’m not alone, then!  Cheers!

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 08/17/12 at 02:03 PM ET

There’s literally no chance Bettman gets fired.  None whatsoever.  You may as well wish for unicorns to come and crap whipped cream on your driveway.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/17/12 at 02:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I don’t give a shit if they lock out. I’ll catch up on the Lions for the first time in years.

Last time, I was right there with ya, Chief. Upset and distraught at the lack of any games being played at all. Now? While I haven’t been looking forward to one, I have more than anticipated one. I’ll devote my time to catching up on sleep and following the Lions and the Griffins.

The league worked to get fans, old and new, into the sport over the last seven years. If they want to shoot themselves in the head by locking out, more power to them.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/17/12 at 02:21 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Meh. I’ve seen it.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/17/12 at 02:29 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

unicorns to come and crap whipped cream

Mmmm.. unicorn poo

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 08/17/12 at 02:32 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I want him out too, Chief.  Why don’t the owners feel the same way we all do?...

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 08/17/12 at 02:34 PM ET

“You won’t see another word written by me”

HALLELUJAH

Posted by pig benis on 08/17/12 at 02:37 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I am absolutely NEVER watching another NHL game again. Until someone in a Red Wings sweater takes the ice.

Posted by dougie on 08/17/12 at 02:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Unicorns don’t crap whipped cream, you idiots.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/17/12 at 02:45 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Fire the shrew.  He’s ruined our sport and our league.

Truer words have never been spoken.  And the owners know fans hate Little Gary.  They’re also smart enough to know that the fans’ enthusiasm and the League’s success has happened in spite of his actions.  What’s happened is they committed to their CEO, their guy, and they gave him a chance to bear out his vision.  Rather than toss him aside, they’ve listened to his pleas about how its all working.  How, y’know, clearly League revenues are up sky high because there are teams in ‘emerging markets’, and not because all the traditional markets continue to prop the NHL up.  And even though they don’t totally believe him, they’re willing to give him a bit more time to make it all happen (“Seriously, we’re definitely going to recover all your costs when we sell the Coyotes….I promise!”).

But Gary’s getting old and so is his act.  The whole being-a-puppet-for-the-owners thing is way overblown.  That’s just not how these things work.  He is the one that guides them…thats what he’s paid to do.  The owners lose a ton of money in a lockout, way way more than the players do.  They can go to Europe and continue to make a living.  The owners can’t transplant their business temporarily.  They want to make money, but Bettman wants to save face and ‘win’.  Who’s expansion plan do you think the players are insulting when they say, “Oh we’ll do our part to support franchises that make no money”?  Revenue-sharing in itself is an indictment of hockey in small markets, aka Little Gary’s wet dream.  So he’s out to prove he was right.

Posted by BrendonR on 08/17/12 at 02:49 PM ET

Your comments loose all credibility when you use phrases like “fire the midget.”  I’ve been a viewer of Kukla’s Korner for a while but I’ve grown tired of contributors who can’t make their point without insulting people.

Why do you write this way?

Posted by thegameishockey on 08/17/12 at 02:52 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by thegameishockey on 08/17/12 at 01:52 PM ET

Why are you insulted?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/17/12 at 02:57 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Why do you understand Bettman is paid by the Owners ! he does & says what they want him too

Posted by Evilpens on 08/17/12 at 02:59 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Well, there’s always wishing for a big fat heart attack…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/17/12 at 03:19 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Why do you write this way?

You can go into preferences, and unclick any blogs that you don’t wish to view
It works really well except for “TPSH”, and for some reason, that clown shows up on my KK feed, no matter what I set my preference to.

Posted by dougie on 08/17/12 at 03:20 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Why do you write this way?

Welcome to Abel to Yzerman.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/17/12 at 03:21 PM ET

thegameishockey,
You’re not going to find any Pulitzer pieces in this forum.

Nailed it, Chief! Best suggestion I’ve read all off-season. CBA news is getting exhausting, but I do fully support the PA.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 08/17/12 at 03:23 PM ET

Heaton's avatar

So we fire the guy who speaks for the owners only for the owners to hire another Bettman who will speak the same words.  Coolio.

Posted by Heaton on 08/17/12 at 03:35 PM ET

This is a fight between the rich owners and the poor ones, between good hockey markets and bad ones. The reason the owners want such a high give back is the NHL will own 5 or 6 teams in the next year as the league goes through contraction. Of course you cant say that but someone has to take the fall for Bettman’s stupidity. The owners want to have the players pay for owner and Bettman stupidity.

In protest I have cancelled my auto renewal on the Hockey News and Center Ice. Screw it. There is plenty of other things to do and spend my money on.

Posted by Frank on 08/17/12 at 03:41 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 08/17/12 at 01:59 PM ET

Why do you assume all the owners have all the exact same opinions?

“loose credibility” was my nickname in college.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/17/12 at 03:42 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

I’ve been a viewer of Kukla’s Korner for a while

Posted by thegameishockey on 08/17/12 at 01:52 PM ET

Liar.  If you had been a regular viewer for any length of time you would know that A2Y isn’t about “credibility” or other such high-minded ideals.  You would also know that comments like yours just provide us with an afternoon of entertaining target practice.  And EASY target practice…not like clay pigeons, more like beer bottles on the picnic table.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 08/17/12 at 03:46 PM ET

I have been a reader for a long while but I am just tired of it.  So enjoy it if it makes you feel good.

Posted by thegameishockey on 08/17/12 at 03:52 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by thegameishockey on 08/17/12 at 02:52 PM ET

Long enough that your account was created today?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 08/17/12 at 03:59 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Long enough that your account was created today?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 08/17/12 at 02:59 PM ET

Oh snap.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/17/12 at 04:02 PM ET

Truer words have never been spoken.  And the owners know fans hate Little Gary.

That’s why they don’t want him fired. With Bettman as the lighning rod, they don’t get blamed as much as they should.

Posted by Herm from the office on 08/17/12 at 04:06 PM ET

Cal's avatar

Jiri?  That you?

Posted by Cal on 08/17/12 at 04:15 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by dougie on 08/17/12 at 02:20 PM ET

I see I am not the only one with this problem.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/17/12 at 04:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I lurked for a while before I joined the conversation, so it’s not exactly like it’s unusual for somebody to say he’s been a long-time reader on the first day he actually comments.

Of course, on my first day of commenting, I didn’t bitch that a writer I’ve apparently been following for some time wrote something that fits entirely within his writing style, which I just so happen to not like.

If you want somebody to write stuff that better-fits your own sensibilities than Kuklas Korner offers a wide variety of blogs, as well as a members’ section where you’re allowed to share your own writing (which I’m guessing would fit your sensibilities).

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/17/12 at 04:20 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Your comments loose all credibility…

... when you don’t know the difference between “loose” and “lose.”

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 08/17/12 at 04:30 PM ET

Paul's avatar

For those who are having issues with excluding certain blogs from the homepage, this issue will be resolved very shortly.

I am in the testing mode of the new software and if all goes well, you should see it within the next 4-5 days.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/17/12 at 04:43 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Excellent.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 08/17/12 at 04:55 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

So enjoy it if it makes you feel good.

Posted by thegameishockey on 08/17/12 at 02:52 PM ET

It does.  Thank you.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 08/17/12 at 05:07 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

[Why do you assume all the owners have all the exact same opinions?

“loose credibility” was my nickname in college./b]

what color is the sky in your alternative Universe ?

Posted by Evilpens on 08/17/12 at 06:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

what color is the sky in your alternative Universe ?

It’s blue.

and Zoidberg is red.

And somewhere out there is a guy who just goes by “pens”, and the only difference between you and him is the outcome of coin flips.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/17/12 at 06:11 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 08/17/12 at 05:03 PM ET

He has a point.

Think about it. The owners, while they often vote unanimously, don’t always agree with one another. Do you know why they often vote unanimously? Because if someone doesn’t toe the party line, they’re eventually forced out of the club.

The next time you read a story about a vote by the BoG (such as, when a team is sold, relocated, league expansion, ad infinitum), remember what I said. Then, watch for the next time there are meetings. Watch for the proposals, then for the votes. Pay close attention, because it might just be enlightening.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/17/12 at 06:16 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Michigan has the 2 best teams in the Big Ten.  We should have a great football season.

Posted by w2j2 on 08/17/12 at 06:20 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/17/12 at 05:11 PM ET

Is bender chrome or gold?

and did Fry and Leela hook up before 2007?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 08/17/12 at 06:56 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Bite my shiny metal ass.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ‘13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/17/12 at 07:29 PM ET

VooX's avatar

As a loyal Wings fan who didn’t miss more than 20 Wings’ games altogether for 3 or 4 seasons of hockey following the lockout/“offseason”, I have watched less than 12 games total the past couple of seasons.  All thanks to the horrible experience of talking with Bettman in person at the NHL development camp a couple of summers ago.

Since JJ from Kansas and his sister, Anne, joined me for the Yzermab HHOF ceremony Leafs game and H2H I have not attended a game in person.

Trust me, it is very easy to leave hockey behind and not look back.

Granted, I’m an angry and emo guy when it comes to dealing with anybody’s bullshit.  Maybe you’d say I’m not a loyal enough fan, Chief, but I have a hard time being loyal to a league that truly doesn’t give a fuch about its players or fans.

Our family had a chance to buy Winter Classic tickets, but decided against even bothering.  The past couple of seasons we have sold every single Leafs game, in bulk, to a local scalper.  The end result, my family has not financially supported the NHL in any way for two seasons.  Forget the years of Center Ice paid for and the 25 years we’ve had Leafs season tickets.  The league won’t see another dime from us, ever.  As long as there is a high demand for tickets in Toronto, and there always will be, we will profit on the league by selling off our seats rather than allowing the league to profit off of us.

Fuch Bettman.  Fuch the NHL.  Life is far too short for their bullshit.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/17/12 at 07:48 PM ET

1 2 >       Next »